What's the best story game you've ever played?

  • 145 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#101 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43050 posts) -

Elite: Dangerous and EVE Online, both space sims interestingly enough, have some pretty interesting emergent and player-created/driven stories to them. Corporate takeovers, escorts of rebel leaders, mass exodus of exploration ships...it's pretty crazy what can stem from a little role-playing and a bit of crazy :D

Avatar image for Byshop
#102 Posted by Byshop (19397 posts) -

@steve5xg: TLoU is definitely up there in terms of best story game of all time. Alan Wake is another one I'd rank pretty highly. Pretty much every Telltale game I've played since the first Walking Dead game was pretty solid. Life is Strange was also great. The Mass Effect series was pretty epic right up until the end.

-Byshop

Avatar image for steve5xg
#103 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@sarahrosario said:
@steve5xg said:
@sarahrosario said:

When it comes to story then I would say that assassin's creed is one of the best story game

And what's your opinion about the movie with Michael Fassbender?

@evmost95 said:

In my opinion the best game with a story I've ever played is easily Zelda: Ocarina of Time hands down.

One of my Top 3 (might be the top one, indeed).

I dont have any about that

I though you would see the movie, just because you likethe video game. But well, actually me neither.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#104 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Elite: Dangerous and EVE Online, both space sims interestingly enough, have some pretty interesting emergent and player-created/driven stories to them. Corporate takeovers, escorts of rebel leaders, mass exodus of exploration ships...it's pretty crazy what can stem from a little role-playing and a bit of crazy :D

And that's what I love RPGs son badly :)

@Byshop said:

@steve5xg: TLoU is definitely up there in terms of best story game of all time. Alan Wake is another one I'd rank pretty highly. Pretty much every Telltale game I've played since the first Walking Dead game was pretty solid. Life is Strange was also great. The Mass Effect series was pretty epic right up until the end.

-Byshop

Have to say that most of the things about Walking Dead that I like are about comics. Indeed, I stopped watching the TV Serie because I found characters so boring. But I must admit killing zombies in the video game is such amazing haha :) BTW: Alan Wake is simply brilliant, totally agree with you.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#105 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@danielpacheco said:

Hey how about Anima series?

If you´re an Anima: Beyond the fantasy geek, you must love the games that has been released.

Anima: Gate of memories and Anima: The Nameless chronicles have really nice stories... of course if you like the roleplay book Anima.

Loading Video...

Ok, I see the trailer and looks pretty cool. Sounds like it's going to be my next RPG adquisition.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#106 Posted by robert_sparkes (2337 posts) -

Halo 1-4 were pretty good 5 not so much on the story front. I've been interested in going through the gears games and while they are far from great with the story it's been an interesting experience.

Avatar image for Peasly
#107 Edited by Peasly (249 posts) -

The Witcher 3 and Horizon Dawn.

Found RDR2 too much. Got Open World fatigue from this..

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#108 Posted by robert_sparkes (2337 posts) -

Reminds me i need to get to the witcher 3. Played a bit of 2 but never finished it and that puts me off slightly.

Avatar image for Diddies
#110 Posted by Diddies (2325 posts) -

The Last of Us is my favorite in terms of story. I also like the Uncharted series as well.

Avatar image for mastermetal777
#111 Posted by mastermetal777 (3220 posts) -

Oh wow, okay. I love story games, so this list may be a little long. In no particular order:

  • The Last of Us (Left Behind included)
  • Red Dead Redemption (haven't finished 2 yet)
  • God of War (PS4)
  • Mass Effect series (until the end of 3)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt + both DLCs
  • SOMA
  • Life is Strange
  • Detroit: Become Human (Connor is bae)
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Persona 4 & 5
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Dragon Age: Origins and Inquisition
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn (Aloy is bae)
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • L.A. Noire

I could keep going, but there's just too many to list.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#112 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@robert_sparkes said:

Halo 1-4 were pretty good 5 not so much on the story front. I've been interested in going through the gears games and while they are far from great with the story it's been an interesting experience.

You mean Gears of War, don't you? Love the last one, story behind is pretty awesome and so the gameplay. Halo is always a good choice, but for me its story is not as interesting as its gameplay.

@Peasly said:

The Witcher 3 and Horizon Dawn.

Found RDR2 too much. Got Open World fatigue from this..

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm getting tired of open world for a while. But RDR2 is wonderfull.

@robert_sparkes said:

Reminds me i need to get to the witcher 3. Played a bit of 2 but never finished it and that puts me off slightly.

You have to play it! For me is the best of The Witcher.

@Diddies said:

The Last of Us is my favorite in terms of story. I also like the Uncharted series as well.

Yeah, really good choices!

@mastermetal777 said:

Oh wow, okay. I love story games, so this list may be a little long. In no particular order:

  • The Last of Us (Left Behind included)
  • Red Dead Redemption (haven't finished 2 yet)
  • God of War (PS4)
  • Mass Effect series (until the end of 3)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt + both DLCs
  • SOMA
  • Life is Strange
  • Detroit: Become Human (Connor is bae)
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Persona 4 & 5
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Dragon Age: Origins and Inquisition
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn (Aloy is bae)
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • L.A. Noire

I could keep going, but there's just too many to list.

And your list is really nice! I love Silent Hill series. The story blows my mind. It's so creepy and terrific! I only miss a few games on your list, like Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII, but it's fine!

Avatar image for danielpacheco
#113 Posted by danielpacheco (150 posts) -
@steve5xg said:
@danielpacheco said:

Hey how about Anima series?

If you´re an Anima: Beyond the fantasy geek, you must love the games that has been released.

Anima: Gate of memories and Anima: The Nameless chronicles have really nice stories... of course if you like the roleplay book Anima.

Ok, I see the trailer and looks pretty cool. Sounds like it's going to be my next RPG adquisition.

I have to warn you that Anima is more action than RPG... of course has a lot of RPG elements, but If you are a clasical RPG player, anima will be not a good choice.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#114 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@danielpacheco said:
@steve5xg said:

Ok, I see the trailer and looks pretty cool. Sounds like it's going to be my next RPG adquisition.

I have to warn you that Anima is more action than RPG... of course has a lot of RPG elements, but If you are a clasical RPG player, anima will be not a good choice.

Well, I am not the classical RPG player, just a current RPG gamer. It's good to try it, even if it's not my kind of game.

Avatar image for Litchie
#115 Edited by Litchie (23092 posts) -

Zelda: OoT
Zelda: Wind Waker
Mafia
Psychonauts

Those comes to mind. I usually don't pay much attention to the story in videogames and get annoyed easily when the game really wants me to, but those games above are some of the ones that I really enjoyed and still remember.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#116 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@Litchie said:

Zelda: OoT

Zelda: Wind Waker

Mafia

Psychonauts

Those comes to mind. I usually don't pay much attention to the story in videogames and get annoyed easily when the game really wants me to, but those games above are some of the ones that I really enjoyed and still remember.

Well, Zelda video games are for me one of the best stories ever. OoT is simply brilliant, can't say how many hours I've already spent playing it.

Avatar image for grizlzycapybara
#117 Posted by GrizlzyCapybara (26 posts) -

Singleplayer: The Witcher series has the best story ever imo.

Multiplayer: RF Online revolves around solid storytelling although its quests kinda grindy. Started on Zucker recently and almost completed a story line.

Avatar image for cyborg_says
#118 Posted by Cyborg_says (6 posts) -

As mentioned before: Uncharted 4.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#120 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@grizlzycapybara said:

Singleplayer: The Witcher series has the best story ever imo.

Multiplayer: RF Online revolves around solid storytelling although its quests kinda grindy. Started on Zucker recently and almost completed a story line.

Maybe it's because I don't usually play MMO games, but I'ts hardly difficult for me to find a good storyline in these kind of video games. I never played RF Online, just took a look at the gameplay in YouTube and I found it interesting.

@cyborg_says said:

As mentioned before: Uncharted 4.

Better than Uncharted saga: Alan Wake. What's your point?

Avatar image for steve5xg
#122 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Elite: Dangerous and EVE Online, both space sims interestingly enough, have some pretty interesting emergent and player-created/driven stories to them. Corporate takeovers, escorts of rebel leaders, mass exodus of exploration ships...it's pretty crazy what can stem from a little role-playing and a bit of crazy :D

Never played Elite: Dangerous. I just watched the gameplay in YouTube and have to say its HUD is awesome, not only the colour palette but also the UI. I like all the possibilities you talk about, so I'll give it a try!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for cyborg_says
#123 Edited by Cyborg_says (6 posts) -

@steve5xg: I really enjoyed all the Uncharted Games, but in my opinion Uncharted 4 has the best story. Alan Wake is a pretty interesting game too, but only the first one. Alan Wake's American Nightmare is in my opinion quite boring.

Avatar image for journey_951
#124 Posted by Journey_951 (25 posts) -

The Last of Us definitely is one of my top picks—not so much for the story itself (which is quite simple, really), but for the incredible way it is told. At the moment, my top vote goes to Bioshock Infinite.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#125 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@cyborg_says said:

@steve5xg: I really enjoyed all the Uncharted Games, but in my opinion Uncharted 4 has the best story. Alan Wake is a pretty interesting game too, but only the first one. Alan Wake's American Nightmare is in my opinion quite boring.

Yeah, man. Uncharted 4 is amazing. Still prefer TLoU, but both of them are really cool. Why did you find Alan Wake's American Nightmare boring? I like the idea of a story based in a TV series, such as The Twilight Zone, but maybe it's because the gameplay, isn't it?

@journey_951 said:

The Last of Us definitely is one of my top picks—not so much for the story itself (which is quite simple, really), but for the incredible way it is told. At the moment, my top vote goes to Bioshock Infinite.

I love Rapture! hahaha Bioshock is terrific!

Avatar image for hardy1993
#126 Posted by hardy1993 (16 posts) -

kingdom of amalur reckoning

Avatar image for steve5xg
#127 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@hardy1993 said:

kingdom of amalur reckoning

No idea what game it is. Could you tell us about it in a few words?

Avatar image for hardy1993
#128 Posted by hardy1993 (16 posts) -

@steve5xg: its an open world game similier to far cry 2 . but with swords/bows/magic , you begin at small village taking quest from NPC along the way you begin exploring the map and and keep taking new quests . if you play it you will see its the same as far cry 2

Avatar image for journey_951
#129 Posted by Journey_951 (25 posts) -

@steve5xg I actually still haven’t experienced Rapture. I played Bioshock Infinite first (I’m a bit late to the party). I am so stoked to play 1 and 2, but didn’t want to jump right in and be done with them all in a matter of weeks, so I’ve been holding off. Very soon, I shall venture to Rapture to discover its awesomeness.

Avatar image for iseeitake
#130 Posted by Iseeitake (8 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 1

The Witcher 3

There are a lot of good story base game out there but those two are my top. MSG being my first as it blew me away with the story when it first came out. Most recent one would be W3. Not only is the main story well done but the side quest story was well thought out as well.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#131 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@hardy1993 said:

@steve5xg: its an open world game similier to far cry 2 . but with swords/bows/magic , you begin at small village taking quest from NPC along the way you begin exploring the map and and keep taking new quests . if you play it you will see its the same as far cry 2

Well, I should play it, then! Thanks for the advice.

@journey_951 said:

@steve5xg I actually still haven’t experienced Rapture. I played Bioshock Infinite first (I’m a bit late to the party). I am so stoked to play 1 and 2, but didn’t want to jump right in and be done with them all in a matter of weeks, so I’ve been holding off. Very soon, I shall venture to Rapture to discover its awesomeness.

Rapture is the city in Bioshock, so you might play it but you maybe didn't realized about it haha. Bioshock gameplay is so funny.

@iseeitake said:

Metal Gear Solid 1

The Witcher 3

There are a lot of good story base game out there but those two are my top. MSG being my first as it blew me away with the story when it first came out. Most recent one would be W3. Not only is the main story well done but the side quest story was well thought out as well.

And I am so agree with you. Can't believe no body talked about Metal Gear Solid in this thread yet. I remmeber myself playing like there is no tomorrow, like a bunch of hours, and It was totally awesome.

Avatar image for innergame
#132 Posted by InnerGame (200 posts) -

Knights of the Old Republic

Bioshock Infinite

Alan Wake

WarCraft franchise

Avatar image for jackamomo
#133 Posted by Jackamomo (1635 posts) -

Spiderman vs The Kingpin

Avatar image for tpz4sheezy
#134 Posted by tpz4sheezy (29 posts) -

Prob RDR2. It literally makes me somewhat believe in the simulation hypothesis (that we live in a sort of matrix like computer sim). The reason being, if rockstar can create a living world that realistic now ........juSt imagine what we, or some alien race could create in 100, 500, 10,000 10000000000000 years into the future!!!!! The other day I killed an eagle in RDR 2 and a I noticed a dead snake in front of the eagles body. The damn eagle had a snake in its mouth and was flying away with it when I shot it down from the sky! I know it’s not exactly the answer to the question because it’s a question about story I’m just saying so much love went into crafting that game that it’s impossible for me not to say it’s one of the best games ever and that includes the story as well.

Avatar image for journey_951
#136 Posted by Journey_951 (25 posts) -

@steve5xg

"Rapture is the city in Bioshock, so you might play it but you maybe didn't realized about it haha. Bioshock gameplay is so funn"

Oh, I know that. I've only played Bioshock Infinite so far, which takes place in Columbia. So I haven't been to Rapture yet. I am looking forward to that when I get around to playing Bioshock 1 (which should be pretty soon now).

Avatar image for favar09
#139 Posted by favar09 (5 posts) -

The Witcher 3 on PC and The Last of Us on PS4

Avatar image for robbie23
#140 Posted by Robbie23 (182 posts) -

@steve5xg: Yes you should absolutely amazing. One of my all time favorite games.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#141 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@tpz4sheezy said:

Prob RDR2. It literally makes me somewhat believe in the simulation hypothesis (that we live in a sort of matrix like computer sim). The reason being, if rockstar can create a living world that realistic now ........juSt imagine what we, or some alien race could create in 100, 500, 10,000 10000000000000 years into the future!!!!! The other day I killed an eagle in RDR 2 and a I noticed a dead snake in front of the eagles body. The damn eagle had a snake in its mouth and was flying away with it when I shot it down from the sky! I know it’s not exactly the answer to the question because it’s a question about story I’m just saying so much love went into crafting that game that it’s impossible for me not to say it’s one of the best games ever and that includes the story as well.

Oh, man! RDR2 is too realistic for my booty hahahaha I love it! Matrix made so much pain to our world... but it's impossible to not imagine something like that. Gotta play the game, yeah.

@journey_951 said:

@steve5xg

"Rapture is the city in Bioshock, so you might play it but you maybe didn't realized about it haha. Bioshock gameplay is so funn"

Oh, I know that. I've only played Bioshock Infinite so far, which takes place in Columbia. So I haven't been to Rapture yet. I am looking forward to that when I get around to playing Bioshock 1 (which should be pretty soon now).

yeah, dude. Give it a try!

@favar09 said:

The Witcher 3 on PC and The Last of Us on PS4

Both of them are really really cool.

@robbie23 said:

@steve5xg: Yes you should absolutely amazing. One of my all time favorite games.

I'll try! Thanks for the feedback.

Avatar image for lvonaloan
#142 Posted by lvonaloan (1 posts) -

Silent Hill i can say

Avatar image for stockvgm
#143 Posted by StockVGM (1 posts) -

The Suffering (both Prison Is Hell and Ties That Bind). That duology is the story of my life.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#144 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -
@lvonaloan said:

Silent Hill i can say

Silent Hill is always the right choice.

@stockvgm said:

The Suffering (both Prison Is Hell and Ties That Bind). That duology is the story of my life.

Never heard about it. I'll wacht it on YouTube ;)

Avatar image for steve5xg
#145 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -

Yesterday was the Nintendo Direct and I have to say I love the new Zelda: A Link's awakening grpahic style. I know it's just a remake, but that's the kind a graphics I do really appreciate. Despide the fact that I don't have the Nintendo Swicht, I wanna see a gameplay right now. So, yeah, for me hype is real.

What do you think about?

Avatar image for qwertblamblam
#146 Posted by qwertblamblam (5 posts) -

Love academy

Avatar image for steve5xg
#147 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -

@qwertblamblam: what is that game about? It seems like a date simulator or something like that??

Avatar image for pook99
#148 Posted by pook99 (817 posts) -

Surprising I only saw one mention of god of war in this thread, that has to be the best story game I played in recent memory, every character was so well written and watching the evolution of kratos was absolutely phenomenal.

On a less popular note I really enjoyed the story arc of castlevania lords of shadows series, not the deepest or well written story in gaming history but as a longtime castlevania fan I liked what they did with the series.

Avatar image for steve5xg
#149 Posted by Steve5XG (156 posts) -

@pook99: yeah, actually it is one of the best games to play. Personally, I didn't play it enought time to include this game in my list. Anyway, Castlevania reminds me of my old times when I was a little boy playing games alone at home. That game scared me!