What's the best gaming related purchase you've made in recent years?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1106 posts) -

For me, the Switch. Love that console.

#2 Posted by sakaiXx (4860 posts) -

The PSVR. I am sold on the VR experience due to that now.

#3 Posted by Speeny (1106 posts) -

@sakaixx: Yeah I've heard it's a lot of fun. I don't know anybody with VR equipment though. I wouldn't buy any myself right now.

#4 Posted by RSM-HQ (7790 posts) -

Probably everytime I buy a Monster Hunter game outside the X spin-off series.

I find them entertaining, well designed, always like the free content, the team knows how to make a well optimised experience, and have friends to play with.

MH ticks every box for me.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (26929 posts) -

I’m usually very happy with all my gaming purchases but I guess if I were to rank one as my “best” most recent one then I would say the Switch.

#6 Posted by npiet1 (1630 posts) -

PSVR was probably my best gaming related purchase. I just don't play it as much as I would like because there isn't enough support for AAA games and it cuts me off from the world. My misses likes to talk to me while I'll play, so I constantly taking it off and putting it back in.

#7 Posted by Speeny (1106 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I really have to give at least one MH game a shot. For someone who is new to the series is their any one in particular that's best to play? Or, what's the best one in your opinion? Thanks in advance. :)

#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18258 posts) -

@speeny said:

For me, the Switch. Love that console.

Same here. Should've done it sooner.

#9 Posted by Speeny (1106 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: Glad you're enjoying it.

#10 Posted by RSM-HQ (7790 posts) -
@speeny said:

@RSM-HQ: I really have to give at least one MH game a shot. For someone who is new to the series is their any one in particular that's best to play? Or, what's the best one in your opinion? Thanks in advance. :)

I think Monster Hunter: World is the best one for new Hunters coming into the series. The gameplay has had some much needed adjustments to take advantage of better hardware, and modernize some baggage carried from the PS2/ PSP limitations. Though Capcom have steamlined a few features, they've done so I feel to remove annoyances; like Egg Quests which was previously a nightmare for anyone. They've also made some recipies easier and auto-tagged which fans are divided on.

As a longtime fan I really adore MH 4G for the 3DS. It feels more restrictive gameplay-wise over World but the monsters are designed around the limitations and overall has some of the best maps, and quests in the whole series. It also just has flawless pacing, which I personally thought was one of Worlds biggest issues.

World early-on just keeps holding the players hand. And doesn't stop for sometime, before ever giving the player a real Monster Hunter game. And it takes a few quests. 4G starts fighting an Elder Dragon so I consider that far more interesting. Also MH4/4G have great towns, while World has but one. . .

If anything I think if you've held off for this long wait for the Iceborne expansion, Capcom will likely do a cheap bundle of World and Iceborne, as they did for X to XX, 4 to 4G, etc_

MH: World is a great game, however because they've focused on improving and using a new engine, content feels lacking (for a MH game), and some other features overly simplified (for a long time fan of the series). Though from forums I've read new Hunters find World to be very demanding, and seems to read like it's still a true MH experience at heart, even with the narrowed list of tasks and features compared to older entries.

#11 Posted by thereal25 (1688 posts) -

Probably the MSI gaming geforce 1070gtx graphics card...

Good bang for buck, overclockable, blue light feature for screen, and it really holds up for 1080p resolution.

#12 Posted by Jackamomo (1638 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: tell me more about Monster Hunter World.

I bought a 6 button usb mega drive pad for under £3 for emulators.

Turns out I prefer it to the xbox 360 controller for things like button action, layout and few games actually use the analogue stick it turns out.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (30773 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@RSM-HQ: tell me more about Monster Hunter World.

I bought a 6 button usb mega drive pad for under £3 for emulators.

Turns out I prefer it to the xbox 360 controller for things like button action, layout and few games actually use the analogue stick it turns out.

Link?

#14 Edited by Jackamomo (1638 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: here

I don't recommend it though. I needed to open it up and cut little rings of paper and post them under the buttons because they were so insensitive. I build up the little circles with pritt stick until they were precisely 1mm thick I think.

Then I filed a metal cross and stuck it under the d-pad to make it more responsive before it was even useable.

That fried it. I realised after I could have used plastic or paper but the paper d-pad buffer I initially used was going over the edges and stopping it's springing back action.

So I ordered another (from China) and it will arrive in 3 months. Thats how cheap I am. Then I will put the none metal buffers back in place.

I recommend buy one for about £8 from the UK which should be better build quality. Just search 'mega drive usb pad' in ebay or whatever.

For now I am using another usb variant with redundant shoulder buttons which is fine, it's just the d-pad in not raised quite enough. I also pushed down too hard on one of these and a direction broke off. So they are fragile. It was Power Strike 2 on SMS that caused that.

Pushing hard on controllers is a noob error and have since fixed that bad habit. Doing that on the Dreamcast d-pad will result in blisters.

I have this also in white with 'Play Sega' branding. It's cheap and cheerful.

If you have the money though buy an original pad and usb converter.

PS. taking these things apart and successfully reassembling them takes practice.

#15 Edited by Yams1980 (3223 posts) -

I bought a 21:9 Ultrawide monitor a few years back. Best thing i've ever bought for gaming. Games look so great with the extra width.

Whenever i have no choice but to play in 16:9 i really notice how much i'm missing.

Its a 32inch 2560x1080 size, so its not too hard to run games with that res on a 1080gtx. And since its basically a 1080p monitor, its fully backwards compatible with older 1920x1080 games with no image distortion i would have got if i was running a 1440p version which does not downscale to 1920x1080 well.

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (30773 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@uninspiredcup: here

I don't recommend it though. I needed to open it up and cut little rings of paper and post them under the buttons because they were so insensitive. I build up the little circles until they were precisely 1mm thick I think.

Then I filed a metal cross and stuck it under the d-pad to make it more responsive before it was even useable.

That fried it. I realised after I could have used plastic or paper but the paper d-pad buffer I initially used was going over the edges and stopping it's springing back action.

So I ordered another (from China) and it will arrive in 3 months. Thats how cheap I am. Then I will put the none metal buffers back in place.

I recommend buy one for about £8 from the UK which should be better build quality.

For now I am using another usb variant with redundant shoulder buttons which is fine, it's just the d-pad in not raised quite enough.

I have this also in white with 'Play Sega' branding. It's cheap and cheerful.

If you have the money though buy an original pad and usb converter.

Thanks. Get the £8 one.

-

Was searching far and wide for USB Master System pad but no luck.

#17 Edited by Jackamomo (1638 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I reckon the usb converter should work with an original Master System pad.

It's not cheap at £17 though.

#18 Posted by RSM-HQ (7790 posts) -

@jackamomo: Ok Mr Tough guy, no one's forcing you to read questions I answer.

#19 Posted by Jackamomo (1638 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: don't worry I skipped right over it. :)

#20 Posted by RSM-HQ (7790 posts) -
@jackamomo said:

@RSM-HQ: don't worry I skipped right over it. :)

Then I don't understand the complaint.

#21 Posted by Jackamomo (1638 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: you were asked. My bad. I don't like the idea of hunting 'monsters' though. It reminds me of those chilling hunting games.

#22 Edited by RSM-HQ (7790 posts) -
@jackamomo said:

@RSM-HQ: you were asked. My bad. I don't like the idea of hunting 'monsters' though. It reminds me of those chilling hunting games.

You need to consider that it's a fantasy game with talking cats, an immortal piglet in pajamas, unicorns that summon thunder to destroy the world, and giant monkeys that punch to death those unicorns given the chance. . .

It would be the same as applying real logic to Pac-Man; a moving pizza eating ghosts. Some games are designed more around a fun factor than believability.

#23 Edited by robert_sparkes (2349 posts) -

Most recently Red dead 2 loved every minute of it.

Previous my ps2 purchase was most satisfying the system was just incredible in every sense.

#24 Posted by khalidkh12 (3 posts) -

Pubg is the best game ever

#25 Posted by xantufrog (10588 posts) -

Definitely the Switch. And games of course. Lots of great games across platforms these days. But the Switch is far and away the most exciting hardware for me in a while

#26 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43058 posts) -

My Geforce 980 video card. It's lasted me five years and is still going strong. Shit, I'm playing AC: Odyssey at 1080p at high-ultra and averaging 65 fps. I am currently not one, but TWO, video card generations behind at this point.

My 144 hz monitor. It might just be a placebo effect but I swear to go it made such a huge difference with my games and their appearance. It's not a particularly huge monitor or superwide or anything, just a standard 1920x1080 monitor with a nice refresh.

Honorable mention: my Oculus Rift VR system. While I don't play it as much as I'd like/should, it is without a doubt one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.

#28 Posted by iwilson1296 (2438 posts) -

A ps4, 1080 ti, and a PC-engine with Soldier Blade.

#29 Posted by warmblur (1511 posts) -

My gaming PC I got it in the Summer of 2013 I use it almost everyday only updated the graphics card once in 2016 for the Rift.

#30 Posted by warmblur (1511 posts) -

My gaming PC I got it in the Summer of 2013 I use it almost everyday only updated the graphics card once in 2016 for the Rift.

@mrbojangles25 said:

My Geforce 980 video card. It's lasted me five years and is still going strong. Shit, I'm playing AC: Odyssey at 1080p at high-ultra and averaging 65 fps. I am currently not one, but TWO, video card generations behind at this point.

My 144 hz monitor. It might just be a placebo effect but I swear to go it made such a huge difference with my games and their appearance. It's not a particularly huge monitor or superwide or anything, just a standard 1920x1080 monitor with a nice refresh.

Honorable mention: my Oculus Rift VR system. While I don't play it as much as I'd like/should, it is without a doubt one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.

Same I will never forget how mind blowing it was trying the Dreamdeck demo for the first time and seeing that Alien waving at me so close up I felt presence for the first time in VR.

#31 Posted by Enragedhydra (1037 posts) -

Probably my Playstation Vita or my Sony Wireless Gold Headphones

#32 Posted by Lady_Aijou (17 posts) -

My Switch, without a doubt. After yesterday's Direct, I'm happier than ever that I can pick up all these games coming out. It was easier to say which ones I *didn't * want to buy, than the ones I did! Dragon Quest, Rune Factory, Link's Awakening, SO much to look forward to this year!

#33 Posted by uninspiredcup (30773 posts) -

Probably have to go with the Steam Controller.

One of the big hassles of pc gaming is poor ports forcing users to spend time configuring controls, finding patches. With the Steam user-configs is effectively nullifies this in most cases.

Interestedly as well, once you get use to the track-pad if offers far greater precision over thumb-sticks.

#34 Edited by BassMan (9633 posts) -

High refresh rate monitor with G-Sync. I bought the original ROG Swift monitor and it was the first 1440p/144hz G-Sync monitor. It was a huge upgrade from my old 1080p/60hz monitor. Now I have a 3440x1440/120hz G-Sync Ultrawide as well and it is amazing.

#35 Edited by Pharad (1 posts) -

Upgraded from my old 15" monitor to a 27" one! Yeah, pretty big difference.