When will the next gen of gaming truly start?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

antwon78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 antwon78
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

Just interested on seeing what my fellow gamers think. I'm fortunate to have a PC, Wii U, PS4, and XB1, so I've played lots of games. But as of yet still waiting for the game that's offering something more, something we truly couldn't do before. What do you think those games are?

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

in my mind, it happens every time a developer is able to use their brain to create great games with the available technology. "next-gen" gaming isn't a tangible concept until you see it.

I take tlou and gta5, for example: some truly mediocre and redundant gameplay issues that are simply in a neat package. nothing next gen about them at all.

yet, you can go back and look at all the different games when they came out and see that they were truly "next-gen" and their influences are felt even today.

antwon78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 antwon78

I understand but what I'm asking what games do you think will usher in some off the things we as gamers will feel like could only be achieved because of next gen. Titanfall while very fun and a good game is not next gen.

Is it games like the Witcher, Evolve, Destiny, The Division, No mans sky or any other game be perceived as truly next gen? Or maybe some title we haven't heard of?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

tomorrow, relative to whatever day it is; but seriously, what the hell does next-gen even mean?

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 udUbdaWgz1

@antwon78:

oh, for me, it's undeniably the witcher3. I am hoping it will be everything I was hoping skyrim would be, lol.

truly innovative and creative and new.

plus, with the tech available, I still don't understand why there aren't some great games that incorporate all kinds of different and unique genres, such as, tactical, rts, fps and rpg elements. I see no reason why a rpg can't have different forms of combat for specific instances. or, how about the concept of setting agendas, building clans/cities whatever in a post-main quest rpg landscape?

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

As a console gamer I must concede that if you are looming for something that's never been done before to come from the latest edition of consoles be prepared to be disappointed. Anything these new consoles can do a PC could have done years ago. If you are looking for a new experience look toward either PC or mobile gaming.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

As a console gamer I must concede that if you are looking for something that's never been done before to come from the latest edition of consoles be prepared to be disappointed. Anything these new consoles can do a PC could have done years ago. If you are looking for a new experience look toward either PC or mobile gaming.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

it already has? Titanfall, Mario 3D World and Infamous?

antwon78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 antwon78

Next gen meaning something that's not able to be done on the last gen. And no not something totally original titanfall is a good start because it does take lots from other games and puts it all together in a very familiar way and makes it fun. But just things that can't be experienced on last gen consoles. What games do you think will make us say WOW!!!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

By your definition, I expect it to be Shadow of Mordor(if they really pull off the nemesis idea) or Arkham Knight.

But my definition of the start of the next gen(that is to say, when I start calling next gen systems current gen) is when the current gen systems lose all software support except for shovelware cash grabs(which I understand still goes on for PS2 today?).

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im a console gamer, so it already has begun for me. But for many pc gamers, this gen is dated right now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I'd say that it already has begun with Dead Rising 3, sooooooo many zombies onscreen.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#13 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I think the true next gen will start with The Division, unless the provided footage of it is fake (which is certainly a possibility these days). It looks amazing in both gameplay, graphics and scope.

But if you're looking for a huge jump in technology and graphics I'm afraid those days are behind us; graphics have pretty much reached their pinnacle and only art direction and design will separate the great from the good.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#14 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts
@SovietsUnited said:

But if you're looking for a huge jump in technology and graphics I'm afraid those days are behind us; graphics have pretty much reached their pinnacle and only art direction and design will separate the great from the good.

I'm totally ok with this. Everyone bitching about "next-gen" and "1080" and "60fps" is out of their entitled-minds. Games now a days are amazing. It's like Louis C.K. said, "Everything is AMAZING right now and NOBODY'S HAPPY."

Loading Video...

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Looking back at older consoles it usually takes a year. Super Mario Galaxy, FF VII (OK, 2 years) Gears of War, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, GTA 3, MGS 2, etc. Xbox, N64 and Dreamcast are rare beasts that had mind blowing software, for their time, at launch. Perhaps Destiny, Uncharted 4 and Quantom Break will be those games.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

From my point of view when AAA VR games like "Dark Souls VR" comes out.

We have been playing videogames pretty much the same way for over 40 years now with controllers playing on our monitor.

VR in this time we are living in with 60fps playing on 1080p resolution or higher will truly be next gen gaming.

Here is a little taste of the true next gen of gaming >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngMOngbsdY4

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

From a graphics point of view, Infamous is pretty impressive.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Next-gen doesn't really kick in until about a couple years or so after the new console launches. That's around the time developers really get a feel for how each console operates and notable games start coming out at a solid pace.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

This holiday, maybe.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@jasonredemption said:
@SovietsUnited said:

I'm totally ok with this. Everyone bitching about "next-gen" and "1080" and "60fps" is out of their entitled-minds. Games now a days are amazing. It's like Louis C.K. said, "Everything is AMAZING right now and NOBODY'S HAPPY."

I agree that we all probably do too much complaining, including myself. There are a lot of great gaming experiences to be had right now on many platforms. But, if wanting those experiences to be in 1080p with at least 60 fps...IN 2014... is seen as being entitled, then I say to you good sir...GTFO......just joking about the GTFO part...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

when The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 drop.. CD Projekt Red is leading the true next gen charge

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Late 2015 probably, right now I dont think there are enough exclusives on either Xbox One or PS4 to justify getting one.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I thought this when the xbox360 came out the graphics were better but gameplay was stiill the same as any game on the xbox, it took a little while for game developers to harness the power of the next gen consoles.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Hardware improvement is simply an iterative jump of degrees as to what was possible before. Bigger open worlds, better physics, shorter load times, higher resolutions. You're not going to see any massive distinguishment.

Personally, I think the Rift and Morpheus have the potential to really bring about game changers that will make us sit up and take notice as to what this gen can do. Successful or not, I've no doubt we're nevertheless going to see some amazing shit not too far off.

Imagine playing Alien: Isolation with VR. It will elevate first person gaming to a whole new level and I'm seriously pumped to finally be able to get my hands on this tech, even though it's in its infancy.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

next gen will begin when consoles start doing 4k gaming... so basically not until ps5 comes out in 2020 or whenever... which will be when xbox finally learns how to do 1080p like the rest of us have been doing since the early 2000s on pc.

Its not next gen when the resolution stays exactly the same... if you want next gen, get a pc with a high end video card.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@antwon78: I honestly think that Infamous was the true first next gen title. I would say that personal interaction with the games would be a start. Not so much physical engagement like the Wii but maybe verbal interaction with the on screen characters. We want to feel the gaming experience and not just see it. A full body virtual reality suit that insinuates touching and feeling and smelling would be the true next step in gaming. Pricing is a huge problem and I feel that's the only reason we haven't seen what we seek.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 udUbdaWgz1

@antwon78 said:

Next gen meaning something that's not able to be done on the last gen. And no not something totally original titanfall is a good start because it does take lots from other games and puts it all together in a very familiar way and makes it fun. But just things that can't be experienced on last gen consoles. What games do you think will make us say WOW!!!

your definition is something that immediately came to mind, but, then I realized it fell short for one simple reason: the developers. for me, arguing about stuff like, better graphics, better load times, seamless transitions and the tech stuff is much different than talking about next-gen IDEAS that developers have but can't implement because of tech limitations.

I would argue, who's to know? developers have such a serious lack of innovation in their minds that I can't even judge this question like your comment suggests: "not able to be done on the last gen."

that's why my initial comment talked about next-gen not being a tangible concept and occurring when devs show some damn creativity. yes, there is the tech side of the issue, but, those are just the basic nut and bolts. you can have all the tech in the world and developers will still not make "next-gen" games.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

In a year, when both parties have atleast 50+ games each.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#30 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Diablo-B said:

As a console gamer I must concede that if you are looking for something that's never been done before to come from the latest edition of consoles be prepared to be disappointed. Anything these new consoles can do a PC could have done years ago. If you are looking for a new experience look toward either PC or mobile gaming.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

This gen has already started for me .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#32 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

For consoles : When PS5 comes out .

For PC : When Steam OS becomes bigger and nVIDIA released its Maxwell video cards .

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

When the Witcher 3 hits retail. And maybe The Division if Ubisoft doesn't do to it what it did to Watch Dogs.

sam-jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 sam-jay
Member since 2013 • 68 Posts

" when we start callin' it current gen"

owning a console doesn't mean your in the next gen. if we look back, we realize that the next-gen gaming will actually starts when video game dvlprs make a game that really adds something to gaming world, like a lot of titles did with the previous gens, we cant call it a start of the next gen with fifa14 killzone titanfall.... we all remember the start of 5th or the 6th gen of gaming.... games didn't really show the true capacities of the consoles.. to sum up we should wait give it some time, than we can say the start of it.