Where do you go if you want to buy old and/or rare games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

portej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 portej
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts

Amazon? eBay? Some of the sellers on these sites charge exorbitantly high prices. Anyone know of some good alternatives?

Thank you in advance.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan135
nintendo_fan135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 nintendo_fan135
Member since 2007 • 409 Posts
If you're okay with pre played games you should try your local EB Games. It's possible to get games that are hard to find for twenty dollars or less. I managed to get Rainbow Six 3 and Star Wars Rogue Leader Rogue Squadron 2 for $9.99 this way.
Avatar image for matallicthewolf
matallicthewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 matallicthewolf
Member since 2004 • 815 Posts
EB Games, GameStop, Game Crazy, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Sam's Club, CostCo, Blockbuster all these places work fine.
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts

Amazon? eBay? Some of the sellers on these sites charge exorbitantly high prices. Anyone know of some good alternatives?

Thank you in advance.

portej
Those are your best bets for really rare stuff. Every now and again you'll stumble upon a rare find at EB/Gaemstop. You just gotta look. I found a brand new copy of Final Fanatsy VII at Circuit city for 8 bucks a couple of years ago. Sure it was a greatest hits copy, but even those are going for 60-70 on Ebay.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

http://www.ebgames.com

Its not a catalog for eb, rather a list of what they have in their store.. all the stuff that's left is often older games or rarer games.  I've found a lot there.

http://www.ebay.com

Ebay.... what can I say.

Tking1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 Tking1293
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts
eBay and Amazon are good. I also agree with the people who say to buy them pre-played from EB and Gamestop. You could also try yard sales, not as reliable but probably pretty cheap.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts
Depends how old you're looking for. I browse Ebay for Genesis games, sometimes you can find some great bundles. The cheapassgamer.com forum folk keep track of store clearances on old games and rare offers, you can find some pretty good deals lurking around there.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts
There's a store close to me, Game Exchange I believe. They sell old/rare games, but I've never been inside the store.
Avatar image for hammer_of_thor_
hammer_of_thor_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 hammer_of_thor_
Member since 2007 • 2260 Posts
eBay is definitely your best bet.
X-Faktor0858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 X-Faktor0858
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
EB Games is ur bets bet they sell old pre-played games but they are cheap......or Ebay.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

For a short time it was kind of a hobby of mine to hunt down rare games. As others have said sites EBay will most likely have what you are looking for but be prepared to pay top dollar if you want to win an auction for a highly-sought after game in good condition. I didn't like to buy at EBay though so I'd more often check the store locator at gamespot/ebgames websites. It can often times yield no results or if places have a copy it can be scratched, without instructions, or something like that, but on occasion you'll find a diamond in the rough. I got a copy of Suikoden II that way in about as mint condition as it could possibly be without being brand new -- didn't want to pay the EBay prices so kept on checking those sites and when a store somewhat close to me got a copy, I called to check on the condition and when they said mint, I scooped it up for $50 instead of the $200+ it was going for on Ebay. So while EBay/etc will get you what you want for a price, it doesn't hurt to check the local places as you never know what you'll find (and don't forget to look for hole-in-the-wall stores that don't specialize in games but might have some).

strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts
amazon