When will gaming move beyond a controller and monitor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tuvixian100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tuvixian100
Member since 2005 • 136 Posts

Graphics are getting insanely good but we are still using controllers and monitors which has alot of evolving to do.

I guess most people here have seen the semi-gaming thing that already exists, which reads brain waves in order to move etc..Forgot what its called or i would post the link.

Will the next generation consoles after the PS4 xbox 720 still be monitor and controller? as for that matter... What exactly will come after a monitor and controller???? Anyone any idea????

I presume some sort of headset, don;t know of anything else.. Do you??

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

yeah its called real life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Hopefully never.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Not for a long time hopefully, as the alternatives posed thus far have sucked balls in practice, despite sounding plausible on paper. And the type of idiot such devices attract has shlt taste in games and is generally a hemmorhoid on the industry's ass.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts
Well there's already games being made that don't require a controller with Kinect and if the rumours are true then the next Xbox will come with a new and improved Kinect 2.0 so that could provide more support for controllerless gaming. As for gaming without monitors they've been toying around with head-mounted displays on and off for awhile but I kind of have my doubts about any gaming system ever seriously trying this out. Most likely gaming will follow what ever display system used for other media such as movies etc.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

When Virtual Reality becomes real. Needs to be perfected...not a headache inducing light show of 3D shapes.

Im sure itll happen eventually. Thats been my biggest gaming wish ever.

wgerardi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wgerardi
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

Being a few feet away from an insane 3D gaming setup is basically virtual reality.

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wildcat2000

Being a few feet away from an insane 3D gaming setup is basically virtual reality.wgerardi
Not really. VR would be you (the player) "walking" and interacting inside a CGI world.

3D TVs just make the images pop out.

wgerardi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 wgerardi
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

Whenever I think of virtual reality I usually just think about those giant goggles over your head, while you stand still on a platform with a plastic gun. Which I feel like a 100inch 3DTV and 5.1 is superior to.

But if you're talking about a fully mobile virtual reality that allows you to move freely... that's a whole different can of worms.

virtual-reality-8.jpg

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Hopefully never.

Ovirew

This exactly.

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

When we can jack into the matrix.

So not in our lifetimes. Which is to say, to us, never.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I remember back in 1995, a guy at work told me he was holding off on buying a video game system until they had a full virtual reality sort of thing. Tech like that was "just around the corner" way back then lol.

Stick me in a virtual world that runs at 30 frames per second and ocassionally bogs down to 10...better keep the airsick bag handy I think:lol:

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

When VR becomes viable. I've heard John Carmack of id Software is experimenting with it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Games require input devices to collect data and respond. So there will always be a controller of some sort.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345

Games require input devices to collect data and respond. So there will always be a controller of some sort.skrat_01

Future FPS gaming will probably look like this, only smaller scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQR49JGySTM

I think the next-gen consoles will play a pivotal role in what direction gaming will evolve.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
If gaming ever ditches the controller/monitor model that's the day I stop keeping up with gaming.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Games require input devices to collect data and respond. So there will always be a controller of some sort.nameless12345

I think the next-gen consoles will play a pivotal role in what direction gaming will evolve.

Honestly I don't think that'll happen at all; it's not a consumer friendly product and the amount of money that goes into something like that is huge. And then there's stuff like Software adoption and such. In terms of consumer technology even the likes of the Wii to Move and Kinect can't handle the raw accurate and responsiveness of the input data. FPS gaming wise I have no idea, honestly I think the biggest changes will be smarter multitouch controls and such - traditional FPS controls will still be the mainstay for 'core' shooters, considering controllers are still the standard. What you can expect more realistically is head tracking possibly being more common in shooters (where your head is actually independent from your torso and where your arms are pointing - because in the vast majority of shooters you're actually behaving like a robot). Right now mostly sims and a few shooters use it on the PC - like ArmA 2, it would be interesting to see devs using it with something like the Kinect.
brendan1454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brendan1454
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
If you are a fan of the Xbox kinect then you know that somewhere in the future gaming will be taken to a whole different level including the following, possibly virtual reality, more 3d gaming in different platforms, no controllers again somewhere around the virtual reality portion. Rumors are spreading that there will be a Xbox 720 although it's not completely confirmed there is a possibility that kinect as said by another user in this forum will be improved to the kinect 2.0.
brendan1454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brendan1454
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Also as said by another user the no controllers will always have an input to collect data so hence there will always be a controller.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wildcat2000

But if you're talking about a fully mobile virtual reality that allows you to move freely... that's a whole different can of worms.wgerardi

Thats exactly what I want but like I said perfected.

I dont know how long itll take but I think its safe to assume itll happen one day. Technology evolves all the time.

I dont think anyone can deny that would be awesome if it worked properly.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I hope it stays this way, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

[QUOTE="wgerardi"]But if you're talking about a fully mobile virtual reality that allows you to move freely... that's a whole different can of worms.wildcat2000

Thats exactly what I want but like I said perfected.

I dont know how long itll take but I think its safe to assume itll happen one day. Technology evolves all the time.

I dont think anyone can deny that would be awesome if it worked properly.

This is what I want. You know... minus the whole "perma-death" thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv8u5bY8Now

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Ovirew"]

Hopefully never.

Amster_G

This exactly.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Games require input devices to collect data and respond. So there will always be a controller of some sort.skrat_01

Honestly I don't think that'll happen at all; it's not a consumer friendly product and the amount of money that goes into something like that is huge. And then there's stuff like Software adoption and such. In terms of consumer technology even the likes of the Wii to Move and Kinect can't handle the raw accurate and responsiveness of the input data. FPS gaming wise I have no idea, honestly I think the biggest changes will be smarter multitouch controls and such - traditional FPS controls will still be the mainstay for 'core' shooters, considering controllers are still the standard. What you can expect more realistically is head tracking possibly being more common in shooters (where your head is actually independent from your torso and where your arms are pointing - because in the vast majority of shooters you're actually behaving like a robot). Right now mostly sims and a few shooters use it on the PC - like ArmA 2, it would be interesting to see devs using it with something like the Kinect.

Next-gen systems could feature more accurate motion sensing technology and VR helmets/glasses are getting cheaper (Sony made one that outputs 720p and costs less than a 3DTV). Of course the games would have to be built for it but I can deff. see "VR" become consumer viable in a few years time.

Yes, there were experiments in the past and yes, they have flopped, but truth be told the market wasn't ready yet back then. Now things are starting to change and I think it's the logical evolution gaming will eventually undergo.

The times of traditional control methods are slowly becoming outdated (of course they will still stay around for some time) and gamers will have to adapt to new control schemes.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#25 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Hopefully never.

Ovirew
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Next-gen systems could feature more accurate motion sensing technology and VR helmets/glasses are getting cheaper (Sony made one that outputs 720p and costs less than a 3DTV). Of course the games would have to be built for it but I can deff. see "VR" become consumer viable in a few years time.

Yes, there were experiments in the past and yes, they have flopped, but truth be told the market wasn't ready yet back then. Now things are starting to change and I think it's the logical evolution gaming will eventually undergo.

The times of traditional control methods are slowly becoming outdated (of course they will still stay around for some time) and gamers will have to adapt to new control schemes.

They could but they're mass produced consumer products; the likelihood of anything like that happening is extremely thin, especially considering how even basic 3D technology isn't taking off in the slightest with a mass consumer audience. It'll most likely be more about distribution, in terms of hardware input I can assure you Microsoft will capitalise on the Kinect technology (they R&D for a reason) and who knows what SOny will do. Gamers wont have to adapt, that's ludicrous, especially considering how what you're suggesting can't even accept the genre mainstay of inputs; that's very specific pigeon-holed, enthusiast hardware; at the *most* we will see Carmack's kit become more readily available for consumers/
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Maybe you want to get surgery and have a serial port embedded in your skull so you can play games directly in your brain, but I don't.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#28 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Gaming is built around controllers and monitors. The controller is the symbol of console gaming :P While a similar, obscure device that goes by the name of Kinect came out, it looks more fun in the brochure. I don't see anything wrong with controllers and monitors.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nameless12345

Gaming is built around controllers and monitors. The controller is the symbol of console gaming :P While a similar, obscure device that goes by the name of Kinect came out, it looks more fun in the brochure. I don't see anything wrong with controllers and monitors.Spinnerweb

Kinect is not "obscure", it has already sold more than 10 million units and it's exclusive games sell surprisingly well.

If MS include the next version of Kinect with the next Xbox and sort out it's issues, it may actually become a valid control method for games.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Hopefully never.

ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

I don't want to see the controller and monitor go. I like kicking back in a chair with a drink and a controller too much.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#32 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

Kinect is not "obscure"nameless12345

I know, I was being sarcastic :P

Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

The technology might come, but I don't think it'll too widely used. Plus, I don't particularly like the idea of just sitting idly on the couch controlling my character with brain waves.

araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

When we can jack into the matrix.

So not in our lifetimes. Which is to say, to us, never.

The__Kraken

A bit off-topic, but what the PHOQUE is that in your sig?

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Let's hope never. Do you want to play crappy games like Kinect?

I prefer a controller over motion controls or "headsets".

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#36 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
Well there's already games being made that don't require a controller with Kinect and if the rumours are true then the next Xbox will come with a new and improved Kinect 2.0 so that could provide more support for controllerless gaming. As for gaming without monitors they've been toying around with head-mounted displays on and off for awhile but I kind of have my doubts about any gaming system ever seriously trying this out. Most likely gaming will follow what ever display system used for other media such as movies etc.Archangel3371
Head mounted displays are monitors.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]Gaming is built around controllers and monitors. The controller is the symbol of console gaming :P While a similar, obscure device that goes by the name of Kinect came out, it looks more fun in the brochure. I don't see anything wrong with controllers and monitors.nameless12345

Kinect is not "obscure", it has already sold more than 10 million units and it's exclusive games sell surprisingly well.

If MS include the next version of Kinect with the next Xbox and sort out it's issues, it may actually become a valid control method for games.

It IS obscure when contrasted to the millions of controllers from this generation alone, not to mention the hundreds of millions of controllers from generations prior.

And besides that, it's a piece of trash that doesn't work half the time, so God help us if it does become "valid," because I'm assuming that by "valid" you are saying "responds to inputs without totally fvcking them up," and that's like saying the Hindenberg would've been a great form of mass transit if it didn't have a nasty habit of... crashing and burning.

Sorry, but I just totally do not understand the sect of the gaming community who wants to support a device that fails the fundamental litmus test of a controller. Shlt doesn't work, that's how it is, and there's always someone who's all "Well, if it did work and didn't suck and there were real games for it made for people who like games it would be pretty rad." That's a pipe dream at this point. Pass the pipe, Chief! Tonto want a hit! LOL.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Graphics are getting insanely good but we are still using controllers and monitors which has alot of evolving to do.

I guess most people here have seen the semi-gaming thing that already exists, which reads brain waves in order to move etc..Forgot what its called or i would post the link.

Will the next generation consoles after the PS4 xbox 720 still be monitor and controller? as for that matter... What exactly will come after a monitor and controller???? Anyone any idea????

I presume some sort of headset, don;t know of anything else.. Do you??

tuvixian100
hopefully not in my lifetime....the day motion gaming takes over gaming with controls is the day i stop buying video games.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
if we're lucky.. never.
Adri6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Adri6
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

@ScorpionTroll that makes two of us, especially my keyboards had some bad time when I was hitting and smashing them. :) Back on topic, I think something like this will be popular and available to regular people in a few years time (maybe decade...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

If you want to make it more real, it won't be a game then.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

[QUOTE="Ovirew"]

Hopefully never.

Amster_G

This exactly.