whats a games tilt?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PrivateJessard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 PrivateJessard
Member since 2005 • 1257 Posts

on reviews on magazines and websites of games it will say something about a games tilt.

WTFs TILT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

on reviews on magazines and websites of games it will say something about a games tilt.

WTFs TILT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 

PrivateJessard

I believe it refers to the reviewer's favor or bias towards the game.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

When a reviewer tallies up the score of the reviewable features like the graphics, sound, etc you come up with the average which ultimately becomes the game's score. Sometimes that final number doesn't really reflect how they feel about the game.  The tilt is there to adjust the final score to make it fall in line with how much they like the game.

For instance I reviewed Final Fantasy X a while back.  I scored it high in just about all the categories.  But the final score ended up being in the high 8's.  Thing is, I didn't really like the game. I just didn't find it to be that fun.  So I gave it a low tilt, so that the final score was in the 7's which is more how I felt about it.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Example- If Bionic Commando was reviewed by today's standards, it would get low scores in every category except maybe gameplay because the grappling hook is awesome.  However, anybody who enjoys fun would give that game a 10 for tilt, only because it is Bionic Commando.

Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Danold
Member since 2005 • 3174 Posts

Example- If Bionic Commando was reviewed by today's standards, it would get low scores in every category except maybe gameplay because the grappling hook is awesome.  However, anybody who enjoys fun would give that game a 10 for tilt, only because it is Bionic Commando.

AtomicTangerine

Great example, just hearing that name brings back memories.

kanedajjj5757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 kanedajjj5757
Member since 2007 • 1632 Posts
it means your personal bias towards the game...
rizla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 rizla2007
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts
yh it does, it basically means how much you keep playing it and is it a fun game that keeps u going.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

From GameSpot's review guidelines:

Reviewer's Tilt (Tilt)
While this component is not intended to be directly representative of our overall experience with a game, we use it to influence the overall rating one way or another, based on our overall experience. For instance, a technically impressive game that's highly unoriginal may be tilted low, while a game with a truly outstanding story but an unremarkable presentation may be tilted high.