What's So Great About Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Why Change Is Important [Analysis]

WSGAGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By WSGAGaming
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

(Link/YouTube remove by moderator)

Hello everyone! My name is Jackson, and I analyze why certain games stand out more than others. I wanted to look into how Ubisoft's recent changes affected the Assassin's Creed series, making improvements for games in the future.

What do you think of the re-invented Assassin's Creed format seen in Odyssey (and quite a bit in Origins)?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24830 Posts

@wsgagaming said:

What do you think of the re-invented Assassin's Creed format seen in Odyssey (and quite a bit in Origins)?

Hated it. I was already annoyed by Ubisoft's copy paste way of designing games. Now they added a shitload of samey loot on top of that which was just annoying to go through and manage. Wasn't sure on how to make AC even worse, until Ubisoft went "hold my beer".

Awesome graphics though.

NickBasile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NickBasile
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts

I was not a fan of it either -- far too forgiving. On the hardest mode, I'd hide in bushes, get people's attention, and stealth kill entire camps. If I alerted someone, I'd gallop away and come back shortly and resume. The series has always been fun to explore and discover new areas and the story is decent, but the gameplay has never been executed well in my opinion to be a great experience.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8808 Posts

Change is a funny word to throw around now with Assassins Creed. It's original games was known to be simplistic but offer an experience like no other at the time. Over time they over-saturated the formula, even creating other IPs with basically the same gameplay structure. Ubisoft now with the last few titles are tacking-on elements from other genres/ franchises. And doesn't particularly do any of them better than what they mimic_

I would state in trying to stay relevant has lost its identity.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39471 Posts

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is still the best AC game to date. I did enjoy AC: Origin but haven't gotten around to purchasing Odyssey myself and judging by most reviews I read about it, it seems I'm not missing much. I'm not much of a huge fan of the series, I just play them whenever my convenient time lets me.

Edit: @wsgagaming Also, I have to remove your channel due to it's advertising but the thread itself does have a good discussion, so I'll leave it open.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29044 Posts

Not the place to advertise your YouTube channel.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39471 Posts

@Archangel3371: Thanks. I was on mobile while typing my original comment which is hard to notice stuff like this.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19578 Posts

I was a fan of the series after Black Flag, but AC Odyssey actually turned me off the series... it's just too bloated for me. Got bored.