Which ps2 GTA did you liked more? Vice City ot San Andreas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for PistolGanglings
PistolGanglings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By PistolGanglings

Poll Which ps2 GTA did you liked more? Vice City ot San Andreas? (31 votes)

Vice City 58%
San Andreas 39%
 • 
ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

San Andreas. I say with verve and vigor and not a second of hesitation. Vice had better music though. Still, CJ was a great character and the customization options were great. The skill progression was great. Also JETPACK!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca532262d747
deactivated-5ca532262d747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By deactivated-5ca532262d747
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts

im gonna have to say vice city because it was actually fun, san andreas was like 100 hours of crap i dont even know what i did for that long What the hell did i do that whole time seriously? vice city throws that game in the trash

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca532262d747
deactivated-5ca532262d747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5ca532262d747
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13: cj was a punk what kinda guy gets bullied when hes buff? pshh

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

San Andreas

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Definitely San Andreas. Still my favourite game in the series.

CasualGamer36x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CasualGamer36x
Member since 2012 • 65 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Even after GTA5? Care to explain please? I'm gonna buy GTA5 soon and I'd like to know it's negatives.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Vice City ftw

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

San Andreas.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@inso-maniac said:

@ZZoMBiE13: cj was a punk what kinda guy gets bullied when hes buff? pshh

@inso-maniac said:

im gonna have to say vice city because it was actually fun, san andreas was like 100 hours of crap i dont even know what i did for that long What the hell did i do that whole time seriously? vice city throws that game in the trash

The only thing in San Andreas I would call crap was the RC plane mission in San Fiero. Other than that, it was gold. Skills improved over time, which gave context and rewards to playing, you could have a super fat CJ, a super buff CJ, and all points in between depending on what you wanted from your character. The customization options went unmatched for years. There was a jetpack. There were more cars, more planes, more weapons, more land to explore. Training missions that had actual benefits to the gameplay. Fighting school to become better at hand to hand fighting. And a top notch voice cast delivering a pretty decent story for an open world game.

If that's your idea of "crap", you and I have a very different opinion of quality. Vice City was a fine game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll concede that it had a better selection of radio options as well. But San Andreas was the gold standard that I still don't think Rockstar have surpassed. At least not in the GTA series.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

San fvcking Andreas,nothing more,lots of good gold in there,and it's "cheats" were the only feature that made this game the best in the series,no other GTA have a 100-mission storyline,cj is the best protagonist,and you can bring the pain with a real minigun + 6-star wanted level,no time for riding planes?easy...just pull out a convenient JETPACK,o and also...you can start a massive fire from a single bottle of molotov

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smashbrossive50

By saying lots of good gold,I mean look at him(cj) he's got everything. Jetpack,huge sum of money in an instant,women,rare cars,businesses,hundreds of houses,muscle,fat,bigger better weapons,you name it

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@CasualGamer36x said:

@hrt_rulz01: Even after GTA5? Care to explain please? I'm gonna buy GTA5 soon and I'd like to know it's negatives.

I just felt more engaged in San Andreas because I like the story and the characters better. Also, the missions in SA were more enjoyable to me.

But don't go by me, I'd probably be one of the only ones here that have this view.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

What's wrong with people. Vice City was like a hundred times better.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZZoMBiE13

@good_sk8er7 said:

What's wrong with people. Vice City was like a hundred times better.

The thing of it is, they are very different in terms of mechanics and gameplay.

Saying I prefer San Andreas is not slight against Vice City. Vice was amazing. And of all the GTA games, it used it's aesthetic design better than any. As someone who grew up in that era of the 80s when Don Johnson was the big thing on television and Scarface was still a new movie, I appreciated it's dedication to the theme all the more.

But it was functionally very similar to 3, while San Andreas felt like it was moving the series forward with new gameplay additions, tweaks to what worked in the past, and upgradable skills.

All things being equal, I liked Ray Liota as Tommy Vercetti an awful lot. Probably more than CJ. But these are open world games, and San Andreas' huge open world felt more substantial with more to do and see and interact with. From kitting out cars with hydraulic lifts all the way up to piloting a jetpack to the tops of huge skyscrapers to base jump, I still consider it the apex of sandbox game design all these years later. Only Saints Row 2 comes close in what it has to offer the player. And even it falls short if we're going to do a bullet point list.

If we were just talking about story, I probably liked Vice better. But games are interactive and therefore if we take the whole thing into account, San Andreas will get the nod every time.

But this, as most discussions about games and game design, comes down to a subjective choice of what worked for the individual. What was it that made Vice CIty resonate so much more with you over San Andreas? I'd really like to know. I never tire of talking about these kinds of things. :)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I always gotta say San Andreas. The large, varied open world was easily the best of its time to me.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13:

I do agree that SA was a high point of open world games, there was like endless amounts of things to do.

The thing that really puts VC above SA in my mind is the atmosphere and experience. The story was great and Ray Liotta was a great casting decision.

I've never really been a fan of the boyz n the hood type of thing. Unorganized street gangs and hood rats has never been interesting to me in the slightest.

I did enjoy SA a lot, the city rioting near the end was pretty amazing. I'll always remember VC more fondly.

rigbybot127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 rigbybot127
Member since 2011 • 269 Posts

San Andreas is great, but Vice City is golden. While it doesn't quite match the masterfullness of III, IV, or V, it's still damn good, and one of the best PS2 games ever made, as well as in the top 5 Xbox games ever made.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

I prefer Vice City's atmosphere, characters, and story vs San Andreas. So I have to pick Vice City.

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

Vice City for me. Both we're exceptional though. I just thought Vice City had a more immersive world.

Repeal_It

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Repeal_It
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Vice city by far. Out of all the games ive ever played it had one of the best atmospheres. Perfect blend of characters, location, vibes, and soundtrack

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Smashbrossive50

the jetpack in SA is so special that no other GTA can have this,vice city got less when it comes to character mod,you can't undress his top,while in SA,you do,and you can use a haircut or paint a tattoo. Pay&Spray in VC is the only way to camouflage your ride,while in SA,you have a mechanic that can do a "Pimp My Ride" with more than just paint

b4il

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 b4il
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

vice city is my favorite gta of all time

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Vice city hands down, the story and characters was good while in San Andreas they seem to have done the same mistake as in GTA V, focused more on making it as big as possible.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

San Andreas.