Why are gaming communities becoming so toxic/canerous?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I don't know if any of you follow angryjoe reviews, but he is one of the biggest content creators on youtube catering to gaming. Anyway recently his fans have been blowing him because he announced that he is taking two months off. They have really been saying awful things, and picking apart his channel and harassing him FOR more videos. It's like these people are not grasping that they are talking to a real human who has done this for 9 years straight, so two months off is well deserved for the amount of work he puts into his videos(also the fact that these people arent entitled to anything).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpHLGNHyzU

Another thing I notice, is its no secret that the internet/nerdy communities have a strong anti-pc and alt-right element that is pretty prevalent. I understand the antipc sentiment in gaming, but ever since gamergate(which I feel made everyone look stupid) any hint of diversity/inclusiveness in gaming is shot down as sjw trash(honestly I see more people complain about sjws, then I see any actual sjws). Like the backlash watchdogs 2 got for having a black main character or mass effect andromeda messing up female characters. I feel like the anti sjw echo chamber has created a whitchhunt, to the point where now the community is coming off like a bunch of pensive try hards that are against anything out of the status quo.

Just like sexist/racist has become the go to trigger to derail someones comments. Now people immediately label something sjw/pc. Its funny how these things go full circle

In a lot of ways I feel like gamers are becoming the moral/standard police that we didn't want controlling our community.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mercenary848

Crap even the way gamers treat gamers who prefer a different console is pretty aggressively haha.

I dont know if you all remember that big anti gaming politician jack thompson. If he saw the way gamers send death threats, harass eachother, etc...he would have a field day. Its so polarising how Adam Sessler could be seen as a hero one day for standing up against people like jack thompson, and the next be chipped apart by gamers for being too pc.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

I don't get the whole SJW thing. I never used the term but have read it from time to time. I get it has negative connotation, has something to do with "forced" inclusion of females and minority groups.

Whatever.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

And dumb while we're at it. For example:

IGN: The Witcher 3 is an amazing game in a place where few other RPG's can reach- 9.3 Amazing

Gamers: You're fucking morons. You gave Black Ops 3 a 9, a completely different genre game, **** Ign for giving the game such a low score (9.3 is low apparently lulz) it's a 10!

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

youtube celebrity fandoms are obsessive, creepy, deranged, entitled, militant, and shameless.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

What a way to misrepresent the whole Angry Joe vs his fans. Let's face it, for most fans, his reviews are the only thing worth watching. He came out promising he is doing more reviews. Then he was gone for weeks just to come back and say he leave another 2 months. Fans wouldn't be angry if he didn't promiss too much and if he didn't went off weaks before announcing he's taking his time off. My boss would fire me if I promiss him to do something and then I do nothing for weaks and when it's due I tell him I'll take another 2 months off.

That aside, yes, there is a lot of toxic communities around gaming. Games like LoL are horrible. However, there are also some fantastic communities, especially around niche titles, like Disgaea for example. Also don't let some loud few toxic people represent the whole community. Yes, there were 1000s of toxic comments in Angry Joes comments ... but there were millions that didn't comment (anything toxic)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

Anonymity and mob mentality, that's all it is.

I would not read too much into it. If you found out who these kids were, got their mom to read what they have been saying, and had her sit down with them they'd watch what they were saying.

But you can't, so [unfortunately] the burden of responsibility is on the content provider to have a thick skin, or turn off comments, and so forth. Honestly, I would tell anyone going onto the internet publicly to think twice about it because you are opening yourself up to criticism of some kind no matter what. You could make amazing reviews but if you are 20 pounds overweight, 2% of the comments will probably call you a fatass.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

It's kinda sad but upvoting and downvoting is one of the few outlets of approaching an opinion heard gamers actually have. The gaming media are in a disconnected cocoon, primarily serving Publishers or whatever wares they can hawk. It's probably why people like AngryJoe, Totalbiscuit and what-not arose, they actually complain about things like DLC and PC specific features that sites outside of a few centric ignored.

All these people sending bomb threats and stuff to the likes of Anita Sarkeesian are quite obviously assholes, but on the other hand declaring any criticism as harassment, and any dissenting opinion misogyny has become to the go-to scapegoat. Left-wing media with an agenda (Polygon) will put her and her type of views on a pedestal and never challenge it because it's self-serving.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

I think it's just symptomatic of the larger problems going on in society in general. Many people have an overwhelming sense of entitlement these days and when you put that together with the anonymity of the Internet then this is the kind of toxicity that we have now. Too many spoiled children who think that the world should revolve around them.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mercenary848

@Sam3231 said:

I don't get the whole SJW thing. I never used the term but have read it from time to time. I get it has negative connotation, has something to do with "forced" inclusion of females and minority groups.

Whatever.

You and me both brother, but I wiuld be lying if I said I haven't been called it before(and you may have too depending on what side of a debate you fell on). Mad world.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mercenary848

@mrbojangles25 said:

I would not read too much into it. If you found out who these kids were, got their mom to read what they have been saying, and had her sit down with them they'd watch what they were saying.

But you can't, so [unfortunately] the burden of responsibility is on the content provider to have a thick skin, or turn off comments, and so forth. Honestly, I would tell anyone going onto the internet publicly to think twice about it because you are opening yourself up to criticism of some kind no matter what. You could make amazing reviews but if you are 20 pounds overweight, 2% of the comments will probably call you a fatass.

I hear you, I guess I am just old school. When I started using these forums and getting into debates online it rarely felt personal or like people had agendas. Now awadays it feel like instead of it being a couple posters with key differences on an issue willing to hash it out, it's now a freaking ideology death match(IE look at the political gamers board). And don't get me wrong I love it, but at the same time their is no real discourse; just the same tired buzzwords.

I miss the old days where you and I could rip each other to pieces with long qoute chains filled with links, citations, and videos proving our point and completely rip crap on each others ideology. And then in the next thread we would act like it never happened, and just shoot the shit about anything. People are so solidified in their rigid ways of thinking these days, and posters don't really get to know each other outside a few talking points. Conversation is dying :(

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mercenary848

@ArchoNils2 said:

What a way to misrepresent the whole Angry Joe vs his fans. Let's face it, for most fans, his reviews are the only thing worth watching. He came out promising he is doing more reviews. Then he was gone for weeks just to come back and say he leave another 2 months. Fans wouldn't be angry if he didn't promiss too much and if he didn't went off weaks before announcing he's taking his time off. My boss would fire me if I promiss him to do something and then I do nothing for weaks and when it's due I tell him I'll take another 2 months off.

That aside, yes, there is a lot of toxic communities around gaming. Games like LoL are horrible. However, there are also some fantastic communities, especially around niche titles, like Disgaea for example. Also don't let some loud few toxic people represent the whole community. Yes, there were 1000s of toxic comments in Angry Joes comments ... but there were millions that didn't comment (anything toxic)

I agree, but at what point does that justify threatening to kill someone? And I know you aren't justifying that behavior, and I understand that your gripe with him is legitimate, but joe is just my most recent example. Also if his fan base was pre teens-teenagers then it would make sense, but we have dudes in their mid 20s-40s threatening him.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mercenary848

@Storm_Marine said:

youtube celebrity fandoms are obsessive, creepy, deranged, entitled, militant, and shameless.

I agree, so much with all of this. I just worry about the implications people will use of this to talk about gaming. This type of behavior has caused so many greats like Adam Sessler to turn his back on us, because the shit heads became more and more vocal and abrasive.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Anonymity of course is at play, along with a lack of consequence and a distance between the players. It's easier to curse out a computer screen then someone sitting before you face to face, not to mention the worst that can happen if you are toxic is either a kick off a server or a ban.
Not to mention there is a competitive aspect in online games which makes it even more easier when it puts you in a "us vs them", which some take to a whole different level then others and victory is the only goal come hell or high water.

Not to mention some people are just obnoxious, childish and pretty awful in general.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#15 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@Sam3231 said:

Whatever.

SJWs kept me entertained on YouTube then I discovered one in my own damn office. I took her down hard but then she was still there the next week and it was pretty awkward let me tell you.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#16 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:
@Sam3231 said:

Whatever.

SJWs kept me entertained on YouTube then I discovered one in my own damn office. I took her down hard but then she was still there the next week and it was pretty awkward let me tell you.

I should be more engaged in office politics and maybe I would find the SJWs. I'm pretty isolated most of the day though. Kind of like Milton from Office Space.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Nailed it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The anonymity of the Internet creates assholes, pure and simple.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The anonymity of the Internet creates assholes, pure and simple.

I don't think it creates them....they exist out in the world too.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Mercenary848:

I could never get into the YouTuber thing. AngryJoe made some funny reviews, sure but I never really held his opinion much on what he reviewed. To me, every YouTuber is a normal person. If they make another video, fine. If not, then move on.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@killered3 said:

@Mercenary848:

I could never get into the YouTuber thing. AngryJoe made some funny reviews, sure but I never really held his opinion much on what he reviewed. To me, every YouTuber is a normal person. If they make another video, fine. If not, then move on.

Indeed. I can't see why these people are so important in individual's lives.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mercenary848

@LJS9502_basic said:
@killered3 said:

@Mercenary848:

Yeah, I think of it like a tv show. I loved Oz on HBO and its still my favorite show but I am not threatening Christopher Meloni because it isn't on the air. I think its because its just one guys youtube channel and he interacts with them, they get a little too familiar.

Says a lot about human behavior

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts
@Mercenary848 said:

Anyway recently his fans have been blowing him because he announced that he is taking two months off.

Whoa! Those are some dedicated fans.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mercenary848

@SOedipus: I wanna fix it....but I don't want to change it

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@killered3 said:

@Mercenary848:

in some cases they're "proxy friends" for viewers

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Archangel3371: Spot on.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Mercenary848: Maybe a minority opinion but I think it's because people who post in gaming communities don't post their topics in the correct forums.

On a completely unrelated note, I've moved your topic from OT to GD. ;)

-Byshop

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts
@Byshop said:

@Mercenary848: Maybe a minority opinion but I think it's because people who post in gaming communities don't post their topics in the correct forums.

-Byshop

Way to kill the thread. No one posts in Game Discussion.

I agree with the general sentiment here though. Online gamer communities are so toxic. It's a cesspool. I wish there was something we could do. Maybe people who aren't crazy could post more and show that these idiots are a minority and don't represent gamers as a whole. But instead their voice is the loudest and the impressionable jump on to these extremely negative and ignorant bandwagons that get created.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@Mercenary848: Depends, I'm finding more now in various Forums that overall want to discuss games/ platforms than in previous years. And for the purpose to chat about our experience and enjoyment of games.

However you still get those that heavily trash games/ platforms even when they've clearly never played to warrant a valid discussion. I'm all for valid criticisms, but when the given context raises more confusion than reason. It makes me wonder what they're trying to accomplish in the conversation, especially one that's so alien to them.

Actual in-game fanbases varies. Depends what the game is, and how popular that game is, yet regardless you should be prepared for the unknown. Not everyone is going to be respectful, and not everyone is going to be a jerk.

As for the Angry Jo person, that might just be more a Youtube issue than Gamers that enjoy the hobby. Youtube is filled with terrible communities that trash everything.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mercenary848

@mark1974 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I agree with the general sentiment here though. Online gamer communities are so toxic. It's a cesspool. I wish there was something we could do. Maybe people who aren't crazy could post more and show that these idiots are a minority and don't represent gamers as a whole. But instead their voice is the loudest and the impressionable jump on to these extremely negative and ignorant bandwagons that get created.

Haha he was write, and this thread died in OT lol(no surprise). Also got your opinion so its all good.

Its been awhile, I havent seen you in OT or SW recently. Been hiding out here?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I've been following different gaming forums for 15 years, I can tell you the forums are just the same as ever.

Most people know how to behave, but there are always few professional trolls, and lot of needy newbies that keep talking crap very loudly.

Those newbies tend to get kicked out pretty fast, but, just as fast, they are replaced by another patch of just as needy newbies with Big Opinions.

It has always been so.

Youtube has changed it a bit, though, because on Youtube, modding does not work the same way as in forums. So, if the tuber is too tired or jaded to remove negative comments from below his vids, then they stay there for all to see, making it look like the whole Youtube is filled with haters...

Of course, some tubers do not remove negs on purpose. By letting negs stay, they make sure those sad trolls watch and comment on their every vid, making the view count of their vids higher.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@mark1974 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Haha he was write, and this thread died in OT lol(no surprise). Also got your opinion so its all good.

Its been awhile, I havent seen you in OT or SW recently. Been hiding out here?

Yeah, sort of. I find System wars pretty hard to take sometimes and I felt like it was killing brain cells. OT hasn't been quite the same since they created Political Gamers and that place can be pretty depressing sometimes too. I'm trying not to think too much about our disastrous administration at this point.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

@N30F3N1X: lol so true.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Yup GD has been dead for ages.

But communities are toxic because it´s the internet and they can be anonymous and kids have grown up with it where there is no consequences for being a dick.

Oh, also not forgetting that sites like Gamespot and youtube rewards shitty behaviour or have been in the past.

SXSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 SXSS
Member since 2017 • 23 Posts

@Mercenary848: The outside world and media is affecting gamers of such. I remember playing games online in early 2000 and it was all like WOW look the world and people getting together and identifying each other through slang lol i.e. m8 and ello etc. But it seems now the games have gone to poop compared to then and now people get on just to troll others or create a toxic game of hate in order to start revolutions online lol. I blame 4chan I used it for quiet some time for laughter and stuff but I feel like it has died in memes and jokes so people that post on forums to troll ended up playing games to troll people to make silly videos and harass. I didnt even know what SJW was lol until now, I think the media is to blame for that. People have friends of different colors and life styles so they feel they need to stand up but tbh it only makes things worse and empowers these people who think they can joke around all day and let trump bomb Korea without consequence. But of course that is a whole other topic!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't have the answer but I want to emphasize as one of the people who's been playing games for a while now, that this wasn't always the case with online communities. It has most definitely gotten worse over time. And yes I'm aware that we tend to remember only the good parts. But I'm certain that before the release of WoW in 2004 and for some years thereafter I have never ever felt any desire to quit a game over its online community. And yes I played online games.

I've grown more stable and wiser throughout the years, yet in recent times I have quit playing several online games (Vermintide, Rainbow 6 Siege, League of Legends) due to their online toxicity that even impacted my gameplay when ignoring the verbal side of it (votekicks and such) and I find myself actively avoiding games entirely because of it. Clearly there has been a change in the online communities over time.

I don't believe in evil. I do believe in misunderstandings and fears. If I had to take a guess it would be that the meaning of being a gamer has changed in the public eye and people are behaving accordingly. (A matter of skill, for example. Having to be better than others. Having to be compared to others. Internet tribal mind forming? One of the masters of the internet predicted/observed this.)

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I don't like AJ at all, in fact I hate his reviews and I think that he is a sheep that follows the majority of the opinions on a bunch of forums just for the views. Altough I can't deny that he works hard on those reviews so the man could prob use a vacation.

But in the end he should expect it. You're in the spotlight and people judge you, especially if it's anonymous on the internet.

The thing is, developers don't like to take risks anymore, you say that you see more anti SJW people, yet you don't look at what developers do with their games.

I never ever think about it but now I just realise that everything is just taking the easy road. For the fact that they are scared for a bunch of comments from SJW.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Well guys like Angry Joe and Jimquisition are shit posters/trolls/clickbait artists so their fanbase acts just like them.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

@ArchoNils2: Agreed with the Nagry Joe comment. The guys lost it to be fair. You do not promise things and then not deliver and worse of all he delivers other things in its stead. I get it the other videos are easier and generate more or as much cash as the reviews.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Been that way since forever. Luckily, back in the day you'd have SNES vs Genesis fanboys in arcades and quick stops- but the beauty of that was it was you in real life, not hiding behind a username or alt account lol. Then again, stabbings at arcades in the mid 90's were a regular occurrence. Sometimes gang stuff, sometimes some goof just wouldn't shut up about "blast processing". Ahhh, the good old days.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Two points: first, it's not that gamers (actually, people in general) are becoming more Toxicâ„¢ (buzzword), it's that their opinions are being delivered to your eyeballs on a much more massive and unfiltered basis than 15 years ago. A decade or so ago, a nobody who wanted to send hate to a game developer had to physically write an email or letter to their company, while now you can just tweet it out for the world to see and pro-censorship advocates to point to.

Second: there's a line between people who complain about a black/female protagonist because they're genuinely racist/sexist and people who simply point out that diversity as a marketing strategy is a scummy, condescending practice. Anyone who has trouble telling the difference might want to see a doctor for the early symptoms of the illness known as "ideological bias".

RPGFanatic619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By RPGFanatic619
Member since 2017 • 13 Posts

Blame the New Generation of gamers.

The Witcher community was never toxic until Witcher 3 came which brought all the psycho bioware fans and teens together to create a fanboy community which criticized every rpg that isn't Witcher 3.

CRPG fanbases used to be a place where fans share their experiences, but nowadays it's the place where kids under the guise of adults complain about all games not having depth.

It's like gaming has been polluted with kids and teens that can't tell the difference between stupid and black, parents should really watch what their kids do online.