Which console version of Doom is better: Doom64 for N64 or PSX Doom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

I've been watching some Youtube videos of both versions and it looks like the PSX version is more faithful to the original, with improved music and most (if not all) of the original levelss and enemies of the pc version. But the N64 version looks really great, with 32 entirely new levels, improved sprites and edge smoothing on enemies and environments to smooth out the pixelated appearance. They did take out a few enemies in the n64 version though, and some stuff like the shotgun reload animations are missing. I hink the music for both is done by the same guy.

anyone who has played both versions, can you give me your opinions?

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Playstation by far. 54 levels, totally awesome. The 64 version just felt wrong, no real way to explain it a friend had it and after 5 minutes I wanted to do something else.
res0i39c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 res0i39c
Member since 2007 • 2007 Posts

The playstation is the best one. I still likedthe n64 one.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well since doom 64 and ps1 is totally different i cant say which is better, ps1 was just a ported snes game,

so n64 snes by far

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

PSX Doom got the most level and nearly every monsters (only one out is the arch-vile i believe) go with this one.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

How do the 32x and Saturn version hold up? Been looking at getting one of those.

MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

The PSX version is the best of the two, as it was based on the originals and features lighting effects that were not present in the original PC release. My only problem with that version, however, is how they completely threw out the sextastic MIDI-rock soundtrack and added a genaric ambient-horror soundtrack (Doom was never meant to be scary, it was a balls-to-the-wall run-and-gun shooter dammit!).

The 32X version is considered one of the worst ports, thanks to the fact that it was rushed and thus doesn't contain the third episode "The Inferno". The Saturn version isn't held very highly either due to a terrible framerate.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

If you already had the PC versions, Doom 64 was the better choice considering it was and still is completely new and different from any other Doom.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

ps1 was just a ported snes gamemariokart64fan

No. Not even close.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

ps1 was just a ported snes gameSecond_Rook

No. Not even close.

yes not at all

MecaShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MecaShadow
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

ps1 was just a ported snes gamehurriflash

No. Not even close.

yes not at all

Indeed.

A more accurate statement would be to say the PSX version is a refined port of the Jaguar version.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidSoldner

Has anyone tried the homebrew port of Doom for the Dreamcast?

Been wanting to dl it but I read somewhere that the save function doesn't work.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

How do the 32x and Saturn version hold up? Been looking at getting one of those.

AcidSoldner
the 32X version is notorious for its horrible sound and missing levels, it does run at a decent frame rate and the graphics arent too bad the Saturn version looks identical to the PS1 version but it runs extremely slow (the SNES version runs as slow/faster). the best version of the two has to be the PS1 version, as its closest to the PC version (which is the absolute best)
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
64 is completely different game. Its also very atmospheric and worth checking out.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

so far I'm liking the N64 version. I did have to turn the brightness on my tv way up to see it. It's sooo dark! But the customizable control scheme is pretty cool. The ominous sounding tunes go good with this game. i never cared for the original soundtrack. I just got the xbox 360 version too, and it's great, but I don't like the music at all.

I'm stuck on the second level of the n64 version. I can't get past the big slabs in the wall that go up and down and crush you.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

The PS1 version is the best out of the two. I love that game. It has exclusive levels for the PS1 like:

The Mansion

Club Doom

Redemption Denied

Threshold of Pain

The Marshes

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

PSX Doom, because its ambient soundtrack was incredibly terrifying but also amazingly good.

The PSX version of Doom was probably one of the best ports out there. It ran great, looked great (featuring some cool new backdrops such as the hell backdrop featuring animated flames), and sounded great, too. The soundtrack alone made it an experience worth checking out and one that felt much different than any of the other Doom games out there, period. Doom 64 is certainly the closest match in terms of atmosphere, but even then, you don't get the oldschool levels and visuals of the old Doom games. To put it bluntly, Doom 64 had awful level design and a very boring art style in my opinion.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

well since doom 64 and ps1 is totally different i cant say which is better, ps1 was just a ported snes game,

so n64 snes by far

mariokart64fan

Good God, your facts are skewed. Where do you pull this stuff from?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Darkman2007

the 32X version is notorious for its horrible sound and missing levels, it does run at a decent frame rate and the graphics arent too bad the Saturn version looks identical to the PS1 version but it runs extremely slow (the SNES version runs as slow/faster). the best version of the two has to be the PS1 version, as its closest to the PC version (which is the absolute best)

I was roaming around the interwebz and read that the NTS-J version of Saturn Doom runs at a much better framerate (25-30) as does the PAL version.

Can anyone confirm this?

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Pred-Alien-
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

Darkman2007

It wasnt half bad, afterall, it was playable and looked okay. Yes thats saying a lot:P
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Pred-Alien-

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

AcidSoldner

I was roaming around the interwebz and read that the NTS-J version of Saturn Doom runs at a much better framerate (25-30) as does the PAL version.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yep thats true, theres comparisons about.