Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I've never played it before because of the negative reviews when it first came out but just wanted to see if it's improved with patches or if any interesting features have been added since launch.

From what I've read, there were lots of features that were removed prior to release. Capital ship battles, more varied ship options, desert planets ect... Is any of this in the game now?

BackyardPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 BackyardPirate
Member since 2018 • 17 Posts

I agree how the blotched landing of No Mans Sky can be very intimidating(understandable) from the *lies they promised as in co-op or even the actions of the games immersive AI, put that all in the past. No Mans Sky is a open world landmark if its not the infinite amount of planets and the vast open galaxy's to get lost in, it could be the amount of creativity that is over looked. Here are things to look forward to and that has changed.

1. Base making - released in post launch

2. Immersive story - released in post launch

3. New spaceships and items to acknowledged and dive into.

There is plenty of stuff to do and i say if you would like a game to enjoy for the base idea and for an affordable price No Mans Sky is for you.

-Pirate

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: the game is very close to what was advertised at this point. There have been many things added and more yet to come. We should get another big update soon. They have added base building, new planet types, a new alien species, new space ships as well as the ability to own a frieghter which you can build a base on and store six different ships, and a stripped down multiplayer that is being added to. Graphics have improved as well.

You shouldn't let the angry internet mob of crazy people ever keep you from trying a game out for yourself if it seems like the type of thing you would enjoy. Refer to the 17 page No Man's Sky thread on this forum for more details.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

It is still kind of a garbage fire. If you want a funny vid about why:

Loading Video...
ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

It's not too bad. It's still really slow, but most resources/survival games fall into that category. I kinda hope there was more fighting, space brawls and overall combat encounters, but then the on-foot shooting is pure shit anyway, so maybe that's not bad. Overall, it's decent. It's cool to land on planets and then seamlessly enter the stratosphere and putt around doing space stuff. It's worth 20, maybe 30 bucks.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

So base building has been included but what does that mean? Do bases have to be defended against invading enemies? Can you recruit soldiers for the cause? What's the point?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I'm still playing No Man's Sky to this day since it's launch and still a good game for a relaxing game to say the least. No Man's Sky latest updates as of now has gotten so much better then it was during launch. I don't know what the current price is, go check it out and No Man's Sky is still fun to play and ever since I got it at launch, I still haven't gotten closer to reaching the center of the galaxy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@kittennose: lol

"....but it deletes your save when you die"

"finger waving 'what does it all meaaaaan?'"

That was pretty funny. And I kind of like the game...kind of. Video made a lot of good points.

@soul_starter said:

So base building has been included but what does that mean? Do bases have to be defended against invading enemies? Can you recruit soldiers for the cause? What's the point?

It is almost cliche at this point, but...there is no point. The point is to have open-ended fun? I mean there is a lot to do in the game, but there is no urgency, it's all very relaxed for the most part, there are no penalties, really. It's just a relaxing exploration-survival game.

Honestly I think half the reason it got so much hate is because the modern gamer is so used to hand-holding and coddling from the developer, they don't know how to take the initiative on a game any more and make it fun for themselves. It's like being given a bunch of LEGO pieces and being told "have fun" versus being given a bunch of LEGO pieces and instructions on how to build something out of it. Some people are happy (more happy) without the instructions, while some people would be outraged that the LEGO pieces they bought have no instructions. But that is giving NMS too much credit...but it's kind of like that.

@davillain- said:

I'm still playing No Man's Sky to this day since it's launch and still a good game for a relaxing game to say the least. No Man's Sky latest updates as of now has gotten so much better then it was during launch. I don't know what the current price is, go check it out and No Man's Sky is still fun to play and ever since I got it at launch, I still haven't gotten closer to reaching the center of the galaxy.

It really is a good game; hell, I thought it was a good game at release, despite the issues. But like you said it has gotten so much better. And the game is just massive, you will never finish it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mark1974

@soul_starter:

One of the popular things to do is build a farm. The farm is layed out with the plants necessary for constructing a particular item that can be sold to make money in the game. Other players can visit the farm and make use of it.

Others use creativity and make a really cool base and others visit it out of curiosity and are given a emblem that can be used to decorate their own base with when they register their visit. In the hub a user has created a Star Wars like cantina and it is used as a gathering place. These are just a few of the uses for base building.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KittenNose

I don't think it is fair to say the game got hated on because it lacked hand holding. The game got hated on because it lacked anything that couldn't be found in half a dozen $20 early access games, yet it advertised it's self as a revolution in modern gaming.

I mean heck even after all this time it is only 'okay' by the standards of an indy early access title that is on track for a full release next year. The fact that they still want $60 for it is a rip off.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soul_starter

@mark1974: Are other users now visible? I thought the game didnt let you play or see others?

The design aspect is cool but my point is, what does it all mean? Can I see other explorers? Interact? Fight or combine to fight others?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mark1974

@kittennose said:

I don't think it is fair to say the game got hated on because it lacked hand holding. The game got hated on because it lacked anything that couldn't be found in half a dozen $20 early access games, yet it advertised it's self as a revolution in modern gaming.

I mean heck even after all this time it is only 'okay' by the standards of an indy early access title that is on track for a full release next year. The fact that they still want $60 for it is a rip off.

It got hated on because it's fun for people to hate on things they don't like and others do. It was getting a lot of hate before it even came out. There are good reasons people had to be disappointed with the game but in the end most of it was trolling and internet mob mentality. Most of the haters never played it, they just watched "funny" youtube videos about it. It's just a video game and look at how crazy people got. Also, the anti-indie crowd was offended that they dare charge $60. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to just not buy the game if you were unsure or wait for it to come out instead of preordering. Preordering serves absolutely no purpose. And to your other point there is absolutely no other game like this on consoles for $20 or any other price. Many of us have no interest in using a PC for video games. This game ended up being pretty much what I thought it would be. I and others love the game and that seems to really upset a certain kind of person. This game is niche and never should have been advertised to the main stream audience.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mark1974

@soul_starter said:

@mark1974: Are other users now visible? I thought the game didnt let you play or see others?

The design aspect is cool but my point is, what does it all mean? Can I see other explorers? Interact? Fight or combine to fight others?

When you see other players they are just a glowing orb with a name. We will likely get player models with the next update.

If you want a game with a lot of fighting or co-op multiplayer this is the opposite kind of game you are looking for and I would advice you to not bother with it. In fact if a game without a point seems like a bad thing then you wont like this game. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like the idea of a game letting you play it however you want and giving you no real direction and just making your own thing out of it. Obviously people like me are going to be in a minority of gamers. I like all kinds of games though and am open to radically different ideas. I like seeing the boundaries pushed and developers trying ambitious ideas even if the game itself fails.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KittenNose

@mark1974 said:

It got hated on because it's fun for people to hate on things they don't like and others do. It was getting a lot of hate before it even came out. There are good reasons people had to be disappointed with the game but in the end most of it was trolling and internet mob mentality. Most of the haters never played it, they just watched "funny" youtube videos about it. It's just a video game and look at how crazy people got. Also, the anti-indie crowd was offended that they dare charge $60. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to just not buy the game if you were unsure or wait for it to come out instead of preordering. Preordering serves absolutely no purpose. And to your other point there is absolutely no other game like this on consoles for $20 or any other price. Many of us have no interest in using a PC for video games. This game ended up being pretty much what I thought it would be. I and others love the game and that seems to really upset a certain kind of person. This game is niche and never should have been advertised to the main stream audience.

Wow you are super invested. Insulting a game you like isn't the same as insulting you mate. Calm down and don't take it personal.

The game still sits at only ~50% negative reviews in the last thirty days. People buying it now, after more then a year of work has been put into it, are still extremely disappointed with what they are getting. Long after the bandwagon has moved on, and expectations have been greatly lowered. It isn't some mob mentality. Even the fact that it was intentionally misrepresented is no longer impacting it's score. The people buying it these days are going in with an open mind, setting a low bar, and yet they are still surprised at just how meh it is.

If you like it then great. That doesn't mean the folks who do not are trolling, or wrapped up in some mob mentality. They have just played much better space sims.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mark1974

@kittennose said:
@mark1974 said:

Wow you are super invested. Insulting a game you like isn't the same as insulting you mate. Calm down and don't take it personal.

The game still sits at only ~50% negative reviews in the last thirty days. People buying it now, after more then a year of work has been put into it, are still extremely disappointed with what they are getting. Long after the bandwagon has moved on, and expectations have been greatly lowered. It isn't some mob mentality. Even the fact that it was intentionally misrepresented is no longer impacting it's score. The people buying it these days are going in with an open mind, setting a low bar, and yet they are still surprised at just how meh it is.

If you like it then great. That doesn't mean the folks who do not are trolling, or wrapped up in some mob mentality. They have just played much better space sims.

I actually didn't disagree with anything in your other post except for the idea that there are dozens of other early access games like it. $60 is a lot for what it is and most gamers are going to find the game ok at best. In the end it's just opinions and I don't care about it's score or popularity among gamers at large.

But to say that there wasn't a huge and rabid group of haters and trolls attacking the game for fun is wrong. If you looked at the reddit pages in the early days it would have been obvious. Many trolls can't resist a No Man's Sky thread. There are plenty of open minded people giving the game a chance and not liking it but the large amount of trolls who have latched onto shiting on any discussion about this game on the internet is well known.

I don't know if I'm super invested or not but I think it's good to support a game you believe in and want to continue to see updated.

Have you played the game?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KittenNose

@mark1974: Heck man if you are this committed to that narrative I am not going to stand in your way.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mark1974

@kittennose said:

@mark1974: Heck man if you are this committed to that narrative I am not going to stand in your way.

Which narrative? This thread was made by someone who has not played the game asking about how it is now. Seems like the opinions of people who actually play the game are relevant here. If you haven't played the game and have only watched funny negative youtube videos you probably shouldn't be trying to convince someone the game is bad now and bad always for example. I was asked to give my "narrative" on this subject. I don't ask anyone to share my opinion. I have followed the game since it was announced, played since launch, have continued playing it and have 500 hours in the game. It seemed like a thread I might participate in.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KittenNose

@mark1974: Yeah that narrative.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mark1974

@kittennose said:

@mark1974: Yeah that narrative.

So like I figured, you are the obligatory troll that can be found in any No Man's Sky thread ever. Why discuss games you haven't played and don't want to? Do positive discussions of this game trigger you? Do you feel compelled to add your negativity?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KittenNose

@mark1974 said:

So like I figured, you are the obligatory troll that can be found in any No Man's Sky thread ever. Why discuss games you haven't played and don't want to? Do positive discussions of this game trigger you? Do you feel compelled to add your negativity?

Holy fluff mate, you are way to invested in this.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Like too many survival game it is all about grinding ressources to go nowhere. I enjoyed the game for a while but it is a grind fest. You play for a very long time and you still make no progress because there is no progress to be made.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soul_starter

@mark1974 said:
@soul_starter said:

When you see other players they are just a glowing orb with a name. We will likely get player models with the next update.

If you want a game with a lot of fighting or co-op multiplayer this is the opposite kind of game you are looking for and I would advice you to not bother with it. In fact if a game without a point seems like a bad thing then you wont like this game. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like the idea of a game letting you play it however you want and giving you no real direction and just making your own thing out of it. Obviously people like me are going to be in a minority of gamers. I like all kinds of games though and am open to radically different ideas. I like seeing the boundaries pushed and developers trying ambitious ideas even if the game itself fails.

O absolutely love freedom but from everything Ive read and heard, its just going to different planets and gathering resources. Thats not worthy of full price admission and it is meaningless. I mean what kind of adventure am I supposed to have? Games like Fallout, Skyrim, heck even TW3 which I dont like that much, let you explore and do many different things your way and tell your own stories. The GTA series may actually be the best at that. Drive up a mountain, drive off, parachute down, or fly a plane over a city and then glide down to a rooftop. You end up with so many stories to tell your friends.

Not sure if NMS is that if its so basic. BUt I'll keep an eye on various updates.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mark1974

@kittennose said:
@mark1974 said:

Holy fluff mate, you are way to invested in this.

It's ok to be invested in something, to care or to promote something and to discuss things in a sociable and friendly way. Being cynical and spreading negativity across the internet is no way to go through life. It may work as a coping mechanism for the pain of real life failures but it would be better to address the root of the problem. Trolling is a cry for help and I am willing to help you if I can but I would suggest you start a new thread for that.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mark1974

@soul_starter: Yeah, it is very basic compared to those games you mention. You have to be a big fan of the space theme and seamlessly flying from planet to planet. It also helps if you are a big fan of artwork that was on old sci-fi novels as this game has a nice aesthetic to it like that. And even still you may not like it. I get a lot of enjoyment from playing the game in the Hub that players have created and seeing what others create and discover. I read the reddit pages a lot and the community adds a lot to the enjoyment of the game I think. I like the lure of finding something different than anyone else has. I like that there are a lot of different ways to play the game and seeing the different approaches people take. I would give it a few more updates and then take a look at it.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KittenNose

@mark1974 said:

It's ok to be invested in something, to care or to promote something and to discuss things in a sociable and friendly way. Being cynical and spreading negativity across the internet is no way to go through life. It may work as a coping mechanism for the pain of real life failures but it would be better to address the root of the problem. Trolling is a cry for help and I am willing to help you if I can but I would suggest you start a new thread for that.

Just because people don't like a game doesn't mean they are attacking you. There is no need to construct grand conspiracies in your head. Different strokes for different folks, you know?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mark1974

@kittennose said:
@mark1974 said:

Just because people don't like a game doesn't mean they are attacking you. There is no need to construct grand conspiracies in your head. Different strokes for different folks, you know?

I do not now feel or have ever felt that anyone was attacking me. Now the way some have treated Hello Games, that is another thing.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KittenNose

@mark1974 said:

I do not now feel or have ever felt that anyone was attacking me. Now the way some have treated Hello Games, that is another thing.

Well then maybe stop attacking people for having another take on the game.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mark1974

@kittennose said:
@mark1974 said:

Well then maybe stop attacking people for having another take on the game.

You and I both know that I have not attacked anyone. You have a pathological need to troll and have the last word. It is literally impossible for you to not respond back.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KittenNose

@mark1974 said:

You and I both know that I have not attacked anyone. You have a pathological need to troll and have the last word. It is literally impossible for you to not respond back.

Mate, that is what we call a personal attack.

Khyaramel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Khyaramel
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Always loved it

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

Calling No Mans Sky a dumpster fire would actually be an insult to dumpster fires.