What's a hardcore gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
I hear people say pc,ps3 and xbox360 is for the hardcore gamer. Wii and wiiU is for children...I want to know when you're a hardcore gamer? Is it the hours you game,the the games you play,games you have beaten,the more consoles you have?
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

The people who call themselves "hardcore" gamers are the immature children that feel the need to be "mature" by playing M rated games and avoiding anything with an E rating.

My friend in elementary school had this same mentality. Thankfully he no longer does.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
a target audience for marketers.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
People like this  :P
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Hardcore gamers are the type to relentlessly complete a videogame. Finish the storyline,all of the side missions, all colectables. achievements, trophies, Put a lot of hours into these activities. With a lot of time devoted to practising and getting good at a game. Getting and finding everything. 100% completion. Then mastering the game. Fighting games are a good example. In days gone by mastering and becoming expert at Shoot the ups. In the era of Coin-op Arcades the people who were "Good Gas" or "Good Gravy" were very skilled in SHUMPS, and Fighting games. Or other genres other than shooters and fighting games. The guys who hold the world records for games like PAC MAN and Donkey Kong. Are examples of Hardcore games the amount of hours/time to become really good at Arcade coin op games. Which were always set to the highest difficulties by the arcade managers.

The genre does not matter as this can be done with almost any type of game. Being a Hardcore gamer is the amount of time or sheer hours put into videogaming, a single game or working on a couple a the same time. Today with the demise of arcades The Hardcore gamers are harder to observe. In the days of arcades it was the people you would see day after day at the local arcade. practising there "craft" These days since everything is On-line you do not see hardcore gamers. Or anyone else since on-line gaming has more or less. taken away direct social gaming. On-line gaming is done alone. Even if you are playing against many people at once. On-line gaming is "Indirect social" gaming. The face to face competition of old school hardcore gamers is no more. No it is done on-line.

So the "Short-bus" answer is the amount of time defines a hardcore gamer. Not the genre. Almost any game from Halo, Call of dutys, RPGs JRGPS, RTS, fighting Platformers and my favorite genre. "Shoot them ups" (Raiden series) I was "Boss" in this genre. during my teens.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Some sort of self-validation as if the games they play are the real ones and the ones that they don't, don't matter.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

1.Someone who LOVES games,and checks gaming news every day,and their fave subject is games,and areas in their life are related to videogames,and KNOWS,and i mean KNOWS his/her sh!t about games.

2.Someone who plays only really difficult games/only games they think that are worth of their time.

I belong to the first category.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I hear people say pc,ps3 and xbox360 is for the hardcore gamer. Wii and wiiU is for children...I want to know when you're a hardcore gamer? Is it the hours you game,the the games you play,games you have beaten,the more consoles you have? Borrizee
Don't listen to fanboys because they are tools and anything but hardcore gamers.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
In my opinion there's a simple thing that defines a "hardcore" and "casual" gamer. A Casual gamer is someone that plays games once in a while because they either are with friends who play them or they do it for brief entertainment, either out of boredom or during a travel for instance. A Hardcore gamer is someone that sees the gaming as a hobby and a big part of their entertainment in their daily lives, in addition they usually show more interest in the industry then the casual gamer does. As far as the whole consoles thing, I find it silly that the Wii is stamped as for children. It may be the console with the most child friendly games of the bunch, Excluding the PC, but for the most part those games are intended for everybody.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Someone who feels the same way about games as a comic book nerd would about comic books.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
People who play games in a hardcore way. Practicing dozens of hours to get perfect 300 in Wii Sports bowling is pretty hardcore, I tell ya. It's not the game they play, but it's how they play.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#12 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

The people who call themselves "hardcore" gamers are the immature children that feel the need to be "mature" by playing M rated games and avoiding anything with an E rating.

My friend in elementary school had this same mentality. Thankfully he no longer does.

Vickman178

Some sort of self-validation as if the games they play are the real ones and the ones that they don't, don't matter.

whiskeystrike

Was pretty much going to say both of these.

Though not everyone who identifies as a hardcore gamer is immature and childish. But most of the time when I see it brought up, the argument mostly consists of "If you don't play ____(insert their favorite game here, which is almost never a nintendo title) then you're a stupid casual gamer, you're a fake, you suck, you don't deserve to breath the same air as me, and you are the cancer killing the gaming industry!!"

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
a person who enjoys video games that, somehow, has a very hard center.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
well hardcore gamers are really those that play games more than just casually pick up the controller and play. Hardcore gamers consider it a hobby
snesmast4r2260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 snesmast4r2260
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Borrizee"]I hear people say pc,ps3 and xbox360 is for the hardcore gamer. Wii and wiiU is for children...I want to know when you're a hardcore gamer? Is it the hours you game,the the games you play,games you have beaten,the more consoles you have? Bigboi500

Don't listen to fanboys because they are tools and anything but hardcore gamers.

Praise the lord jesus christ **** miighty
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#16 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I don't know, I don't like the term and I find it embarrassing. To me a gamer is a gamer, I prefer using the term "Gaming Afecionados" (I know I butchered it) as a better term to describe someone who is passionate about gaming and the industry.

The only place I hear the term "hardcore gamer" is in SW and that place is full of idiots that don't really know anything. So if they are "hardcore gamers" than I'm better off not being one.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Borrizee

[QUOTE="Borrizee"]I hear people say pc,ps3 and xbox360 is for the hardcore gamer. Wii and wiiU is for children...I want to know when you're a hardcore gamer? Is it the hours you game,the the games you play,games you have beaten,the more consoles you have? Bigboi500

I don't but some people are getting really on my nervs with discussions like this. I like to play games,I don't care about the system or console. If a game is good in my opinion I play it. At home we have ps3,xbox360.3ds. At friends I play pc and wiiU. I just like games
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#18 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

In my opinion, a hardcore gamer is someone who games very frequently and strives for 100% completion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

360 & PS3 sure have little games that would interest me...

:P

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Vickman178

For some reason, I read this as "Thankfully he no longer exists" :lol:

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Hardcore gamers - those that play more hours than you do Casual gamers - those that play fewer hours than you do
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Borrizee
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]Hardcore gamers - those that play more hours than you do Casual gamers - those that play fewer hours than you do

haha,one to think about...
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Sometimes, I hate people putting too many loaded definitions just to make themselves look "superior" or "special" as some "hardcore" gamers do. These things are not what makes someone "hardcore." It is irrelevant if the person is skillful or not, professional or not, being a "hardcore" gamer is one who is passionate about aspects of gaming (the games, the industry, etc.). A casual gamer has a casual, or passing, interest in gaming which fits most people who play video games.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Sometimes, I hate people putting too many loaded definitions just to make themselves look "superior" or "special" as some "hardcore" gamers do. These things are not what makes someone "hardcore." It is irrelevant if the person is skillful or not, professional or not, being a "hardcore" gamer is one who is passionate about aspects of gaming (the games, the industry, etc.). A casual gamer has a casual, or passing, interest in gaming which fits most people who play video games.

thom_maytees

No!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

thom_maytees
Very well put.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts
a person who enjoys video games that, somehow, has a very hard center.yellosnolvr
My personal favourite so far :P
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Vickman178

THIS.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I felt pretty hardcore after getting all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy. Being hardcore isn't about what system you play on, it's about your dedication to gaming in general. If you are on this forum talking about video games, I guess that pretty much validates your qualifications!