When Will COD's Success Diminish Like That of Tony Hawk's/GH's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

When I ask this question, I mean, when will it really start to lose popularity because of seeing too many sequels in a very short period of time? We've seen what this could do to even some of the best franchises around. Tony Hawk is already at a point where it's probably never going to regain the same level of success that it had during its early days. The same goes for rhythm games like Guitar Hero or Rock Band.

I hope that seeing the success of COD decline in the next few years (maybe in less than a decade from now) will give many other developers, especially ones that weren't very successful in the past, the ability to earn good money, while maintaining high quality products.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

It's not really the amount of sequels that determines a decline, it's the quality of the games. Mind you, COD is primarily a multiplayer based shooter with a short but mindlessly fun campaign - that's a formula that has proven to work and is continuing to work, with no real sign of slowing down any time soon.

I can't speak for GH since I never really play it, but Tony Hawk's games really did hit a brick wall in terms of quality, and the peripherals they tried to incorporate didn't work very well. Also, I believe since the release of Skate, it kinda put the finishing blow on the dying TH series.

Edit: Also just putting it out there, COD appeals to a much more broad audience than TH does, for not that many people play skating games in comparison to shooters. It's the same case with EA, they release yearly installments of each sports game they make, yet they're still successful because they cater to die-hard sports fans.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mawy_Golomb

I agree with you, MadVybz, but doesn't originality also have something to do with making a game succeed? Or at least how well the game stands out from its competitors? If a game developer and its publisher can't work something out to make a game appear different from most of the games in its genre, then how can one expect it to survive for a very long time? Even if the three developers currently working on each COD installment provide a different setting for each game, with some tweaks and improvements to the multiplayer, I don't see how it'll be enough for Activision to keep this up for another decade. By then, especially once the next gen consoles hit, things should change drastically. After all, there's no telling what the competition will throw at Activision.

For the time being, I do see COD doing pretty well, but sometime into the next console gen, I feel like things are going to get a lot tougher for Activision to remain the same. You also have to take into account the fact that the Madden franchise hasn't seen much competition, so it's clearly a monopoly in the football video game market. Also, NFL is extremely popular, so that helps complement this gaming franchise. As for COD, it only has the multiplayer going for its success, nothing more. Comparing Madden to COD is not that fair or accurate, in my opinion.

Yes, it's possible that Tony Hawk lost its success because another game developer came around with the right concept for a skateboarding game, and Neversoft couldn't think of anything new or clever, so this ended up costing Activision big time.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts
Is there really a purpose to these kinds of threads? I mean how is anyone suppose to answer this. Pull a date from a hat?
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mawy_Golomb

Is there really a purpose to these kinds of threads? I mean how is anyone suppose to answer this. Pull a date from a hat?Archangel3371
Well, look at it this way: CODBO was released last year; now CODMW3 will be released soon. If we see a sequel every year, what will that do to the fans? Won't some of them get tired of waiting for COD, instead of looking for a new experience, either with a different IP or genre? How long can this continue?

Just give a rough estimate, based on the success of COD, from its beginning-present.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Is there really a purpose to these kinds of threads? I mean how is anyone suppose to answer this. Pull a date from a hat?Mawy_Golomb

Well, look at it this way: CODBO was released last year; now CODMW3 will be released soon. If we see a sequel every year, what will that do to the fans? Won't some of them get tired of waiting for COD, instead of looking for a new experience, either with a different IP or genre? How long can this continue?

Just give a rough estimate, based on the success of COD, from its beginning-present.

Well I would have figured it would peak at MW2 but BO proved me wrong. Eventually people will move on to something else as nothing is forever but who knows, there's other franchises that have been around a lot longer then CoD that still do very well.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

The only real answer anyone can give you is when either COD games start to lose their flare or when people grow out of shooting things mindless and move on to something else.

I mean, COD is pretty much in the same boat as a sports game now, if you ask me. It's a corporate giant that's released every year to deliver more or less the same experience but with a few tweaks here and there, to keep the tigger-happy shooter fans content.

Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Is there really a purpose to these kinds of threads? I mean how is anyone suppose to answer this. Pull a date from a hat?Archangel3371

Well I would have figured it would peak at MW2 but BO proved me wrong. Eventually people will move on to something else as nothing is forever but who knows, there's other franchises that have been around a lot longer then CoD that still do very well.

Yea but that could be because they haven't been milked to death. For example, COD has only been around since 2003 and has already had more console entries (9, not counting the original on PC) than there have been Zelda console entries (7) in 24 years.

COD: 9 console games in 8 years

Zelda: 7 console games in 24 years

And some people say Nintendo milks their franchises.

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Don't know, but it may diminish after Battlefield 3 and MW3.
spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spliffstar12
Member since 2008 • 1281 Posts
tony hawk died cuz of skate and im pretty sure gh and rock band are still doing good
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I think COD is going to last for a long time. As long as Blizzard's World of Warcraft. There is a massive appeal to these games, and in their own right. I'm not going to tell someone to F-off because they like COD. I happen to enjoy some of the COD campaigns. Multiplayer, not so much though.
KiLKaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KiLKaras
Member since 2011 • 73 Posts
There may be some gamer fatigue so yes i agree that COD may lose some popularity but will still sell loads
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It may never dwindle, because the fanbase that supports it plays it like Apple fans talk about how great their iPhones and iPads are. Its more of a fashion statement to play CoD than it is for the actual gaming experience. So having an updated version every year becomes the "new style" that everyone just HAS to have. But honestly, I give it MW3 and it'll end up just like GH and TH. People will (hopefully) realize that they've been playing the same game for the past 5 iterations, which is basically been the same game for all 8 iterations.