Who do you think is right in Dragon Age: Inquisition? The Rebel Mages or the Templars

GuildMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Poll Who do you think is right in Dragon Age: Inquisition? The Rebel Mages or the Templars (4 votes)

Rebel Mages 50%
Templars 50%

I'm not asking whose quest did you do. Just who do you believe is right or less wrong.

• 
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Don't think either part is neither right or wrong.

Templars are set to ensure the Mages do not abuse magic against others, use forbidden magic or turn into abominations however that also means they are forcing the mages into imprisonment and can kill them if they think it is required.

Meanwhile Rebel Mages want to be free from the Templars grasp so to learn, explore and aid others with magic outside of the Mage's towers, however with magic being a rather great power to wield then some will let the lack of restriction lead to ruin for others and themselves either intentionally or not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58394 Posts

The whole point of the situation is, as @Treflis pointed out, that neither side is right or wrong. There is no "good" answer.

It's a fantastical interpretation of the current climate of "those who swap safety for freedom deserve neither", but also "be careful what you wish for" as well.

On one hand, the Templars are so obsessed with keeping the world safe--the mages safe, themselves safe, the country safe--they go to such draconian ends that they more or less imprison and then risk the mage's life in a test in order to ensure the safety. And that is not right.

On the flip side, the mages want complete freedom but they can't have that either because there is a documented, high-risk, real-world consequence to them becoming apostate.

Now, with all that said...I think that there is a middle ground because the Tevintir Imperium manages to let magic run wild and seems to be doing OK, they are just amoral. I think if mages were free but had a moral compass like the Templars, like the Templars were more reactionary and like police instead of discriminatory like Gestapo (as they currently are), then that would be better.

But I don't want there to be a solution, the mage-templar struggle is one of my fondest parts of the whole Dragon Age series. It's brings out the best and worst in all the characters in the game; you've got noble people doing horrible things for the greater good, evil people doing good because they realize it's too much power, friends killing friends because they have no choice...it's tragic.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

The guys who deleted the game cuz it's boring af.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44304 Posts

Yeah I agree with those who said that there is no "right" or "wrong".