What's a good game console for a 5-year-old girl?

hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 hd_hammah_17
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

I have a niece in kindergarten, and she's the only one of her siblings to not have her own device to play games on. She really seems to enjoy playing games though, so I thought maybe I'd get her one for Christmas either this year or next year.

My first choice is a Nintendo Switch. This is the most obvious one because it's very popular, has a lot of kid-friendly Nintendo games, and is the cheapest out of all of them.

My second choice is a PS5. I'd have to wait until next year to get this for her, but it's supposed to have the best power and graphics, plus backwards compatibility with PS4 games.

My third choice is an Xbox Scarlett. Again, I'd have to wait until next year, but full backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 and Original Xbox, plus launching with Halo Infinite makes it seem attractive.

My least likely choices are PS4 and Xbox One. These are on their way out, as they will be replaced and made obsolete next year by PS5 and Xbox Scarlett. I don't wanna get her something that won't be contemporary anymore right after she gets it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

The 3ds. Built for children, and you can buy any games for her as Mature rated games is only 9 or 10 total and quite rare on shelves (Atlus made jrpg and Resident Evil)

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Switch which is my 4 year olds fav. There are games on the store which are perfect for her.

Or Xbox. My 6 year old fav, She has access you gamepass which 80% of the games are pretty much kids games anyway.

Most 5 year old girls aren't interested in graphics power or FPS games. They just want to play what ever their friends are.

hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hd_hammah_17
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

@sakaixx: 3DS is vastly outdated and not getting new games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@hd_hammah_17: she is 5 years old.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@npiet1 said:

Switch which is my 4 year olds fav. There are games on the store which are perfect for her.

Or Xbox. My 6 year old fav, She has access you gamepass which 80% of the games are pretty much kids games anyway.

Most 5 year old girls aren't interested in graphics power or FPS games. They just want to play what ever their friends are.

While I think 5 is still too young for a child to play games, even for a Nintendo game in the matter of speaking. When my daughter turn 7, I wasn't trying to get her into video games like me, she just happened to stumble and watch me play my Xbox 360 Halo 3 and wanted to play it. I introduce to my old school and favorite console Gamecube and she played Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine and Mario Party. After that, she got into games and I always give her more Nintendo games, and build her first ever gaming PC. Now 11 years old, she loves her Nintendo Switch. As her Dad, she's the only child I have in my life (as far as I'm aware of) and I give her more freedom but I sure ain't gonna give her M=Mature rating games and I try to be a good Dad as I can :)

When it comes to introducing kids to video games, always go with any Nintendo console, but I recommend give them SNES, N64, or Gamecube and age recommended should be 7 at least but 5 is too young in my opinion.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'd go with the Switch.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

If this was ten years old I would probably write something different but here we go_

Much as I use my PlayStation 4, I think both Xbox and PlayStation should be a "no" at that age. Last thing you want is a child being part of is online banter at that age, which can get pretty aggressive. And most the games, even Fortnite have sly mature themes.

My first online game was Outbreak on PlayStation 2 and my Guardian was very shocked by some of the language, and this was a time of far more restrictions and no voice-chat. And that's not even going into the games actual themes.

A regular Switch is too fragile for someone that age honestly, the Switch Lite if you go that route. However while I think a lot more games on that platform have next to none sexual themes, still have a sexiness to a lot of the games. Even Nintendo exclusive. So that may be a concern you have, I dunno. Varies from region-to-region.

3DS would be the wise option honestly. Or even one of the official retro mini consoles.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Switch Lite would be perfect.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

the Nintendo switch.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#12 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

A cheap console from a store in 2006

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I’d say that the Switch Lite would be the best choice.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8771 Posts

Sega Genesis Mini. It has two Disney games you can play together and there are only 3 buttons, beside the directional.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

For a 5 year old, I would do the 3ds, the library is huge and it wont hurt as much if she breaks or loses it.

She might not even care for gaming in the long run so I wouldnt start her off with something too nice. Unless your planning on buying it for yourself but acting like it's for her ;)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

To a person who's never had a gaming device before, I probably wouldn't buy a new and expensive console. She might get bored of it after a week. Switch is the best choice between them though.

Otherwise, the 3DS, like others have said. It's great, has a great library and is sturdy. Children drop things often..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

@livingdeadman: ....what?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@livingdeadman: Tv's don't cause eye strain (Damage) in kids eyes unless they are really close) but they do to adults. The 3d effect the 3ds uses does though, its really not recommended at all until the age of at least 12.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Since many have said the 3DS, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the 3D feature can be harmful for the eyes of children under the age of 6 (some even say 7). Here is Nintendo's health and safety documentation where it is mentioned. As such, either go with a Nintendo 2DS (same system without the 3D feature) or lock the 3D feature in the parental control settings. This guide explains how.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#24 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

When I was 5 I was horrible at games, but still enjoyed them a lot. It might be worth looking into some retro systems or handhelds, since you could find them at a cheaper price and buy a few games even. But that's your call. If you think a newer system would be affordable enough and a fine choice then go for it. The big thing is the games, finding games this 5 year old could enjoy playing.