What's your definition of a Hardcore Gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Is it someone who plays with addictive features like WOW or EQII players?
Someone who devotes thier life to gaming such as taking vacation just to play a COD marathon?
How about the kids who have lost thier jobs and loved ones to gaming?
Or, someone like most of us-presumably. Takes an hour our more a day to stay on top of the latest and greatest game articles, hardwares and of course gets as much time in as he or her can before bedtime and work tomorrow?

What do you think? What makes someone a Hardcore gamer?

appletsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 appletsauce
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts

I think of them as someone who plays a lot, possibly really good at a few hard games that lots of other people have trouble with. Someone you'd go to if you were having trouble finishing a game.

Also, those people who take the time to make those extensive playthroughs on Gamefaqs and such sites. That takes devotion.

icy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 icy06
Member since 2005 • 727 Posts

My definition would be someone who spends more than 2 hrs per day gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac9265b442af
deactivated-5ac9265b442af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ac9265b442af
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
You are a hardcore gamer if you know what PWNAGE means.
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xsan3

Persoanlly I think there are varieties of catergories of gamers.

Game enthusiasts

Addicted Gamers

Hardcore Gamers - should include console and PC gamers. Basically Games of all Genre's

Casual Gamers

Console gamers

PC Gamers

PopCap Gamers

Simmers-lol

eyko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eyko
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

It doesn't help that everyone's definitions are different, I consider myself a casual gamer, but a casual gamer as usually defined now-a-days makes me look hardcore.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

One part great passion for gaming, most parts nothing better to do.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Honestly it doesnt matter how much you play or what games you spend your time with or how much you know. You can be casual with 50 hours a week just as much as you can with 5 or less.

It goes deeper than just having a controller in your hand. Its mental and emotional just as much as it is physical. Its thinking about games more than you play and wishing that the "perfect game" scenario you run through your head on a daily basis was a reality.

I often sit ....idle...for hours amongst my containers of games and shelves of cases just trying to decide what to play. Sometimes i dont even want to play a game but it feels genuinely odd to not be at least trying to play something if i have nothing else to do.

Its like the controller is an extension of myself and without it being connected to something the hands dont know what to do.

It is both pathetic and fascinating at the same time.

Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

Well, I'd say that a "Core" gamer is someone who enjoys playing videogames and does so on a consistent basis. I'd also say that they'd have some knowledge about the industry itself and what's currently going on. It's like a strong passion that makes it hard to give up.

sense_b12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 sense_b12
Member since 2009 • 194 Posts

Well, I'd say that a "Core" gamer is someone who enjoys playing videogames and does so on a consistent basis. I'd also say that they'd have some knowledge about the industry itself and what's currently going on. It's like a strong passion that makes it hard to give up.

Dragonblade01

ditto

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
id say that defining characteristic of a hardcore gamer is that gaming a primary hobby of theirs. vague, sure, but thats as definitive as could come up with.
spy2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 spy2828
Member since 2008 • 656 Posts

Hardcore is gamer who spend more than 3 hours/per day playing games (most of the times the latest ones)

Also a Hardcore gamer has better skills (in games) than an everyday man.

For Me Hardcore Gamer = PC

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xsan3

It goes deeper than just having a controller in your hand. Its mental and emotional just as much as it is physical. Its thinking about games more than you play and wishing that the "perfect game" scenario you run through your head on a daily basis was a reality.

Alter_Echo

Very interesting statement. I agree with you. It's an emotional / passion, if you will about gaming. I suppose, sure - I could have dropped a lot of moneyand time on one game at an arcade - the equivilence to PacMan back in the day. Those folks don't really play games or care about anything of today about true gaming life, they just happened to like a video game - Once.

nightcall14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 nightcall14
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts

My definition would be someone who spends more than 2 hrs per day gaming.

icy06
that would make me a hardcore gamer.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Well you can't really draw a firm line between being a casual or a hardcore gamer like saying when each grain of sand added becomes a pile but my definition would be someone who takes gaming as a hobby: buying gaming magazines, browsing the websites, playing for large periods of time, playing online, taking it seriously, etc.

HarDcore_RpG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HarDcore_RpG
Member since 2008 • 546 Posts

me

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

A combination of these things.

Someone who doesn't dismiss any console in a fanboyish manner

Someone who enjoys many genres, and doesn't care what the ESRB rating is on the game

Someone who enjoys legacy games in addition to new games

Someone that keeps up to date with all things gaming

Someone who will try niche, underrated games that the mainstream will never see

Someone that actually cares about the team making the game

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts

Honestly it doesnt matter how much you play or what games you spend your time with or how much you know. You can be casual with 50 hours a week just as much as you can with 5 or less.

I often sit ....idle...for hours amongst my containers of games and shelves of cases just trying to decide what to play. Sometimes i dont even want to play a game but it feels genuinely odd to not be at least trying to play something if i have nothing else to do.

Its like the controller is an extension of myself and without it being connected to something the hands dont know what to do.

It is both pathetic and fascinating at the same time.

Alter_Echo
I feel the exact same way. I find myself not knowing what to play, but play anyways because it feels odd not playing.
digi_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 digi_matrix
Member since 2004 • 6600 Posts
People who play RPGs. For that, you need to be completely immersed into the levelling up and maths. It's hardcore. I'm not too much into it, even though I've played most good WRPGs. Now, casual games are like the shooters. Everyone plays them, all you need is some hand-eye coordination, but not much strategy.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

People who play RPGs. For that, you need to be completely immersed into the levelling up and maths. It's hardcore. I'm not too much into it, even though I've played most good WRPGs. Now, casual games are like the shooters. Everyone plays them, all you need is some hand-eye coordination, but not much strategy. digi_matrix

Not true

Also you don't have to play RPGs to be hardcore. That's stupid. I've played RPGs. Final Fantasy, Mario RPGs, old Enix RPGs, and a few WRPGs like Dungeon Seige, and WoW, and KoToR. You can totally immerse yourself in other genres, and it doesn't require you immerse yourself in RPGs to play through them.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xsan3

me

HarDcore_RpG

YEs, anyone who would name themselves Hardcore - anything would be considered, well, hardcore :D

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

When it starts to distract your personal life and make up excuses to not go out, I say that's pretty obsessively hardcore.

Playing 2+ hours every night doesn't seem hardcore at all. I play 3-4 at night simply because TV is boring and doesn't interest me.

Golden_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Golden_Max
Member since 2006 • 228 Posts

All of the above and everything after.

StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#24 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

Someone who play a lot of games, most of the time.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
A hardcore gamer is someone who dedicates a good chunk of their life to gaming. They'll play for hours upon hours. You'll let gaming take priority over having friends because you just don't give a damn. Let's face it, your friends probably aren't as hardcore as you when it comes to video games since being hardcore is a rarity. A hardcore gamer has dedicated hours to most of his games and he or she isn't going to let anyone get in the way of obtaining those uber treasures in a MMORPG,getting 1000 more achievement points, or defeating a final boss he has been stuck on for a while. This gamer is hardcore and is greatly skilled in the realm of video games and is probably proud of it. Maybe this hardcore gamer is obsessive, doesn't have many to no friends at all, or doesn't care much about anything else. But, I assure you he has passion... A passion for gaming which is better than having no passion at all.
Avatar image for Joystick_n_hand
Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Joystick_n_hand
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts

I pondered this question and desired definitive definitions...so I made my own. Check it...

TYPES of GAMERS

olrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 olrion
Member since 2005 • 457 Posts

Is it someone who plays with addictive features like WOW or EQII players?
Someone who devotes thier life to gaming such as taking vacation just to play a COD marathon?
How about the kids who have lost thier jobs and loved ones to gaming?
Or, someone like most of us-presumably. Takes an hour our more a day to stay on top of the latest and greatest game articles, hardwares and of course gets as much time in as he or her can before bedtime and work tomorrow?

What do you think? What makes someone a Hardcore gamer?

Xsan3

I think the title goes to people who have lost something because of their obsession. Whether it be friends, a job or a partner. I think if you are willing to choose your games over social interaction you are pretty hardcore. I am more of a casual gamer but I confess I have wanted to bunk days off work just so I can continue playing games. When I get bored at work all I tend to think about is what game I am going to play when I get home.