Which do you think is better out of Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario for N64?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

I actually haven't played either (tho I did purchase both games on the Wii's Virtual Console and I have played Super Paper Mario for the Wii), but I was just wondering which game you think is better and why.

#2 Posted by Suikojin (333 posts) -

Both are great but Super Mario RPG is better to me. Has better characters and story in my opinion. Shows how Square us to make great games back in the day.

#3 Posted by Exceed20XX (807 posts) -

I was a bigger fan of SMRPG over the original PM back then, if I dug up the cart to replay it I wonder if that would change though.

#4 Posted by Jessey-Stone (375 posts) -

super mario rpg feels like a more complete rpg experience paper mario feels like a gimick rpg don get me wrong i love both games but seeing it from the eyes of an rpg fan i would pick super mario rpg feels more like a true rpg

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#5 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9100 posts) -
I like both games about the same, they both have things that I like better or worse than the other. Super Mario RPG + More interesting party members + More memorable music + Better secrets and side stuff to do Paper Mario + More challenging + Better customization + Longer story
#6 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

for me SM RPG

#7 Posted by bowserjr123 (2465 posts) -

I'll go with Paper Mario, one of my favorite games of all time.  The gameplay felt more unique than SMRPG to me (SMRPG felt more like Final Fantasy being developed by Square and all) and I liked the buddy system better as well.  It seemed like there were more sidequests and items to collect as well as more customization with your characters.  I also thought the game was more challenging and I liked the leveling up system a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#8 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

Paper Mario stomps on it.  STOMPS.

SM RPG was a great game that paved the way for Paper Mario though.  Paper Mario VASTLY improved on anything and everything and felt like a Mario game, where as RPG was Super Nintendo era Final Fantasy with a Mario skin.

The real question is what's better out of the first PM and TTYD, both are incredible but very different.

#9 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

As good as Mario RPG is, Paper Mario 64 and TTYD are better.

Avatar image for Change_MyShorts
#10 Posted by Change_MyShorts (77 posts) -

Paper Mario stomps on it. STOMPS.

SM RPG was a great game that paved the way for Paper Mario though. Paper Mario VASTLY improved on anything and everything and felt like a Mario game, where as RPG was Super Nintendo era Final Fantasy with a Mario skin.

The real question is what's better out of the first PM and TTYD, both are incredible but very different.

Chozofication

That sums up my opinion.

To answer the PM vs TTYD question... I again go with PM.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#11 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Paper Mario stomps on it. STOMPS.

SM RPG was a great game that paved the way for Paper Mario though. Paper Mario VASTLY improved on anything and everything and felt like a Mario game, where as RPG was Super Nintendo era Final Fantasy with a Mario skin.

Change_MyShorts

That sums up my opinion.

To answer the PM vs TTYD question... I again go with PM.

The OG Paper Mario is definitely my favorite.  It has a lot more charm where TTYD has a blockbuster feel.  But I really don't think either is better than the other and if one is, it's marginal.

TTYD has a lot more gameplay depth, though.

Avatar image for Change_MyShorts
#12 Posted by Change_MyShorts (77 posts) -

Agreed. The scope and deeper story was the major improvement with TTYD.

#13 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5211 posts) -

Super Mario RPG, but they're pretty close in terms of good they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#14 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
Mario RPG in every conceivable way.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#15 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18695 posts) -

I love Paper Mario to death and I still need to beat SMRPG. (I've started it onvirtual console.) I can't say at this point in time. SMRPG is good so far, though.

#16 Posted by MLBknights58 (5016 posts) -

Hmm...

In terms of story, both are lighthearted and charming, and an absolute joy to experience whether it's your first or tenth time playing through the game.  Each game is brimming with fun locations to visit, filled with funny and charming (charming is a word that I'll use a lot) characters to talk to, and the dialogue is top notch; I'd find it rather hard to believe if the game didn't have you smiling or chuckling at it throughout the entire experience.  Both games are top notch in this regard.

In terms of gameplay, Mario RPG allows for 3 characters, but Mario must always be present.  Along with the standard Bowser and Peach, Mallow and Geno make their debut and they each bring something unique to the table, and are genuinely fun characters to have along in your party.  Each of the SNES buttons is mapped to Attack, Skill, Item and.. Retreat or defend I can't remember, so there is a considerably wider array of skills and combinations to use for a party than Paper Mario.  Timed attacks/defense also keep you invested into the battles, as a well timed button press will result in increased attack damage, or help reduce damage taken.  Nothing in this game is complex, but the game does just enough to keep the action fluid and fun, and the special moves are a joy to see and use, as well as the various party combinations that you can make use of to take advantage of who you like or how you play the game.

Paper Mario allows for only 1 partner to be used in battle, and given the fact that abilities are limited through use of badges, the abilities you bring into battle are limited by your BP (badge points) adding a minor element of strategy, although due to the game's overly simplistic nature much like its predecessor, along with a relatively easy difficulty, it won't really make that much of a difference what badges you bring into play.  The game once again makes use of the timed attack feature present in MRPG.  While Mario lacks the use of new skills via level up, he gains a new star power with each chapter, which are fun to see and use, although some are rather trivial, and are genuinely useless when compared to others.  The partners in this game are awesome, each serving a unique function in the overworld while having some unique traits in combat as well.  Pretty much the same as MRPG minus the overworld functions, but you have the ability to freely switch between companions during battle.  Each game is pretty simple and pretty easy.  But each game keeps the action moving at a fluid pace, introducing new elements that add upon the already fun combat system and manages to keep these simple encounters incredibly fun.

Considering all the above factors, my vote goes to Paper Mario.  To me it contained more interesting locales and denizens to talk to, which made up for the like of combat variety present in SMRPG.  But given the fact that these games are both easy and simple by design, and since there really is no depth to its combat, I place heavier emphasis on the story and the locations it takes me and people I meet, which ultimately leads me to pick Paper Mario.

Edit: Sorry for the unnecessarily long post.

#17 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

Hmm...

In terms of story, both are lighthearted and charming, and an absolute joy to experience whether it's your first or tenth time playing through the game.  Each game is brimming with fun locations to visit, filled with funny and charming (charming is a word that I'll use a lot) characters to talk to, and the dialogue is top notch; I'd find it rather hard to believe if the game didn't have you smiling or chuckling at it throughout the entire experience.  Both games are top notch in this regard.

In terms of gameplay, Mario RPG allows for 3 characters, but Mario must always be present.  Along with the standard Bowser and Peach, Mallow and Geno make their debut and they each bring something unique to the table, and are genuinely fun characters to have along in your party.  Each of the SNES buttons is mapped to Attack, Skill, Item and.. Retreat or defend I can't remember, so there is a considerably wider array of skills and combinations to use for a party than Paper Mario.  Timed attacks/defense also keep you invested into the battles, as a well timed button press will result in increased attack damage, or help reduce damage taken.  Nothing in this game is complex, but the game does just enough to keep the action fluid and fun, and the special moves are a joy to see and use, as well as the various party combinations that you can make use of to take advantage of who you like or how you play the game.

Paper Mario allows for only 1 partner to be used in battle, and given the fact that abilities are limited through use of badges, the abilities you bring into battle are limited by your BP (badge points) adding a minor element of strategy, although due to the game's overly simplistic nature much like its predecessor, along with a relatively easy difficulty, it won't really make that much of a difference what badges you bring into play.  The game once again makes use of the timed attack feature present in MRPG.  While Mario lacks the use of new skills via level up, he gains a new star power with each chapter, which are fun to see and use, although some are rather trivial, and are genuinely useless when compared to others.  The partners in this game are awesome, each serving a unique function in the overworld while having some unique traits in combat as well.  Pretty much the same as MRPG minus the overworld functions, but you have the ability to freely switch between companions during battle.  Each game is pretty simple and pretty easy.  But each game keeps the action moving at a fluid pace, introducing new elements that add upon the already fun combat system and manages to keep these simple encounters incredibly fun.

Considering all the above factors, my vote goes to Paper Mario.  To me it contained more interesting locales and denizens to talk to, which made up for the like of combat variety present in SMRPG.  But given the fact that these games are both easy and simple by design, and since there really is no depth to its combat, I place heavier emphasis on the story and the locations it takes me and people I meet, which ultimately leads me to pick Paper Mario.

MLBknights58

Don't be sorry. As somebody who is also prone to rambling, I totally dig this post!

#18 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -
I loved SMRPG. I didn't play PM though, hopefully I'd get the chance to play it one of these days.
Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
#19 Posted by CaptainGamespot (616 posts) -

mario rpg snes, square developed it when they were one of the best in world.

#20 Posted by CaptainGamespot (616 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Hmm...

GreySeal9

Don't be sorry. As somebody who is also prone to rambling, I totally dig this post!

ive seen you call people weirdo for making long posts, thats a nice change of pace.

#21 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Hmm...

CaptainGamespot

ive seen you call people weirdo for making long posts, thats a nice change of pace.

lol, no I haven't. 

I've called people weirdos for other things, but not for making long posts.

I have called that douchebag that keeps making new accounts a weirdo, but it's definitely not the long posts, but rather the lack of online social skills, his continual need to argue stupid points, his general obsession with this forum, and his overall behavior, which points to a personality disorder of some sort, that makes me call him that. Not long posts. If a post is constructive, I don't care how long it is, especially since I've made plenty of long posts myself. 

There's this guy called SolidTy from SW that makes long posts that I've called a weirdo, but it's not because of the length of his posts, but rather because he takes the internet abnormally seriously and has delusions of e-granduer.

I do have to wonder if I've called you or an alt account a weirdo in the past tho since the issue of who I've called a weirdo is not relevant to a thread about Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG.

#22 Posted by CaptainGamespot (616 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainGamespot"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

lol, no I haven't. 

I have called that douchebag that keeps making new accounts a weirdo, but it's definitely not the long posts, but rather the lack of online social skills, his continual need to argue stupid points, his general obsession with this forum, and his overall behavior, which points to a personality disorder of some sort, that makes me call him that. Not long posts. If a post is constructive, I don't care how long it is, especially since I've made plenty of long posts myself. 

There's this guy called SolidTy from SW that makes long posts that I've called a weirdo, but it's not because of the length of his posts, but rather because he takes the internet abnormally seriously and has delusions of e-granduer.

I do have to wonder if I've called you or an alt account a weirdo in the past tho since the issue of who I've called a weirdo is not relevant to a thread about Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG.

no, just an observation from an outsider peeking in. i was legit surprised u praised someone for rambling, even giving praise seemed out of character. kudos

tho the name dropping maybe could be seen taking things seriously.

i did answer super mario rpg for snes, as my answer. 

#23 Posted by Seabas989 (13205 posts) -

I never played a single Paper Mario game.

I loved SMRPG.

#24 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

CaptainGamespot

lol, no I haven't. 

no, just an observation from an outsider peeking in. i was legit surprised u praised someone for rambling, even giving praise seemed out of character. kudos

Okay. Cool. I'm just going to leave it at that.

So why do you like Super Mario RPG better?

#25 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

If I may tack on an additional question (and hopefully only a minor threadjack), how do these games compare to Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga on GBA? I played that recently and was really surprised just how much fun it was and probably count it as one of my favorite RPGs ever.

#26 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I find SM RPG more charming and important than Paper Mario.

It had great graphics for the SNES too and gave a glimpse of the future. (i.e. pseudo-3D movement and worlds)

But Paper Mario has it's qualities too.

#27 Posted by Megavideogamer (6367 posts) -

Super Mario RPG Legend of the seven Stars is my favorite out of those two. PaperMario is good. But Seven Stars is the better game.

#28 Posted by CaptainGamespot (616 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

lol, no I haven't. 

GreySeal9

Okay. Cool. I'm just going to leave it at that.

So why do you like Super Mario RPG better?

the magic of mario and in my dream rpg setting finally after longing for it for years.

square developed it and it was during their golden era.

#29 Posted by PokeCrysis (40 posts) -
I would have to go with Super Mario RPG For the SNES because; -There was "more" to the game (replay-ability, depth ect.) -It was a "unique" idea that hasn't been overdone unlike Super Paper Mario. -I got more "satisfiement" from beating Mario RPG than Super Paper Mario. -I found Super Paper Mario frustrating as f***k (Not really sure about censorship yet)