Who would you consider a 'hardcore' gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Who would you consider a hardcore gamer?

For me it would be someone who plays and enjoys games of most genres and doesen't buy the same game every year *cough* Call of Duty *cough FIFA. And also someone who isn't put of a game buy graphics.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I think that anyone who insists on making the casual and hardcore distinction should be hung by their heels in a scorpion pit in front of a sign reading 'There Are Only Gamers'.

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I don't know. Somebody who can finish Dodonpachi on one credit?

Not me in other words.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Someone who had complete Dead Space 2 in Hardcore mode and Vanquish Challenge 6 without cheating. In other words: me. :P
LarryBraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 LarryBraz
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I think that anyone who insists on making the casual and hardcore distinction should be hung by their heels in a scorpion pit in front of a sign reading 'There Are Only Gamers'.

Business_Fun
I agree! But wouldn't you say there's a distinction between core gamers and casual gamers? I think there is. I think core gamers are those that clamor for the triple-A titles week after week and even may delve into some indie stuff if it becomes popular enough. Casual gamers may pick up a major title from time to time, but they spend most of their gaming hours with pick up and play games, browser based experiences, or even table to games (although those can get a bit core as well depending on the game). Interesting questions though, didn't expect to see that asked in this day and age.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
Someone who identifies themselves first and foremost as a gamer.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Who you describe as 'hardcore', I would describe as what should define a 'gamer', though if they enjoy Call of Duty and FIFA every year, it's their choice as "gamers". Personally, I've been a "PC Gamer", and an "arcade and pinball gamer" since 1982, and a "console gamer" since 1988 when I got my NES, and currently I'm a PC, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox, PS2, GameCube, DreamCast, N64, SNES, Sega Genesis, NES gamer who does favor particular genres more than others but does not hate on any specific franchises just to set myself apart from others. Oh, and I also enjoy my PSP and GBA SP at times.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts
I think there are just gamers I always laugh on XBL when kids put "pro" in their gamer zone they arnt MLG they don't play in tournaments nor get paid to play set the damn thing to recreation or underground cause that's what it really should be
LarryBraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LarryBraz
Isn't that "pro" just meaning like expert or really really really good? That's what I always thought. Why would Microsoft thnk they would be the registry for Professional gamers, I think they were just going for experience of play. I could see if they had a pro-am designation, which would be kind of cool, though.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#10 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Someone who has played Valkyria Chronicles and likes Edy and Anisette Nelson. :P People who game for themselves, not for achievements or trophies, methinks.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
It's gamer that spend lot of time for games and/or can survive playing high difficulty, obscure slow gameplay, AVGN-class annoyance games and finish and 100%. thu i belive what is considered hardcore today is not so hardcore, but it's not so casual, so i belive there also middle class :)
LarryBraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LarryBraz
LOL! Midcore gamers!
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
no one because there is no such thing
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
No such thing as 'hardcore' and 'casual'. There is only the gamer and the games they play. What does it matter if people play games like Farmville and Sims Social, which are games in their own way, or enjoys a game like Harvest Moon and Elder Scrolls. You play video games then you are just another gamer like many others who play video games.
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Finish this "I want to be that guy" game then you're considered as hardcore gamer. :P

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Who would you consider a hardcore gamer?

For me it would be someone who plays and enjoys games of most genres and doesen't buy the same game every year *cough* Call of Duty *cough FIFA. And also someone who isn't put of a game buy graphics.

RageQuitter69

That.

And if videogames are part of your personality.

And if you don't give up,even on games like DMC.

:)

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Business_Fun
There is definitely a distinction between groups. You have the lay audience, the term casual actually fits their category well. These are the people who buy the new edition of the popular game that all of their friends are playing. Then you have the game enthusiasts, or what most people call "hardcore gamers." Personally I find the term is juvenile and makes the community look like a bunch of 12 year old boys; however, the enthusiasts are the ones who delve deeper into more obscure games. They'll go back to classics and replay them where as a the casual audience tend to only want the newest game. They'll buy much much more in terms of software during the year than casual gamers who are just happy with one or two games to enjoy. Gamespot is a community where game enthusiasts are the majority. There are in depth discussions about games that most would think are dumb. Now I'm not saying the games they play differ between enthusiasts and casual audiences. A casual audiences and enthusiasts might buy Assassin's Creed every year; a casual audience and enthusiasts might buy CoD every year. But an enthusiasts would just be looking up news, developers, names of the industry, unheard of games, old games, etc. Games are just like any other medium. You can make this distinction with films and books too.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#19 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I think that anyone who insists on making the casual and hardcore distinction should be hung by their heels in a scorpion pit in front of a sign reading 'There Are Only Gamers'.Business_Fun

This. Those terms are dumb. There has to be better ways to make a distinction.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]I think that anyone who insists on making the casual and hardcore distinction should be hung by their heels in a scorpion pit in front of a sign reading 'There Are Only Gamers'.c_rake

This. Those terms are dumb. There has to be better ways to make a distinction.

would you prefer "vanilla" gamers and "Neapolitan" gamers?
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#22 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

would you prefer "vanilla" gamers and "Neapolitan" gamers?Allicrombie

They'd be better than the current terms we have. Doubt they'd be widely adopted, though. Most would probably struggle with "Neapolitan."

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Since you can be hardcore and still suck at video games, it doesn't really mean much to be hardcore. Yes, you've played ever single release this last year, but since you can't get past the first level on Dark Souls I won't be impressed much. There are friends that only play fighting games and they kick butt at them, but I don't consider them a lesser gamer just because they don't play COD or Uncharted.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
someone who plays hours of video games no matter the game or system its on, just because they love video games. All other gamers are casual. you cant be a bias hardcore xbox360 player who plays COD and 2 other games. I have over 150 games right now over my PS3/Wii/PC/3DS and that doesnt count all the ones ive traded over the last couple years. I dont have an xbox360 because my 1st died less then a couple months old and i sold it for a Wii at launch and still have the same Wii.(and the same launch ps3)
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Since you can be hardcore and still suck at video games, it doesn't really mean much to be hardcore. Yes, you've played ever single release this last year, but since you can't get past the first level on Dark Souls I won't be impressed much. There are friends that only play fighting games and they kick butt at them, but I don't consider them a lesser gamer just because they don't play COD or Uncharted.Lostboy1224
Of course, there are some enthusiasts who focus on one primary genre; however, they differ from casual gamers by mastering it and playing Street Fighter or MvC religiously. They'll also be part of the inside community that is talking about the games and strategies constantly. Also Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't that hard. Demon's Souls was amazing fun beat it in the January of 2011. Dark Souls, I've only played about 2 hours of it since launch (Uni is bogging me down from playing PS3), but in the 2 hours I've beaten 4 bosses. Those games are not hard they just require patience.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I would consider hardcore pretty much someone who doesnt just play mainstream titles like Call of duty and/or casual games.

Avatar image for FieryAdeptTiger
FieryAdeptTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FieryAdeptTiger
Everyone is a hardcore gamer in their own way.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
If you post on these forums, you're a hardcore gamer. If you know what a hardcore gamer is, you're hardcore gamer.
true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

A person who:

is an expert gamer

comfortable with all genres basically the mains like FPS, RPG etc.

has an unbreakable bond with his games

has quite a knowledge all about games

is a master of at least 1 platform

A person like ME! Addicted!