What's the appeal of Minecraft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

It looks absolutely terrible. Not only the graphics but what is the point of the game? You just build boxed structures around the map? Can you not do that in games like Gary's Mod?

Sorry, but I don't understand it.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
It's a survival game. You build a house with resources you found. Hide at night from the zombies. Find cave systems with enemies in the dark but also loot to pick. It's a big world too. Gets updated frequently.
ThomasMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ThomasMaster
Member since 2005 • 205 Posts

It looks absolutely terrible. Not only the graphics but what is the point of the game? You just build boxed structures around the map? Can you not do that in games like Gary's Mod?

Sorry, but I don't understand it.

Starshine_M2A2

I don't get it either. I envy people who get millionaire out of games like this.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

It is fun to build and explore. The game is beautiful in its own way too.

If you spend enough time in it, you find some neat environments. I really love my world.

It isn't for everyone, but for me, the game is almost like legos for adults. The graphics are simple enough that your imagination has to do some of the work. I really love finding new cave systems and exploring them.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

If you spend enough time in it, you find some neat environments. I really love my world.

It isn't for everyone, but for me, the game is almost like legos for adults. The graphics are simple enough that your imagination has to do some of the work. I really love finding new cave systems and exploring them.

rragnaar

How did you get those Screenshots from that view bro ? Well the last one mainly. Cause that is sweet view.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

silentnightmere

How did you get those Screenshots from that view bro ? Well the last one mainly. Cause that is sweet view.

On the Mac there is a program called MC Map Live and on the PC there is one called Cartographer. Both programs let you get a birds eye view of your world. MC Map Live works a little better than Cartographer, but they are both great programs. I do most of my playing on my PC at home, but every once in a while I'll upload my save file to dropbox and work on it at the office on my work Mac.
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silentnightmere
[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

On the Mac there is a program called MC Map Live and on the PC there is one called Cartographer. Both programs let you get a birds eye view of your world. MC Map Live works a little better than Cartographer, but they are both great programs. I do most of my playing on my PC at home, but every once in a while I'll upload my save file to dropbox and work on it at the office on my work Mac.

Nice thanks. I think Il give it a download. I would love to see a birds eye view of my world.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
It's deep in our sub conscience for people who liked Legos as a child. This game is advanced legos with animals and enemies. In essence its perfect.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
It's deep in our sub conscience for people who liked Legos as a child. This game is advanced legos with animals and enemies. In essence its perfect. Vexx88
oh my god. you nailed it!
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80435 Posts
I saw a video of them building Grand Central Station and it was pretty amazing... This game sounds like a major time sink, though...
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

Its pretty much a unfinished game the only thing to really do is get better items ands thats it, except for building and mining which isnt to fun.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

rragnaar
That's exactly what I think of when it gets mentioned. Well, just not for adults.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It's like Lego. The actual 'game' part is pretty awful, as the enemies are poorly balanced and the survival aspect is more frustrating than fun (especially in the early parts). There's also absolutely no structure or direction whatsoever, nothing to accomplish other than building bigger stuff...which the enemies have absolutely nothing to do with other than to impede your construction. Terraria did Minecraft the game properly - Minecraft is still better for building things, though.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vexx88

It's like Lego. The actual 'game' part is pretty awful, as the enemies are poorly balanced and the survival aspect is more frustrating than fun (especially in the early parts). There's also absolutely no structure or direction whatsoever, nothing to accomplish other than building bigger stuff...which the enemies have absolutely nothing to do with other than to impede your construction. Terraria did Minecraft the game properly - Minecraft is still better for building things, though.DJ_Lae
I hope people don't buy minecraft hoping to get engaging combat that's for sure :lol: I do love the game though for building.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

It's like a model trainset. You craft your world to perfection. It's also immersive & the added feature or survival from enemies really adds to the game. There is also a beauty to the game that can't be seen without playing it.

silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silentnightmere
And when it RELEASES theres gonna be a story. So there you go.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
It's to see what you can make, what hidden things you can find. It's a virtually infinite world, where you must craft and build to survive. Also, there's multiplayer.
Novemberrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Novemberrr
Member since 2011 • 163 Posts
I'm still trying to figure it out..I got caught up in the hype and bought the game..it's pretty fun but I can't enjoy it thoroughly for some reason..
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vexx88

And when it RELEASES theres gonna be a story. So there you go. silentnightmere
Well at this point who knows. Even the 360 version thats coming out soon is starting in beta.

silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silentnightmere

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]And when it RELEASES theres gonna be a story. So there you go. Vexx88

Well at this point who knows. Even the 360 version thats coming out soon is starting in beta.

Yea I think the PC version is supposed to be released this September ? I believe. I WANT the 360 version though. ALOT .
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Doing something entirely different from every other game on the market. Anyone who has played with Lego can find something addictive about Minecraft.