Which Resident Evil game is better RE4 or RE5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

special-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 33

#1  Edited By special-ops
Member since 2011 • 121 Posts

I like both of them but these two games are pretty awesome to play at home and I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil so guy's which Resident Evil game is better Resident Evil 4 or Resident Evil 5?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Resident Evil 4 was the last numbered sequel in the Resident Evil franchise.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well President Evil 4 had 3 Campaigns, but President (Seperate Ways and Assignment Ada) Evil 5 had co-op

obviously it wouldn't be fair to compare graphics.

President Evil 5 had better mobility (Sidestepping) and better controls (triggers)

President Evil 5 had more stun points.

They're both good games

btw, Neither were horror in before "President Evil 5 Lost its Way"

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@barrybarryk said:

Resident Evil 4 was the last numbered sequel in the Resident Evil franchise.

Pretty much this, is not even a contest.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Its only a matter of time before People start Dick Riding Shinji Mikami in here.

Brace yourselves.

Or maybe some people just don't think the series needed to be turned into an action shooter

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Resi evil 4 is my fav.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Its only a matter of time before People start Dick Riding Shinji Mikami in here.

Brace yourselves.

that depends on the evil within. If someone is good at what he does, i don't see anything bad at getting recognition, and many think re 4 was one of the best in the series, in fact many say it's the best. It was more action focused but at least it kept some tension and atmosphere, re 5 and 6 (except maybe for leon's campaign) no, just no.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Resident Evil 4 pulled me in more than action packed Resi 5, but Resi 2 was my all time favourite game, at the time it was so good, i loved how they had 2 different campaigns which went side by side to each other and inter linked throughout

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I think Resident Evil 5 has much better gameplay than RE4 (and really is a fantastic shooter all-round), but Resident Evil 4 was definitely a more influential and important game (even if it hasn't aged very well).

I also don't know which game had better set-pieces, but I think I preferred Wesker's silliness in RE5 to Saddler's WTF-ery in RE4. Plus I'm pretty certain I preferred Shiva to Ashley.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@ Krelian-co

What exactly was so tense and atmospheric about 4 ?

People keep saying it but nobody ever explains it.

To me they all felt the same. President Evil 5 is just 4 with co-op and better gameplay to me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@ Planeforger

What about prefering Sheva to Ada ?

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Resident Evil 5 was inferior. It had all of Africa, yet spent 1/3 of the game in a dull factory. It's levels were linear, divided by checkpoints, leaving little room for exploration. Most of it's characters, enemies and tropes were derived from RE4 anyway. And it was half of RE4's length, yet still managed to pack in more dull moments.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ drekula2

President Evil 4 was just as Linear as 5.

As for dull, everything around that Salazar midget was dull. Maybe Saints Row 4 is more your speed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

This is Uncharted 2 all over again.

Actually its the other way around since President Evil 4 came out 1st.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Anyone who's a fan of the series or survival horror in general will say 4, and that's an opinion I personally agree with. While 4 was a shift towards "action" and away from the traditional survival horror of the series, many of the changes were pretty welcome and it was a highly reviewed game. 5 shoehorned an unnecessary co-op mechanic in, which essentially ruined the formula. Progression became more linear, the inventory screen was simplified down to 9 distinct items regardless of their size (a complaint about earlier RE games), and you were forced to interact with a brain-dead AI partner if you weren't playing co-op. 5 was an alright action game, but it was a terrible Resident Evil game.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

Its definately the best one. Its just not a great game, atleast not where it matters.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I like RE5 more. RE4 felt like they were just going for a horror with shoehorned game play in most of the places. Hands down I would play RE5 before RE4 be it solo or co-op. I guess it not much of a contest since RE6 is at the bottom of RE games I have played which includes resident evil operation raccoon city.

creepychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 creepychainsaw
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

I would have to say Resident Evil 4 is by far the stronger one here. This was the first time Resident Evil players felt lost due to the complete overhaul and it worked in RE4's favor. We all had to adapt to the change: No T-Virus, No Zombies, nothing resembled the previous installments apart from characters and a few other novelties like the typewriter. This experience also makes Resi 4 far more memorable. Also, the merchant was a delightfully enigmatic character who completely vanishes after 4 which was a shame. He made no sense for being there but he was still a charm.

For me, Resident Evil 5 was the festering of the fast pace, actionaholic genre the series is branded with today. Moreover, co-op, although a very pleasing concept for some, just wasn't implemented correctly because, playing it through single player; Shiva might as well of been my shadow she was that two dimensional and frustrating. The game encourages co-op to the point where the single player experience is compromised in certain parts.

To conclude, all I want to say is, want infinite ammo for everything in Resident Evil 5? Just buy it. No need to complete the game in under two hours like the golden oldies or anything, just rack up that gold and treasure value and buy infinite everything. Challenge gone.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ creepychainsaw

The Challenge is still there, they're just not gona reward you for it (actually they will, with Infinite rocket launcher ammo).

Also this whole infinte ammo thing and upgrades in genereal was annoying in both 4 and 5.

They shouldve balanced them out like they were in Mercenaries Mode, the Core gameplay really shines there.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

ORC is the first Resident Evil game I ever played that I didn't even try to beat. It was just terrible.

-Byshop

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

i'd have to say 4, and not just cause it was the last true sequel but i absolutely HATED having to tote around that Shiva b!tch the whole game, the forced AI co-op partner made RE5 aggravating beyond words.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@ ShangTsung7

Shes Ashley with a gun !

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wiouds

@dvader654 said:

@wiouds said:

I like RE5 more. RE4 felt like they were just going for a horror with shoehorned game play in most of the places. Hands down I would play RE5 before RE4 be it solo or co-op. I guess it not much of a contest since RE6 is at the bottom of RE games I have played which includes resident evil operation raccoon city.

Just commenting on the last part, REALLY? You think Operation Raccoon City, a game that is BROKEN, a game where actual cutscenes are clearly missing, a game that plays and controls like utter crap... you think that was better than RE6.

This blows my mind.

I mean RE4. I would play any other RE before RE4 again.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

RE4 is better ..RE5 is where partner co-op crap started.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

4. In every way.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

RE4 is far superior but RE5 is still fun, too.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Resi franchise is dead bro. Only ever played Res6 and it was a average/fun action game at best. I'd say I prefer Silent hill over Resi, as the last Silent Hill game was actually somewhat decent and kept some of its horror roots.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

4. Despite it not really being that great to begin with and more of a action aspect to it with ridiculous characters that were like cartoon characters it was still better than 5 because 5 was just 4 allover again, only a lot shittier.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Actually, I had twice as much fun playing RE5. RE4 and 5 felt almost identical in terms of enemies and bosses, but the torrent section, story, and gameplay were really a breath of fresh air for me. Chris, Jill, and Wesker are hands down my favorite RE characters and when they released that teaser of Jills tombstone, I had nerd rage all the way up until I played the game and found out what had really happened. Capcom really amp'd up Wesker's evilness in the game too but I have to admit, he wasn't as challenging as I had hoped he would be as a last boss and it was a bit sad to see him bite the dust. I was actually hoping he would pull a Cell and regenerate because a hair on his head had survived or something, lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#35  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time. RE5 doesn't come close.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Uhhh Resident Evil 4 by a mile. Its a fun game, thats also very white knuckle and stressful horror. RE 5 is an action game.

darthmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 darthmario123
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

Resident Evil 4 will always be my favorite.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wiouds

@mesomorphin said:

Resi franchise is dead bro. Only ever played Res6 and it was a average/fun action game at best. I'd say I prefer Silent hill over Resi, as the last Silent Hill game was actually somewhat decent and kept some of its horror roots.

RE games are not horror but survival Horror games. Since the first game it was about armed and well trained forces. Beside getting away from weak roots is never a bad thing.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mesomorphin

@wiouds said:

@mesomorphin said:

RE games are not horror but survival Horror games. Since the first game it was about armed and well trained forces. Beside getting away from weak roots is never a bad thing.

Are you trying to suggest that the recent Resident Evil games are good? hmmm??

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wiouds

@mesomorphin said:

@wiouds said:

@mesomorphin said:

Just that less focus on horror is better for games overall.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mesomorphin

@wiouds said:

@mesomorphin said:

@wiouds said:

@mesomorphin said:

Depends what game you are talking about. Maybe with Sonic, crash bandicoot or Call of duty I would agree....but for Resident evil? are you serious man? if you think that RES 5 and 6 where improvements in the series, you've lost it dude.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

President Evil

Stop making that fucking awful pun.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Gargus said:

ridiculous characters that were like cartoon characters

Why do you say this like it's a bad thing. RE has always had ridiculous, cartoonish characters. RE4 is just the only one to acknowledge that and ham it up in the best ways possible. Games need more cheese.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Pffrbt

Can you get CoolyFet and Old Jack to stop referring to themselves in the 3rd person ?

Lulu would really appreciate that. :p

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@superbuuman said:

RE4 is better ..RE5 is where partner co-op crap started.

Off the top of my head...just about every single Resident Evil game has featured pairs of male and female characters working together to survive their biohazards.

Resident Evil 5 was the first game to capitalise on that (and they did it extremely well - RE5 is a damn fine co-op shooter), but it was just a natural progression from what had already been included in the rest of the series. I mean, Resident Evil 1 could have easily had Jill+Barry or Chris+Rebecca co-op if the technology supported it at the time.

Meanwhile, I think Resident Evil 4 was the only Resident Evil game where I got annoyed at the main character's partner. "Shoot the barrel Leon", "Leon, HELP", etc. Ugh.

@Pffrbt said:

@Gargus said:

ridiculous characters that were like cartoon characters

Why do you say this like it's a bad thing. RE has always had ridiculous, cartoonish characters. RE4 is just the only one to acknowledge that and ham it up in the best ways possible. Games need more cheese.

It definitely wasn't the only one. RE5's Wesker was *gloriously* cheesey, and his heir did a decent job of continuing that tradition in RE6.

Then again, RE4 *is* the only Resident Evil game where you have to flee from a giant animated stone statue of a midget in a Napoleon outfit. So there's that.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Both are good action games. 5 is a lot of fun if playing co-op but the AI isn't so great for playing alone. Either way your partner is less annoying than Ashley.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wiouds

@mesomorphin said:

@wiouds said:

@mesomorphin said:

@wiouds said:

@mesomorphin said:

Depends what game you are talking about. Maybe with Sonic, crash bandicoot or Call of duty I would agree....but for Resident evil? are you serious man? if you think that RES 5 and 6 where improvements in the series, you've lost it dude.

I did not say remove it but to not focus on horror. Horror need you to think with a different mind set than what game play is about. Game play comes down to problem solving. That critical thinking is one of the thing that hurts horror. They are many things in a horror movie at is scary at that time but when you think about it in a different way is seem stupid. Also in horror focused games, to scare the player they use jump scares or weaken the game play to make the player feel more helpless.

I am just saying I like playing them better RE4. Are they perfect? No. Also, I love how in RE5 and 6 they make RE1, 2, and 3 important.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

RE4!

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

I played the heck out of 4 - one of my favorite games ever. Wanted to like 5, but the demo shocked me at how much I didn't like it... bought 5 anyway, and to this day it's unfinished. I had hoped 6 would be a return to form, but the demo (of which I played Leon's since I heard it was the most traditional) disgusted me, so I didn't even bother.