Which type of RPG do you prefer?

RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which type of RPG do you prefer? (37 votes)

Turn-based 38%
Action 57%
Tactical 5%

Mainly referring to single-player RPGs so no MMO.

Turn-based: Pokémon, Hyperdimension Neptunia, old school Final Fantasy

Action: Nights of Azure, Kingdom Hearts, Nier Automata

Tactical: Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Pokémon Conquest

Generally I prefer action RPGs just because I'm a fighting game fanatic so it's a best of both worlds.

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

Gameplay wise I would say that I enjoy all three pretty much the same. I do play more action based and turn-based then I do the tactical ones but I think that's just because of happenstance in that the kind of stories told in the first two have been generally of more interest to me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

I usually don't play Turn-base or Tactical; however with that stated Makai Senki Disgaea is one of my favorite series ever, and always buy them day-one, I own four versions of the original game. Some Disgaea games I even have the Platinum for on Playstation.

Chrono Trigger is also a game I look at with tons of fondness and replay it every so often on my DS/3DS.

Shout out to Suikoden also.

And lastly Pokémon, I adore playing that online.

Overall would say Action, I feel it has more variety and options, and gripes the player in. Plus I'm a sucker for a deep combat system.

Once you play Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and the combat clicks with you. It's a thing of beauty.

Turn and Tactical I play more as a sense of leisure, than leaning forward trying to time my rolls and strikes.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Definitely action. My experience is limited with tactical RPG's, but I've played enough to know they aren't really my thing. I suppose I did enjoy the only Disgaea game I've played, but I'd rather not do something like that again anytime soon at least. I'm okay with turn-based what with all the time I spent playing Pokemon when I was younger. But I'm not too drawn to it now.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I can only play action RPGS if they have no party members. AI partners completely ruin games for me. So generally, I like turn-based and tactical the most.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I love turn based, I played this style all my gaming life since the NES days to now. Most rescent I played were World Of Final Fantasy, Persona 5 and Child Of Light.

The you have the modern take on that in more modern Final Fantasy, Ni No Kuni, Tales of ... etc turned based is probably my most played style.

In tactical I only played Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblems ... I didn't like Fire Emblems because the tactics is limited to where you place your caracters to avoid death ... In tactics you have to take the time to check the time your caracter will take to lunch an attack or magic so it doesn't back fire or miss because the ennemy turn was before your attack is ready.

In action RPG ... well I'm not a big fan because it is more about the combat than anything else. Fallout, Elder Scroll, Borderlands are like that very basic RPG and the action is slower than an actual FPS and you more often than not have an hability tree. Then you have Bloodborne/Dark Souls/Nioh/Nier Automata where you bash things. In those game I felt like the stat didn't matter that much in the end.

So in that category I liked Bloodborne and Borderlands but not the rest and I guess it is because of the feel, the atmosphere.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

RPG with guns instead of sword, shield, or magic. Tactical or action would do. The time period can also be modern/futuristic or steampunk. The traditional medieval times, whether Western or East Asian are getting old.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I really like tactical and turn-based games.

Action games can be fun too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Action.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

Depends on my mood. I like 'em all. RPGs are still my favorite genre.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I've only really played action

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm a simple man....Action!!!!

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Dark Souls esque

not necessarily in terms of difficulty

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

i generally like role-playing in my role-playing games, so whichever kind allows me to do that. Creating characters, making decisions, exploring multiple story paths, etc. I don't mind if it's turn-based or real time. Will give anything a shot if it fulfills the above criteria.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Action

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Action. It's more fluid and realistic/immersive.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Not action. That just hurt the RPG. I can not think of a action RPG that I would place as a top RPG.

The problem with Skyrim and Fallout 4 is the action elements they added to the game play.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#17 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I grew up playing turn based RPG's like FFVII, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, etc. so that's where I feel most comfortable but I also really love a good action RPG like Kingdom Hearts, and The Witcher 3. I pretty much love all RPG's as long as they're not completely trash lol. I just can't really do tactical RPG's, though

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I think you could put an option for REAL TIME TURN BASED RPG: (Ni no Kuni 1, Final Fantasy 13, Yokai Watch, White Knight Chroniceles ETC)

My favourite one is Action RPG. Tales is my favourite game series of all time, with some other favourite games like Nights of Azure, FF15, Kingdom Hearts and others.

RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RonnieAV
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

@yammireckorrdsan: I'm glad to see another Nights of Azure fan! I'm only on chapter 3 lol.

YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YammiReckorrdSan

@ronnieav: I like how the game is Hack and Slash mixed with monster taming elements. The bosses are also great. But I don't really consider it as an RPG. Your max level is 10, and it takes long time to level up. If you hadn't mention it, I wouldn't mention it either, because for me it is an Hack and Slash.

Odyssey93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#21 Odyssey93
Member since 2013 • 40 Posts

I don't really have a preference, it just depends on how well the game plays out the sub-genre. For example, my favorite franchise (Fire Emblem) is a SRPG but I don't really care much for other SRPGs. But I'll give my vote to Turn-Based since that's where most of my favorites would fall under.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Generally I prefer turn based but I akso like real time. But hybrid of turn based and real time action (e.g., Shadow Heart, Valkyrie Chronicles ...) is best.

DerpaDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DerpaDerp
Member since 2017 • 59 Posts

I am so sorry DDS, DDS2, Nocturne and Persona series :'( but Dark Souls is muh kind of thing now.

Although, turn based games and tactical games like Front Mission and Deadly Poison were the first games I've enjoyed. Both the plot and game concepts are immense.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

Well, the only kind of RPG I've played so far is action, so that's what I'm voting. I would love to try out a turn-based RPG, but I'm not sure what. Suggestions would be great! I'm thinking maybe Persona 5. Any others I should be looking at (preferably on PS3 or PS4)?

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

I can really enjoy turn based or action if the game is good, the only one I absolutely dislike is strategy. It's just too dry and paint by the numbers for me.

YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YammiReckorrdSan

I have to mention something. When it comes to Bosses, I think Turn Based- RPG are better than Action- RPG. With their hard diffuclty your skill can really shine with strategy and thinking. Although that can be said also for Action RPG (like Dark Souls), I still enjoy the bosses in Turn Based more than Action RPG.

But overall I like action better. But there are some really good Turn Based RPG out there like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Digimon Story Cyber Seluth, and some others.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I really don't like very many action RPGs. Turn based and tactical are a lot better, imo.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@Ameer27 said:

Well, the only kind of RPG I've played so far is action, so that's what I'm voting. I would love to try out a turn-based RPG, but I'm not sure what. Suggestions would be great! I'm thinking maybe Persona 5. Any others I should be looking at (preferably on PS3 or PS4)?

I'm pretty sure Persona 5 is one of the best RPG's there is right now unless you wanna go way old school. It is a bit text heavy but the story and characters are great and there's also a ton of stuff to do. It also is at least 100+ hours to beat so it's well worth it's cost as well imo. Also on PS3 have you played Ni No Kuni? It's a really great turn based rpg and they're also coming out with the sequel on PS4 too.

RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RonnieAV

@Ameer27 said:

Megadimension Neptunia VII is a really fun and charming turn-based RPG but it can get chatty with its visual novel scenes. Final Fantasy X-HD is also a nice one if you want something old school with a fresh coat of paint. If you own a 3DS, Pokémon games are a must-play turn-based RPG. Whether or not you'll end up liking the series as a result is up to you.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

@Valgaav_219 I will get Persona 5 then and try it out. I've been considering Ni no Kuni for a while, so if you recommend it I'll check it out as well.

@ronnieav I've never heard of Megadimension Neptunia VII before, but I'll look into it. I'll take a look at Final Fantasy X-HD as well. Will I have to play previous games in the respective series to understand those games? As for 3DS, my little brother owns one, and the first game he played on it was Pokemon Y and he tells me it's great, so maybe I can borrow it for a while. Though to be honest it didn't look much interesting to me when I saw him playing. I could be mistaken though, as I've never really tried it myself.

RonnieAV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RonnieAV

@Ameer27: Nah, Final Fantasy games are always different stories with different characters. As for Neptunia, I started with Megadimension and never felt lost in the lore from the previous games. They keep you up to speed and it follows a fresh story. Pokemon Y is one of the weaker entries. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Sun/Moon are much better games to try out on the 3DS.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@undefined: All the titles you've mentioned are JRPGs which I can't stand due to the creepy look inherent to Japanese anime.

So when choosing an RPG, I choose American.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

It depends on the RPG game but mostly, I find action-rpg enjoyable but anyway, I still find other RPG genres appreciative.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#34 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Action then turned based than tactical

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Action and turned based for me

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11781 Posts

I can go for any of them. Depends on my mood really.

When I have played a good bit of one for a while, I start to desire the other. You know that old chestnut.

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

I really used to like Turn Based but I find myself getting tired of that style as I get older.

Harpy119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Harpy119
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Yes U Should Go For Tactical,Action Based RPG's Like Darksiders,Skyrim,Fallout,Bioshock,Far cry ......

These Are Gud To Play And Have A Great Touch Of Story....

Hey I Have A Youtube Channel Named " DeuceCamenn 12Gamer " would U Go And Watch My gameplays I Hope U Find Them Intresting,,

Please As A Gamer U Can Help Another Gamer Like Me ....

And Share That Stuff With All Your Friends...

Thank You Dude....

Harpy119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Harpy119
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@hrt_rulz01:

Hey I Have A Youtube Channel Named " DeuceCamenn 12Gamer " would U Go And Watch My gameplays I Hope U Find Them Intresting,,

Please As A Gamer U Can Help Another Gamer Like Me ....

And Share That Stuff With All Your Friends...

Thank You Dude....

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

I would say I like Action the best. Some Turn-Based games are good, but some of them do nothing for me. I don't really care for Tactical games at all.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#42 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

I love turn based and action equally. I don't have patience for strategy, which sucks because there are a ton of good strategy games out there.

DerpaDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DerpaDerp
Member since 2017 • 59 Posts

@Ameer27: ahhhh.. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga sequels are one of the best things I could offer you man :D dont forget to check also Raidou Kuzunoha

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I don't agree with how you subclass the type of RPG.

Out of the RPG I would say it more I have a poor view on action.

Action does not go well with RPG.