Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I'd like to read different opinions for my own sake anyway. ;)

I had great memories playing mainly Twilight Princess and Wind Waker as a kid. Truthfully though, I've actually grown apart from Wind Waker.

I recently tried replaying it again and it was okay but far too slow for my taste. (Had to do with the sailing aspect I guess.) A game of that scale was amazing back then for sure nevertheless.

As for Twilight Princess...I haven't played it in a long time. I believe people have fairly mixed feelings towards it? I think what was most appealing to me at the time was the more "mature graphics." You can see what I mean coming straight after playing Wind Waker. I also enjoyed riding the horse and turning into the wolf.

I'd say that Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past are my favourites all in all though.

Even though I was late to the party with both as I didn't really grow up in the N64/SNES era...I played Ocarina and A Link to the Past both on the 3DS. Ocarina doesn't age at all in my opinion. A timeless classic. I enjoyed every second of it. Arguably I think there's this simplicity about it that is really nostalgia if that makes any sense. I can't put my finger on it exactly though.

A Link to the Past is just a great game in general...especially the feeling you get when you first go to save the princess, and escaping from the castle through the alleys.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Probably Ocarina of Time, the 3DS remake to be exact. Many of the games that came after (the N64 original) either just didn't fit my interest, tried to focus too much on story, or rely on a weird gimmick I didn't personally enjoy.

OoT just seems to know the scope the developer was going for, and each area made sense from a design perspective. I suppose in many ways Majora's Mask did these elements better, however the remake of M'sM was overall worse than the N64 original due to odd changes, and poor optimisation. And while M'sM is a fun game, it's original release has much to be desired from its older 3D limitations.

Reason I picked the 3DS remake of OoT is also due to the needed fixing with the Water Temple. Which unlike the changes with M'sM made the game the definite edition. It does many other changes to modernise the game for the better as well so for me it's the best Zelda game to date.

I know many think highly of Breath of the Wild. However after beating the final boss couldn't help think it as a very different experience to why I enjoy Zelda games. It had some elements that felt I was playing Animal Crossing. Spent most my time cooking and using up my weaker weapons as it seemed a slot burden, both of which get mundane very quickly. Dungeons are also a bit 'meh'. Can't really state I enjoyed the level design in BotW either. It's still a good game, climbing is cool and reminds me of Dragon's Dogma and Shadow of the Colossus; yet still prefer OoT Remake.

As for the top down games like A Link to the Past and A Link between Worlds. I could never click with these games for whatever reason. I think it's because of the combat, it's a similar reason why I don't play Diablo games much. So it's not a stab at people who enjoy certain design, it's just not gameplay I personally enjoy.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts

Wind Waker. The gameplay was much improved from Ocarina - and the story was much more immersive.

One of the best action adventure games I've ever played.

I still have to get BotW and I'm sure that will be pretty good too.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Having played all the main series games, Majora's Mask is still king for me, and it's my all time favorite game. It's just masterful in every way.

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

Link's Awakening DX on GBC. No seriously, it's amazing.

hraicar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By hraicar
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

a link to the past = best snes game i've played

Dragos2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dragos2002
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

For me is Ocarina of Time

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Wind Waker. I like that it had more platforming-type stuff than the other Zelda games did. Still like the other Zeldas though.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I've only played Link to the Past at the moment but am planning to play Breath of the Wild as soon as I get a Switch. I think I can safely say that will be my favourite even though I plan to play them all. Not sure what the name of the one where you're in a boat is but I think that'll be a close second.

Sorry, I'm not too experienced in Zelda but I'm getting there.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

@speeny: My favorite is Wind Waker, but I think that would change if I played OoT on 3DS. Ocarina had better dungeons, and well more of them, and better pacing, but Wind Waker had more polished gameplay. I suspect the 3DS version would fix this though.

As for Twilight Princess, it's a great game but feels a little too much like Oot. It's almost a remake.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

The Windwaker. The open sea and the change of environment as well as artistic direction felt like a breath of fresh air for the series. I also really liked the tight controls and the side quests that had you searching for hidden treasures

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I've only played a few of them, but I think Wind Waker was my favourite.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@speeny said:

I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I'd like to read different opinions for my own sake anyway. ;)

I had great memories playing mainly Twilight Princess and Wind Waker as a kid. Truthfully though, I've actually grown apart from Wind Waker.

I recently tried replaying it again and it was okay but far too slow for my taste. (Had to do with the sailing aspect I guess.) A game of that scale was amazing back then for sure nevertheless.

As for Twilight Princess...I haven't played it in a long time. I believe people have fairly mixed feelings towards it? I think what was most appealing to me at the time was the more "mature graphics." You can see what I mean coming straight after playing Wind Waker. I also enjoyed riding the horse and turning into the wolf.

I'd say that Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past are my favourites all in all though.

Even though I was late to the party with both as I didn't really grow up in the N64/SNES era...I played Ocarina and A Link to the Past both on the 3DS. Ocarina doesn't age at all in my opinion. A timeless classic. I enjoyed every second of it. Arguably I think there's this simplicity about it that is really nostalgia if that makes any sense. I can't put my finger on it exactly though.

A Link to the Past is just a great game in general...especially the feeling you get when you first go to save the princess, and escaping from the castle through the alleys.

Never played a Zelda game so do not have a favourite and the few times I tried out the newest, I have to say it´s not a game I am dying to try again.

But i have heard that some of the previous games far out does the newest, so perhaps i should begin with those.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RSM-HQ

@Jacanuk:

I tried out the newest, I have to say it´s not a game I am dying to try again

Personally don't blame you_

I found Breath of the Wild a bit too focused on cooking and weapon fatigue for its own good personally, taken some elements from Animal Crossing and not sure I like it. While previous Zelda games are primarily about the quests and dungeons.

The combat and climbing are excellent in BotW, but I do think it's missing some of the charm from previous titles, as the new Zelda centred to be closer to the already overbearing sandbox genre.

A genre I personally don't care for.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Original, one of the best games every made.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Ocarina, with TP close behind it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk

@RSM-HQ said:

@Jacanuk:

I tried out the newest, I have to say it´s not a game I am dying to try again

Personally don't blame you_

I found Breath of the Wild a bit too focused on cooking and weapon fatigue for its own good personally, taken some elements from Animal Crossing and not sure I like it. While previous Zelda games are primarily about the quests and dungeons.

The combat and climbing are excellent in BotW, but I do think it's missing some of the charm from previous titles, as the new Zelda centred to be closer to the already overbearing sandbox genre.

A genre I personally don't care for.

Yep, i am not sure how it managed to get GOTY and a 10 on reviews, but I guess if you grew up with the franchise, the novelty factor rules.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RSM-HQ

@Jacanuk: I have to disagree with that assumption. A lot of Zelda games are really good. However, I think a lot of GotY winners tend to be sandbox games in western media, take Shadow of Mordor for example. That won GS GotY 2014 despite clearly being an inferior overall game to Bayonetta 2 which came out the same year, and was also universally scored higher.

I think many media outlets and websites just favor open world games. It's why you'll see Fallout 4 win some GotY awards, and not so many for something like D00M IV. Which is clearly the superior overall game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@RSM-HQ said:

@Jacanuk: I have to disagree with that assumption. A lot of Zelda games are really good. However, I think a lot of GotY winners tend to be sandbox games in western media, take Shadow of Mordor for example. That won GS GotY 2014 despite clearly being an inferior overall game to Bayonetta 2 which came out the same year, and was also universally scored higher.

I think many media outlets and websites just favor open world games. It's why you'll see Fallout 4 win some GotY awards, and not so many for something like D00M IV. Which is clearly the superior overall game.

Hmm, not sure I can agree there. Following Gamespot's GOTY of the year, they favour Nintendo games, even made a 3DS game a GOTY one year, despite it having a limited reach and almost no one outside the core fanbase had played it.

But you may be right that open world games score higher though i have not noticed that trend.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Wind waker then Breath of the Wild for me. I got lost in those worlds.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

OoT and WW for me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RSM-HQ

@Jacanuk:3DS is a great handheld so I don't mind a 3DS game winning GotY. If the games great is deserves to be praised for what it achieves.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

For me it was Wind Waker on the WiiU. Loved it a lot. Even though I'm in the generation who played the golden cartridge when it came out on the NES it never really interested me until I played that game on the WiiU.

The other Zelda that I liked were : The original golden NES cartridge, a link to the past and a link between world. I also just bought a Switch with Breath Of The Wild and it remind me a lot of the original NES game.

Jesus4us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jesus4us
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

Breathe of the Wild is by far my favorite LotZ game of the century, not to brag. But I'm being honest.

KrispyKookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27 KrispyKookie
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Twilight Princess is my favorite. Idk I just get really nostalgic when I play it and I’m never bored when doing so.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

The original on nes or twilight princess, I havn't had a chance to play Botw

Avatar image for deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
deactivated-5b01abbec19e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
Member since 2018 • 104 Posts

I've played OOT3D, TP, SS, BOTW and ALBW. TP and OOT3D are god tier.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Wind Waker. It had it all. Gameplay, graphics, story, characters. It oozes with charm and general awesomeness. Also loved the sailing, which lots of people hate.

The ONLY negative thing I have to say about it is that is was a bit too easy. Wii U version fixed that though. Too bad they kinda fucked up its graphics. I understand Nintendo not being very experienced in making HD games, but to blow up the bloom effect to 10 times the needed amount is such a noob mistake.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Recently been playing A Link Between Worlds.... Love it. Classic Zelda feel but on crack

Bobalob00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bobalob00
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

OoT, I have replayed this so many times and not fed up of it. Also Twilight Princess is one of my favs :)