which console was the greatest???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

SNES or PS1???

i think that for the most part, we can all agree that these two consoles really churned out some good games back in the day, REALLY good games back in the day. which one did you like better???

hard choice for me but i think im gonna have to go with the SNES....just waaaaay more fond memories. but i had some DAMN good times with my PS1 as well....

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'd have to say PS1.

FF VIII - a game with four full CDs. Amazing amount of content.

TabJSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TabJSR
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts

The Super Nintendo has to be the best system. I didn't get a PS1 until much later, but I have to agree that the PS1 is one of the best game consoles. The Super Nintendo just had a better library of games.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
SNES. Games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country and Link To The Past are my favorites ever.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
While PS1 had many great games.SNES killed it by have having dozens of amazing games. SNES killed PS1 in the RPG department. With FF4,FF6
bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I believe SNES had the bigger library of games, but when it comes to innovation the PS1 definitely wins there. I mean cinematic gaming was practically perfected with the PS1 in games like FFVII MGS and Silent Hill.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts

SNES FTW

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
SNES
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

While PS1 had many great games.SNES killed it by have having dozens of amazing games. SNES killed PS1 in the RPG department. With FF4,FF6JKnaperek

Don't kid yourself the ps1 is like an RPG god. It had FF7 and FF8, it even had FFT and other games like Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Grandia, Vagrant Story. Its got the highest rated rpgs ever made on a console. Also FF6 and 4 were remade for the ps1. If you ask me the PS1 is a much better system, heck it started MGS which had voice acting, CG movies which the SNES lacked. Other than platforming titles like mario and donkey kong it had nothing over the PS1. Zelda was also awesome. Heck the ps1 even stole chrono trigger and made somewhat of a sequel (Chrono Cross) and a few other titles from the SNES such as Mega Man.

Ps1 also came out with the most popular racing game ever created Gran Turismo, the first system to have a 3D fighting games like Tekken 3. It also came out with the most popular castlevania game ever which is Symphony of the Night. Also the PS1 started Resident Evil and had 4 different RE games. Don't get me wrong I love the SNES but it doesn't have a better gaming library then the PS1.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

their both very different systems... i dont think they compare...

but... i think the ps1 is better..

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"]While PS1 had many great games.SNES killed it by have having dozens of amazing games. SNES killed PS1 in the RPG department. With FF4,FF6zaku101

Don't kid yourself the ps1 is like an RPG god. It had FF7 and FF8, it even had FFT and other games like Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Grandia, Vagrant Story. Its got the highest rated rpgs ever made on a console. Also FF6 and 4 were remade for the ps1. If you ask me the PS1 is a much better system, heck it started MGS which had voice acting, CG movies which the SNES lacked. Other than platforming titles like mario and donkey kong it had nothing over the PS1. Zelda was also awesome. Heck the ps1 even stole chrono trigger and made somewhat of a sequel (Chrono Cross) and a few other titles from the SNES such as Mega Man.

Ps1 also came out with the most popular racing game ever created Gran Turismo, the first system to have a 3D fighting games like Tekken 3. It also came out with the most popular castlevania game ever which is Symphony of the Night. Also the PS1 started Resident Evil and had 4 different RE games. Don't get me wrong I love the SNES but it doesn't have a better gaming library then the PS1.

I agree in that I love the PS1. But SNES had it's own library of greats that easily equals the PS1: Donkey Kong Country games, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Zelda: Link to the Past, Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage & Seperation Anxiety, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, SimCity, Doom, Final Fight games, Wolfenstein 3D, Mega Man X series, Actraiser, Super Street Fighter II, Street Fighter Alpha, Mortal Kombat games, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Wing Commander, and others. And it had it's own line of incredible RPGs: Breath of Fire 1 & 2, Final Fantasy 3 & IV, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Eye of the Beholder, Super Mario RPG, and others. My point being, the SNES has plenty more to offer than just "platforming titles like Mario and Donkey Kong." And yeah, the SNES didn't have much in the 3D department other than Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and Star Fox. But that's because it was 16-bit. It was never made to present 3D games. So the fact that PS1 had the first 3D fighting games is great (and untrue, Sega 32X and Sega Genesis had the Virtua Fighters), but nonetheless, the SNES started the fighting game craze on consoles with Street Fighter II and kept the phenomenon alive with the Mortal Kombat games. Without SNES's SFII and MK games, you wouldn't have been playing Tekken. Both had great games for their time, and both were a ton of fun. But in the end, I think SNES wins it due to aging well. You can still pick up SNES games and play them with little complaint and have a good time. While PS1 games look very primitive and blocky, and play areas are often small, limited, and constrained by those annoying invisible walls. They don't hold up as well over time as the SNES games do.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

While one of my top games of all time is on PlayStation - I spent a lot more time and have a lot more favorites overall on the SNES.

At this point it's better to just own multiple systems as you can go back and see what you missed.

Quick FYI - without the SNES, there might never have been the PlayStation.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
SNES. They started the glorious age of everything.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 slvrraven9

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"]While PS1 had many great games.SNES killed it by have having dozens of amazing games. SNES killed PS1 in the RPG department. With FF4,FF6zaku101

id have to agree, the ps1 definatly had the better selection of rpgs, for my preference. i loved xenogears (fave rpg EVER, imo), ff7 and ff8 but i think the SNES definatly had its fill of quality RPGs as well plus it has my second fave rpg ever which is chrono trigger. ......Man, thats a hard choice now that i think about it....
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="kingdavid562"]

their both very different systems... i dont think they compare...

but... i think the ps1 is better..

of course theyre different. ones cartriged and the other is disk on the obvious difference...and theres many more than that. but comparable as in which one you had more fun with and which one you liked better. you can compare an NES to a PS3 if its a close competition....
Joseph-425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Joseph-425
Member since 2010 • 562 Posts

Enjoyed both, but prefer SNES:):)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

SNES.

Though PS1 is MUCH better than PS2.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

For me it's a tie.

Avatar image for LstDrivenMchine
LstDrivenMchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LstDrivenMchine
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts
PS1, FTW.!
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
PS1 both systems are great though.
marc5477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 marc5477
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts

Funny... all the innovations you saw in those two came from the... PC. Consoles never invented a darn thing, they simply used research done there and moved it over to a propietary piece of hardware and they were always years behind what the PC could do.

That said, I have fonder memories of the SNES. The games seemed to have more charm to them but it might be because I was younger. The PS1 had good games but in general they werent memorable because by the time games like FFVII came out I already had games like Daggerfall & Diablo on the PC and you simply could not compare Daggerfall or PC Diablo to console games in general... Daggerfall made consoles look like baby rattles. I did enjoy some PS games though, like FFT, BoF and a bunch of others but they were not memorable.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slvrraven9

Funny... all the innovations you saw in those two came from the... PC. Consoles never invented a darn thing, they simply used research done there and moved it over to a propietary piece of hardware and they were always years behind what the PC could do.

That said, I have fonder memories of the SNES. The games seemed to have more charm to them but it might be because I was younger. The PS1 had good games but in general they werent memorable because by the time games like FFVII came out I already had games like Daggerfall & Diablo on the PC and you simply could not compare Daggerfall or PC Diablo to console games in general... Daggerfall made consoles look like baby rattles. I did enjoy some PS games though, like FFT, BoF and a bunch of others but they were not memorable.

marc5477

why you feel you had to bring PC into a console conversation is beyond me. yes we recognize the PC as the "innovator" but i dont think it was neccessary. thanks for the input though! :) i do appreciate it...

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

snes or n64, i can not choose between these 2 becasue they both had their games, goldeneye or dkc etc , its a tough one , but snes is what im choosing

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stinger78

snes or n64, i can not choose between these 2 becasue they both had their games, goldeneye or dkc etc , its a tough one , but snes is what im choosing

mariokart64fan
The choices in the first post were SNES and PlayStation (1) - but I'm thinking your response might be similar.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Greatest-N64

Greater-SNES

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stinger78

Greatest-N64

Greater-SNES

magnax1
Like I posted to the person 2 comments up - in the first post by the TC - the choices for this topic were SNES and PlayStation. Perhaps it should've been a poll thread or those 2 put into the topic title instead of a post, as not everyone reads the very first post in a topic.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I didn't play on the SNES much. Some of the games were great, but I really enjoyed the games on PS1 more. Just my preference.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Greatest-N64

Greater-SNES

Stinger78

Like I posted to the person 2 comments up - in the first post by the TC - the choices for this topic were SNES and PlayStation. Perhaps it should've been a poll thread or those 2 put into the topic title instead of a post, as not everyone reads the very first post in a topic.

He asked which console was the greatest, but gave us an option of two so either

1-Improper grammar

2-He is saying those two are the only options for the greatest console which I don't agree with

So I put an option for each of those two

Avatar image for Nyxathid_Horror
Nyxathid_Horror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nyxathid_Horror
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

SNES: A Link to the Past, Donky Kong 1-3, Killer Instinct, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, Zombies Ate my Neighbors, Kirby Super Star, Gradius III, Super Mario Kart, Final Fantasy III, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, etc...

I have yet to have a system that has had even the slightest impact that SNES did.

WartBoy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WartBoy95
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

SNES dominates.

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts

I've played both and I like both of them equally. I can't decide, such a hard question.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#33 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

PS1 for me

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I would have to say the PS1. It had way to many games that I loved... here are some: Metal Gear Solid series Tomb Raider series Resident Evil series Grand Theft Auto series Oddworld: Abes Oddysey Driver series WWF series WCW series ECW series There are way too many :lol: