What's the quintessential example of "hard but fair"?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

What for you, as per title suggests is the quintessential example of "hard but fair".

I was playing Revenge Of The Shinobi today, and the game purposefully sets it up so you jump into enemies or get hit by unpredictable projectiles or enemies that bum rush you from nowhere. Basically alot of "you have to play it multiple times to know", the worst kind of difficulty. It would be incredibly frustrating without the rewind feature.

Then After booting up Shinobi 3 (both of these are labeled as 3) the difference was night and a day, a hard, but generally fair game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cad308c20fc4
deactivated-5cad308c20fc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5cad308c20fc4
Member since 2018 • 51 Posts

DKC Series

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

PUBG. The immersion is brilliant. There’s no music in game and the ambiance keeps you on the edge of your seat.

But to win - is friggin’ hard. I haven’t won a match yet after casually playing since the Xbox One launch (I’ve come in second many times), but I don’t regret my time with it at all. It’s insanely fun! I’ll get a win...some day.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Basically any Mega Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Battlefield 2

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Could name a few examples. The issue is I've seen a few be deemed 'cheap' here on GD. Because some players don't enjoy making mistakes and getting killed for it with that mental sense of deceit, many Gamers commonly blame games before themselves. Despite game-overs being a common aspect in gaming.

In my view, if a game gives one the ability to respond correctly, has visual awareness of threat, doesn't suffer from RNG, or discreet progression; that is good game design towards a challenging experience 'tough, but fair'

Can't always blame the Leeroy Jenkins for your own mistakes. Sometimes a game is challenging and the player came ill prepared.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

F-Zero. It's hard af, but rewards players who learn the track layouts. Not many humans can handle it though, kinda like pod racing.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Well Ninja Gaiden Black would definitely be one that I’d mention.

K-Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 K-Real
Member since 2019 • 31 Posts

Possibly the most common answer for today's age would be Dark Souls... I only played the 3rd one, but despite its difficulty, you will become better at knowing when to dodge, what to interact with and other niches in the game.

Battle Brothers is also a great choice, but you can argue that RNG components in this game can be "unfair". Yet, the fun is to improve your character's stats, their equipment and so forth.

Crash Bandicoot Insane Trilogy also offers good platforming challenges that start off easy, but progressively get harder, but still fair in my view. I love the game for its style of "show, don't tell" when it comes down to show new mechanics, interactions and challenges.

Divinity Origin Sin 2 is a difficult game, but damn is it fun to learn it. I played on normal difficulty and will have to admit that there are good challenging, but rewarding fights. However, if you are not fan of exploring a wide range of mechanics, spells, and interactions then I wouldn't recommend it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Hotline Miami 1 leaps to mind. Once you learn the level layouts and adopt a more reckless play style, you'll wonder how you ever died playing it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think Into the Breach is a good example from another genre. It can be tough as nails, but there's always a way to minimize losses if you think hard enough. And every team plays so differently that there is a ton to master

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Have to concede that sometimes dev limitations lead to experiences that can feel unfair but are more a result of working within financial or technical boundaries. Like old Street Fighter games where M. Bison would be walking right at you, then suddenly rip off a psycho-crusher...sure, it's BS, but not a lot you can do to really keep the sp challenging in the SNES days, so it's more an idiosyncrasy of the era that I just shrug off if i'm playing or thinking back to those games.

So intent and capability are really the central factors to me with respect to what is fair. For example, I remember in Gears of War 2, this boss with these pillars that would collapse, and I couldn't figure out how they kept hitting. Then I decided to just look straight up as one was falling and I watched as it, acted on by no other force, violated basic laws of physics and changed direction in mid-air to match my movement. Awesome. It wasn't a hard fight, but I feel it's a great example of something that's not fair. You know human beings will expect the physics within a game to react in a fashion that is basically consistent with real world experience, and here you are, Epic, hoping no one will look up, pulling some shit like that to make your boss fight a little harder.

An example of capability is if you're playing a game by, say Ubisoft, that you know has millions of dollars to invest into a product, and they pull some NES era BS on you like enemies that are immune to damage/control effects or have unblockable attacks. Lame shortcuts to create difficulty by a company that has more than enough money to do better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Every Souls game

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

Yes. Ninja Gaiden Black.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

Soulsborne games

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Resident Evil 1 and 2 (the original on PSOne)

Mega Man series

Crash Bandicoot

Dark Souls

Bloodborne

Meatboy

KuroMath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KuroMath
Member since 2019 • 9 Posts

Rance 10, a turn based game, is goddamn well balanced. Changing little things can make you win a battle you kept losing.

Monster Hunter is the best boss based game I know.

Other than that, I guess pretty much any game with some bullet hell mechanics, like Furi or touhou.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@uninspiredcup: the answer is boarding school.

PS. The replay feature should not have been included. Being annoyed is what separates the men from the boys. You dig deep and start again or admit that game > you.

If it's shoddily programmed or designed then there's no shame in moving on.

The other answer is Super Crate Box.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Ori comes to mind for me... challenging enough without ever being frustrating.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#20 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I was going to say the New Super Mario Bros. games but naah...

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

genesis did have a few of these probably more than any other console in some ways....

I think Metroid games are sorta tending to be in this arena a bit.