Which game is better Gears of war 2 or Uncharted 2:Among Thieves?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by special-ops (121 posts) -

I think Uncharted 2:Among Thieves is better than Gears of war 2 if you guy's like Gears of war 2 it's fine by me or Uncharted 2:Among Thieves it's fine by me so I know that these two games are pretty awesome to play now which game is better Gears of war 2 or Uncharted 2:Among Thieves.

#1 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

Sadly, I have both of those games sitting at home on a shelf waiting to be opened.

#2 Posted by cooolio (583 posts) -

@chicknfeet: For how long?

#3 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

Uncharted 2 hands down for me. It was one of those sequels that managed to improve upon absolutely everything from the previous game. Single player was among the best for the previous generation and the multiplayer wasn't that bad as a first try. Not to say that Gears 2 was bad or anything, but Uncharted 2 was just jaw dropping.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20889 posts) -

I personally prefer Uncharted, due to the more varied gameplay and tongue-in-cheek feel of it, but much can be said in favor of Gears of War's visceral action and seminal mechanics.

#5 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Cant really compare them since they have absolutely nothing at all in any way shape or form in common with each other. Just because they have a cover shoot mechanic doesn't mean you can compare them at all really.

That's like trying to compare jumping flash, and mirrors edge, call of cthulhu and call of duty just because they are all first person. Or comparing a bicycle to an airplane just because they both have wheels.

#6 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (14359 posts) -

Very hard to go past Uncharted 2... it's a brilliant game.

And to be honest, I actually enjoyed Gears 1 more than 2 for some reason.

#7 Posted by chicknfeet (15630 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@chicknfeet: For how long?

At least a year, for sure. Uncharted 2, actually, has been longer

#8 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22931 posts) -

As much as I enjoyed the first Gears, I really didn't care for the second that much. I couldn't even tell you exactly why if I'm honest. It would be easy to say that the Gears style of play was a one-trick pony and that I just didn't want more Gears after beating the first on every difficulty (solo and co-op). But honestly, that's not true either. Because I was really enjoying 3 when it crashed on me and corrupted my save data. Up until then though, I thought it was brilliant.

Gears 2 did have better multiplayer. And Horde mode was great fun. But multiplayer modes are never more than a diversion for me. I just never play them for very long before I want something else to do. Even Halo, as much as I like the franchise, I only play it's multiplayer for a few weeks.

Uncharted 2... I'm one of the people who didn't really care for it. Nothing wrong with it and I recognize it's undeniable quality, but something about the gameplay loop just didn't engage me as well as the first Uncharted did. I think because the characters feel less like caricatures and more like people it's harder to overlook the fact that Drake should be dead from one bullet instead of 40. If Marcus Fenix eats lead for a while before falling it seems about right. He's wearing more metal than your run-of-the-mill steam powered train for corn's sake. But Drake's bullet proof T-shirt just stands as a stark contrast to the realistic nature of the setting and hyper realistic character models in my mind. I don't want to bang on about "realism" in a game. That's never the point. But for some reason it stuck out to me more in Uncharted 2 than other games and I just couldn't reconcile with it in my delicious brain. Still finished it. Still enjoyed it. But every time I make a "best of" list, I can never bring myself to add Among Thieves to it.

#9 Posted by blamix99 (2685 posts) -

easy Uncharted 2

#10 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -

Uncharted 2

#11 Edited by marcheegsr (3113 posts) -

Played both. Love both. But Uncharted 2 is better.

#12 Edited by Archangel3371 (22739 posts) -

Yeah both were excellent games and I certainly enjoyed them both but I would say that I enjoy Gears 2 more because of the shooting mechanics especially in the multiplayer aspects. I also really loved Horde mode.

#13 Edited by Basinboy (13063 posts) -

UC2 is better than the entire Gears series, of which 2 is the wordt

#14 Edited by Zijuun (95 posts) -

@Legendaryscmt said:

Uncharted 2 hands down for me. It was one of those sequels that managed to improve upon absolutely everything from the previous game. Single player was among the best for the previous generation and the multiplayer wasn't that bad as a first try. Not to say that Gears 2 was bad or anything, but Uncharted 2 was just jaw dropping.

#15 Posted by hockeyruler12 (8115 posts) -

Very hard to vote against Uncharted 2. Gears 2 is an excellent game, but Uncharted 2 was on a completely different level IMO. One of my favorites of the generation.

#16 Posted by Slannmage (6499 posts) -

I loved Gears, sadly 2 and 3 sucked.

Uncharted 1 & 3 sucked, 2 was great though.

#17 Posted by firefox59 (4530 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

This is the problem. Uncharted 2 is the best one in that series and Gears 2 is arguably the worst of the three (haven't played Judgement), so comparing them is kinda weird.

#18 Edited by Jacanuk (11591 posts) -

@special-ops said:

I think Uncharted 2:Among Thieves is better than Gears of war 2 if you guy's like Gears of war 2 it's fine by me or Uncharted 2:Among Thieves it's fine by me so I know that these two games are pretty awesome to play now which game is better Gears of war 2 or Uncharted 2:Among Thieves.

Why not compare two games that can actually be compared?

Gears of War is a pure FPS where Uncharted is a Action-adventure game like Tomb Raider. So why not ask what game is best The Sims or Call of Duty. Because its the same thing.

If your asking because you have to choice 1 over the other, than go with what you like to play, are you a huge FPS fan, then go with Gears , are you a huge Action-adventure then Uncharted.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

I pick Uncharted 2. The gameplay of Uncharted 2 was a very cinematic and action-filled experience. The graphics in that game are great for a PS3 game. The plot is decent and the voice-acting is charming.

Gears of War 2 is not a bad game, but it is inferior to Gears of War 1 because everything is slowed down and heavy compared to it. An awesome part of Gears of War 1 is quickly moving around a map while playing as bulky and very muscular characters. Gears of War 2 does not change the speed dramatically, but having been a competitive player of the first game in the past and now again, I noticed the difference in speed. Shields made that more obvious. If the speed had remained the same, Gears of War 2 would be superior to Uncharted 2.

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

I really hope TPSes evolve this upcoming gen.

#21 Edited by Netret0120 (3450 posts) -

Comparing Uncharted 2 to GEOW 2 is an insult sir.

#22 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11185 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Cant really compare them since they have absolutely nothing at all in any way shape or form in common with each other. Just because they have a cover shoot mechanic doesn't mean you can compare them at all really.

That's like trying to compare jumping flash, and mirrors edge, call of cthulhu and call of duty just because they are all first person. Or comparing a bicycle to an airplane just because they both have wheels.

I think games in the same genre should be compared to one another. Uncharted is a third person shooter with cover mechanics. Why shouldn't it be compared to another third person shooter with cover mechanics. The main component of these games is what's similar between them. If these two series aren't comparable, than 98% of all games can't be compared with one another...

#23 Posted by luke1889 (14617 posts) -

I've not played GoW2...but I have played Uncharted 2 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. An incredible game, in my opinion. :D

#24 Posted by ACP_45 (2647 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Gears is not an FPS.

But anyway........ we get the point. :)

#25 Posted by sukraj (27233 posts) -

Uncharted 2

#26 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@Basinboy said:

This is the problem. Uncharted 2 is the best one in that series and Gears 2 is arguably the worst of the three (haven't played Judgement), so comparing them is kinda weird.

Absolutely not. Gears Of War 2 is superior to its predecessor in many ways.

The pacing alone has seen a dramatic improvement. With Gears 1 you were often tied down to very samey combat scenarios over and over with very little variation throughout the experience which led to tedium quickly. It was poorly paced in many regards.

The music in Gears 1 often downplays the combat and abruptly cuts out completely when taking down the final enemy in a room every once in awhile. It should at the very least fade out but it will just STOP out of nowhere and takes me out of the experience.

The visual design took a massive leap forward and the world felt more alive for it. Each room had more personality and had more on offer for the player to look at. Improved visuals, effects and even more characters and wildlife could be found.

The story in Gears 1 felt almost non-existent. You started the game with little to no understanding of the characters, events or anything of value. You just sort of picked up a gun and shot at things simply for the sake of doing so. It felt as if they had an entire chapter set before the opening that they forgot to include. The game never really gives us more than the bare minimum to work with and sometimes even less than that. Gears 2 on the other hand gives the player a much better understanding of its world and the Locusts as well. Right from the opening you can see improvements made here.

Enemies also feel less like bullet sponges than the original and with an added difficulty between Casual and Hardcore, players are given more options as of how to play. Add in new enemy types and weapons as well as Horde mode and you have a far better overall package than the original. The only reason Gears Of War 2 gets a bad rep is due to online multiplayer Gears 1 players who could not stand that elements of the game had been ever so slightly slowed down and tweaked. Also lag issues, which Gears 1 did have as well.

Gears Of War 2 is a superior game and anybody who says different is clearly just a bitter online multiplayer fan, nothing more.

#27 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@contracts420 said:

Gears Of War 2 is a superior game and anybody who says different is clearly just a bitter online multiplayer fan, nothing more.

You are incorrect. I explained my reasoning for my preference of Gears of War 1 rather than 2 before you posted in this thread. Had you read that, you might not be in the position you are now.

#28 Posted by Basinboy (13063 posts) -

@contracts420: Gears 2 is only surpassed by Judgment in suck factor. But believe what you will, you've already made up your mind seemingly. And even if it's the best game in its series, UC2 is still better.

#29 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@contracts420 said:

You are incorrect. I explained my reasoning for my preference of Gears of War 1 rather than 2 before you posted in this thread. Had you read that, you might not be in the position you are now.

All you stated was that you preferred Gears 1 over 2 simply because you found movement speed to be slightly faster. I'd hardly consider that a sound reason to objectively call it the better title. If you prefer it, sure... but is it actually better? No, no it is not.

Does the slight difference in movement speed negate everything which is better about Gears Of War 2? Absolutely not. If you believe your post somehow discredits mine than you are sorely mistaken.

Horde mode, better pacing, sound design, co-op, Meat Shield, new weapons, enemies, improved visuals, story and so on. Gears Of War 2 is the better overall package. It is better in almost every conceivable way.

#30 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

@contracts420: Gears 2 is only surpassed by Judgment in suck factor. But believe what you will, you've already made up your mind seemingly. And even if it's the best game in its series, UC2 is still better.

I agree on your point about UC2 being better. But then again I am probably the biggest Uncharted fanboy on these forums.

#31 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@contracts420: You are implying that my preference in game speed is an inadequate reason for considering the original Gears of War superior to Gears of War 2, but that is my opinion and I am entitled to this. Ignoring it does not make mine any less legitimate.

Please so not say disingenuous things about me like you did earlier again because regardless of any legitimate points you have about the video games we are talking about in this thread, you are being argumentative. I will not be able to continue speaking with you unless you comply.