What year did Online for consoles become popular?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

I was just looking at my old online PSN profiles and just remembered that I use to play the sports games on my ps2 back in 2004. I also remember playing Killzone back then as well man I loved that game, The game that got me started with online shooters was Tom Clancy's Lockdown I played the hell out of that game when I rented from Blockbuster.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It became popular with the launch of the 360 and the rise of Live. I played online with PS2, but it wasn't really popular until the 360 launched

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RenegadeSteve

@The_Last_Ride: Really what year was that?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

@renegadesteve said:

Well the 360 was launched in 22nd of November 2006, but it wasn't until Gears came in 07 it really took off

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Yea around then end of 2006 to 2007. I remember playing call of duty 2 on xbox 360 which was a launch title. That's when I started to notice console gaming getting big. I had the most fun online those days.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@renegadesteve said:

Well the 360 was launched in 22nd of November 2006, but it wasn't until Gears came in 07 it really took off

huh? 360 came out in 2005.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

2004: Rainbow Six 3 and Halo 2

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Halo 2 in 2004 was very popular. It helped make Xbox Live a success. They'd already had a few online games (Unreal Championship, MechAssault, etc), but Halo took it from mild curiosity to THE big thing people were talking about.

When the game launched it hit the news. And that only rarely happens, at least around here where I live. They were talking about it on local channels. I even saw awards show presenters talking about Halo 2.

When the 360 launched, Halo 2 and it's LIVE features were the most played game on the platform for a while. I don't want to make claims that I'm unsure of so I won't go giving any numbers or whatnot, but it was going strong to say the least.

Playstation's online offerings were good as well. SOCOM was fun. But while somewhat popular, I don't remember anyone being as nuts for SOCOM as people were for Halo 2. Largely, one would assume, because the PS2 didn't have an on board HDD or network card. Those were all peripherals sold separately while the Xbox had them built in. It wasn't until the PS3 that Sony got their system ready to be put online out of the box.

If I had to pin it down to one singular moment, I'd say the launch of Halo 2 took console online games from "kind of interesting" to being the big new thing of the time. Now whether or not ushering in the age of the online console shooter was good thing or not is a debate for another time. ;)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Yeah I'd say that it really took off when Halo 2 launched.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

2004 with Halo 2. Everything blew up after that on consoles.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RenegadeSteve

@ZZoMBiE13: So is that why Sony released the PS2 slim with the Ethernet port?

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

@ZZoMBiE13: So is that why Sony released the PS2 slim with the Ethernet port?

I wouldn't presume to know. But if pressed, I'd assume they added it because the market was moving toward an online gaming focus. Sony of the time was always quick to react to the consumer demand and it usually paid off for them nicely.

The PS2 coming out a year before the Xbox was a blessing and a curse. Mostly a blessing though. They had not only the whole gaming market for a year, but they had the DVD market by being the cheapest DVD player you could buy at the time. But I only remember the Dreamcast having internet connectivity being built in before the Xbox (But I could be completely wrong on that. I'm old, cut me some slack). So at the time it launched, it would have been impossible and foolhardy to add in costly components for a trend most people wouldn't have predicted. The only real downside is that when you need a peripheral to enjoy a game, you immediately limit your potential audience for a title. I can't say it's a sure bet, but I'd wager that if every PS2 and PSTwo had all the hardware built in, SOCOM could have been as big as Halo. Maybe bigger. There were certainly more Sony machines in the market than Microsoft machines at the time.

I know my third PS2(PSTwo?) had a port so I tried SOCOM and it was pretty sweet. Beyond that, I got nothin but speculation and supposition.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

I think it took off after the release of Halo 2, which was on November 9, 2004. Everyone flocked to xbox at that point, and a ton got live just for halo 2.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

It`s a matter of fact it took off with the socom series back in 2002 on the ps2, but the first console that went online was the Sega Dreamcast in 2000 with games like Phantasy star online which i played countless of hours on dialup connection, good times :)

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@ojmstr said:

It`s a matter of fact it took off with the socom series back in 2002 on the ps2, but the first console that went online was the Sega Dreamcast in 2000 with games like Phantasy star online which i played countless of hours on dialup connection, good times :)

You could play online with the Genesis via xband and Meganet, and the Saturn had SEGA NET for games like Virtual On: Cybertroopers. You could probably go online with even older consoles, but I'm not familiar with them.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ojmstr

@Renegade_Fury: Oh you could? Damn Sega was really ahead of times back then. What year was this? To bad the Dreamcast didn`t succeed because that was one awesome console, im so glad i experienced games like Shenmue and Phantasy star Online, those games are legendary.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

My Live account started with a 48-hour trial that came with Halo 2.

The first time I remember mention of online for a console was during the 16-bit generation with the X-Band modem for SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@ojmstr said:

@Renegade_Fury: Oh you could? Damn Sega was really ahead of times back then. What year was this? To bad the Dreamcast didn`t succeed because that was one awesome console, im so glad i experienced games like Shenmue and Phantasy star Online, those games are legendary.

Early 90's. I think Meganet came out in 1990, but it wasn't released outside of Japan. SEGA NetLink I think came out around year 2 of the Saturn, so maybe '96, but I don't remember. The Dreamcast was definitely ahead of its time too for being online and having the games you mentioned. It's just too bad so few noticed it back then, but at least its games are getting a little bit more recognition these days.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Dreamcast opened the gates. Xbox Live walked through them.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

2004: Rainbow Six 3 and Halo 2

Exactly. I actually like Rainbow six 3 and it was way better than halo 2 too me. But both those games brought the start of console online gaming, or made it big, i should say.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ojmstr

@Renegade_Fury said:
@ojmstr said:

Early 90's. I think Meganet came out in 1990, but it wasn't released outside of Japan. SEGA NetLink I think came out around year 2 of the Saturn, so maybe '96, but I don't remember. The Dreamcast was definitely ahead of its time too for being online and having the games you mentioned. It's just too bad so few noticed it back then, but at least its games are getting a little bit more recognition these days.

Thats totally awesome, didn`t know they where that early out with online games. tnx for info.I`ll search up some of those games you mentioned on youtube and hopefully ill find some gameplay videos.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ojmstr

From my point of view online gaming on consoles started to become big allready with the original Socom Us Navy Seals launched on the ps2 in august 2002. This game sold 2.65 million copies and there where hundreds of thousands of people playing this game online.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RenegadeSteve

@Renegade_Fury said:
@ojmstr said:

I think Youtube has a couple vids on the online gaming history, which I do believe you are correct that it did start in the 90s but it just didn't catch on at the time.

@ojmstr said:

Yeah the Dreamcast was ahead of it's time I remember getting offered the choice between having my own PS2 or a Dreamcast as a kid, that Sonic game was so addictive along with Crazy Taxi

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@renegadesteve said:

huh? 360 came out in 2005.

ops, sorry, that was a typo :P

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ojmstr

Found this interesting video on youtube about the Sega Saturn and netlink, i had no idea that any consoles was online before the dreamcast until Renegade_Fury told me about it, here is the video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac-yvh7g-u8

Here is something that uploader wrote in the comment section of that video which i find interesting as well :) >> GameLine was a download service only. Intellivision had a download service like that too and was the first console to go online. Satelleview only worked for two hours a day while the satelite was over Japan and was a download service only. You're forgetting Sega Channel...another download only service. Xband modems were not supported by Nintendo or Sega. Sega did however partner with Xband to make the Netlink and officially supported it...whcih is why it's built into the games.

The questions are how many people in the world played sega saturn online? how many people in the world played the sega dreamcast online and how many people should play online on any console before you can call it popular to play online on consoles? :)

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ojmstr

@renegadesteve: I played Crazy taxi alot, awesome game;)

hshaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hshaidar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

this is interesting. :)

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

I remember having a blast with SOCOM II on ps2 back in the day.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RenegadeSteve

@ojmstr: Remember the demo that came with the system? which had House of the dead on it and Power Stone, I can't tell you how many hours spent just on that demo alone

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

The days of Xbox and PS2 without a doubt paved the way for it.

It wasn't huge but, it was growing rapidly

around 2004 when major titles were being released it definitely exploded

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Try 2004. The release of the masterpiece that is Halo 2. All hail its greaaaaatness. Seriously that game kicks ass!

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

2004 with Halo 2. Everything blew up after that on consoles.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

People are forgetting Socom and how popular it was, millions used to play it, came out before Halo 2 and was much better.

Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast was massively popular too.

Other than singular games it wasn't until 2007 and COD4 that online on consoles really kicked off into more of a service.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ojmstr

@renegadesteve said:

@ojmstr: Remember the demo that came with the system? which had House of the dead on it and Power Stone, I can't tell you how many hours spent just on that demo alone

I had power stone and house of the dead 2 with gun controllers, super awesome games. There where so many good games on the Sega DreamCast, it really is strange that the console didn`t make it.

Here are links to the videos of those two fantastic just for the nostalgia:)

Power Stone > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rQW3Axk7o

House Of Dead 2 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYlILBtTNn0