Which was better OVERALL? Quality, Graphics, games, execution, etc. N64 or PS1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

captainqwark20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 captainqwark20
Member since 2012 • 1221 Posts
Which of these fine systems do you consider to be the best of the best? Whether it be the reliability, the game quality, diversity, execution, control, idea, originality, input, music, GRAPHICS, etc. Which do you think is the better system OVERALL in all categories? I know some of you are just going to put one word answers with no reason but i ask you to at least think about it. Personally, It depends on a few factors. But what's your thought on this?
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Game quality - N64

Graphics quality - N64

Games variety - N64

Reliability - N64

Controller - N64

But of course that's just my opinion.

Thenumber48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thenumber48
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts

Game quality - N64

Graphics quality - N64

Games variety - N64

Reliability - N64

Controller - N64

nameless12345
PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. I would go somewhat like: Sound= PSX Likable characters=PSX Graphics=PSX Controller=Tie Reliability=N64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
Likable characters=PSXThenumber48
How is that important in the quality of a console? That's just how good a developer is at making good characters
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#5 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Game quality - PS1 Graphics quality - N64 Games variety - PS1 Reliability - N64 Controller - PS1
Thenumber48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thenumber48
[QUOTE="Thenumber48"]Likable characters=PSXAvatarMan96
How is that important in the quality of a console? That's just how good a developer is at making good characters

Which the Playstation has more of. Which means the console has added appeal.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

For graphics quality excecution of early 3D gaming worlds. The Nintendo 64 wins. Since it was a 64 bit system. The original playstation was a 32 bit system that gave the N64 a really good go in the graphics dept.

If only the N64 used CD ROM discs instead of cartridges. But since the Sony Playstation did in ended up victorious in the 5th Generation. Dethroning Nintendo.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. Thenumber48

Can't say I agree after seeing this and this.

Avatar image for Keepitoldschool
Keepitoldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Keepitoldschool
Member since 2012 • 143 Posts
[QUOTE="AvatarMan96"][QUOTE="Thenumber48"]Likable characters=PSXThenumber48

Which the Playstation has more of. Which means the console has added appeal.

I h ad both but overall I'd say it the n64 altho ps1 did. Have a bigger library the n64 had quality great Kingsley avatar btw tho!!
captainqwark20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 captainqwark20

For graphics quality excecution of early 3D gaming worlds. The Nintendo 64 wins. Since it was a 64 bit system. The original playstation was a 32 bit system that gave the N64 a really good go in the graphics dept.

If only the N64 used CD ROM discs instead of cartridges. But since the Sony Playstation did in ended up victorious in the 5th Generation. Dethroning Nintendo.

Megavideogamer
Even if the N64 used CD's the walls in its programming would have been holding games back just as badly. You can like the N64, but don;t think the only reason PSX won was CD's. Gamecube proved that theory wrong. Also bit never indicated graphical quality. A 64 bit system could run a calculator processor. The Xbox isn't 64 bit but go ahead and try proving the N64 looks better than the Xbox. or the Ps2 for that matter. I agree with part of your statement, but your reason is well, wrong.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Game quality - N64 Graphics quality - N64 Games variety - PS1 Reliability - N64 (PS1 stood up for around 11 years then died, resurrected 2011. Controller - P11 Sound - PS1 (1001 model is the S***)
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

N64, of course. If I recall my observations of both consoles correctly ( I had both in 1996), cd load times were a snore. The water physics in N64 games were a delight, surpassing anything from Sega, Sony, and the PC.

Thenumber48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Thenumber48

[QUOTE="Thenumber48"]PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. nintendoboy16

Winner: Kingsley  (blurry screen shot, supposed to be as clear or clearer than the first.)  Winner: Kingsley   Winner: Kingsley. Next?
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
N64 was better in every way, in my opinion. The only thing the PSX had over the N64 was Metal Gear Solid.
captainqwark20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 captainqwark20
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Thenumber48"]PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. Thenumber48

Winner: Kingsley  (blurry screen shot, supposed to be as clear or clearer than the first.)  Winner: Kingsley   Winner: Kingsley. Next?

..................................... ................................................... .... ..................... .. .. ............................................... ................................................................... .........................................................................................  Tylenol? Maybe too much?
Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

I sadly never owned an N64, so I guess it's PSX all round!

WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

Defy_The_Fallen

Don't worry, you didn't miss much.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="Defy_The_Fallen"]

WhySoLimp

Except the better games.
Thenumber48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thenumber48
[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

[QUOTE="Defy_The_Fallen"]

YoshiYogurt

Except the better games.

Let's see, about 12 games maybe have above mediocre ratings on every gaming site? It may entertain for awhile but then, poof. Every game on N64 had at launch, or somepoint down the line, released a better alternative than everything on the N64.
WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

Except the better games.YoshiYogurt

Not sure if serious...

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

Game quality - N64

Graphics quality - N64

Games variety - N64

Reliability - N64

Controller - N64

nameless12345

Game Quality - Tie

Graphics Quality - N64

Games Variety - PS1

Reliability - N64

Controller - Tie, I hate them both equally.

Winner N64!!!!!

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Thenumber48"]PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. Thenumber48

idk if this is serious or not...but pretty much every n64 screenchot is better then that stupid looking 'show me the car fax' fox.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#23 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
It's just A48 with his BS, for once let's not feed him.
SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Game quality - PS1

Graphics quality - PS1

Games variety - PS1

Reliability - PS1

Controller - PS1

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Reliabilty-N64

Quality-N64

Diversity-PS1

Controller-N64

Graphics-N64

I just like the N64 much better. I'm not a fan on the PS1 at all.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Game quality - PS1 Graphics quality - N64 Games variety - PS1 Reliability - N64 Controller - PS1 lol at people who ever pick the n64 controller over ps1 n64 controller is one of the worst ever made
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

PSone for me, and its not even close. (in fact, I wouldn't even put the N64 as the second best console of its generation; Saturn)

Game Quality - PS1
PERSONAL REASON: short of "Zelda:Ocarina of Time", the N64 just didn't have games that impacted me the way "Final Fantasy VII", "CastleVania:Symphony", "Metal Gear Solid", "Silent Hill", "Lunar Silver Star", "Gran Turismo 2" etc did

Graphics quality - PS1
PERSONAL REASON: the N64 did 3D platforming very well, but to me, missed the boat by being almost exclusive to 3D/Polygon presentation. Some of the PSone's best looking games were in 2D, used sprites, or used CG movies/scenes that you just didn't see on the N64.
just compare "CastleVania64" to "Symphony of the Night". 3D isn't always the best way to go.

Games variety - PS1
PERSONAL REASON: this is the one which I honestly don't understand how there can be any dispute over. The N64 had all of one single rpg worth playing (OgreBattle64), one single survival horror worth playing (a port of RE2), and very little in the 2D platforming or shmup genres. How anyone can claim the N64 had better "variety" considering it completely ignored 3 or 4 entire genres is beyond me.

Controller - PS1
PERSONAL REASON: I personally believe the N64 to be the absolute worst gaming paddle, ever. Analog stick that went limp after awhile, awkard layout of features and buttons, and an ergonomic nightmare. Plus, though it may not be a big deal to some people, Psone eventually had dual analog sticks.

Reliability - TBD? *willing to toss N64 a nod here*?
PERSONAL REASON: I'm at odds here between what I've heard, and what I've personally experienced. From everything I've heard, the N64 is technically and statistically the more reliable system, so i'd be willing to appreciate and accept those arguments. That said, I'm still playing my original PSX quite heavily, and its never failed me in what, 13 years now?Also, given that the PSone is more complex in terms of moving parts and the laser reader, you'd kinda EXPECT it to break down more easily. Also, if you include the analog sticks on the paddles as a factor of "reliability", the N64 takes a bit of a hit there. *shrugs*

well, thats my subjective personal take on the comparison.

Ozmodiar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ozmodiar1
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

Game library: PS1 by a large margin

Sound: PS1, being CD based and all.

Graphics: N64 - late period games like Banjo Tooie still look absolutely lovely. Even the most visually stunning PS1 games look dated now - that said, the use of FMV is a bonus.

Controller: N64... yeah, that's pretty ballsy but I never thought it was that bad. PS1's always felt a little clunky to me.

Top tier: N64. Would take SM64, B-K/B-T, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, OOT et. al over FFVII, MGS, Crash 3, Spyro etc. Great games in both batches, but since Banjo-Kazooie is almost unquestionably my favourite game ever, it's not a hard decision for me.

Multiplayer: N64. This was the kicker. 4 player Goldeneye, Mario Kart or Mario Party with friends. Probably the most fun I've ever had gaming.

Overall: N64. Loved it then, love it now.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#29 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Quality: PS1 Graphics: N64 Variety : PS1 Reliability: PS1 Controller: PS1
mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

The psx had better variety of games and thats it maybe a better controller once the twp sticks were introduced but the n64 takes the cake when it comes to what games were more fun. also as a hardcore gamer i dont like to wait for loading. i would rather play nes games over the loading and **** graphics of the psx.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

You're stupid, not sure if serious
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]Quality: PS1 Graphics: N64 Variety : PS1 Reliability: PS1 Controller: PS1

There's no way the ps1 is more reliable than the n64. The lasers sucked big time on the ps1 and killed the console. My ps1 died after less then 10 years of use(repaired now), while n64s are still kicking.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Game Quality - PS1

I have played more memorable games on the PS1 that have become amongst my favorite, compared to the N64.

Graphics quality - N64

The graphics on the N64 blows away, with ease, anything on the PS1. Conker's Bad Fur Day looks like a early 6th gen game, nothing on the PS1 comes close.

Games variety - PS1

Even though the N64 had many genres to choose from, it didn't have many games fromthose genres. Were as with the PS1, it had more genres and many more games.

Controller - PS1

It's more comfortable.

Reliability - N64

Cartrige based systems last the most.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

the n64 beats the psx in every way but the controller. The stick should have been where the dpad was and the dpad should have been below the stick and to the right a little like the gamecube. buut then idk how you would fit the awsome z trigger button in there....

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

the n64 beats the psx in every way.......

mariokart97

unless you like rpgs.
or shmups.
or survival horrors.
or fighters.
or 2D action.
or 2D platformers.

the N64 was pretty much barren of EVERY genre I play :lol:

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

[QUOTE="Thenumber48"]PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. nintendoboy16

The best looking games on N64 ran at something like 10-20FPS, it should be kept in mind when discussing it. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Turok 3, and Banjo Tooie are all guilty of framerates that at times would be considered unplayable today.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Thenumber48"]PSX ended up having the better graphics at the end however. Aidenfury19

The best looking games on N64 ran at something like 10-20FPS, it should be kept in mind when discussing it. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Turok 3, and Banjo Tooie are all guilty of framerates that at times would be considered unplayable today.

This is because all N64 games have bi-linear mipmap interpolation, perspective corrected textures and even anti-aliasing. You don't find these picture improving features in any PS1 games. And many of them even ran in high-res (480i) mode, given you had the memory expansion.

Altho I understand the critique and that you may not be insterested what caused that. But I can tell you Z-buffering was a real performance killer on the N64 (World Driver Championship and Indiana Jones don't use it and they both run at steady framerates with zero fogging). And of course the higher res in supported games also impacted performance.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Game quality - PS1, the library is just huge and there are great games for every genre available for it. And then there are gems as well like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 1-3, Twisted Metal 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, King's Field 1 & 2, Parasite Eve, Metal Slug X, Einhander, and a lot more.

Graphics quality - This is a tricky question to answer. If we're talking cutscenes and pre-rendered graphics, then PS1 blows N64 out of the water. If we're talking gameplay graphics, then N64 wins it.

Games variety - PS1, like I already said, the library is just huge and there are great games for every genre available for it.

Reliability - N64. Cartridge-based systems are usually more reliable, and N64 is known for it's resiliancy.

Controller - PS1, easily. The controller is comfortable, the buttons and joysticks last a long time, and the button/joystick placement is intuitive. The N64's controller has always felt like an awkward mess for me that I only resort to using for N64 exclusives. And it's joystick is known for being poor and having many issues.

So for my personal tally that's:

1 Tie for Both

3 for PS1

and

1 for N64

PS1 wins it for me.