Which Game do you consider the Best FPS of the 90s?

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#51 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

goldeneye

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

I may be cheating here, but: System Shock 2

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts
007 is better than todays FPSs.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
007 is better than todays FPSs.PSP107
Are you saying you would play Goldeneye over any FPS that has come since? I find that hard to believe, there's been so many great advances and great games since the 64 days.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ohthemanatee
[QUOTE="PSP107"]007 is better than todays FPSs.Second_Rook
Are you saying you would play Goldeneye over any FPS that has come since? I find that hard to believe, there's been so many great advances and great games since the 64 days.

also, goldeneye has aged really poorly
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"][QUOTE="PSP107"]007 is better than todays FPSs.ohthemanatee

Exactly, the people who claim Goldeneye is the best FPS out there have clearly not played many FPS. Even at the time compared to the FPS games on the PC, it was nothing. Halo had more of an impact on Console FPS as well than Goldeneye did.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#58 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"][QUOTE="Second_Rook"] Are you saying you would play Goldeneye over any FPS that has come since? I find that hard to believe, there's been so many great advances and great games since the 64 days. TheTrueMagusX1

Exactly, the people who claim Goldeneye is the best FPS out there have clearly not played many FPS. Even at the time compared to the FPS games on the PC, it was nothing. Halo had more of an impact on Console FPS as well than Goldeneye did.

I like Goldeneye, but I personally prefer , Doom , Quake and even Duke3D. its weird , but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark give me motion sickness when I play them for too long, the same goes for Half Life, not sure why.
BrokenThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BrokenThunder
Member since 2010 • 85 Posts
[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="Beard_"]

The lack of Unreal Tournament prevents me from voting.

MichaelToreno

UT wasn't even as good as Doom or Half Life, much less the best FPS of the 90s.

Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too. Most legendary =/= personal favorite. My vote would go for System Shock 2, if it were on there.

Threads like these are doomed to be full of personal favorites, so don't even start. Goldeneye 007.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"][QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

UT wasn't even as good as Doom or Half Life, much less the best FPS of the 90s.

BrokenThunder

Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too. Most legendary =/= personal favorite. My vote would go for System Shock 2, if it were on there.

Threads like these are doomed to be full of personal favorites, so don't even start. Goldeneye 007.

You simply stated what he said. Why are you lecturing him? Considering that Michael and I are regulars of this board, and you are not I suggest you donot start.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"] also, goldeneye has aged really poorlyDarkman2007

I like Goldeneye, but I personally prefer , Doom , Quake and even Duke3D. its weird , but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark give me motion sickness when I play them for too long, the same goes for Half Life, not sure why.

Yeah I see what you mean. To be honest I do think Perfect Dark aged well, and playing it either on a N64 or Xbox 360 is still fun. I have the same motion sickness problem with games, but when I play games I know in the past have made me sick, there is a medicine called Dramomine...it helps out. I donot know if that is out over there in the UK, but if you have that or somethng, that will help you play those specific games....

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yeah I see what you mean. To be honest I do think Perfect Dark aged well, and playing it either on a N64 or Xbox 360 is still fun. I have the same motion sickness problem with games, but when I play games I know in the past have made me sick, there is a medicine called Dramomine...it helps out. I donot know if that is out over there in the UK, but if you have that or somethng, that will help you play those specific games....

Ive never heard of that medicine, but I did try taking some medicine for motion sickness for it, doesnt seem to do much sadly. Im not sure why it happens with only some FPS games, maybe it was something to do with the way the camera moves, Wolfenstien 3D does the same thing
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I like Goldeneye, but I personally prefer , Doom , Quake and even Duke3D. its weird , but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark give me motion sickness when I play them for too long, the same goes for Half Life, not sure why.Darkman2007

Ive never heard of that medicine, but I did try taking some medicine for motion sickness for it, doesnt seem to do much sadly. Im not sure why it happens with only some FPS games, maybe it was something to do with the way the camera moves, Wolfenstien 3D does the same thing

I have the same problem as well, one cause though could be that some FPS have faster framerates than other. One infamous port that did this to people was a port of Marathon 2 that was released to the Xbox 360 in 2007. The games Framerate was increased from 30 to 60 and there were numerous complaints from people, enough to warrant reports on gaming websites that the game was unplayable due to them quitting ill from the motion of the game.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

I have the same problem as well, one cause though could be that some FPS have faster framerates than other. One infamous port that did this to people was a port of Marathon 2 that was released to the Xbox 360 in 2007. The games Framerate was increased from 30 to 60 and there were numerous complaints from people, enough to warrant reports on gaming websites that the game was unplayable due to them quitting ill from the motion of the game.

the thing is, Perfect Dark isnt a fast game, and yet it does that. could be alot of things though. Wolf3D did that with the PS3 port, but I can remember playing it back when it was quite new, on a PC from 1990 or so , and I never got any motion sickness from it.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Ive never heard of that medicine, but I did try taking some medicine for motion sickness for it, doesnt seem to do much sadly. Im not sure why it happens with only some FPS games, maybe it was something to do with the way the camera moves, Wolfenstien 3D does the same thingDarkman2007

the thing is, Perfect Dark isnt a fast game, and yet it does that. could be alot of things though. Wolf3D did that with the PS3 port, but I can remember playing it back when it was quite new, on a PC from 1990 or so , and I never got any motion sickness from it.

that is strange. Did you play Perfect Dark on the 360? Did it make you sick on the 360?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

that is strange. Did you play Perfect Dark on the 360? Did it make you sick on the 360?

sadly Ive never played the 360 one , I don't own a 360 , only a PS3, as such , I was stuck with resistence 2 , which I sold to buy Uncharted 2 :P
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] the thing is, Perfect Dark isnt a fast game, and yet it does that. could be alot of things though. Wolf3D did that with the PS3 port, but I can remember playing it back when it was quite new, on a PC from 1990 or so , and I never got any motion sickness from it.Darkman2007

sadly Ive never played the 360 one , I don't own a 360 , only a PS3, as such , I was stuck with resistence 2 , which I sold to buy Uncharted 2 :P

Well I like Resistance 2, but I agree that Uncharted 2 is the better of the two. None the less, I love my PS3 for its ever growing library of PSONE games so that works for me.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

Well I like Resistance 2, but I agree that Uncharted 2 is the better of the two. None the less, I love my PS3 for its ever growing library of PSONE games so that works for me.

we get some different games on PSN, but I actually find that sometimes old PS1 games don't look all that good upscaled, the games were never meant to be played via an HDMI cable, the PS3 does use that smoothing feature , but its not even that noticably in most games. the audio quality is better then on a PS1 though. I still mostly play my PS1 games on my PS1 or PS2. I would actually rank Valkyria Chronicles as the best PS3 game (alongside maybe MGS4), but thats off topic on this board, so I guess I won't go into it.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"][QUOTE="Second_Rook"] Are you saying you would play Goldeneye over any FPS that has come since? I find that hard to believe, there's been so many great advances and great games since the 64 days. TheTrueMagusX1

Even at the time compared to the FPS games on the PC, it was nothing.

Eh? Goldeneye served as inspirations for many PC shooters to follow, including Half-Life and it certainly wasn't "nothing" compared to PC FPS games at the time.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"] also, goldeneye has aged really poorlynameless12345

Eh? Goldeneye served as inspirations for many PC shooters to follow, including Half-Life and it certainly wasn't "nothing" compared to PC FPS games at the time.

LOL really? It inspired Half life. Again Nameless you never cease to amaze me with your lack of knowledge. Let me give you quick history lesson, Half Life was in Development almost two years before Golden Eye was release. As you probably donot know either, is that Goldeneye started as a rail gun shooter, which is a game ala virtua cop on the Super Nintendo. Now as for Half Life Considering that Valve opened in 1996, and the first footage of Half Life premiered in early 1997. Golden Eye had no influence on Half Life, and your poor excuse of a fact has no grounds on other than your obvious bias towards the N64. Admit you really donot know much about gaming as you think you do.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Darkman2007

as far as I know, Goldeneye was indeed originally a SNES project that would have used the SuperFX chip , and would have been a rail shooter.

its probably a very good idea they waited and made it on the N64 instead.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While I'm a Fan. This game it is essentially the father of Deathmatch that now is not only in nearly every First person shooter game out there but also the core foundation for games such as Unreal Tournament. It was also the game that increased the popularity of the First Person genre and while not the Granfather of First Person shooters, Since that is very much reserved for Wolfenstein 3D and hold about equal as much credit as the game I'm talking about, It is regarded as the father of the First person shooter genre. I'm talking about non other then the game. Doom. While many First person shooter games have evolved since Doom both in gameplay, story and looks. They all hold the core foundation that Wolfenstein 3D layed out, and Doom strenghtened aswell as as bringing the FPS out there to games. Thus it is considered the best as every FPS game made has a little bit of Doom/Wolfenstein 3D in it.
arenamaster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#73 arenamaster89
Member since 2009 • 213 Posts

You forgot about Wolfenstein 3D. :P

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#74 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

TheTrueMagusX1

If you have to take medicine to play a game, then it's proabably not worth playing.

AngelBeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 AngelBeeps
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts
Goldeneye of course!
MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MichaelToreno
Member since 2010 • 176 Posts
I get motion sickness from most old FPS's. Not sure why, maybe it's the fast pacing of them?

[QUOTE="BrokenThunder"][QUOTE="MichaelToreno"] Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too. Most legendary =/= personal favorite. My vote would go for System Shock 2, if it were on there.TheTrueMagusX1

You simply stated what he said. Why are you lecturing him? Considering that Michael and I are regulars of this board, and you are not I suggest you donot start.

Thanks for defending me TrueMagus, I'm not going to respond because you already pointed out the fact that he is agreeing with me. Weird.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

LOL really? It inspired Half life. Again Nameless you never cease to amaze me with your lack of knowledge. Let me give you quick history lesson, Half Life was in Development almost two years before Golden Eye was release. As you probably donot know either, is that Goldeneye started as a rail gun shooter, which is a game ala virtua cop on the Super Nintendo. Now as for Half Life Considering that Valve opened in 1996, and the first footage of Half Life premiered in early 1997. Golden Eye had no influence on Half Life, and your poor excuse of a fact has no grounds on other than your obvious bias towards the N64. Admit you really donot know much about gaming as you think you do.

Still you can't deny the influence Goldeneye had on FPS games to follow. The PC didn't have a game like Goldeneye in 1997 and Half-Life came out a year later.

Actually Gabe Newell mentions even Mario 64 as inspiration for Half-Life in some old PC Gamer interview.

And when, do you think, was Goldeneye in it's FPS form fist shown?

In 1996, that's when. A year before Half-Life.

Even on Wikipedia it says that it was one of the most influential FPS games.

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 320

#78 snes_vs_ps1
Member since 2009 • 10359 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Still you can't deny the influence Goldeneye had on FPS games to follow. The PC didn't have a game like Goldeneye in 1997 and Half-Life came out a year later.

Actually Gabe Newell mentions even Mario 64 as inspiration for Half-Life in some old PC Gamer interview.

The PC had a game like Goldeneye 007 in 1997, its name was MDK...it was a TPS which introduced the sniper-scope in gaming & it even had Zoom In/Zoom Out features which Goldeneye 007 lacked & it was also graphically superior.MDK was released 3 months before Goldeneye...

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 snes_vs_ps1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Oh, yes...also, before Super Mario 64, it was Jumping Flash on the PS1, which is a combination between SM64 & Metroid Prime. & of course, before Zelda-OoT it was Tomb Raider on the PS1.At their core, they are both adventure games & TR is the equivalent of Indiana Jones-Raiders of the Lost Ark which is of course the Greatest Adventure Movie ever made.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

snes_vs_ps1

Oh, yes...also, before Super Mario 64, it was Jumping Flash on the PS1, which is a combination between SM64 & Metroid Prime. & of course, before Zelda-OoT it was Tomb Raider on the PS1.At their core, they are both adventure games & TR is the equivalent of Indiana Jones-Raiders of the Lost Ark which is of course the Greatest Adventure Movie ever made.

Zelda and Tomb Raider are not the same, at least the Tomb Raider games and Zelda games ive played are nothing alike.

oh and Tomb Raider actually came out on the Saturn first, before the PS1 :P

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

snes_vs_ps1

The PC had a game like Goldeneye 007 in 1997, its name was MDK...it was a TPS which introduced the sniper-scope in gaming & it even had Zoom In/Zoom Out features which Goldeneye 007 lacked & it was also graphically superior.MDK was released 3 months before Goldeneye...

I wouldn't compare MDK to Goldeneye. MDK was a third-person arcade shooter whereas Goldeneye was one of the first "realistic" FPS games.

N64's answer to MDK would be Jet Force Gemini.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

snes_vs_ps1

Jumping Flash was interesting but nothing I would call groundbreaking. Mario 64 basically redefined the platformer genre and many platformers that came out later copied it.

Ocarina of Time and Tomb Raider are nothing alike either.

Besides, N64 got Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine later in it's lifetime.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Second_Rook

Jumping Flash was interesting but nothing I would call groundbreaking. Mario 64 basically redefined the platformer genre and many platformers that came out later copied it.

nameless12345

Not to be a total wet blanket but Jumping Flash did predate Mario 64. I'm not saying it was more influential on subsequent platformers, but the way that you worded that statement takes away from Jumping Flash and gives to Mario.

Also worthy of note is that in making Jumping Flash the developer actually updated the gameplay from a game of their own called Geograph Seal that predates Mario 64 by over 2 years. Again I am not calling these games better or more widely influential, but far too often people refuse to give credit where credit is due, as Ultra Co did create new and unique experiences and any time that a studio pulls that off it is groundbreaking whether acknowledged by the public at large or not.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]Jumping Flash was interesting but nothing I would call groundbreaking. Mario 64 basically redefined the platformer genre and many platformers that came out later copied it.

Second_Rook

Not to be a total wet blanket but Jumping Flash did predate Mario 64. I'm not saying it was more influential on subsequent platformers, but the way that you worded that statement takes away from Jumping Flash and gives to Mario.

Also worthy of note is that in making Jumping Flash the developer actually updated the gameplay from a game of their own called Geograph Seal that predates Mario 64 by over 2 years. Again I am not calling these games better or more widely influential, but far too often people refuse to give credit where credit is due, as Ultra Co did create new and unique experiences and any time that a studio pulls that off it is groundbreaking whether acknowledged by the public at large or not.

Sure, but why not give some credit to the first 3D platformer then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_a6qMeWP8

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Dude the only impact that Goldeneye had was that it proved that FPS could be done well on consoles. Many of the other elements in Goldeneye were already staples of the genre.

Granted Goldeneye was a good game when it came out and can still be enjoyable to this day but you hold it it way too high of regard.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

AcidSoldner

Dude the only impact that Goldeneye had was that it proved that FPS could be done well on consoles. Many of the other elements in Goldeneye were already staples of the genre.

Like what? Realistic guns? Open environments? Driving a tank?

Goldeneye did more than just prove that FPS could be done well on the consoles too.

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 snes_vs_ps1

[QUOTE="snes_vs_ps1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

OoT & Tomb Raider are nothing alike? Both games are exploration.Both games are adventure.In both games you push blocks, in both games you grab onto ledges, in both games you jump from a platform to another.Both games have a rotating, ring menu.Both have a similar targeting system.Link makes annoying grunts just like Lara.In OoT you collect 3 crystals & you put them in a temple.In Tomb Raider you collect 3 pieces of an artifact& unite them so wth?They are very similar.Ocarina of Time was heavily inspired after Tomb Raider, let's face it.Oh, & the most important of all-both games have blocky graphics:P

Goldeneye wasn't so original, it was a Movie licensed game so it's not so interesting, lacks creativity, originality....& about the realism thing.Realism is the nr#1 "Public enemy" of Gaming, realism is what kills gaming.

Super Mario 64+Metroid Prime=Jumping Flash, but on a minor scale.For example,fight the first boss, the Red Dragon with the Sound turned of while listening the Meta Ridley Theme...Jumping Flash was the first 3d platformer in which kids had a character to rely on.

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 snes_vs_ps1

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Goldeneye did more than just prove that FPS could be done well on the consoles too.

In Contra III you also drive a tank...& as we all know, Contra III is a 2D TPS, Goldeneye 3D FPS :P

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Please elaborate as none of your previous posts have proved otherwise.

MaskJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#90 MaskJackal
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts
Half-Life would be the most obvious choice, if we took into account what it did for the FPS genre, but on its own merits, Duke Nukem 3D. The pure rush of adrenaline that 3DR managed to inject into this gem was insane.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Second_Rook

Sure, but why not give some credit to the first 3D platformer then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_a6qMeWP8

nameless12345

Well that looked more like a tech demo to me. I hope it was shareware and not retail. It was kind of cool that it was created by Infogrames who did make the first survival horror game Alone in the Dark.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts
Its hard to say. In the 10 years of the 90s there was huge improvements in games. Its really had to compare doom to half life or golden eye which came out in the later part of the 90s.AutoPilotOn
Is there supposed to be more then 10 years? lol Did I miss something? Sorry its just the way you said it I have to poke fun.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Goldeneye 007 was my favorite in the 90's. I won't say it was the best but it was definitely awesome.

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#94 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

I'd say Doom. That was a lot of fun! I don't know why, but I still find it cool to play today. I also like the game everyone hates; Kileak the Blood hehe

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]Jumping Flash was interesting but nothing I would call groundbreaking. Mario 64 basically redefined the platformer genre and many platformers that came out later copied it.

Second_Rook

Yep exactly, he did deride me in another thread for mentioning Jumping Flash. Also again Golden Eye only made FPS on Consoles more popular, but than again to be honest he holds it in far high regard. I think there are better FPS games on the N64 and on other consoles better than Goldeneye.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yep exactly, he did deride me in another thread for mentioning Jumping Flash. Also again Golden Eye only made FPS on Consoles more popular, but than again to be honest he holds it in far high regard. I think there are better FPS games on the N64 and on other consoles better than Goldeneye.

maybe Goldeneye was the best FPS on the N64 at the time of release and people remember that. games do seem to have an impact like that, where their sequels are not as famous even if they might be better.
jouluturkki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#97 jouluturkki
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts

Half-Life must have been the most ground-breaking, but GoldenEye was my personal favourite.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Not that I'm agreeing or dissagreeing with anyone who has already posted, but lets give Goldeneye a little credit.Correct me if I'm wrong, butwasn't itthe first game to introduce the zoom , the one-shot-one-kill headshot, and context sensitive hit locations? At least the combination of zoom and the use of stealth in the game pioneered gameplay tactics used in modern shooters.

Anyway I said before that I like the game. May not be the best, but it was pretty darn good when it came out. It had me yelling BOOM headshot long before CS came out.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ohthemanatee
anyone who doesn't say system shock 2 is wrong :P
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="snes_vs_ps1"] Oh, yes...also, before Super Mario 64, it was Jumping Flash on the PS1, which is a combination between SM64 & Metroid Prime. & of course, before Zelda-OoT it was Tomb Raider on the PS1.At their core, they are both adventure games & TR is the equivalent of Indiana Jones-Raiders of the Lost Ark which is of course the Greatest Adventure Movie ever made.

snes_vs_ps1

Goldeneye wasn't so original, it was a Movie licensed game so it's not so interesting, lacks creativity, originality....& about the realism thing.Realism is the nr#1 "Public enemy" of Gaming, realism is what kills gaming.

Super Mario 64+Metroid Prime=Jumping Flash, but on a minor scale.For example,fight the first boss, the Red Dragon with the Sound turned of while listening the Meta Ridley Theme...Jumping Flash was the first 3d platformer in which kids had a character to rely on.

What? Few PC shooters could compare to Goldeneye's level design and variation at the time. Jedi Knight comes to mind and Half-Life was arguably the better game but it also came out a year later.

And no, realism does not kill gaming. I play many realistic games and enjoy them. Infact it was Goldeneye that helped turn the shift from unrealistic, futuristic arcade shooters like Quake and Unreal to more realistic shooters that are very popular today.

I also wouldn't compare Jumping Flash to those two games. It was a cute platformer but something only the biggest PS1 fans could praise so much.

I mean you had better platformers even on the PS1.