Which Nintendo 64 Games hold up Today? Which don't?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]

[QUOTE="jedinat"]

The greatly improved character draw distance and more detailed textures of the sequel does wonders for the appeal of the game today.

jedinat

I'd say gameplay does wonders for lasting appeal.

Obviously. Otherwise there would be little need to address the graphics, since there's no reason to play the game in the first place. My point was that Majora's Mask, in a technological sense, has aged rather gracefully.... where Ocarina really has not.

I understand what you're saying. The technical side of games don't mean as much as the artistic side to me. You are correct that Majora's Mask has more draw distance and better textures than OOT, but both games exhibit a fantastic art styl* and those kind of games hold up well graphically IMO. TBO, I don't pay too much attention to graphics anymore. At least, they don't impress me like they use to.

Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#52 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, Rayman 2, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Zelda, Mario Party, Mario sports games, DK64, Smash Bros, Kirby 64 all hold up great to me.

No 64 games are really not entertaining to me anymore; I can respect the gameplay and how it felt when it first came out and still enjoy the games unless the games were just downright BAD.

supertapey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 supertapey
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts

the only games would be mario party and earthbound

htotheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 htotheo
Member since 2005 • 2759 Posts

Mario Kart has still held up alright but not the greatest and 007 is jsut plain bad now.

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
The Zelda games, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Banjo and Sin and Punishment come to mind.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Banjo Kazooie still laughs at any platformer made ever since. Except Psychonauts.
DustMan2704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 DustMan2704
Member since 2009 • 52 Posts
Why is everyone screaming "Goldeneye 007!!! ftw" ? have you never played its spiritual succesor "Perfect Dark" . even after 10 years i still play this game, why? well if you ask me why, you never played it, it laughs at everyone of todays shooters including goldeneye(because of its lame multiplayer), its the first and only game to ever exceed my expectations! it got everything and more! the only downside is the framerate tough. i wont give pros or cons for graphics and story, since graphics are depending on the time of its release and story is absolutely not necessary for any game! where should i begin... it got a HUGE load of different weapons from throwing knives, melee attacks to disarm your opponent to laptop guns and x-ray alien sniper rifles.and lots of things to blow stuff up. every weapon has atleast an alternate function, some of em even up to five or six. it got clever enemy AI(well for its time they were kickass, and guess what? better than goldeneyes!) they could call reinforcements, throw granades(besides using their primary weapon, yeah you dont see that often in a shooter), had tons of death animations, they could even give up and throw their weapon away(how often does this happen in a shooter nowadays?), they could do barrel rolls and sidesteps to avoid being shot, and they had alot of speeches. bosses! yay it got bosses! i love boss fights! in some shooters i really miss em cough cough Halo cough cough... it got nice mission designs, yep even a mission where you dont have to kill everything in sight^^ in some you arent alone and accompanied by an alien ;) Elvis ownz! he music of the game is definitiv a plus for me, i liked most of the soundtracks especially the credits and "pelacig 2". check em out on youtube if you want. and theres stuff to do besides mission, like the shooting range(including trials for unlocks), watching data of cahracters and weapons, and try to find the "cheese" in every mission :) oh and there are a myriad of cheats and customes to unlock, so youll be entertained for quite a while Multiplayer/coop: cooperative play, oh did i mention that you can play the whole campaign together with a friend ? or even if you got no friends next to you, you could use up to two AI controlled assistants( you could choose different partners, if you unlocked em). not much shooters have this feature... oh and you can give commands to your partners.... counter-operative mode! what did you say counter-operative? yep, one player can play through the normal campaign while the other player spawns into an (normally AI controlled) enemy on the map with their proper equipment , to hinder the first player on his objectives, even if shot down, youll respawn in another AI. believe me its great fun. now tell me who many games have this feature/mode?! Multiplayer mode: not only the singleplayer campaing is kickass, the multiplayer is the best and most complete to ever be released! for example the customization: -customize your character model with a collection of bodys and heads which you unlocked, theres lots of em. -choose your soundtrack while playing ( not too many games have this feat, no mp3s since its a console game of course) -different modes like deathmach, team deathmach, king of the hill, capture the flag and some other i forgot now XD -you could choose the weapon layout spawned on the map -you could activate as much cheats as you want in multiplayer Bots! sadly the n64 could only handle up to 4 human players(which made goldeneye 007s multiplayer a bit lame, come on capture the flag with ony 4 players? on one screen XD), but perfect dark featured up to 8 bots, which could be configurated in their behaviour for example and difficulty setting, for example you could choose a pacifist, melee fighters or revengers who would hunt you down if you killed em once and many more... of course you could give em all commands like stay here or search and destroy and other funky stuff. sadly todays games doesnt even have half the innovation and quality and content that perfect dark got. perfect dark can laugh at every shooter that comes its way for good reason!!! damn good reason!!!
qsefthuko50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 qsefthuko50
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I think most games nintendo re-released on the virtual console are a good indication of still playable games. Also alot of games are still playable however really can't be described as "outstanding 100% master pieces" I'm looking at you Zelda Ocarina of timeand Super Mario 64

Solid_Snake56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 Solid_Snake56
Member since 2002 • 3954 Posts

I think Goldeneye is still entertaining to play with friends...zelda and mario hold up very well...along with star fox

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#60 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I think certainly Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 007, and the other classics.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Why is everyone screaming "Goldeneye 007!!! ftw" ? have you never played its spiritual succesor "Perfect Dark" . even after 10 years i still play this game, why? well if you ask me why, you never played it, it laughs at everyone of todays shooters including goldeneye(because of its lame multiplayer), its the first and only game to ever exceed my expectations! it got everything and more! the only downside is the framerate tough. i wont give pros or cons for graphics and story, since graphics are depending on the time of its release and story is absolutely not necessary for any game! where should i begin... it got a HUGE load of different weapons from throwing knives, melee attacks to disarm your opponent to laptop guns and x-ray alien sniper rifles.and lots of things to blow stuff up. every weapon has atleast an alternate function, some of em even up to five or six. it got clever enemy AI(well for its time they were kickass, and guess what? better than goldeneyes!) they could call reinforcements, throw granades(besides using their primary weapon, yeah you dont see that often in a shooter), had tons of death animations, they could even give up and throw their weapon away(how often does this happen in a shooter nowadays?), they could do barrel rolls and sidesteps to avoid being shot, and they had alot of speeches. bosses! yay it got bosses! i love boss fights! in some shooters i really miss em cough cough Halo cough cough... it got nice mission designs, yep even a mission where you dont have to kill everything in sight^^ in some you arent alone and accompanied by an alien ;) Elvis ownz! he music of the game is definitiv a plus for me, i liked most of the soundtracks especially the credits and "pelacig 2". check em out on youtube if you want. and theres stuff to do besides mission, like the shooting range(including trials for unlocks), watching data of cahracters and weapons, and try to find the "cheese" in every mission :) oh and there are a myriad of cheats and customes to unlock, so youll be entertained for quite a while Multiplayer/coop: cooperative play, oh did i mention that you can play the whole campaign together with a friend ? or even if you got no friends next to you, you could use up to two AI controlled assistants( you could choose different partners, if you unlocked em). not much shooters have this feature... oh and you can give commands to your partners.... counter-operative mode! what did you say counter-operative? yep, one player can play through the normal campaign while the other player spawns into an (normally AI controlled) enemy on the map with their proper equipment , to hinder the first player on his objectives, even if shot down, youll respawn in another AI. believe me its great fun. now tell me who many games have this feature/mode?! Multiplayer mode: not only the singleplayer campaing is kickass, the multiplayer is the best and most complete to ever be released! for example the customization: -customize your character model with a collection of bodys and heads which you unlocked, theres lots of em. -choose your soundtrack while playing ( not too many games have this feat, no mp3s since its a console game of course) -different modes like deathmach, team deathmach, king of the hill, capture the flag and some other i forgot now XD -you could choose the weapon layout spawned on the map -you could activate as much cheats as you want in multiplayer Bots! sadly the n64 could only handle up to 4 human players(which made goldeneye 007s multiplayer a bit lame, come on capture the flag with ony 4 players? on one screen XD), but perfect dark featured up to 8 bots, which could be configurated in their behaviour for example and difficulty setting, for example you could choose a pacifist, melee fighters or revengers who would hunt you down if you killed em once and many more... of course you could give em all commands like stay here or search and destroy and other funky stuff. sadly todays games doesnt even have half the innovation and quality and content that perfect dark got. perfect dark can laugh at every shooter that comes its way for good reason!!! damn good reason!!!DustMan2704

For me, the framerate makes the game almost unplayable. It really is an eye sore.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

A lot of the 1st party games still hold up remarkably well. Starfox 64, Mario 64, the Zelda games, and Donkey Kong 64 are all just as playable now as they were 10 years ago.

The games which have aged very poorly are mostly the FPS games and pre-OoT action-adventure games. Both are pretty much unplayable now.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 thebest31406

Though the game may seem irrelevant due to it's successor on the Gamecube, one could argue that F-Zero X holds up pretty well. I believe that it's the only racing game on the N64 that runs at a consistent 60 fps, so the animation is very smooth.

Avatar image for Mister__Awesome
Mister__Awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Mister__Awesome
Member since 2009 • 2439 Posts

Though the game may seem irrelevant due to it's successor on the Gamecube, one could argue that F-Zero X holds up pretty well. I believe that it's the only racing game on the N64 that runs at a consistent 60 fps, so the animation is very smooth.

thebest31406
DK 64 runs at 60 fps consistently as well. I just love DK 64 it was the game that made me the gamer i am today lol.
llgc80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 llgc80
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Both Banjo!!!

llgc80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 llgc80
and dk64
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The FPS games are terrible nowadays imo. If I hadn't played a single game with dual analog, or keyboard/mouse I could probably go back and play them, but it's impossible. The controls are just terrible.

Monster597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Monster597
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts

I still like playing 007 Goldeneye for simplicity and arcade like gameplay, for some reason I now find the frame rate quite poor which is something I had never noticed before. Mario 64 has stood the test of time very well and it gets my vote.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#70 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Conker still looks, sounds, and plays great. I never get tired of it. Heck, I never get tired of the 64. Even games that got poor or mixed reviews at the time I like. Buck Bumble comes to mind. Gotta love his theme song.spongeliv

Im ashamed of you for forgetting Banjo Tooie and Banjo Kazooie :(

also Pokemon Snap holds up well today too, it is really short (you can probably get through it in around an hour) but has a LOT of replayability.

OnionTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 OnionTree
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

Have you kids ever tried just sitting down with an old game? The controls, the framerate, "archaic" game mechanics, all of those little problems tend to go away if you just sit down with a game, forget about your newer games for a while, and just try to enjoy them. You liked them more back then than you do now for a reason. You can still find them fun, it's not "impossible" to go back to Goldeneye. When I moved out a few months back, I invested in a motherlode of N64 games I never had the chance to buy, and I've mostly been playing N64 this year. It's fun as hell. I don't play too much Goldeneye anymore, but Hexen 64 was, contrary to popular opinion, a very good port of a game only I seem to like. Starcraft 64 was my introduction to Starcraft (not everybody could afford a computer back then, in case you forgot), and it's still pretty playable. Obviously, it's not on the same level as the PC version, but the controls couldn't really have been better and it's fun.

I don't get how anybody can think TP and WW were better than the N64 Zeldas. Man, I thought TP was bland and forgettable, and Wind Waker is very nice looking, but overall the feel of the N64 Zeldas is just amazing and the gameplay is overall better. I think I saw somebody mention PH here? If it wasn't for Linebeck, I'm not sure I'd have forced my way all the way through that game.

I don't get half of this "aged well" crap. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who likes a lot more than he hates, though I've played many genuinely horrible games. Just try it. Unplug your other crap, plug in the N64, and take a hiatus from all that other stuff for a few weeks. Trust me, most reasonable people would probably adjust, and you'll remember what you liked about those "poorly aged" games. Shrug of the negatives, or even better embrace them if you can. I've been annoyed enough for one lifetime by people who can't deal with older RPG mechanics. I don't get why, I like all this old stuff from when I was younger a helluva lot more. The words "dungeon", "mapping", "menus", "grinding", and "little character development" instill feelings of hell on earth to RPG gamers today.

Bah, fine. Go back to Gears of War. I'm still playing ****ing Doom, and it's still completely awesome and looks cooler too! Oh, and I've escaped with the Amulet of Yendor without any guides, just pure practice, learning, dedication, and luck. How many achievement points would you say that's worth, huh?

Lisaanne30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#73 Lisaanne30
Member since 2007 • 1472 Posts
Banjo Kazooie ,mario Kart 64, and super mario 64
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 thebest31406

Have you kids ever tried just sitting down with an old game? The controls, the framerate, "archaic" game mechanics, all of those little problems tend to go away if you just sit down with a game, forget about your newer games for a while, and just try to enjoy them. You liked them more back then than you do now for a reason. You can still find them fun, it's not "impossible" to go back to Goldeneye. When I moved out a few months back, I invested in a motherlode of N64 games I never had the chance to buy, and I've mostly been playing N64 this year. It's fun as hell. I don't play too much Goldeneye anymore, but Hexen 64 was, contrary to popular opinion, a very good port of a game only I seem to like. Starcraft 64 was my introduction to Starcraft (not everybody could afford a computer back then, in case you forgot), and it's still pretty playable. Obviously, it's not on the same level as the PC version, but the controls couldn't really have been better and it's fun.

I don't get how anybody can think TP and WW were better than the N64 Zeldas. Man, I thought TP was bland and forgettable, and Wind Waker is very nice looking, but overall the feel of the N64 Zeldas is just amazing and the gameplay is overall better. I think I saw somebody mention PH here? If it wasn't for Linebeck, I'm not sure I'd have forced my way all the way through that game.

I don't get half of this "aged well" crap. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who likes a lot more than he hates, though I've played many genuinely horrible games. Just try it. Unplug your other crap, plug in the N64, and take a hiatus from all that other stuff for a few weeks. Trust me, most reasonable people would probably adjust, and you'll remember what you liked about those "poorly aged" games. Shrug of the negatives, or even better embrace them if you can. I've been annoyed enough for one lifetime by people who can't deal with older RPG mechanics. I don't get why, I like all this old stuff from when I was younger a helluva lot more. The words "dungeon", "mapping", "menus", "grinding", and "little character development" instill feelings of hell on earth to RPG gamers today.

Bah, fine. Go back to Gears of War. I'm still playing ****ing Doom, and it's still completely awesome and looks cooler too! Oh, and I've escaped with the Amulet of Yendor without any guides, just pure practice, learning, dedication, and luck. How many achievement points would you say that's worth, huh?

OnionTree

Why should a person who has never played these old games spend hours on a game before he should receive any kind of enjoyment from them. I did what you're suggesting once and spent a bunch of time playing Perfect Dark and Ocarina of Time and the more time I spent with these games, the more bored I became. They release updates and remakes for a reason and the fact is games tend to age, especially 3D games with very dated technology. But there are a few instances where certain games can stand the test of time; OoT and Perfect Dark is not those games.

OnionTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 OnionTree

Huh... If you say so, dude.

Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#76 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
I think they all hold up just fine personally. But that's probably because I've owned these systems the whole way through and regularly mix up playing the latest releases with rounds of old games.
Dryaxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Dryaxx
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

M64. OoT.. And my fav. Mischief Makers

neutralbias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78 neutralbias
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

perfect dark, turok, golden eye, excite bike 64, mario 64, mario kart and all the mario parties

OnionTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 OnionTree

Saruman1719 said it well. Also, listen to Dryaxx, 'cause he's a Mischief Makers fan and we Mischief Makers fans deserve respect. *crosses arms and nods*

That game has been underrated all the way down through the earth's crust, but at least it's easy to tell who has no taste. >_>

johnnystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#80 johnnystarr
Member since 2006 • 868 Posts

The Wcw and Wwf games are still a ton of fun to play,

Darthbane2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Darthbane2007
Nobody has mentioned Diddy Kong Racing?
OnionTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 OnionTree

Diddy Kong Racing is still excellent. That DS port though, ugh...

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
Very few, the ones that are still good today have also aged quite a lot. Sin and Punishment is one the few exceptions.