which atari is the best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

i plan on getting one.. but i want to know which one is the best built.. the atari is OLD and i want it to last me a long time:P.. which one is the best built?.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

atari 2600, 7800, flashback with mod

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Atari 2600 is the most well-known model, it is the most common one, and it has the most games made for it. It is also the cheapest one, and the most primitive one when it comes to graphics and sound. The Atari 7800 is equivalent to an NES graphically (well, maybe just below NES), and it also plays the Atari 2600 in addition to the 7800 games. Atari claims it makes 2600 games look better, I have never seen it in action personally, so I don't know how true that statement is. The only drawback is that the 7800 is rarer and more expensive than the 2600. It's not gonna set you back $200 like Neo-Geo, though. I've seen em go on EBay and Amazon for around $70-$100 a piece. While the Atari 2600 goes for about $30-$60. The Atari Jaguar is the system they put out to compete with SNES, Genesis, and Sega CD. It was the first 64-bit game system during a time when 16-bit was still king. It is a collector's item and fetches a pretty penny. If you have the money to spend, by all means get it. But if you're looking for a system with a huge library of games to choose from, you're not gonna get that from the Jaguar. The Atari 5200 came out after Atari 2600 but before Atari 7800. It was supposed to be the successor to Atari 2600. But it failed in comparison, and the 2600 was selling more units then the 5200 so Atari pulled the plug on it after a short lifespan. It did have better graphics and better sound than the Atari 2600, and it had true ports to many of the arcade hits that Atari 2600 could only attempt to mimmick. The biggest failure cited for it that I've read was that it couldn't play Atari 2600 games. And Atari Lynx is their handheld console. I think it's actually pretty impressive. It's full-color and true 8-bit graphics, unlike the Original Gameboy which was it's competition. And the 2nd model had a backlit screen. The big drawback is that it doesn't have the hugest library of games. Not nearly as bad of a selection as say the Neo-Geo Pocket Color or Atari Jaguar, but not as good as Gameboy. It had a few pretty good games for the time. It's also a battery-eater like the Game Gear. But that can be solved with a universal AC Adapter.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well, the Atari 7800 is backwards compatible with the 2600, so you can play 2600 games on it, as well as having some good games of its own.

its also probably more likely to work.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Lot of incorrect information here. There are multiple versions of the 2600. The Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer is by far the best Atari available. If you can afford 1 this is the model to buy.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
The Atari 7800 is equivalent to an NES graphically (well, maybe just below NES), and it also plays the Atari 2600 in addition to the 7800 games. Atari claims it makes 2600 games look better, I have never seen it in action personally, so I don't know how true that statement is. The only drawback is that the 7800 is rarer and more expensive than the 2600. It's not gonna set you back $200 like Neo-Geo, though. I've seen em go on EBay and Amazon for around $70-$100 a piece. While the Atari 2600 goes for about $30-$60.Emerald_Warrior

I've read that while the initial version of the 7800 has perfect backwards compatibility, later models have issues with some games. Oh, and the controller that the 7800 shipped with in the US in an abomination.

Atari technically had one other home console, released in between the 7800 and Jaguar: Atari XEGS. This system was based on their 8-bit computer line (similar to the Atari 5200) and could even play all the same games (unlike the 5200).

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts
The Atari 800 or ST of course ! If you want a console take the 2600 woody version , it's the original and build like a tank , if you want something special go for the Jaguar and search for tempest , it's a great game and the best version by far .
HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 HFkami
Member since 2009 • 855 Posts

jaguar dont know what other have

Avatar image for Videogamefan123
Videogamefan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Videogamefan123
Member since 2007 • 941 Posts

As an owner of the 2600, 5200, and 7800 I'll share my expirience.

Cheapest to own and collect for that I have. The game library is huge and you can get most of the good games for cheap. It's also a pretty big library as most people know. Also has lots and lots of accesories

While this system gets a bad rap on the interwebs I stand behind it. It is really good and I haven't really had a problem with it. The games are all pretty good but it is a small library. I definatley like the near perfect arcade ports availible for it. The controllers... they are actually good and they don't break all the time. I have rebuilt ones and their still going strong after a year. Also the trackball controller is pretty good. If you want one I would suggest you get the 4-port version as the 2-port version(and some 4-ports with an * in the serial number) while being able to use the 2600 adapter, can't play some 5200 games. Though I will say that Activision cheaped out on 5200 ports because they basically have the same sprites as the 2600 versions.

The controllers are good in my mind, but some people complain about them as their like the 5200 controllers. If you don't like them then you can use any controller using a 9-pin input(IE Genesis, Colecovision, ect) The game library is kind of hit and miss, alot of the games are good but their are a few that definatley suck(like super huey) Anyway about the 2600 compatiability, some games still won't work because the cartridge slot is really, really narrow. I haven't tried it but I doubt you could firt 3rd party games like those double enders in it.

As for which one is the best, it's really just a matter of personal opinions on what games you like and what you like in a system.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

the atari LYNX. It's the best by FAR! (the only portable atari too)

SelVis52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SelVis52
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

i plan on getting one.. but i want to know which one is the best built.. the atari is OLD and i want it to last me a long time:P.. which one is the best built?.

kingdavid562
2600. I picked one up the other day at a thriftstore. I got a ****load of games, some vintage manuals and catalogs, 4 Joysticks, 2 paddles and the original Atari game Center box for 10.00.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

The controllers are good in my mind, but some people complain about them as their like the 5200 controllers. If you don't like them then you can use any controller using a 9-pin input(IE Genesis, Colecovision, ect) The game library is kind of hit and miss, alot of the games are good but their are a few that definatley suck(like super huey) Anyway about the 2600 compatiability, some games still won't work because the cartridge slot is really, really narrow. I haven't tried it but I doubt you could firt 3rd party games like those double enders in it.

As for which one is the best, it's really just a matter of personal opinions on what games you like and what you like in a system.

Videogamefan123

As I understand the standard [unmodified] Genesis controller will only emulate the joystick and one of the 7800's buttons. It has to be rewired for the other button.

Of course there is always the European 7800 controllers:

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#14 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Atari 2600, it's got the largest library for one, but it's not just that.. It's THE Atari, when people say "My Atari", they refer to their 2600. 5200 and 7800 were okay to an extent, but I always come back to the 2600. :)
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
7800 is the best way to go. It's got very good backwards compatibility and some great arcade ports of its own. You won't find a better version of Joust anywhere except in an arcade.
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts

The original 2600 is probably what your thinking of when you say Atari. The Lynx had some great games (think gameboy but in color) and the Jaguar is one of those really unique systems. It only had about 60 games released total but there are some real gems in there along with some crap too. You can get a Jaguar for about 50 bucks with one or two of the more common games. Problem is, many of the very best games were released after Atari died, and were independent releases. One game in paticular Battlesphere Gold sells for 300-500 dollars a copy. This is the limit but several of the best games are still 60 dollars or more even when you can find them. For the games you can get cheaply though the Jag is still worth it and I would get one if I were you. Most 2600 games can be found in retro game compiliations, but just about zero Jaguar games were ported, and the only way to play them is on real hardware.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]The Atari 7800 is equivalent to an NES graphically (well, maybe just below NES), and it also plays the Atari 2600 in addition to the 7800 games. Atari claims it makes 2600 games look better, I have never seen it in action personally, so I don't know how true that statement is. The only drawback is that the 7800 is rarer and more expensive than the 2600. It's not gonna set you back $200 like Neo-Geo, though. I've seen em go on EBay and Amazon for around $70-$100 a piece. While the Atari 2600 goes for about $30-$60.ThePlothole

I've read that while the initial version of the 7800 has perfect backwards compatibility, later models have issues with some games. Oh, and the controller that the 7800 shipped with in the US in an abomination.

Atari technically had one other home console, released in between the 7800 and Jaguar: Atari XEGS. This system was based on their 8-bit computer line (similar to the Atari 5200) and could even play all the same games (unlike the 5200).

I have an XE. Best version of Lode Runner I've ever played is on that craptastic system! Oh, and Star Raiders is nice with a full keyboard too.