Who wold enjoy a Grand Theft Auto where the protagonist is a woman?..umm me.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameFreak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GameFreak523
Member since 2008 • 148 Posts

No, I'm not posting this jusy because I am horny or I want exploit women. I've thought about this subject for a long while now. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a bad ass kicking Female going on a killing, thieving, Drug selling rampage. Post a reply and let people know how you think about this subject.

And by the way, I love women and I just want to see one kick major ass, GTA style. I don't want it to have a female character just so that those perverted gamers out there can jerk themselves off while killing somebody.

four_of_clubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 four_of_clubs
Member since 2005 • 4474 Posts

Then there would have to be male prostitutes, male strip clubs, scantily-clad male love interests, etc.

It would lose a lot of the male audience. :|

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Then there would have to be male prostitutes, male strip clubs, scantily-clad male love interests, etc.

four_of_clubs

So it's okay for women to do that and not okay for men?

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

four_of_clubs

Clearly you've never played as a custom female character in Saints Row 2. "You had me at 'stripper pole'". :P

In other words, there exists a thing called lesbianism/bisexuality. Now, about that male audience...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

It would be awesome if the star of GTA5 was a Catalina style woman (she was sociopathic, hilarious and awesome, key traits of GTA protagonists). 

But making the main character a woman would be riskier than making the main character a black male.  GTA is the videogame equivalent of a gangster movie, and there have been lots of popular gangster movies starring black males, but the only gangster movie I can think of with a female lead was some Queen Latifah movie whose name I forget which did only mediocre box office.   Still, Rockstar has been bold before, so hopefully they will be bold again.

Dolacide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Dolacide
Member since 2006 • 1758 Posts
It wouldn't matter to me, as long as the story is good as well as the gameplay, I'd play as a hamster.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="four_of_clubs"]

gamingqueen

Was that what he said? No.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts
[QUOTE="four_of_clubs"]

gamingqueen

Sense of humor much?

And as for a female protagonist, I have two words: Catalina. Do you really want to see someone like her again? *shudders* The stuff pulled in GTA San Andreas with her and CJ...

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'm not sure, without trying to sound sexist most "criminals" in games are male and since GTA is absically about mobsters and the criminal underworld, tossing a female protoganist could kinda make it different in a bad way. However it could also be a positive thing, afterall there are female gang and female Yakuza members. It would have to depend on the personality of the female protaganist.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Id love to see Catalina or a similar character get her own game, she was freakin hilarious.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#12 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

The main reason I played a female character in Saints Row 2 was just for that reason. I'm tired of it just being a rough Eurotrash or African American based thug, women are violent felons too!

For real, Rockstar, listen up, try being... I don't know... not so stale this time? 

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ernesto_basic
Member since 2002 • 2123 Posts

It would be awesome if the star of GTA5 was a Catalina style woman (she was sociopathic, hilarious and awesome, key traits of GTA protagonists).

But making the main character a woman would be riskier than making the main character a black male. GTA is the videogame equivalent of a gangster movie, and there have been lots of popular gangster movies starring black males, but the only gangster movie I can think of with a female lead was some Queen Latifah movie whose name I forget which did only mediocre box office. Still, Rockstar has been bold before, so hopefully they will be bold again.

CarnageHeart

LOL, yeah, it's that kind of thinking that helped Obama get over on Clinton.

Have you guys ever watched Kill Bill or any of the Alien(s) movies? A female protagonist can be gritty, interesting, and even ruthless. I wouldn't mind seeing a female protagonist in the next GTA.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
As long as it wasn't a MMO I would give it a shot.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

You can make a female lead in Saints Row 2 which is very much like GTA. Although the people react to the fact you made a girl character, including the body type you got, you got no choice in the matter that she is a lesbian. She likes having strippers in her home, watching them, and admires her hippie chick lieutenant. You can also pimp yourself out in brothels. The game was definitly made by men.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SemiMaster

You can make a female lead in Saints Row 2 which is very much like GTA. Although the people react to the fact you made a girl character, including the body type you got, you got no choice in the matter that she is a lesbian. She likes having strippers in her home, watching them, and admires her hippie chick lieutenant. You can also pimp yourself out in brothels. The game was definitly made by men.

TristanShand
Indeed, but it wasn't meant to be serious, even playing as a male or from the male perspective. Gangsta culture is a misogynistic patriarchal society that many women have to blend into and therefore adopt the culture. But Saints Row 2 took it one step further to the level of the ludicrous. I think what people are asking for here is a more down to earth female lead.
tommat119944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 tommat119944
Member since 2008 • 970 Posts
[QUOTE="four_of_clubs"]

gamingqueen

He didn't say either were "okay".
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

No, I'm not posting this jusy because I am horny or I want exploit women. I've thought about this subject for a long while now. Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a bad ass kicking Female going on a killing, thieving, Drug selling rampage. Post a reply and let people know how you think about this subject.

And by the way, I love women and I just want to see one kick major ass, GTA style. I don't want it to have a female character just so that those perverted gamers out there can jerk themselves off while killing somebody.

GameFreak523

So...you are horny.

:P Sorry man. Just messing with you.

I'd LOVE to see and play a GTA game with a female lead. My first playthrough on Mass Effect was as a female biotic scarred badass and it was great, I'd definitely want to see something like that on a GTA game.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
I'll be honest, it would be hard for me to connect to a female lead in a gangster movie and it will be just as hard for me to connect to a female lead in a gangster video game. It would feel just too out of place. Meh... that's just me.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Oh sure, and I'd make the character dress up as Sarah Palin! :P All kidding aside, I could see it happen someday. Although...a lot of the GTA games borrow from the mobster films, and it makes me wonder if there were any good mobster movies starring a woman.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TristanShand
I agree with the person who quoted me on the other page. I would like to see Grand Theft Auto 5 take itself seriously, and it'll be cool to have a female lead in the game who is also taken seriously, at least more serious then Saints 2 anyway.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
I have a feeling the next GTA won't even be called GTA 5...maybe it'll revisit Vice City or San Andreas.
e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
I can already hear someone saying is there a nude cheat like there was in the original Tomb Raider!?!?
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I'll be honest, it would be hard for me to connect to a female lead in a gangster movie and it will be just as hard for me to connect to a female lead in a gangster video game. It would feel just too out of place. Meh... that's just me.juradai

I would have to agree. I love female leads (The Longest Journey, Syberia) and in RPG's which have the choice, I quite often play as a female. But Grand Theft Auto...I don't know. I'm not feeling it, to be honest. However, I definitely wouldn't mind it if Rockstar gives it a shot in one of the episodic packs.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
I don't mind playing as female protagonists. But in the case of GTA, I don't know -- It'd certainly be an interesting experiment, that's for sure.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
I say the world's not ready for that. We don't need any moms going after GTA because they think the game is trying to tell their kids that women are killing machines.
[QUOTE="four_of_clubs"]

gamingqueen

Yep. lol jk
I'm not sure, without trying to sound sexist most "criminals" in games are male and since GTA is absically about mobsters and the criminal underworld, tossing a female protoganist could kinda make it different in a bad way. However it could also be a positive thing, afterall there are female gang and female Yakuza members. It would have to depend on the personality of the female protaganist.Treflis

How's a female gang positive. Hehe I'd love to go to their fund raiser events.

TristanShand

HAHAHAHAAAA! Oh man I didn't know that.
I'll be honest, it would be hard for me to connect to a female lead in a gangster movie and it will be just as hard for me to connect to a female lead in a gangster video game. It would feel just too out of place. Meh... that's just me.juradai
True. It would be hard to connect with Tony Montana if he was a woman.
GameFreak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GameFreak523
Yeah, but what about someone like Kendl. CJ's sister. That would be pretty badass. I'm not focusing this because I think it would be cool to have a sexy kickass protag. I'm talking about showing hat women can do what guys can do to break the steroetype in the gaming industry......And if the male protags. were able to pick up female prostitutes then the women should be to pick up..well...both hehe. Of course for us guys it would be a bit gay but hell...Women might be as horny as we are.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I think the game would lose a lot of believability if you had a woman going around able to beat the crap out of everyone hand-to-hand and becoming a criminal kingpin.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gunswordfist

...Women might be as horny as we are.GameFreak523

That's impossible.

visionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 visionary
Member since 2002 • 14739 Posts
It could work but the storyline surrounding her reasoning's would have to be rock solid for it to be believable. Sure it can be seen as a double standard but most of us aren't used to seeing female protagonists that constantly blur the lines between good and bad. Rockstar would have to do a pretty good job at changing the way we've viewed video game criminals. I'd be narrow minded to totally rule it out, but it would ultimately depend on the settings, her back story, personality etc. The last thing I want is a female CJ or another loud mouthed Catalina. At the end of the day I want to feel like this character would perform some of these crazy criminal acts and still be like-able and not in any way be degrading to women.
GetafixOz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 GetafixOz
Member since 2002 • 290 Posts

Dont know how many of you read Escapist... because I dont know you all.... which would make it hard to know if you read it or not... I mean I could guess but....

Anyway I digress

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

Had an article on why the opnly thing to come out of Aliens (Alien2) was stereotypical space marine games... Why was the main point of the whole series.... A tough but sexy and feminine female protagonist lost on game developers ?

Why has the pure success of Ripley never triggered a run of female heros ??

Maybe society really is more backward than we all think. I mean Id say I play female characters in MMO's and RPG's about 90% of the time for all the reasons that come out everytime that chestnut (whats is MMORPG - Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls) comes up. So I would have no drama playing a female FPS hero....

And for the record... I dont compare Lara Croft and Ellen Ripley.... Ellen would kicks Laras Ass!!.... now theres a thought for a game :D

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gunswordfist
It could work but the storyline surrounding her reasoning's would have to be rock solid for it to be believable. Sure it can be seen as a double standard but most of us aren't used to seeing female protagonists that constantly blur the lines between good and bad. Rockstar would have to do a pretty good job at changing the way we've viewed video game criminals. I'd be narrow minded to totally rule it out, but it would ultimately depend on the settings, her back story, personality etc. The last thing I want is a female CJ or another loud mouthed Catalina. At the end of the day I want to feel like this character would perform some of these crazy criminal acts and still be like-able and not in any way be degrading to women. visionary
Oh yeah Catalina was that crazy woman. Now I remember.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#34 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
It is a good idea and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.
GameFreak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GameFreak523
Why would it lose it's believability? If a man can do it, why can't a woman do it? There was Lara Croft, who was able to kick big guys asses in hand to hand combat. And in the upcoming Velvet Assassin game, it's a woman spying through large, heavily guarded, nazi military camps. So there's always a possibility that it would beat out the other male protags.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TristanShand

Here's my shot at it for a bit of fun. Kaby, a 3rd year fashion and design university student struggles to maintain the final year of her course. Having failed once already due to over indulgence of the social aspects of university life, she finds herself falling through the same pit again. Having escaped her foster fathers home to her crummy student dorm, and having funded her course with her own savings and grants she now finds the well has run dry.

In the duration of her precarious life she has got to know Damian, a class-A dealer called who once offered Kaby work if she ever found herself in the need. Of course, this becomes her first step into the downward spiral of the criminal underworld.

Things start with the player, as Kaby getting to know what will become the first cast of characters she will liaise with, as you visit their homes and hangouts to trade the drugs while working for Damian. It seems like easy money, but little did she know that Damian used her to sell the drugs to new clients, not his regular clientele. When the poilce come knocking on Kabys door, she recognises one of the clients in uniform. With no desire for life inprisonment, Kaby makes an escape form which there is no turning back. She didn't mean for anyone to get killed, but she was scared, she has a knife, and now Damian has a lot to answer for.

As a protagonist i'll picture her to be much less Gung Ho then all the others. With no proper training with weapons or combat, she defends herself more in desperation, slashing out at cops who try to handcuf her, raking eyes, kicking to the groin and running off. She's scared, she can't stay in one place for too long, she wants someone to take her in and so she tries hard to build up relations with the criminal orginasations within the Cirty, but finds herself constantly used, betrayed, rejected or givern indecent propositions in return of favors. As time goes by, her wanted level rises, she becomes somewhat notorious. She's approuched by a small group of criminal mercenaries made up of a hitman, an accountant and a judge, the Illuminati of Liberty City who call themselves the Puppet Masters . Kaby's offer, to become the new liaison of their black organisation.

Her old life so far gone, her new life contanstly under threat, she wants out, she wants forgiveness from socity. There is only one way, she has to reveal the PuppeT Masters and take them down!

I'd imagine her to look somewhat like the above.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts
I wouldn't mind if they gave the option to be a female character in the next GTA as long as it still had the same basic storyline. I don't want there to be this whole part of the plot where I would have some male love interest, it would just feel weird. On the other hand, I don't see why Rockstar would even bother to appeal to the female audience. They don't make up the majority of the people who buy their game, it's just bad business.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SemiMaster

Here's my shot at it for a bit of fun. Kaby, a 3rd year fashion and design university student struggles to maintain the final year of her course. Having failed once already due to over indulgence of the social aspects of university life, she finds herself falling through the same pit again. Having escaped her foster fathers home to her crummy student dorm, and having funded her course with her own savings and grants she now finds the well has run dry.

In the duration of her precarious life she has got to know Damian, a class-A dealer called who once offered Kaby work if she ever found herself in the need. Of course, this becomes her first step into the downward spiral of the criminal underworld.

Things start with the player, as Kaby getting to know what will become the first cast of characters she will liaise with, as you visit their homes and hangouts to trade the drugs while working for Damian. It seems like easy money, but little did she know that Damian used her to sell the drugs to new clients, not his regular clientele. When the poilce come knocking on Kabys door, she recognises one of the clients in uniform. With no desire for life inprisonment, Kaby makes an escape form which there is no turning back. She didn't mean for anyone to get killed, but she was scared, she has a knife, and now Damian has a lot to answer for.

As a protagonist i'll picture her to be much less Gung Ho then all the others. With no proper training with weapons or combat, she defends herself more in desperation, slashing out at cops who try to handcuf her, raking eyes, kicking to the groin and running off. She's scared, she can't stay in one place for too long, she wants someone to take her in and so she tries hard to build up relations with the criminal orginasations within the Cirty, but finds herself constantly used, betrayed, rejected or givern indecent propositions in return of favors. As time goes by, her wanted level rises, she becomes somewhat notorious. She's approuched by a small group of criminal mercenaries made up of a hitman, an accountant and a judge, the Illuminati of Liberty City who call themselves the Puppet Masters . Kaby's offer, to become the new liaison of their black organisation.

Her old life so far gone, her new life contanstly under threat, she wants out, she wants forgiveness from socity. There is only one way, she has to reveal the PuppeT Masters and take them down!

I'd imagine her to look somewhat like the above.

TristanShand
You draw that yourself? Not bad, although the leather skirt over the jeans has gotta go. And what's with the name Kaby? The story though is solid and I'd love to see it come to life.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TristanShand

No no no I didn't draw that, just a google image search to reflect on the type of person I imagined. If I could draw that good i'd be demanding a living as a concept artist.

The name Kaby stuck to me, but the name of the character is not something set in stone, perhaps discuised over the board of directors. I'd go with something like Jennifer or Amy, perhaps Ratchell. I'd want her default image to have that kind of alternative, punk, street clothing. But then that's my influence showing in the character, since i'm into that kind of thing myself. Being a Grand Theft Auto game however, you as the player will get some choice in how you dress, just like you can in some of the past games. I've always found that an enjoyable feature in the GTA games.