Hello there car gamers and petrol heads!
These two open world driving game IPs started by Angel Studios nearly 20 years ago, Midtown Madness from Microsoft and Midnight Club from Rockstar Games respectively!
- April 30th 1999:
- Midtown Madness developed by Angel Studios and released onto PC.
- September 21st 2000:
- Midtown Madness 2 released onto PC.
- October 25th 2000:
- Midnight Club: Street Racing released onto Playstation 2 as a launch title for the console in western region.
- November 14th 2001:
- Midnight Club: Street Racing demake for Gameboy Advance by Rebellion Developments, being top down perspective rather than being third person view also the first time being on handheld.
- November 20th 2002:
- Angel Studios was acquired by Take-Two Interactive and renamed the whole company into Rockstar San Diego.
- April 9th 2003:
- Midnight Club II released onto Playstation 2, featuring motor bikes being playable for the first time.
- June 2nd 2003:
- Midnight Club II released onto Xbox, being the first game to be released on Xbox.
- June 30th 2003:
- Midnight Club II released onto PC, being the first and only Midnight Club installment to be released on PC.
- June 17th 2003:
- Midtown Madness 3 developed by Digital Illusions CE (DICE) released exclusively for Xbox console only.
- April 11th 2005:
- Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition released onto Playstation 2 and Xbox, featuring licensed vehicles for the first time.
- June 27th 2005:
- Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition ported onto Playstation Portable.
- March 13th 2006:
- Rockstar revised Midnight Club 3 as Dub Edition Remix with extra content: 24 new vehicles, 25 new sound tracks and updated Tokyo map from Midnight Club II.
- October 20th 2008:
- Midnight Club: Los Angeles released onto Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 using RAGE engine which was previously used in Grand Theft Auto IV.
- October 21st 2008:
- Midnight Club: Los Angeles demake for Playstation Portable by Rockstar London, renamed as L.A Remix, reusing Midnight Club 3 PSP version's game engine plus two maps from Midnight Club II (Los Angeles and Tokyo).
- October 12th 2009:
- Rockstar re-releases Midnight Club: Los Angeles as Complete Edition for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 with all DLCs included inside the physical copy.
- What are your fond memories on these two IPs?
- Currently these two seems to be dead franchises so do you think Microsoft and Rockstar should revive their driving game IP by next gen?