Which gen was better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

This gen, or the previous gen.

These questions are a matter of opinion: not fact.

Which gen is better relative to the context of the time?

Which gen is better in absolute terms?

Which gen innovated or improved gaming more?

Which gen will have aged better 10-20 years from now?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I'd say past gen. SD to HD was big.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Sixth generation (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast). Games were still video games then, as opposed to the vaguely interactive movies which regard the player as an inconvenience that we get now.
I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

This gen, with thanks mainly to the amazing Gears Of War and Call Of Duty games and the thrills they brought when playing online!

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

1980's,No stupid DLC,Pre order bonuses,micro transactions,whiny kids,endless boring yearly updates...

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

1996-2001

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drekula2

This gen brought lots of great things to the table.  Strong stories, cinematics, online play and so on.  But, this gen was infested with shooters.  None of which matched the impact of Half Life 2, Metroid Prime or Halo of last gen.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox as far as gameplay although I am a graphics whore. So if we could just bring that gen to these graphics then we would be perfect. I think maybe its just that we have increased our expectations to an insane level.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

6th gen imo

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

last gen by miles and miles. the games were just funner to me then the ones now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
I'd say that this gen was better and the best one overall so far. So many amazing games have come out this gen and for most all of it it's been a steady and constant stream with nary a dry spell to be had. Also the proliferation of HDD's and interenet capabilities have enabled a lot of cool features, great additional content, and another vehicle for games to be delivered. It's allowed for smaller budget games, indie games, and games from previous eras to be delivered more effectively to consumers. Having been an avid gamer ever since the Atari 2600 era I can easily say that this has been the best generation of gaming ever for me. I have never purchased and played a more varied amount of games from as many different developers then I have this gen.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drekula2

I'd say that this gen was better and the best one overall so far. So many amazing games have come out this gen and for most all of it it's been a steady and constant stream with nary a dry spell to be had. Also the proliferation of HDD's and interenet capabilities have enabled a lot of cool features, great additional content, and another vehicle for games to be delivered. It's allowed for smaller budget games, indie games, and games from previous eras to be delivered more effectively to consumers. Having been an avid gamer ever since the Atari 2600 era I can easily say that this has been the best generation of gaming ever for me. I have never purchased and played a more varied amount of games from as many different developers then I have this gen.Archangel3371

Agree to some extent.

In absolute terms, this might be the best gen.  In relative terms, it's probably the worst.

The quality of games are slightly better.  But last gen and the gen before it, the games were significantly better.

For example, I agree Halo 4 was better than Halo 2, but Halo 4 didn't feel in any way to me as awesome as Halo 2 did.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

This gen

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

PS2 era for me.  Games were made by developers who were free to express their creativity.  You got a gigantic variety of games - something for everybody - and if it only sold 100,000 copies, that's okay.  They still made a nice little profit and everybody was happy.

This gen games are made by marketing departments and focus groups.  Everything looks and plays pretty much the same.  It only sold 3.4 million copies?  That's a disaster!  Make the next sequel into an online multiplayer shooter.

Unfortunately this mindset will probably doom the next generation to be exactly like this generation - just with higher resolution.  But once you get to the point where new ideas - or any ideas at all - aren't welcome any more, there's no pint at all in putting a faster CPU in any machine because they're simply not using that to do anything more than it did last gen.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Sixth generation (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast). Games were still video games then, as opposed to the vaguely interactive movies which regard the player as an inconvenience that we get now. famicommander

Such an awful post. I kinda wanted to reply seriously, but I don't think it's worth it. Instead, I'll just refer you to Trackmania Stadium, and ask you to try to find a story in that. Or maybe I'll just ask you: "what's wrong with vaguely interactive movies in the first place?"

PS2 era for me.  Games were made by developers who were free to express their creativity.  You got a gigantic variety of games - something for everybody - and if it only sold 100,000 copies, that's okay.  They still made a nice little profit and everybody was happy.

This gen games are made by marketing departments and focus groups.  Everything looks and plays pretty much the same.  It only sold 3.4 million copies?  That's a disaster!  Make the next sequel into an online multiplayer shooter.

Unfortunately this mindset will probably doom the next generation to be exactly like this generation - just with higher resolution.  But once you get to the point where new ideas - or any ideas at all - aren't welcome any more, there's no pint at all in putting a faster CPU in any machine because they're simply not using that to do anything more than it did last gen.

Jackc8

The words "indie games" invalidate all three of your paragraphs to a point where it would be pointless for me to list the decent creative efforts that came from big publishers this gen. I'll still name Outland, though. Look it up if you don't know it.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

This gen was pretty awesome but It won't beat last gen.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I have never seen a generation with so many quality games like this one.

parazels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 parazels
Member since 2013 • 49 Posts
I am voting for the fifth and seventh generations. We got a real polygon graphics in the age of PlayStation 1. Games and gameplay were changed forever. We got very realistic worlds and wide internet functionality in the current generation.
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts
Definitely this gen for me. I got to play a much wider variety of games, and I was fully introduced to Xbox live for the first time. Like so many other people, I never got a subscription to Xbox live on the original Xbox. At that time, it seemed to me like it was just a luxury that the majority had to do without. Of course, since the 360, it's much harder to find people without live than it is to find people with it.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Last gen.

It had the Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube & Xbox + PC 

BARRICADE_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 BARRICADE_28
Member since 2004 • 154 Posts

Last gen. Games this gen were good but so many were far too similar. Too many sequels, too many FPS games etc. this gen. Far less risk-taking this gen. Realism also started to replace fun and gameplay in some aspects (ie: GTA IV and its car/motorcycle driving controls vs previous GTA games).

Apanrobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Apanrobert
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Last gen. Mainly because the variety of games and genres. As games now days tend to cost at least $10 million to develop you want to bet safe and get your money back. PS2 games didn't have that kind of development cost and therefore more freedom in what content they could have. I can't say that I'm dissatisfied with this generation though. It has had a lot of great games and it seems it's going out with a bang this year and the first half of 2014. Not a bad time to be a gamer I would say.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

6th gen all the way. Granted a lot of good games spawned from 7th gen, but also more gimmicky shit like season passes, collectors editions with cheat code bonuses, announcing DLC before actal game launch, and disc locked content reared it's ugly head.

Plus last gen had more new, fresh IP's to add variety amongst the rehashes. 7th gen started off good (2005 - 2008), but devolved to what was mostly politics, tacked on multiplayer to games that didn't need it, DRM crap, sales figures and impatient casual gamer focus groups who need to be spoon fed text pop up in game messages on how to advance to the next level.

Devs now are too cheap and lazy to even include a detailed instruction manuals which were pretty cool to read back in the day, but constantly bitch and complain about lost of profits from used game sells.

ZomBViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZomBViperKing
Member since 2013 • 100 Posts
Last generation was better for me but this generation still has a chance of finishing strong.
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
I'm partial to the Atari/Intellevision generation
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I'm partial to the Atari/Intellevision generationchicknfeet

You old man you. I say the Pong/Asteroids era. 

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20967 Posts
Sixth gen, and not by a small margin. That doesn't speak to a slump these days, it just means sixth gen was something extremely special. Even though we're near the end of seventh gen, it feels like developers are only now starting to recapture the energy that constantly fueled sixth. Hopefully they don't drop it in the transition to eighth.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I can honestly say that I have fonder memories of the last gen. There were some great games for the current gen but overall there are just so many classics for ps2 / xbox / gc. Maybe I was just younger and it didn't take as much to impress me.

JohnTheGrudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JohnTheGrudge
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
This gen had Red Dead Redemption, Arkham City, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Skyrim... Last gen was great but not a patch on this gen. The best developers really upped their game big time.
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts

I vote this gen. It didn't have quite as many instant classic titles like the past gen did, but it seemed like it had a larger amount of enjoyable games. I played way too many games on the original xbox that I just didn't enjoy very much.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

past gen for sure. ps2 dominance was just legendary. so many quality games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts
Although I have very fond memories of last gen (Gamecube & Xbox are still 2 of my favourite consoles I've owned), the sheer quality of titles this gen is hard to go past. So I say this gen.
Inferi-Fang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Inferi-Fang
Member since 2012 • 78 Posts
Sixth gen without a doubt. Smash bros melee and Halo CE consumed my life lol