What's the best Assassin's Creed Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f997be0dd5ae
deactivated-5f997be0dd5ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll What's the best Assassin's Creed Game? (51 votes)

Assassin's Creed 12%
Assassin's Creed II 25%
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood 10%
Assassin's Creed Revelations 4%
Assassin's Creed III 0%
Assassin's Creed Liberation HD 0%
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 24%
Assassin's Creed Rogue 0%
Assassin's Creed Unity 4%
Assassin's Creed Syndicate 0%
Assassin's Creed Origins 22%

So guys, after the series is running for 10 years now and saw the release of it’s 11th (!!!) main entry, I decided to give the Assassin’s Creed series a go and played through all 10 main entries (except Origins which i haven’t gotten yet) that were released on the PC. If I would have to rank them from the first up to Syndicate, it would look like this.

1. AC II (perfect balance between focused story-driven gameplay and a nice variety of open-world-side-stuff)

2. AC Brotherhood (almost identical to AC II, so it’s not really surprising that this is number two on the list)

3. AC Syndicate (after a long and almost constant downfall this is he first AC since Revelations that is actually fun again, thanks to a much more streamlined gameplay, the additions of horse carrriers and a grappling hook and the cutting of all the distracting side stuff)

4. AC Revelations (This is where the series starts to drag, but very colourful and exciting new setting kind of maintain the quality from AC II and Brotherhood)

5. AC I (a bit underwhelming compared to it’s successor but it focuses much more on it’s story than all the later titles, so it has that going for it)

6. AC Black Flag (not a bad game per se, but i think the universally praised sea combat is not that of a welcome addition. In fact, it is very distracting and because you do so much of it, it gets tedious and boring very quick. May be a descend game in it’s own right, but because of the overused sea combat, it’s kind of a bad Assassin’s Creed game)

7. AC Rogue (i like that you play as a templar here, makes the story kind of fresh, but apart from that it’s a almost 100% identical Black Flag clone, just with a different setting)

8. AC III (the major transition game for the series. Many of the new aspects were pretty unrefined, hence it’s one of the low points oft he series. I liked the plot twist in the beginning though)

9. AC Unity (French revolution is a very interesting setting, grafics are phenomenal, still looks better than Syndicate and Arno is a likeable guy. But: Absolutely bug-ridden, nearly unplayable on PC without some serious fixing, horrible combat system and waaaaaayyyyy too much stupid distracting side stuff)

10. AC Liberation (Technically it is not as bad as Unity, but it has the most uninspired and boring story, characters and gameplay oft he whole series)

Oh yeah, forgot to say: This list only includes the main titles. No Chronicles and no handheld and cell phone games, because that's why.

What is your favourite Assassin’s Creed game?

• 
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#1 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

AC II is the best, I don't even think it would be close compared to another game in the series.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Black Flag, followed by Origins.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

This.

The AC series progressively got better from 1 to Black Flag, fell off with Unity and Syndicate, but Origins was great.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@todddow said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This.

The AC series progressively got better from 1 to Black Flag, fell off with Unity and Syndicate, but Origins was great.

Yeah I agree... I actually was never a fan of the series until I played Black Flag. The first games just didn't click with me.

I actually enjoyed Syndicate btw.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

My first pick is AC Unity. It's gorgeous, the combat works really well once you learn to fight, and the paris stories and individuals you meet are so fascinating. Of the traditional AC games it is the best for me. And I've played them all.

Second place goes to AC1,2,3,4 and Revelations. To me they're all just as good games, all in their own way, so cannot really decide which would be better than others. I love replaying each just as much. AC3 for it's nature and authentic environs, AC1 for it's groundbreaking nature, AC2 for its mysteries and ambience and so on.

AC Origins is brill game, but it's an action RPG rather than AC game, so wont rate it here.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Anyone who says anything other than 2 is sorely mistaken.

Avatar image for gk2011_scoped_games
Gk2011_Scoped_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gk2011_Scoped_Games
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

I am slightly biased in that I have only played Black Flag mainly because I was always told they were very hit or miss. I actually did not play Black flag until well after Syndicate came out which again heard it was more of a miss than a hit.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

ACII and Brotherhood

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 henrythefifth

I used to think AC2 is the best. But replaying it on PS4, I was reminded of it's big flaw; Venice.

Venice is horrible in AC2. The place looks bad, is pain in the butt to navigate, and the missions there are just tedious. And the thieves are repulsive bunch. Huge letdown from Ubi, the way they spoiled this great city.

So, people who keep saying AC2 is best, should perhaps replay it entirely. Not just replay the great opening areas, but the whole game. They might change their attitude.

AC2 is great game, but it aint perfect, nor is it the best. AC3 and 4 are both better designed and more wholesome adventures of the last gen efforts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@henrythefifth: I've got to agree; Unity is by far the most wholesome AC game that not only delivers on the trademark historical beauty of the franchise, but goes back to the roots of stealth-combat, while also adding in some new components to make it fresh. The upgrade system for weapons and armor was a nice addition, it did not feel tacked on or superficial, and being able to access different types of weapons--from swords to spears, daggers to maces--spiced things up. And again, the setting; the French Revolution, seeing Paris in such detail, was truly amazing.

AC2 + it's sequals/expansions/spinoffs is definitely my next favorite; a lot of people hate on Brotherhood and Revelations, but I enjoyed them as part of the Ezio saga.

Honorable mention goes to Syndicate, the dual-character set up was a lot of fun (the guy as the "brawler", and woman as the "stealthy one") and the setting was fantastic, loved the focus on fighting for the working class, hooligan culture, and so forth. I thought they incorporated firearms really well, too, because pistols were not overly powerful, but still incredibly fun to shoot.

I really want them to make a modern-era AC game, though; it's time we see the franchise conclude. I'm playing Origins right now and, without giving too much away, the time you spend outside of the simulation as the woman is a lot of fun.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@todddow said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

This.

That's incredibly funny to me (in a good way, not trying to belittle); I can't help but think of Black Flag and Origins and the least "assassin's creed-y" of the whole series. Unity is by far the closest we have gone to the original concept of the game (emphasis on stealth, tradecraft, etc) while Black Flag and Origins are more heavy-handed in their approaches.

Syndicate was also heavy on action, but it made some significant changes that payed off imo; it's the exception to the rule.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

The first one.

But I gave up on that series after the abomination that was brotherhood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Assassin's Creed Origins is the best game due to it's Combat system and enormous world that feels alive. The mechanics are the most interesting as well, with a deeper customization arsenal in skill-sets and loot. After 50 hours with that game I have yet to scratch the surface in mastering the combat. Pure fun and never a dull moment. Ow and not to forget the presentation of Origins is masterful. The art style with the thin golden lines across the menu's representing imprinted Egyptian symbols, the masterful soundscape of the world and the inhabitants in it or the eagle that sours through the sky with it's hawking. The graphics on Ultra are close to being graphics king, it looks nearly photorealistic in some scenes on the Xbox one X @4K. Origins is the most engaging AC game in the series, with a very loveable main character to play.

But it's not the best Assassin's Creed game. Like others mentioned, it's a reboot to the series and thus is hard to compare to something of the likes of the Ezio trilogy (god please Xbox one X enhance this title). I would tie AC2 with AC2 Brotherhood. The story of those games is just too incredible. The refinement of world-building and the characters present are something else. There are a few games as intriguing or as authentic as Assassin's Creed 2, that game was a true next gen mindblowing experience that is hard to forget.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

You can´t limit it to one single game, the Ezio/Desmond games are the best by a wide margin.

Ezio is probably one of the best written characters in gaming.

SkullCrusher98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SkullCrusher98
Member since 2017 • 40 Posts

Assassin's Creed Origins is the best game of the series hands down!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f997be0dd5ae
deactivated-5f997be0dd5ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5f997be0dd5ae
Member since 2017 • 58 Posts

what is it about ezio that everybody thinks he is so exceptionally well written? I mean he is kind of a likeable guy but i couldn‘t see that much character development in my playthrough. maybe this highlights one more time one of the main problems of the series: all the f*ckin side stuff distracts to heavily from the core story line. maybe i was to busy doing all that shit, that i did not noticed his character progression in the small story bits between collecting treasure chests and all that shit...

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 henrythefifth

@mrbojangles25 said:

@henrythefifth: I've got to agree; Unity is by far the most wholesome AC game that not only delivers on the trademark historical beauty of the franchise, but goes back to the roots of stealth-combat, while also adding in some new components to make it fresh. The upgrade system for weapons and armor was a nice addition, it did not feel tacked on or superficial, and being able to access different types of weapons--from swords to spears, daggers to maces--spiced things up. And again, the setting; the French Revolution, seeing Paris in such detail, was truly amazing.

AC2 + it's sequals/expansions/spinoffs is definitely my next favorite; a lot of people hate on Brotherhood and Revelations, but I enjoyed them as part of the Ezio saga.

Honorable mention goes to Syndicate, the dual-character set up was a lot of fun (the guy as the "brawler", and woman as the "stealthy one") and the setting was fantastic, loved the focus on fighting for the working class, hooligan culture, and so forth. I thought they incorporated firearms really well, too, because pistols were not overly powerful, but still incredibly fun to shoot.

I really want them to make a modern-era AC game, though; it's time we see the franchise conclude. I'm playing Origins right now and, without giving too much away, the time you spend outside of the simulation as the woman is a lot of fun.

Syndicate was very enjoyable, I agree, with London being a great sandbox. I just did not much like the crew the assassins gathered during the game, neither did I like the villains (they were real lame) and frankly, the game did not even have a story to it.

Origins is great game. Just like Unity, Origins has masses of fascinating side stories to it. Most side missions contain interesting egyptean mysteries and beliefs and so on. The main story is a bit meh, tho, and the villains are once again rather dull bunch. Playing Origins feels like a vacation really, what with all the sun and sand.

I was also disappointed that Ubi did not manage to make Cleopatra better. She feels just... well, she does not come off as powerful persona. In AC2 we had strong women who had genuine presence. Cleopatra lacked that.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

earth is round, sky is blue, water is wet, and black flag is the best. And If I have to go to the needless effort to tell you why, well, it challenges the conventions of the series and mixes up the formula.

TheSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheSlash
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

AC II by far. But I got to love Black Flag once again after they released it free for everyone, that would be my second pick.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

AC origins>> AC2>>AC>>AC3>>AC syndicate>> AC black faq>> AC unity>> AC revelation>> AC brothrhood for me mery Christmas and Happy new year

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

Top 3 not in order

Black Flag

Brotherhood

Origins

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I liked Black Flag the best. The game feels very polished, the setting is beautiful with a solid story line, and it's just pure fun. I also prefer it when the games get away from the overarching story the franchise is trying to tell and sticks to a more personal standalone story. I don't have it in me to play every Assassin's Creed game so I couldn't care less about it. Also the whole game within a game thing always felt like a gimmick to needlessly justify certain game mechanics.

My second favorite is AC: Brotherhood. It felt like a less bloated and more refined experience than ACII, and Rome was the tits.

Unity is a tad underrated to me. It deservedly got a lot of flack for launch issues (and even after the fixes there is still some jank), but the main story line and Paris setting are pretty ****ing great. My biggest complaint is the side content. There's just too much of it, and it's all really boring.

Will try Syndicate next (just got in on sale) and will get Origins when it's cheaper. I've heard the side content in Syndicate feeds better into the main plot, which I'm looking forward to.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

lol you missed almost all spin offs :p I think the best ones are Black Flag, 2 and Origins ... in this order

Boren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Boren
Member since 2017 • 10 Posts

Origins are best

gongbaojiding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gongbaojiding
Member since 2018 • 21 Posts

For me AC II is the best! First of all it has a magnificent story, game graphics are spectacular. While you are playing the game you feel like you are in Italy and learning a lot about the city. The game literally makes you witnessing the history (cesare borgia, leonardo da vinci).. Best of the best!

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

In not order I'd say it would be Syndicate (Unity had a better main story but the rest was meh and the mechanics of the game were much improved in Syndicate), Black Flag (built on the only good part of AC3, so of course it's a good game) and Brotherhood (been a white since I've played it, so might be just nostalgia talking, though we might as well list the Ezio trilogy as a single game).

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 GNS
Member since 2015 • 920 Posts

I don't know about the best, but the most fun I had was with Liberation - those chain kill combos were sick and the ability to infiltrate by dressing up respectively was neat.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Old thread that was bump by a spambot. However if anyone wants to continue this discussion, feel free to make a new thread.