Who remembers Midtown Madness and Midnight Club series?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#1 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

Hello there car gamers and petrol heads!

These two open world driving game IPs started by Angel Studios nearly 20 years ago, Midtown Madness from Microsoft and Midnight Club from Rockstar Games respectively!

Timeline:

• April 30th 1999:
    • Midtown Madness developed by Angel Studios and released onto PC.
  • September 21st 2000:
    • Midtown Madness 2 released onto PC.
  • October 25th 2000:
    • Midnight Club: Street Racing released onto Playstation 2 as a launch title for the console in western region.
  • November 14th 2001:
    • Midnight Club: Street Racing demake for Gameboy Advance by Rebellion Developments, being top down perspective rather than being third person view also the first time being on handheld.
  • November 20th 2002:
    • Angel Studios was acquired by Take-Two Interactive and renamed the whole company into Rockstar San Diego.
  • April 9th 2003:
    • Midnight Club II released onto Playstation 2, featuring motor bikes being playable for the first time.
  • June 2nd 2003:
    • Midnight Club II released onto Xbox, being the first game to be released on Xbox.
  • June 30th 2003:
    • Midnight Club II released onto PC, being the first and only Midnight Club installment to be released on PC.
  • June 17th 2003:
    • Midtown Madness 3 developed by Digital Illusions CE (DICE) released exclusively for Xbox console only.
  • April 11th 2005:
    • Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition released onto Playstation 2 and Xbox, featuring licensed vehicles for the first time.
  • June 27th 2005:
    • Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition ported onto Playstation Portable.
  • March 13th 2006:
    • Rockstar revised Midnight Club 3 as Dub Edition Remix with extra content: 24 new vehicles, 25 new sound tracks and updated Tokyo map from Midnight Club II.
  • October 20th 2008:
    • Midnight Club: Los Angeles released onto Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 using RAGE engine which was previously used in Grand Theft Auto IV.
  • October 21st 2008:
    • Midnight Club: Los Angeles demake for Playstation Portable by Rockstar London, renamed as L.A Remix, reusing Midnight Club 3 PSP version's game engine plus two maps from Midnight Club II (Los Angeles and Tokyo).
  • October 12th 2009:
    • Rockstar re-releases Midnight Club: Los Angeles as Complete Edition for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 with all DLCs included inside the physical copy.

Questions:

1. What are your fond memories on these two IPs?
  2. Currently these two seems to be dead franchises so do you think Microsoft and Rockstar should revive their driving game IP by next gen?
#2 Edited by Sevenizz (3151 posts) -

I enjoyed MM3 on the OG Xbox. It was one of the first games I initially bought. It was especially fun online. I never cared for the MC games. The physics felt unnatural and I remember it being blurry. Being a nighttime setting didn’t help either. I didn’t know both were by the same studio. Were they more similar than I remember?

The over the top arcade-y racer seems to have just vanished or have been rebranded as kart racing. Forza Horizon games which technically are supposed to be about an arcade experience tend to play more like a sim than not.

I’d like to see Midtown come back, but I don’t know if the audience is there quite frankly. GTA 5 has an excellent arcade racing vibe already. Would R* want to compete with themselves with a new MC?

#3 Posted by johnd13 (9619 posts) -

I remember playing a Midtown Madness demo when I was just a little kid.

#4 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

I enjoyed MM3 on the OG Xbox. It was one of the first games I initially bought. It was especially fun online. I never cared for the MC games. The physics felt unnatural and I remember it being blurry. Being a nighttime setting didn’t help either. I didn’t know both were by the same studio. Were they more similar than I remember?

The over the top arcade-y racer seems to have just vanished or have been rebranded as kart racing. Forza Horizon games which technically are supposed to be about an arcade experience tend to play more like a sim than not.

I’d like to see Midtown come back, but I don’t know if the audience is there quite frankly. GTA 5 has an excellent arcade racing vibe already. Would R* want to compete with themselves with a new MC?

Yep the first 2 Midtown Madness installments were developed by Angel Studios until they were acquired by Take Two Interactive, then Digital Illusions CE (DICE) took over the series who also developed Motorhead, Rally Masters, V8 Challenge, Rallisport Challenge and Battlefield.

To me I really want to see Microsoft revive the series by making a sequel or reboot.

IMO Midtown Madness 3's driving physics are still way better than every GTA games.

#5 Posted by l34052 (3885 posts) -

I had Midnight Club LA and enjoyed driving around the city freely, however, the actual racing events were unnecessarily difficult and I never did finish the game because of it.

#6 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1113 posts) -

@l34052 said:

I had Midnight Club LA and enjoyed driving around the city freely, however, the actual racing events were unnecessarily difficult and I never did finish the game because of it.

Midnight Club LA is still an awesome game but to me the soundtrack aren't as good as the first 3 games IMO.

To me Midnight Club 2 Paris OST is still the best in the whole series IMO.

#7 Posted by henrythefifth (2139 posts) -

Midnight Clubs were great games back in the day. I still occasionally fire them up on PS2.

Midtown madness.. I got one of them with a printer for PC, cannot remember which. Had fun with it, but the game did not really have content as such...