What’s up with Heavy Rain and Until Dawn?

#1 Posted by Gtwerge8080 (52 posts) -

Both of these games rely on quick-reaction-button-pressing (at random, like Dance Dance Revolution), from anything from climbing up a mine shaft to combating snow demons to fighting off perpetrators after a naked steamy shower.

Random button sequences when doing something like climbing a wall? WTF is this?

Also, the degree with which Heavy Rain is a movie, with minimal participatory action from players is bizarre. That’s not a video game, IMO.

And, in general, all this cut-scene BS is getting on my nerves. It’s like: that thing in our hands while playing... is called a CONTROLLER. It’s not called a movie remote.

#2 Posted by henrythefifth (1734 posts) -

I agree to a degree. There are sections in Heavy Rain, tho, where you do get to play. Like in the investigation scenes.

What I disliked about Heavy Rain was the horrible dialogue that was both badly written and badly voice acted. And the story was just copied from various serial killer horror movies, most notably SAW movies.

Huge disappointment, and I cannot honestly see why it was so well received back in the day. For even that era, the voice acting and dialogue are really really bad all thru.

#3 Posted by JoshRMeyer (9946 posts) -

Until Dawn was great... That's the type of game it's made to be. It's like arguing why people like playing car racing Sims with a controller from a outside of the car view. It had a good story and suspenseful moments, that just pressing a button was actually enjoyable. The game also had many different paths to choose from resulting in different stories and different endings. I haven't played heavy rain for more than a few minutes so I can't say much about that game.

#4 Edited by Johndmgs (275 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:

I agree to a degree. There are sections in Heavy Rain, tho, where you do get to play. Like in the investigation scenes.

What I disliked about Heavy Rain was the horrible dialogue that was both badly written and badly voice acted. And the story was just copied from various serial killer horror movies, most notably SAW movies.

Huge disappointment, and I cannot honestly see why it was so well received back in the day. For even that era, the voice acting and dialogue are really really bad all thru.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain at the time but looking back now, it doesn't really hold up. I can remember thinking it was a masterpiece when I first played it but I can see what people mean about the acting being bad. That's a good point about the horror movies. I was thinking parts felt kind of like Saw myself.

#5 Posted by warmblur (751 posts) -

These games are definitely not for everybody I personally enjoy these kind of titles. Until Dawn is one of my favorite games this gen along with Detroit become human. For me it's a nice change of the traditional gaming and it feels like you're playing a movie.

#6 Posted by Ish_basic (4895 posts) -

There are a lot of ways to make a game. People love to label genres that deviate from their preference as "not games", but that just makes you sound like grandpa. "What? you call that music?!"

I don't like sports games, so I don't play sports games. I don't post on internet forums asking "why do people make sports games? wtf is this?!" I don't know why you take it as a personal affront that there are companies out there actually making stuff you don't like, but it's okay. Calm down and play something else.

#7 Posted by Macutchi (6298 posts) -

i'm "playing" detroit become human at the minute and i'm struggling a bit with the volume of controller interactions asked of the player.

it's a constant move this stick, hold this button down, tilt the pad left, stand on one hand, scratch your arse... at one point i got so fed up i stopped following the on screen prompts. unfortunately not fulfilling the qte i chose to ignore resulted in my android dying. and it had played a key part in the story up to that point. and there's unfortunately no ability to undo what i had or hadn't done so i was stuck with the consequence.

but, despite that, there's so much to be impressed by in the game. the presentation is impeccable across the board. the story is engaging and intriguing. and there's plenty of twists in the tale, whether explicitly planned by the game or as a result of player incompetence, as in the case above.

so, in short, titles like these can get a bit frustrating, even for someone like me who enjoys these titles occasionally. and i knew what i was letting myself in for having done my research prior to purchasing, unlike the op it sounds

#8 Posted by Blueresident87 (5806 posts) -

If you don't like these types of games, don't play them. It's obvious when a game is made to be presented like this, and the two you specifically pointed out did not hide from what they are, although Heavy Rain was poorly done I would say.

Until Dawn is one of the best experiences I've ever had playing a video game. Just a great time.

#9 Posted by Clefdefa (605 posts) -

Those are called quick time event and those are around for a long time.

Many games did use them like God Of War and Resident Evil 4 or Naruto Shippuden.

Games like Heavy Rain, Tell Tales games, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Becomes Human etc remind me a lot of old point and clic game like Freddy Fish, Kings Quest,Space Quest etc

#10 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24108 posts) -

I still have Heavy Rain for the PS3. But, I can't stand the Six-Axis crap that was implemented in the game. Perhaps, if they had button equivalents (like with Alan Wake), I might play it more.

#11 Posted by Planeforger (17716 posts) -

My biggest problem with Until Dawn isn't the QTEs (which aren't anything new - games have been using those for decades)... it's the terrible plot and unlikable characters.

The plot twists alternated between predictable and astonishingly stupid, and I didn't find anything endearing about the main cast, which made the QTEs feel worse than they actually were.

I probably would have enjoyed the mindless button presses more if I had any reason to keep the main characters alive.

#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41846 posts) -

Fun fact: not everyone has to like something.

Even funner fact: not everything fits into your preconceived notions of what ____________ should be in order to be ________________.

I completely agree with your complaints about quick-time events, lengthy and frequent cinematics, and the general feeling of "movie-games". But some people enjoy them, and it doesn't make them any less of a game.

Some people criticize "walking simulators" for being nothing but exactly that (walking games), but I found Firewatch and other games in the same vein to be very enjoyable, relaxing, and so forth.

As the saying goes, it takes all kinds.

#13 Posted by Blueresident87 (5806 posts) -

@clefdefa: They also remind me so much of those Sierra games.

#14 Posted by Gtwerge8080 (52 posts) -

Alright, folks, I actually do hope every gamer/person is happy at night.

Now, gab got said that (and sorry now you have to suck it up), certain games are not games... they are QTE experiences with one or (oops) more endings like Until Dawn.

I hate to say it but those were not Video Games. They were movies, where I had to press the right buttons.

#15 Posted by SoNin360 (6890 posts) -

Pretty close-minded to dismiss them as video games whether you like them or not. Movies have no interaction between the viewer. I don't care if it doesn't have traditional gameplay, you're still controlling the progress of the game to some degree.

Obviously, not everyone has to like these kinds of games. But they are a part of the many types of video games there are out there. There's so much else to play and getting so caught up on one thing you don't like is just a waste of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
#16 Posted by deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b (191 posts) -

I take it you don't like Visual Novels, either.

#17 Edited by Needhealing (1876 posts) -

The definition of a video game is interactive entertainment. In that case, Heavy Rain is a videogame.People have to understand that there are different levels of interaction in the medium. This requires less, but still has its share of gameplay. Also, what would you classify it as then? It isn't a movie because it's interactive.

Anyhow. I loved Heavy Rain and Until Dawn. However, I recognize these games aren't for everyone. Yet, they sell really well so they have a market.