Which Game do you consider the Best FPS of the 90s?

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 320

User Lists: 0

#1 snes_vs_ps1
Member since 2009 • 10359 Posts

IMO Half-Life

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Multiplayer: Unreal Tournament 1999. Singleplayer: System Shock 2. (Both of which are NOT on your poll, coincidentally enough.)
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Its hard to say. In the 10 years of the 90s there was huge improvements in games. Its really had to compare doom to half life or golden eye which came out in the later part of the 90s.
Son1x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Son1x
Member since 2006 • 95 Posts

Either Half Life or Unreal Tournament. The latter deserves to be voteable.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#5 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
quake of course. Quake started the slippery slope of FPS glory. I'm not saying it was the first or any of that kind, just that it shot the popularity of multiplayer to new hieghts, before unforseen. Clans formed, ye slowest of internet connections, etc. And now we have COD. I loved Quake, even though Half-Life and Counterstrike perfected it, I have to give it to Quake for starting this mess.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Consoles: Medal Of Honor

PC: Half- Life

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Doom gets my vote.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Half Life has a special place in my gamer heart, in terms of revolution and just flat out awesome story. Sorry Goldeneye and Doom :oops:
PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
Half-Life IMO. If not that than Doom.
THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Doom, easily.

Consoles: Medal Of Honor

JuarN18

Goldeneye 007 was far more legendary than Medal of Honor. Both were great games, but without a doubt Goldeneye is more of a classic.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Goldeneye 007, Ultima Underworld
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

Half Life, its still a blast to play.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Doom for me.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Goldeneye. You could snipe people from long distances, which is why I play FPS.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Half-Life. Only one of those I still really enjoy.

Avatar image for bleedvideogames
bleedvideogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bleedvideogames
Member since 2010 • 742 Posts

Doom II

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

The lack of Unreal Tournament prevents me from voting.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Beard_

UT wasn't even as good as Doom or Half Life, much less the best FPS of the 90s.

MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MichaelToreno
Member since 2010 • 176 Posts

[QUOTE="Beard_"]

THA-TODD-BEAST

Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too. Most legendary =/= personal favorite. My vote would go for System Shock 2, if it were on there.
DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Doom 1 get's my vote, but that's most based on nostalgia

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="Beard_"]

MichaelToreno

Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too.

Goldeneye did recieve more praise than Medal of Honor, though. Medal of Honor gained more praise with Allied Assault for the PC.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"][QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

nameless12345

Goldeneye did recieve more praise than Medal of Honor, though. Medal of Honor gained more praise with Allied Assault for the PC.

Wow more flawed logic from you. Final Fantasy XIII got more praise than Tales of vesperia, oh wait, I remember liking Tales of Vesperia better than that. Its subjective, something agian that Nameless on many many occasions seems to forget. Who cares what Metacritic says, if they say a game got rave reviews, but I donot like it, those reviews donot matter. I did not like the game!

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"] Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too.TheTrueMagusX1

Wow more flawed logic from you. Final Fantasy XIII got more praise than Tales of vesperia, oh wait, I remember liking Tales of Vesperia better than that. Its subjective, something agian that Nameless on many many occasions seems to forget. Who cares what Metacritic says, if they say a game got rave reviews, but I donot like it, those reviews donot matter. I did not like the game!

I didn't measure the game's quality, I simply said that Goldeneye did a bigger impact on the FPS genre than Medal of Honor on the PS1 did.

Stop turning my posts on the head.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Duke Nukem
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I didn't measure the game's quality, I simply said that Goldeneye did a bigger impact on the FPS genre than Medal of Honor on the PS1 did.

I never turned your posts on your head. You were talking about REVIEWs not Impact, those are two different things. See again, you do it again, admit you said the wrong thing and donot back track to say something completely different than what you said. You continously contradict yourself, you were talking about reviews not impact. Sure Goldeneye had an impact, but that was never brought up untl your post was rebuttaled by me.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

I never turned your posts on your head. You were talking about REVIEWs not Impact, those are two different things. See again, you do it again, admit you said the wrong thing and donot back track to say something completely different than what you said. You continously contradict yourself, you were talking about reviews not impact. Sure Goldeneye had an impact, but that was never brought up untl your post was rebuttaled by me.

I may not say exactly that but I implyed so. Sometimes I write "between the lines".

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
That's a great bunch of games. They all did their part to make the genre what it is today. In the end however everything we have goes back to Doom and from that list it's the only one I still like to play. Half-Life is still playable but I would sooner play Half-Life 2 and the subsequent episodes.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I may not say exactly that but I implyed so. Sometimes I write "between the lines".

No you donot write "Between the Lines". Own up to what you say and actually back it up, instead of trying to back up and say something you really did not. You said what you said, you never wrote anything between the lines. You were talking about Reviews not impact,....your backtracking. You were never once trying to be clever and have a subliminal message. Simple as that.

MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MichaelToreno

nameless12345

And that is relevant how? TODD-BEAST said it "wasn't as good as", he didn't say "hasn't had as much influence as" or "is more highly regarded overall". He just said better, which is still an opinion.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Half Life because it's exceptionally well done. And because the other 4 on your poll made me nauseous when I was younger.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Half-Life for sure. I have just about every damn version/port of that game including the unrealeased Dreamcast port.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Sorry for double post but I just had to add to this. Medal of Honor actually had far more of an impact on the FPS genre than Goldeneye did. Sure Goldeneye was an excellent game but all it did was prove that FPS could be done well with a controller. Halo had more of an impact as far as that subject goes Medal of Honor on the other hand spawned the WWII shooter craze that didn't quite die off until about half-way through this console generation.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#33 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't know if this counts cus technically it's not a shooter, but... Theif: The Dark Project. The deisgn was way ahead of its time and is still fun to play.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Even though it wasn't the best First Person shooter. I would have to go with Doom for making the FPS Genre widely popular. I would choose Half life or Quake (tie) for my personal favorite FPS of the 1990's.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I cant decide between half life and quake/quake2. I cant tell you how many hours I spent playing those games and their awesome FREEEEE mods and maps. I miss those days. Now the nickle and dime you for every addon and map.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

No you donot write "Between the Lines". Own up to what you say and actually back it up, instead of trying to back up and say something you really did not. You said what you said, you never wrote anything between the lines. You were talking about Reviews not impact,....your backtracking. You were never once trying to be clever and have a subliminal message. Simple as that.

More praised? Check.

Bigger impact? Check.

Better game? Also check, despite subjective tastes.

You don't agree - fine with me.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

More praised? Check.

Bigger impact? Check.

You never said any of that? Check

See it has nothing to do with opinion, or disagreeing its about saying incorrect facts...facts and opinions are different things, I suggest you learn the difference. You never said anything about impact till I rebuttaled you, you were talking about reviews. Everyone else has seemingly proved you wrong on your information. Give it up, your wrong, simple as that.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"] No you donot write "Between the Lines". Own up to what you say and actually back it up, instead of trying to back up and say something you really did not. You said what you said, you never wrote anything between the lines. You were talking about Reviews not impact,....your backtracking. You were never once trying to be clever and have a subliminal message. Simple as that.

TheTrueMagusX1

More praised? Check.

Bigger impact? Check.

See it has nothing to do with opinion, or disagreeing its about saying incorrect facts...facts and opinions are different things, I suggest you learn the difference. You never said anything about impact till I rebuttaled you, you were talking about reviews. Everyone else has seemingly proved you wrong on your information. Give it up, your wrong, simple as that.

This still doesn't change the fact that GoldenEye is the game with the bigger impact, better review scores, bigger following (or praise, whatever) and is generally considered the better game :P

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

More praised? Check.

Bigger impact? Check.

nameless12345

This still doesn't change the fact that GoldenEye is the game with the bigger impact, better review scores, bigger following (or praise, whatever) and is generally considered the better game :P

However you never said anything like that in the aforementioned post. You addressed only the reviews, nothing else. So again more failed logic from you.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

However you never said anything like that in the aforementioned post. You addressed only the reviews, nothing else. So again more failed logic from you.

I never actually wrote reviews, so you're now doing what you're accusing me of - making up things I didn't write :P

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheTrueMagusX1

nameless12345

So is this making things up about you. Really? Praise equals good reviews...hence where praise comes from. So last I checked, this sure does not look like any lies being spread by me does it now. Hmmmm?

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"] Your opinions aren't facts. That goes for your Medal of Honor comment too.TheTrueMagusX1

So is this making things up about you. Really? Praise equals good reviews...hence where praise comes from. So last I checked, this sure does not look like any lies being spread by me does it now. Hmmmm?

Anyway, this is now a totaly irelevant off-topic.

My points are valid and that's the point.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

No its not irelevant. You dismiss evidence as it does not matter, thus again proving your poor Debate skills. Also, you denied you talked about reviews, but I have clrealy proved that you had. Your points are not valid, and again you have failed to prove your arguments.

MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MichaelToreno

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Really? Did you intentionally ignore my post because you couldn't address it logically? You just wanted another excuse to exclaim how awesome the N64 is.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

MichaelToreno

Really? Did you intentionally ignore my post because you couldn't address it logically? You just wanted another excuse to exclaim how awesome the N64 is.

That is exactly my problem with Nameless. Now mind you did not agree with me earlier, however Nameless carries on arguments, he contradicts himself, lacks gaming knoknowledge and does not own up to his mistake. In the last thread Darkman and I decided to quit debating, and we clearly stated we were done with the debating, however Nameless has to be right so he comes in and carries on the debate. Also let us not forget that he says he does not like debating on many occasions but happens to either jump into them or start them. Simple as that...

MichaelToreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MichaelToreno

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

TheTrueMagusX1

That is exactly my problem with Nameless. Now mind you did not agree with me earlier, however Nameless carries on arguments, he contradicts himself, lacks gaming knoknowledge and does not own up to his mistake. In the last thread Darkman and I decided to quit debating, and we clearly stated we were done with the debating, however Nameless has to be right so he comes in and carries on the debate. Also let us not forget that he says he does not like debating on many occasions but happens to either jump into them or start them. Simple as that...

I didn't disagree with your stance, I feel you on what you've been saying. I was referring more specifically to the certain sentences I pointed out. Other than that, I normally agree with you.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="MichaelToreno"] Really? Did you intentionally ignore my post because you couldn't address it logically? You just wanted another excuse to exclaim how awesome the N64 is.MichaelToreno

I didn't disagree with your stance, I feel you on what you've been saying. I was referring more specifically to the certain sentences I pointed out. Other than that, I normally agree with you.

Fair enough, well I am done with that thread as it was getting out of hand, but I am sure you agree with everything I have said in the last statement concerning Nameless though?

CptJuancho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 CptJuancho
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts
doom
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#49 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Oh man this is so tough doom and quake are pivotal to my gaming life. Overall, I would have to say doom. I think another fps (sorta) worth mentioning is heretic.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

MichaelToreno

You just wanted another excuse to exclaim how awesome the N64 is.

No, not really.

And yes, I choose to ignore what I consider senseless replys.