Which are the best metroidvania games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jKryptonite (118 posts) -

Im aching for some metroidvania games i haven't played yet. My favourites are SuperMetroid and Symphony of the night. Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Nope....

Its a very Obscure Phenomenon that even I don't understand yet.

#3 Edited by jKryptonite (118 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I was thinking about games similar to the ones mentioned in the post, not making a war about what genre it is..

#4 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@jKryptonite

I never played those games and appearently the Last 2 Castlevania games didn't pass the Metroidvania Test.

I've heard two games being described as Metroidvania though, Shadow Complex and Aquaria.

#5 Posted by jKryptonite (118 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: thanks i haven't heard of Aquaria, going to check it out..

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@jKryptonite

I know very little about it though, so tread carefully.

Hopefully somebody who knows alot more than me will have suggest more examples

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

Shadow Complex, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Guacamelee, VVVVVV and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow all come to mind.

#8 Edited by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

I know 2 games that fit the Metroidvania style that came out recently. Guacamelee and the remake of Strider. One could also argue Dark Souls is a metroidvania as well, as are the Metroid Prime trilogy.

And for @Lulu_Lulu, Metroidvania refers to a style of gameplay that emphasizes puzzle-solving and fast action combat through a massive world that's built like an interconnected spiderweb. It involves finding hidden areas and pathways, secrets, gameplay upgrades, and the ability to complete the game from any direction you feel like.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Yeah but Dark Souls and Guacamelee ?

Thats a bit of a stretch don't you you think ?

Guacamelee's World doesn't feel like an interconnected web plus the upgrades are abit lackluster. Dark Souls upgrades ate class RPG Stat and Attributes and has no puzzles.

Its a Strict Formula.

#10 Posted by illmatic87 (17931 posts) -

Ones that are similar (In order from games closest to 'Metroidvania')

Guacamelee

Shantae: Risky Revenge- Director's Cut

Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Cave Story+

Dust: An Elysian Tail

SteamWorld Dig

Aquaria

Strider

Capsized

Waking Mars

The Swapper

FEZ

#11 Posted by Grieverr (2835 posts) -

Strider. Go get Strider.

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

So why haven't any 3D Games been Mentioned ?

#13 Posted by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Because 3D is very hard to get right with Metroidvania style games. The best examples I can think of are actual Metroid games, and that's the Prime Trilogy, which are all impeccably designed. Also, Batman: Arkham Asylum can be considered a Metroidvania-style game in that for a majority of the game, you're backtracking through familiar, but different sections of the many facilities on Arkham Island, and that's not including the Riddler trophies you have to find.

#14 Posted by Archangel3371 (22898 posts) -

Yeah the new Strider is great and Guacamelee was pretty good as well.

#15 Edited by Renegade_Fury (19627 posts) -

Aside from other Castlevania and Metroid games, I'll suggest Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent.

#16 Posted by alim298 (2747 posts) -

Valdis Story: Abyssal City

#17 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Doesn't Seem hard to me.... Just use alil Genre splicing and Presto... Metroidvania.

#18 Posted by BatladyMia (26 posts) -

Just platinumed Guacamelee on PS4. Soooo good.

In terms of retro titles, Symphony of the Night will always be one of my favorite games of all time. Just technically perfect on so many levels!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18583 posts) -

Cave story and the GBA/ DS castlevania games are all great.

#20 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

Super Metroid is and always will be the best.

#21 Edited by SovietsUnited (2457 posts) -

Can Demon's Crest be considered metroidvania? If so, definitely give that a try.

#22 Edited by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

Dark Souls is one of the finest recent examples of a well-executed Metroidvania formula. It uses a hub world with entirely non-linear progression. You can access mid-point parts of the game from the very beginning (Blighttown) and can find shortcuts to almost everywhere.

Metroidvania is about skill-based combat and non-linear traversal of the game world. Nothing more, nothing less. Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are the reason why the genre even exists. "Puzzles" are a result of the game world imposing challenges on the player to either find the proper item to proceed, or perform a maneuver to get by.

#23 Posted by halffullcup (90 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: yeah those and sotn are the best castlevania

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
#24 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy, Outland.

#25 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@foxhound_fox

Nope... Puzzles are actuall puzzles, some of them may come in the form of puzzle bosses, which D Souls has very few of and its upgrades are further on the Stat side more than they are Game Mechanic side. Theres really nothing clever about Dark Souls. All it wants is Time and Memorization.

#26 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18583 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: If puzzle is something you're supposed to say "how do i best this" or "how do I solve this issue" then Dark souls has plenty of puzzles. Not traditionally puzzles like in zelda or something but puzzles as in "wow the odds are stacked against me how do I beat this?" Also before you say that the game is entirely not skill based, know that a friend and I made a collaborative file where the character has not gone over level 17. And we're at the end of the game.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

Thats nice but it was my understanding that Soul Level does didly squat to actually improve the stats in combat, those souls are better spent on your equipment.

A puzzle is basicly a problem with a clever or elegant solution/s. If you want some idea of what a puzzle boss is suppose to be like then I the best examples are a few Darksiders Bossess and President Evil 5 and 6 Bossess, or my Personal Favourite, Both Boss Battles in Portal 2.

Is there any encounter in Dark Souls that allows that degree of elegant solutions ?

#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

What you're talking about could be classified as an Optimal Strategy and can be bad game design.

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Nope... Puzzles are actuall puzzles, some of them may come in the form of puzzle bosses, which D Souls has very few of and its upgrades are further on the Stat side more than they are Game Mechanic side. Theres really nothing clever about Dark Souls. All it wants is Time and Memorization.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Nope....

Its a very Obscure Phenomenon that even I don't understand yet.

You admitted to not knowing what a Metroidvania game was.

You don't have the authority to define it. I've been playing Super Metroid since 1994.

#30 Edited by turtlethetaffer (18583 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Elegant solutions? Define that. If you mean a boss encounter where you can take them down and feel like a pro doing it, then yeah thre're plenty of those.

But there are a few where you can use the environment to your advantage too. Taurus Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Bed of Chaos (although the latter isn't really fun at all). But most of the bosses can be taken down in "elegant fashion."

Also the bosses in RE5 are weak compared to the bosses in RE4. I liked RE5 but even I'll admit that.

Edit: I'm surprised you like the Darksiders games, or at least 2, considering it's based on upping stats with equipment and leveling up. I mean, I enjoyed both immensely, I think they're very underrated but I'm surprised you like them.

#31 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@foxhound_fox

Keep playing it... Hell maybe if you play it hard enough its possible Dark Souls will become Metroidvania. :p

Also when people say they don't know something... Don't throw it back in their face, its hard to admit something like that and you could discourage people from doing it if you're that desperate to win an Argument.

#32 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Keep playing it... Hell maybe if you play it hard enough its possible Dark Souls will become Metroidvania. :p

Also when people say they don't know something... Don't throw it back in their face, its hard to admit something like that and you could discourage people from doing it if you're that desperate to win an Argument.

You admitted to not having any experience with the genre and then went on to try and define it. It would be like not having experience driving a car and then telling somebody how to drive one.

#33 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

An Elegant soltion is basically a clever solution, Puzzle Game's are built on finding Elegant Solutions, after all, theres usually only one solution to a puzzle.

But in Dark Souls, you're not so much struggling against a puzzle so much as You are faced with obviously over whelming Circumstances. Massive Emenies with Massive Stats and predictable behavior is challenging but the type of soltion it presents is one of Exploitation, which doesn't sound very elegant, and that can only become worse if you have to do this repeadetly. I mean, once you've figured out the pattern and executed and Exploited your way around the problem then things can only go downhill from there if the Boss is still Standing. Theres nothing left to learn and nothing left to Master. You just have to keep doing it till its dead.

As For President Evil 4, How many Bossess where there again ? I remember the The Fish, They Red Eye Guy, That Midget, Omund.....

Many of them I dealt with using my weapons, in President Evil 5 You are locked inside a Furnace with Uroboros and the most elegant way of beating that boss only required one well timed bullet, the only Crappy ones Where The Butcher, Ndesu and That Massive Uroboros near the End, the rest where pretty clever.

In President Evil 6 theres only Two bossess that where Crafted Elegantly, The Last Time you encounter Simmons in Leons Campaign and Cara from Ada's Campaign. I can't go into detail about why they were so good because Spoiling a puzzle is worse than spoiling a plot.

As For Darksiders, You're right, I did hate all that stupid Leveling Up, I put up with it becasuse every now and then they through a lovely puzzle my way.... I loved those dungeons.

#34 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@foxhound_fox

Its better than claiming to know a genre then trying to define it. :p . It shows a willingness to be proven wrong and learning from my mistakes. Lets be honest, Are you just latching on to Dark Souls for personal subjective reasons ? Do you redefine something just to fit your agenda ?

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Its better than claiming to know a genre then trying to define it. :p . It shows a willingness to be proven wrong and learning from my mistakes. Lets be honest, Are you just latching on to Dark Souls for personal subjective reasons ? Do you redefine something just to fit your agenda ?

I have a lot of experience playing the genre and it's one of my favourites. I feel that I have the authority to define the genre and choose the games that fall into the genre.

You just have the ability to spout nonsense about something you know nothing about.

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@foxhound_fox

True... But if Dark Souls becomes Metroidvania then it pretty much opens the door for a bunch of other games to become Metroidvania aswell, pretty much any Semi Open World Action Game becomes Metroidvania... Feel free to tell me I know nothing about the genre And I'l feel free to list as many games as I can that even come close to resembling Dark Souls.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

BTW.... The Best Puzzle Boss is Victor Freeze from Arkham City. I don't think theres anything quite like it.

#38 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18583 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Meh. He was all right. He stood out because he didn't suck that much in a game series known for weak boss fights. Other series have better fights.

#39 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu

True... But there are no better Puzzle Boss Fights, perhaps the final boss from Portal 2 was also pretty damn good.

Reminds of Naruto before The Creep settled in.