While I find Bloodborne highly original.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

I can't help but see some Resident Evil (RE4)/The Evil Within influence with some of the creature design. Particularly with the design, in Bb, of the snake-headed men in the Forbidden Woods. It is very similar to thehead explosions when certain characters in TEW, after a few bullets, go aggro on you and mutate. This of course is common for Shinji Mikami games. Perhaps it is a kind of nod from Miyazaki, one developer to another. Just a thought.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

It uses common Gothic horror tropes, just like most horror games based on fighting monsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@mastermetal777: True, but the head transformations with Mikami's games are somehow unique looking and sounding, and Bloodborne's style in that particular area seems to emulate or downright imitate Mikami's signature, at least in that aspect.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Mikami's variety tend to have the host's head outright explode, though, don't they? By contrast, Bloodborne's seem more like the snakes are being sealed due to how the host's head looks like its wrapped in some sort of cloth. It's certainly similar, but I don't think it's outright imitation.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

LoL !!! Really ? Highly Original ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@c_rakestraw: No, they are different, definitely. Mikami's headplosions, I'll just call them, actually blow the whole head up and then....something else....grows out. While Miyazaki's snake-men may or may not have traditional heads, it's hard to tell. The snake-men heads might be some kind of facade, like a mask or something and the 'explosion' is actually just the snakes inside bursting out. Eh, who knows. It's just the sound and the look, especially the sound, though, are very similar in both cases.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

I can't help but see some Resident Evil (RE4)/The Evil Within influence with some of the creature design. Particularly with the design, in Bb, of the snake-headed men in the Forbidden Woods. It is very similar to thehead explosions when certain characters in TEW, after a few bullets, go aggro on you and mutate. This of course is common for Shinji Mikami games. Perhaps it is a kind of nod from Miyazaki, one developer to another. Just a thought.

nope, the resident evil designs are based on overgrown parasites and biological mutations, the monster designs in bloodborne are based on lovecraftian cthulhu mythology, a very well developed and far too old mythology, bloodborne starts as your regular medieval horror themed then advanced into something far more deep, something ignorant people like @Lulu_Lulu that hasn't even played the game but whine about 24/7 wouldn't know

If you have finished the game i recommend this video, careful, ONLY IF YOU FINISHED THE GAME- (see lulu, now you have more info, so you can lie about finishing the game and whine about it 24/7 without looking like a complete ignorant, i kid, i kid, you look like a complete ignorant anyway)

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Krelian-co: Yeah, I definitely see the Lovecraft connection (I'm a pretty big Lovecraft fan). I know that Miyazaki is deeply influenced by Lovecraft's work--it is overly evident. That's not really what I'm saying with this thread. It has nothing to do with the lore of Bloodborne, just the visceral quality of the sound and look when the snake-men's heads change. It is very similar to RE4 and TEW on a purely technical, superficial level, if you will. Don't get me started on Lovecraft, hehe. The thread will go for a thousand pages.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@reduc_ab_ said:

@c_rakestraw: No, they are different, definitely. Mikami's headplosions, I'll just call them, actually blow the whole head up and then....something else....grows out. While Miyazaki's snake-men may or may not have traditional heads, it's hard to tell. The snake-men heads might be some kind of facade, like a mask or something and the 'explosion' is actually just the snakes inside bursting out. Eh, who knows. It's just the sound and the look, especially the sound, though, are very similar in both cases.

They both certainly do have that gross, squishy sound to them, that's for sure. Those two sure know how to make something utterly disgusting.

I think the snakes maybe live inside the hosts bodies and burst out through the head due to the many orifices there. The way those people's movement is slightly off -- particularly the way their body lunges forward when striking with their arm -- would support the idea of the snakes assuming control over the host's body rather than them being a mere parasite growing inside them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@c_rakestraw: Could be a parasite, or it could be some kind of multi-headed snake-like creature (like the tangled snake things crawling around the woods) that has chameleon qualities in that they can disguise themselves to look like humans. I haven't finished the game yet, so there may be other clues I haven't seen yet, though. As for the snake-men movements not looking quite right--that is creepy as hell. Something seems slightly wrong with the picture, and then boom, something VERY wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Lulu_Lulu: Feel free to stay out of my thread if all you're going to do is spout nonsense. Thanks.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@reduc_ab_:

Would you even recognize nonsense if you saw it ? Mr. "Highly Original".

Even Demon Souls wasn't Original so I find it extremely Odd that you would think Blood Borne.... the spiritual successor to all three Souls games is "Highly Original".

pethaps its just Highly Original to you. Makes me wonder how you would describe something that actually was Original.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Lulu_Lulu: Name one game that is like Demon's Souls. Name one game that is like Dark Souls. Name one game that is like Bloodborne. And I'm not talking about gameplay or technical aspects. I'm talking about presentation, atmosphere, art style, theme, mood--basically all of the aesthetic aspects, but also the deeper metaphysical/spiritual substance within these games. That is where the originality comes from. There is no other game, in my experience, quite like any of those titles in this respect.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@reduc_ab_:

LoL...... so now you're throwing on stipulations after the fact...

Fine.... the aesthetic aspects are Highly Original (To Us).

You should put that in your title for future reference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Lulu_Lulu: Knew that would stop you in your tracks. Thanks for stopping by.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@reduc_ab_:

Yes... pat yourself on the back for your lack of clarification.... you're so smart. ;)

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

@Lulu_Lulu: Name one game that is like Demon's Souls. Name one game that is like Dark Souls. Name one game that is like Bloodborne. And I'm not talking about gameplay or technical aspects. I'm talking about presentation, atmosphere, art style, theme, mood--basically all of the aesthetic aspects, but also the deeper metaphysical/spiritual substance within these games. That is where the originality comes from. There is no other game, in my experience, quite like any of those titles in this respect.

But aesthetics HAVE to be original in any game. The one thing you have to do is create a game that can stand on it's own by it's looks. If a game copies creature design for example, then immediately everyone will scream rip-off. It's the basic rule for the visuals in a new game. That doesn't mean that game has accomplished something significant in terms of originality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@firefox59: Which is why I mentioned the true factor of uniqueness for Bloodborne (and Souls games): the metaphysical and spiritual implications, and the manner by which they are presented. As for aesthetics, they are not generally copied, per se, as the expression of beauty is entirely subjective, however an individual's vision for said beauty can be expanded upon, and this kind of thing does happen. Miyazaki's vision in this regard, however, is entirely his own, or so it feels.

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Good to see your Souls radar is still working.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@drflyntcoal:

Thank You.....

You know I haven't been as active around here lately....

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: And yet you take time to bait souls threads. :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@drflyntcoal:

And Dragon's Dogma threads......

And DoA threads.......

any thread really.......

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

RE4 is certainly the most similar game to Bloodborne, aesthetics-wise. From the angry village mobs (who are cultists, and later sprout tentacles/snakes from their heads), to the dogs, crowd and El Gigantes...many of the early sections of BB would feel right at home in RE4. I wouldn't have even *blinked* if the machine gunner of Old Yarnham turned out to be Krauser.

As for thr Lovecraftian elements, wasn't RE4 supposedly inspired by the loose Lovecraft film adaptation of Dagon, which was set in Spain?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Planeforger: Don't know for sure. But Dagon fits in with RE4 to a ridiculous extent. That being said, Dagon is preposterously awesome, and therefore worthy of imitation.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Krelian-co

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@drflyntcoal:

And Dragon's Dogma threads......

And DoA threads.......

any thread really.......

yeah we know, you are garbage with the only purpose to whine and spam threads, waste of forum space as always.

I wonder if you actually played those games or just look like an ignorant too?

ps: i miss you at system wars, you should stop by so we can have some good ol' fun :)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Krelian-co

@reduc_ab_ said:

@Krelian-co: Yeah, I definitely see the Lovecraft connection (I'm a pretty big Lovecraft fan). I know that Miyazaki is deeply influenced by Lovecraft's work--it is overly evident. That's not really what I'm saying with this thread. It has nothing to do with the lore of Bloodborne, just the visceral quality of the sound and look when the snake-men's heads change. It is very similar to RE4 and TEW on a purely technical, superficial level, if you will. Don't get me started on Lovecraft, hehe. The thread will go for a thousand pages.

i can definitely see the similarities, but i think they are more of a coincidence, re, ew and bb games go for a visceral feel, and they succeeded in that aspect.