whish of these is most important in a game(rank em)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

gameplay

desighn

story

sound(not music, footsteps, gunshots, ext)

original art style

music

for me its

1 desighn

2 story

3 gameplay(ill explain later why this is 3rd)

4 music

5 sound

6 art style

i say gameplay is before story becouse story when done right can make you play a terrable game just to see the story all the way through. i did it with assassions creed 1 and kane and lynch(not saying either is terrable)

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
1.Gameplay. If a games gameplay sucks, nothing can rebuild the game. 2. Story.Sucky story means you feel less immersed. 3. Graphic. Sucky graphics make a game less enjoyable. 4. Music. Music is used to create tension and set a scene. 5.Art Style. I dont mind, so long as it looks decent. 6. Sound. If sound is better it adds to a game. That would be mine. I find it quite interesting you have gameplay so low...
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

1. Gameplay - First and foremost. With no gameplay there's nothing to make me play a game
2. Story - I'm primarily a single player gamer so this is important to me.
3. Every thing else on your list
4. Trophies/Achievements

Sorry, I know I changed the order but I thought your selections weren't accurate for me.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
1. Design 2. Music 3. Story 4. Gameplay 5. Art Style 6. Sound
CHOVI3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#5 CHOVI3
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

For me it'd be:

1 story

2 gameplay

3 music

4 design

5 original art style

6 sound

Yeah, I care the most about the story because I'm a single player gamer and in my opinion, a good storyline can keep some of the worst games as my favorites lol

philpbvc3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 philpbvc3232
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
For me :1 story 2 music 3 gameplay 4 original art style 5 design 6 sound
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

It depends completely on the game :/

I'm not including design; it could contain any of the other points. 'Original art' can be anywhere from 2 - 5, depending on the game.

Something like:
1. Gameplay
2. Story or Sound
3. Sound or Music or Story
4. Music
5. Original art

colt1831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 colt1831
Member since 2009 • 587 Posts
1.Spelling 2.Gameplay 3.Story 4.Art 5.Sound 6.Easy achievements;)
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

1.Gameplay. If a games gameplay sucks, nothing can rebuild the game. 2. Story.Sucky story means you feel less immersed. 3. Graphic. Sucky graphics make a game less enjoyable. 4. Music. Music is used to create tension and set a scene. 5.Art Style. I dont mind, so long as it looks decent. 6. Sound. If sound is better it adds to a game.That would be mine. I find it quite interesting you have gameplay so low...DeanG642
Basically this. I am a bit iffy on music vs graphics part. Depending on the game music can take precedent over graphics.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The most important is a good game. Everytihng you listed are link.

They are like moutain climer tied together. If one slip, they other can hold him up most of the times but some times they can not hold them up and they all start to fall.

The same way mountain climer can help each other from falling the same for parts of a game. Graphic error can be saved by fun gameplay and story. Some times bad game play can take down good looking graphic.

ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
should've made this a poll.. hmm ..gameplay ofcourse.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

1. Gameplay

2. Story

3. Graphics/sound

Jaco230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaco230
1. Gameplay - A game has to be good to be good. 2. Story - The story needs to be existant unless it's a puzzle game or whatever. 3. Music - Draws you in, builds tension... Pretty important. 4. Sound - Not that worried about sound. 5. Graphics - A bad game with good graphics is like having a mean but hot girlfriend. I don't care about bad graphics at all. 6. Art Style - I can enjoy any art style. Edit: Fail, I put 4 twice.
Lv100Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lv100Magikarp
1. gameplay. 2. everything else. 3. the story. it always confuses me when people say the story is more important than the gameplay. if youre looking for a good story more than anything else, why are you playing video games? there are much better stories to be found by just going to the library and checking out a few good books, plus you dont have to worry about all that annoying gameplay getting in the way of your story.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#15 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Presentation you mean? Design is usually how all the elements tie together and work to allow interaction for the player. Gameplay - Ambition/creativity is included here as with general game mechanics Sound - Key to immersion Art Style - Visual design, imagination Story/Narrative/Writing quality - One of the 3 is enough to boil be over Technicalities - physics/shaders Music - Not too many games do this well anyway. Polish - I can deal with pop-ins, low attention to detail, unclean animation transitions, minor screen tearing etc. User Interface - I have experienced some of the worst interfaces already, DQIX's UI is pretty terrible yet it doesn't bother me at all.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
For me.. Gameplay Sound/Music Story - if applicable Graphics Polish UI
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jsh020
should've made this a poll.. hmm ..gameplay ofcourse.ghegpatatas
i was levle 4 when i made this post so i couldnt make it at the time
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jsh020
1. gameplay. 2. everything else. 3. the story. it always confuses me when people say the story is more important than the gameplay. if youre looking for a good story more than anything else, why are you playing video games? there are much better stories to be found by just going to the library and checking out a few good books, plus you dont have to worry about all that annoying gameplay getting in the way of your story.Lv100Magikarp
becouse a good story in a game is more imersive and ultimatly better then a linear 2 hour romp on a tv set or book. like i love ffX's story but if it wasnt a game i proboly wouldnt like it
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

1. graphicsc
  2. gameplat
  3. story
  4. artwork
  5. sound
  6. music

If sound just suck ill put my ipod on or something. so it doesn't really matter

Lv100Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lv100Magikarp

[QUOTE="Lv100Magikarp"]

1. gameplay. 2. everything else. 3. the story. it always confuses me when people say the story is more important than the gameplay. if youre looking for a good story more than anything else, why are you playing video games? there are much better stories to be found by just going to the library and checking out a few good books, plus you dont have to worry about all that annoying gameplay getting in the way of your story.

jsh020

becouse a good story in a game is more imersive and ultimatly better then a linear 2 hour romp on a tv set or book. like i love ffX's story but if it wasnt a game i proboly wouldnt like it

this kind of proves my point. you say you like the story in ffx but take away the gameplay and suddenly you dont like it anymore. so which one is more important again?

also lol @ complaining about how books and movies are linear and then bringing up ffx. of all the games you could have mentioned you picked one thats like one long narrow path almost 90% of the way through.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Gameplay is first. Really bad gameplay can absolutely ruin any game, no matter how good the rest of the stuff is.

Story / characters - give me an interesting (and possibly even original) story and some well developed, likable characters, and that goes a very long ways towards making it a memorable experience.

Original art style - I love for a video game to take me to a fantastic, far away place that immerses me in its richness and detail.

Music - Good music can really help with the immersion factor.

Sound - good sound is nice, but mediocre sound isn't a big deal.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I think they're all important. Gameplay is important, but artstyle matters too. There are plenty of fun games to choose from, but it helps if it's not a dull, generic looking game with blank color schemes and graphics. I won't name names or point out specific genres, but there's a certain one I like to avoid to its dull looking games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44650 Posts
it's never a hierarchy thing with me, it's how it all comes together
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
it's never a hierarchy thing with me, it's how it all comes togetherlamprey263
Honestly, Gameplay should always be No.1. Sucky gameplay=SuckyGame.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
In 2010 I don't think it's wrong to assume we should be able to have everything. We have the hardware for all of this. So I pick them all at #1.
VladJasonDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VladJasonDrac
Member since 2010 • 601 Posts

Gameplay

Gameplay

Gameplay

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

As far as making a good game goes:

1. Story...I honestly don't feel any real motivation to play (or especially own) a game if there isn't a good story...a story is essential for making a quality game how can you actually care about what your doing or what happens to the characters without one.

2. Gameplay...I feel that I've never really understood what the definition of gameplay is but, yeah how a game plays and handles as well as what you do is very important in my eyes.

3. Graphics...hate to be a graphics whore, but bad graphics can really bring down a game, realism and/or detail can bring up a games quality and eye candy makes it more enjoyable.

4. Art Style...interesting art style can make or break a game and certain games are greatly improved because of a distinct art style (see Epic Mickey)

5. Music...can really build suspense and add subconcious feelings while playing.

6. Sound...sound can really help to improve a game, but overall its not a make or break attribute, but like I said it is always satisfying to hear sounds from motions in game, whether it be brushing through plants, thumping a weapon into a wall or just the sound of footsteps. Having realistic sound on everyday actions helps to bring a game to life.

This is my order for making a quality game...if we are talking about making a game that is fun to just pick up and play (like maybe Just Cause 2) I would consider moving story to 3, graphics to 2, and gameplay to 1.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]it's never a hierarchy thing with me, it's how it all comes togetherDeanG642
Honestly, Gameplay should always be No.1. Sucky gameplay=SuckyGame.

What are some examples of games that had really bad gameplay but was good in any of the other areas?

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#29 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

1. Gameplay

2. Story

3. Art Direction

4. Soundtrack