When Do You Drop A Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Or in other words...when do you think it’s OK to drop a game?

I ask this because I’ve been playing Pokémon Crystal on the 3DS for roughly the past month.

At first, it was good to revisit but these past few days there’s been nothing left to do apart from trying to complete the Pokedex (own around 140) and beat Red.

I’ve put around 55 hours into it so far. I completed the Pokédex in Yellow and have been transferring Pokémon from that game over to this gen.

Getting to the point...I want to drop the game badly. It’s become such a chore and because of this I’ve realised that I have grown out of Pokémon games in general. (I haven’t played the 3DS titles.)

The amount of grinding that is involved is painful but I don’t like dropping games.

What should I do? D:

The44Swagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By The44Swagnum
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Myself, I hat dropping games similar to you, but find it acceptable to drop them for several reasons.

• Game is boring/A chore to play
  • The game itself is bad
  • The developers show no signs of support
  • The developer support is horrible/really slow (cough Destiny cough)
  • You've done almost everything and only continue to play to complete some stupid task (like Pokédex completion)

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

'whens it ok'?

when I get bored with it, I play something else. its not a marriage, i can come back anytime I want

diversity of game experience is a good thing, it keeps you from havnig tunnel vision

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3449 Posts

Nothing wrong dropping a game. It's not like you must abide the law or something. You should know that we live in a free world (sort of).

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Putting on your shoulder the pressure of doing everything in a game before you leave it will only burn you.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11655 Posts

@speeny: If you're no longer enjoying the game, why continue?

Personally; can play the same game for a long, long time if it has the replay-value and enjoyable gameplay.

Most the time I "drop the game" when I've had my fill, and that's fine.

Plenty to play. And so long as you've enjoyed what was played? I don't see a downside.

I'm also sometimes a completionist, yet only with my favorite games.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

You should drop a game when you start posting negs about the game on various internet sites.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@the44swagnum: Thanks for your comment but just then I accidentally released a Pokémon holding EXP share. So....after that I’m firm on not touching another Pokemon game. Lol

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

When I’m holding one. Sometimes I get butterfingers.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

Reading the post, it sounds like you've at least beaten the league, so I'd say move on now if you feel like it. The Pokedex and Red are optional.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

When you're already not enjoying it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

I could dissect all the reasons why I'd eventually drop a game, but put simply, when I stop having fun, I immediately stop playing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

Normally I'd say "when it's no longer fun", but as of late the time to drop a game is when the work > joy. I mean...what's the point? WHen I was little and carefree and time passed slowly, I didn't mind investing ten hours in a super complex flight sim (Falcon 4.0, for example) just to learn how to take off lol.

Now, though, I just need my satisfaction quicker. I still appreciate those games that require more work (I even feel guilty for not enjoying them like I used to), but I feel like I work hard outside of my leisure time, I don't want to work hard at my play.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

I drop a game when:

1. When I feel burned out playing video games.

2. When I find a game boring

3. When I have nothing to do with the game anymore after finishing the game or simply saying, the main story of the game since I don't finish games 100%

4. When I got tired playing the same genre of game or the same game over and over.

5. When I feel tired or sleepy.

EnterNations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EnterNations
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

when it is hard

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Normally I'd say "when it's no longer fun", but as of late the time to drop a game is when the work > joy. I mean...what's the point? WHen I was little and carefree and time passed slowly, I didn't mind investing ten hours in a super complex flight sim (Falcon 4.0, for example) just to learn how to take off lol.

Now, though, I just need my satisfaction quicker. I still appreciate those games that require more work (I even feel guilty for not enjoying them like I used to), but I feel like I work hard outside of my leisure time, I don't want to work hard at my play.

Yeah, but the climax is always so much more satisfying when the foreplay is prolonged. ;)

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I don't think much. When I play, I decide what I want to play. Easy as that. As for Pokémon: ig ot bored from Ultra Moon / Sun on island 3, so I just traded the legendarys that came new so I still have all pokémon unlocked and stopped playing there. No need to finish a game that bores me

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#21  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@speeny:

I've only dropped 3 games in my entire life and they were for good reasons.

1. Soul Sacrifice Delta: Great mechanics and stylish art design but it gets repetitive everywhere else. Missions are short, simple and dull and the lack of cutscenes make it feel kinda pointless.

2. Batman Arkham Blackgate: This I keep coming back to, wondering why I don't play it anymore. And then I'm reminded by the game's horrible level design. The gameplay is on a 2D plane but the map is laid out as if to serve a 3D plane. This renders it useless for most of the time and it just confuses you more than help you.

3. Freedom Wars: By this point, I realized that I just don't like monster hunter clones. There's nothing WRONG with it all, really. It's visually appealing and it has an interesting enough back story to keep you invested in it. But there's something dull about it. Aside from what it says it's about, the characters in the game are extremely plain. Plain in design and personality. Nothing anyone says or does is ever interesting or entertaining in the slightest. It just makes the whole adventure hollow.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Why would you keep playing if you're bored of a game? Achievements/completion aside, games are there for fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I really haven't dropped a game in ages I definitely know more what my taste is compared to the 90's and early 00's. Most of the games I use to drop where rentals from Blockbuster mostly NES, Sega, SNES and PSX games I quit the most. Games use to be really hard not that is always a bad thing but after awhile what's the point if you're not having any fun anymore.

Sneonboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sneonboom
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Drop it when you feel like it.