Which do you prefer? Mario Kart 64 or Crash Team Racing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
It's an epic showdown! It's been over 10 years since the release of both, and many people still go back to play these games. Which is better? Showdown time!             Credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQoVroqV08I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7NU3LBI6Q
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Mario Kart 64 and it isn't even remotely close. CTR is okay, but Mario Kart IS the cart racing genre. The only series that is worthy of comparison is Sonic and SEGA All-Stars.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NationProtector
Mario Kart 64 and it isn't even remotely close. CTR is okay, but Mario Kart IS the cart racing genre. The only series that is worthy of comparison is Sonic and SEGA All-Stars.famicommander
Lol, well thank you for your time.
AMGMercedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AMGMercedes
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

Diddy Kong Racing

Despite what any avid Sony and Nintendo fanboy may have you believe, Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing are hardly competitive games. The problem is that both games tried to be fair by giving everyone who plays the opportunity to win. This is done by giving the players who have fallen behind the best items in the game, allowing them to miraculously at times come from last place and finish in first just because the game had pity on their poor playing skills. It may be fair to that individual, but what of the player leading the race who has been stuck with useless items for the entire race? Its personally frustrating to be playing significantly well and maintaining that first place position only to lose it near the end simply because the player seven positions back just acquired overpowered items and blasted his way to the front from a streak of luck. It really takes the competitive edge away from both games.

Diddy Kong Racing was the very opposite. It didnt rely on luck to win and wasnt tailored to giving everyone that MK/CTR opportunity. You had to actually be skilled to win. There were no cheap items to incorporate and push you forward to victory. Whether you were in first place or last place, the items remained the same and it was left to the individual to strategically choose the proper item to select and when and how to use it. If you were a great player and the others racing with you were not, then it showed. You knew it and they knew it as well. No luck, no cheap items just pure skill involved. A game where practice would surely lead to perfection.

So the next time you find yourself playing Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing and feeling agitated because you just lost a race that you would surely have won, then think back on Diddy Kong Racing. A true racing experience with a true competitive nature where only the skilled player was destined to finish first.

Plus better soundrack (composer legend David Wise), graphics and multiple vehicles.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Mario Kart for me because of 4-player split screen. CTR may have offered that but I never had a multitap. I do like DKR more than both though.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NationProtector
Crash Team Racing are hardly competitive games. The problem is that both games tried to be fair by giving everyone who plays the opportunity to win.AMGMercedes
You have never played Crash Team Racing a day in your life have you? If you are skilled at the game, and you play crap players you will be a third of the track map away or more from everyone. You might even overlap.
Diddy Kong Racing was the very opposite. It didnt rely on luck to win and wasnt tailored to giving everyone that MK/CTR opportunity. You had to actually be skilled to win.AMGMercedes
You are completely nuts my friend you are way off.
Crash Team Racing and feeling agitated because you just lost a race that you would surely have wonAMGMercedes
:lol: This doesn't happen in Crash team racing!!! Lol, the Top 2 mentioned PSX Ar-racing games are considered the most balanced of that whole gen for a reason! Crash is one of them! I mean, DKR does not even have a skill curve!
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Crash Team Racing, more tracks, more characters, better controls, better graphics, better everything pretty much.
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

Crash Team Racing, more tracks, more characters, better controls, better graphics, better everything pretty much. LittleMac19

Better graphics!?! Looks like puke in comparison IMO.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NationProtector

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Crash Team Racing, more tracks, more characters, better controls, better graphics, better everything pretty much. conkertheking1

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I understand liking Mario Kart more, but that's something you won't see on any forum at all ever. Go explore google if you don't believe me. Look at some youtube videos. You would probably get a award, for being the first to say this. However, thank you for your vote.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Mario Kart 64, ah the memories of playing this game with my family.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Crash Team Racing, more tracks, more characters, better controls, better graphics, better everything pretty much. conkertheking1

It's your opinion and I respect it but I'm sorry:

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

That's just not right.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Crash Team Racing for me. Although I usually played the splitscreen in that game with friends (which was fu*king awesome), so I can't comment as much on the single player. Mario 64 is probably better in that regard.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#13 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Crash Team Racing easily. It had more charactesr (with more differences as well), more tracks, a single player mode that just makes MK64's look embrassing, and better graphics. I really do not think I can think of anything that MK64 does better except for maybe charm, which can only go so far.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

CTR. But it's a close call.

AMGMercedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AMGMercedes

You have never played Crash Team Racing a day in your life have you? If you are skilled at the game, and you play crap players you will be a third of the track map away or more from everyone. You might even overlap.NationProtector

You are completely nuts my friend you are way off.NationProtector

:lol: This doesn't happen in Crash team racing!!! Lol, the Top 2 mentioned PSX Ar-racing games are considered the most balanced of that whole gen for a reason! Crash is one of them! I mean, DKR does not even have a skill curve!NationProtector
Envious people will always bash other things and praise what they care about. You need to grow up.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

mario kart 64 was bad. a step down from mario kart snes

DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DRAGONPIECEZ
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
Crash Team Racing completely wipes the floor with Mario Kart 64, and this is coming from one of the biggest Nintendo supporters and Mario fanboys around. CTR has: much tighter controls, more inspired level design, a better drift mechanic, is much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, more balanced gameplay, a more robust selection of characters with their own stat pool, and an in depth story mode to boot with boss battles and different race types and not just "win da trophy!". CTR is still my cart racer of choice today, (along with any of the modern Mario Kart games). And as a Nintendo fanboy I despise when "teh nostalgia!" card is pulled against me for other Nintendo games, but alas it seems that in MK64s case that's the actual reason by most people on why it's preferred over CTR.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]You are completely nuts my friend you are way off.AMGMercedes

:lol: This doesn't happen in Crash team racing!!! Lol, the Top 2 mentioned PSX Ar-racing games are considered the most balanced of that whole gen for a reason! Crash is one of them! I mean, DKR does not even have a skill curve!NationProtector
Envious people will always bash other things and praise what they care about. You need to grow up.

I see you failed to address or back up your claims.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Crash Team Racing is child's play compared to Mario Kart. There's more depth to the racing mechanics in Mario Kart.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NationProtector
Crash Team Racing is child's play compared to Mario Kart. There's more depth to the racing mechanics in Mario Kart.Heirren
How so?
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="Heirren"]Crash Team Racing is child's play compared to Mario Kart. There's more depth to the racing mechanics in Mario Kart.NationProtector
How so?

The boost concept.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

Mario Kart was way more fun for me.  But I never really liked the Crash Bandicoot characters or games.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Definitely Mario Kart 64.

I've always thought CTR was okay at best.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts
I didn't play too much of Crash Team Racing, but what I did play was a lot more fun than Mario Kart Sixty Bore... I mean Four.
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts
F-Zero
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NationProtector
[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="Heirren"]Crash Team Racing is child's play compared to Mario Kart. There's more depth to the racing mechanics in Mario Kart.Heirren
How so?

The boost concept.

Which telle me nothing without an explanation.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="NationProtector"] How so?NationProtector
The boost concept.

He might be talking about the tactic, "snaking", where you drift boost the entire race, including on straightaways.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#29 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Crash Team Racing

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="Heirren"] The boost concept.Demonjoe93

He might be talking about the tactic, "snaking", where you drift boost the entire race, including on straightaways.

So power sliding which CTR did better and it had more balance?
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] Which telle me nothing without an explanation.NationProtector

That thing, yeah. Not sure if it was that balanced though. You definitely could snake in CTR.

Hell, you kinda had to if you wanted to beat the Oxide ghosts.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

Demonjoe93

That thing, yeah. Not sure if it was that balanced though. You definitely could snake in CTR.

It depends on how you play, I managed to beat the game without even knowing how to Power Slide because I ignored the masks for a few thing when I got the game on release. Turns out the Power sliding balances out the players.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] So power sliding which CTR did better and it had more balance?NationProtector

It depends on how you play, I managed to beat the game without even knowing how to Power Slide because I ignored the masks for a few thing when I got the game on release. Turns out the Power sliding balances out the players.

I'm guessing you did not like Papu's Pyramid then, huh? :P

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Mario Kart for nostalgia's sake but also because I flat out did not care about CTR.  What the hell is the point if I can't have four player battles?

They both had merits, but CTR was a pretty shameless ripoff of the series. 

AMGMercedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AMGMercedes

Diddy Kong Racing

Despite what any avid Sony and Nintendo fanboy may have you believe, Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing are hardly competitive games. The problem is that both games tried to be fair by giving everyone who plays the opportunity to win. This is done by giving the players who have fallen behind the best items in the game, allowing them to miraculously at times come from last place and finish in first just because the game had pity on their poor playing skills. It may be fair to that individual, but what of the player leading the race who has been stuck with useless items for the entire race? Its personally frustrating to be playing significantly well and maintaining that first place position only to lose it near the end simply because the player seven positions back just acquired overpowered items and blasted his way to the front from a streak of luck. It really takes the competitive edge away from both games.

Diddy Kong Racing was the very opposite. It didnt rely on luck to win and wasnt tailored to giving everyone that MK/CTR opportunity. You had to actually be skilled to win. There were no cheap items to incorporate and push you forward to victory. Whether you were in first place or last place, the items remained the same and it was left to the individual to strategically choose the proper item to select and when and how to use it. If you were a great player and the others racing with you were not, then it showed. You knew it and they knew it as well. No luck, no cheap items just pure skill involved. A game where practice would surely lead to perfection.

So the next time you find yourself playing Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing and feeling agitated because you just lost a race that you would surely have won, then think back on Diddy Kong Racing. A true racing experience with a true competitive nature where only the skilled player was destined to finish first.

Plus better soundrack (composer legend David Wise), graphics and multiple vehicles.AMGMercedes

I see you failed to address or back up your claims.NationProtector

No, reading comprehension helps.

inter_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inter_911
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts
Crash Team Racing, more tracks, more characters, better controls, better graphics, better everything pretty much. LittleMac19
This ^ CTR all the way :)
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Demonjoe93

Mario Kart for nostalgia's sake but also because I flat out did not care about CTR.  What the hell is the point if I can't have four player battles?

starfox15

You could play with three other people. You just needed that stupid multitap. I always hated that thing.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NationProtector

[QUOTE="AMGMercedes"]

Diddy Kong Racing

Plus better soundrack (composer legend David Wise), graphics and multiple vehicles.AMGMercedes

I see you failed to address or back up your claims.NationProtector

No, reading comprehension helps.

No, you are lacking in brain development. you did not even give a description of the difference just said random words out your mouth.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NationProtector

starfox15
Rip-off that plays nothing like it????
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

Demonjoe93

I'm guessing you did not like Papu's Pyramid then, huh? :P

It was more of an issues when I was racing Papu himself on that track. That 1st part of the track always got me. It was a pain in the ass. By the time I got to Pinstripe i found out how to power slide by accident and also pressed start for the first time and saw that had all the hints pre-recorded to listen to again as well as other stats I was like "Did I really not press start this whole game?" At least I used the Load Save Screen lol.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Never played Crash Team Racing so I can't say. I like Mario Kart 64 but even with nostalgia goggles it's not one of my favorite Mario Karts.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

[QUOTE="starfox15"]

Demonjoe93

You could play with three other people. You just needed that stupid multitap. I always hated that thing.

Same. I can understand it with the PSOne, but why Sony didn't scrap it with the PS2 is beyond me considering that even though PS1 kicked N64's ass in sales, it did not in multiplayer popularity and that's what made four controller ports catch on. There was a reason that even the PS2 wasn't the go to place for local multiplayer save for fighting games.

thebamboozle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 thebamboozle
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

CTR is still a great game with some cool side things to play. Always near and dear to me.

AMGMercedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AMGMercedes

No, you are lacking in brain development. you did not even give a description of the difference just said random words out your mouth.NationProtector
Translation:

Huh, I have no way to respond to him without looking like a dumbass, I'll just tell him: "you're lacking in brain development". Good one, me! Lololol I'm so smart and original!NationProtector

Pro Tip: You still look like a dumbass. At this point, you're just stupid. It's obvious. Even your name points to that.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]No, you are lacking in brain development. you did not even give a description of the difference just said random words out your mouth.AMGMercedes

Translation:

Huh, I have no way to respond to him without looking like a dumbass, I'll just tell him: "you're lacking in brain development". Good one, me! Lololol I'm so smart and original!NationProtector

Pro Tip: You still look like a dumbass. At this point, you're just stupid. It's obvious. Even your name points to that.

So now just name calling instead of backing up what you said because you had no examples? It's the simplest request t answer, i have no idea why you are trying so hard to spin-out of it. Give me an example of your point. Are you little mac?
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

CTR has FAR better graphics than MK, but MK is slightly better gameplay-wise in my opinion. But thats only because I like Nintendo, and Mario games.
lionheart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lionheart22
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
Loving the support for CTR, never knew it had so many fans on here! One of my all time favorite games.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

my play time w/ MK64 is limited, but it always seemed to be significantly worse then CTR.  For some reason I've never been crazy about MK, I used to play with multiple people on the DS but still it never clicked the way it does with something like Smash Bros.

However I had plenty of fun playing 2 player on CTR, 3 or 4 players would have been mind blowing but I never got a multi tap :( They should rerelease it with online functionality and now you won't even need a multi-tap.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Loving the support for CTR, never knew it had so many fans on here! One of my all time favorite games.lionheart22

Yes CTR sh*ts all over MK in my opinion. Although MK64 is one of the best Mario Karts IMO.