What would you say the worst Sonic game of all time is?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

User Lists: 0

#1 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Sonic a series we cherished in the early 90s has become a bit of a laughing stock in the industry with some awful game but here's the question what would you say is the worst you have played.

My vote would go to Sonic Labrthyn it's slow and boring and difficult and the controls are just plain broken and its not what Sonic is all about.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Toss up between Sonic Heroes and Sonic Adventure 2. Never played the ones this gen.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Even the best franchises have bad games. And Sonic is not alone, Zelda and Mario both have had some awful games. Anyone remember Mario is Missing or Mario's Time Machine? Or how about the CD-i Zelda games? But ever since Sonic stepped into the world of 3D, his games have sucked. In fact, the only 3D Sonic game I have enjoyed is Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn. But Sonic Adventure and beyond are complete crap. Great looking graphics, but horrible gameplay and way too kiddie characters and storys. Granted I stopped playing them after Sonic Heroes because they were so bad. I love the 2D stuff, though. All 3 of the Sonic the Hedgehog games on Genesis were fan-freaking-tastic. As was Sonic and Knuckles. The 2 Sonic the Hedgehog games and Sonic Chaos for Master System were good too (although not as good as the Genesis ones). And I liked the Sonic Advance games for GBA.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#4 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Out of the ones I've played, it's easily Sonic and the Secret Rings. I'm just too affraid to play Sonic The Hedgehog (the new one wit that title.)

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

Out of the ones I've played, it's easily Sonic and the Secret Rings. I'm just too affraid to play Sonic The Hedgehog (the new one wit that title.)

BuryMe
You should be. In fact, don't even talk about it. It's that horrible...
mariostar0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mariostar0001
Member since 2009 • 46245 Posts
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. The original game was ruined in a port that should have been far better.
Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
I loved the megadrive, GBA and DS 2D sonics, and i actually really enjoyed Sonic adventure 1 & 2 for the most part. But after soic Heroes i pretty much stopped playing any new sonic games
R_pwns_n00bs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R_pwns_n00bs
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts

BuryMe
Trust me youve made a wise decision
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

Even though I love Sonic, the worst games in the franchise for me are Sonic Black Knight (very easy and really short) and Sonic Riders 1 (control was just a mess, never could get the hang of it).

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2600 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) A slap in the face of the franchise.

TheZeroChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 TheZeroChill
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Sonic and the Secret Rings is just plain horrible. The first time I actually played it, I got so infuriated at the controls that I left the game, vowing never to play it again.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Sonicplys

yeah that game was pretty bad. played the demo and felt like i was going to vomit. I cant wait for Sonic 4 though! Looks like an upgraded version of Sonic3. Should be awesome!

edit: ok so after doing a search. I found a game on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYwqu7N3Yg

Sonic R (for the saturn) looks to be THE worst. but Sonic Labyrnth for Gamegear looks equally as bad..... BARF!!!

AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts

Well, let's see... Sonic Heroes wasn't that bad, but it got boring very quickly. The controls aren't that great, and I really hated the Robot Carnival/Storm boss stages, they take very long, and once you lose a life, you have to start all over. I will admit, though, I used to like Sonic Heroes, but growing up, I started to like the game less. Shadow the Hedgehog wasn't that bad as a spin-off game, but that game got pretty dull too. Sonic the Hedgehog Next Gen was my worst Sonic game, it had the same problems as Sonic Heroes and Shadow, but what really hurts it are the terrible load times, they take way too long! I am also not fond with the rest of the newer Sonic games (Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Unleashed, etc.). I used to really like Sonic the Hedgehog, but I may stop being a Sonic fan very soon... :(

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I wanna say Sonic Heroes because it was a big disappointment. They must've made the levels for Team Sonic's story and then they got lazy and decided to give the other 3 stories the same exact levels in the same exact order. It got old after the second level.

But I think I've got to give it to Sonic Drift. I played it on the Gems collection for the Gamecube and it was pretty lame.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Sonicplys

Every time I play that game, I think to myself: "How can this be considered a bad game?"

No joke, that game is pretty fun and it's a shame that most people don't realize that. At least playing as Sonic is fun.

Sonic 06 was one of the first games I got with my PS3. I was hooked, I played it for 6 hours straight to beat Sonic's story the day I got it because it was so fun.

Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
As far as games he's simply appeared in, i'd say Sonic Spinball. Very chaotic. Frustrating. Terrible soundtrack. Crap graphics. Just flat out bad. As far as classic sonic goes, i guess sonic 2 for gamegear. easily one of the worst 2d sonic games. As far as 3d sonic goes, gonna have to say Sonic and the Secret Rings. it had somethings going for it but, the utter lack of control of Sonic himself added on by some of the most overly difficult and mundane objectives to ever be in a Sonic game makes Secret Rings distinctively worse than any other 3d Sonic game.
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sonicthemegaman

[QUOTE="Sonicplys"]

GeoffZak

Every time I play that game, I think to myself: "How can this be considered a bad game?"

No joke, that game is pretty fun and it's a shame that most people don't realize that. At least playing as Sonic is fun.

Sonic 06 was one of the first games I got with my PS3. I was hooked, I played it for 6 hours straight to beat Sonic's story the day I got it because it was so fun.

I thought Sonic had the best mechanics in that whole game. Shadow was decent since he was similar to Sonic but, Silver was too slow and levels kinda drag on. I like telekinesis though. I S ranked most of the levels including Sonic and Shadow Very Hard levels. Basically the problem with the game is how unfinished it is which is a pretty big bummer. It makes a decent Sonic Adventure 3 in disguise worse than it needs to be. Really though, Spyro 4, Crash Twinsanity, and X-Blades were unfinished but Sonic is not on the cover so no one talks about those games. I think ScrewAttack ranked Sonic 06 as worse than Big Rigs. That pretty much sums up the credibility behind the Sonic 06 hate right there. -_-
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts
I never really liked Sonic. Then Ratchet enter my world...
initialanarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 initialanarchy
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

Sonic 2006. The other, newer releases had less hype, less to live up to, and ultimately less to mess up. I watched a Let's Play of this trainwreck in action. Hilarious, from start to finish, the number of design choices that have essentially been the worst to be featured in adventure games for years were staggering. From sonic adventure onward, the whole story arc of Sonic got more and more ridiculous and convoluted, this is the epitome, the zenith, I have never laughed at something so bad for so long. A beautiful abominaton from start to finish.

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

BuryMe
AHHH Don't say it's name out loud !
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Emerald_Warrior
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. The original game was ruined in a port that should have been far better. mariostar0001
Did you mean "Sonic the Hedgehog" for the Sega Genesis? Because if you did, that is the original release, it's not a port. And it's a fan-freaking-tastic game! The Master System "Sonic the Hedgehog" is a different game, but it was released after the Genesis one. Or is there some game out there called "Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis" that I somehow missed?
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#24 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"]Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. The original game was ruined in a port that should have been far better. Emerald_Warrior
Did you mean "Sonic the Hedgehog" for the Sega Genesis? Because if you did, that is the original release, it's not a port. And it's a fan-freaking-tastic game! The Master System "Sonic the Hedgehog" is a different game, but it was released after the Genesis one. Or is there some game out there called "Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis" that I somehow missed?

It appeared n the GBA and had glitches virtually everywhere.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight.

Both of them are terrible games.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

Shadow the Hedgehog was a disgrace. Yeah, swearing is real mature.

Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic moved by himself and it wasn't fun at all. The stupid horrid music had nothing to do with Arabians.

Sonic and the Black Knight, leave the sword fighting to Link. Again, the music was pathetic.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 was okay. Could had been better though without the version of Earth, humans, and introducing Rouge and Shadow. Oh, Big also.

Sonic Heroes was fine as well. But, the characters talking during the gameplay was completely annoying. The teams weren't bad, it just would have been optional instead of forcing us to play as the others to finish the game and going through the same stages again.

Sonic Unleashed was better. The music had the tunes that Sonic was supposed to have. Everything except the werehog were fine. That's the worst part for me.

slipkill89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 slipkill89
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

Sonic Heroes

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Sonicplys"]

Talldude80

yeah that game was pretty bad. played the demo and felt like i was going to vomit. I cant wait for Sonic 4 though! Looks like an upgraded version of Sonic3. Should be awesome!

edit: ok so after doing a search. I found a game on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYwqu7N3Yg

Sonic R (for the saturn) looks to be THE worst. but Sonic Labyrnth for Gamegear looks equally as bad..... BARF!!!

Sonic R was actually decent, even with the annoying controls and silly music, at least once you got used to its controls. Sonic 3D blast for the saturn was somewhat underwhelming given the controls there were really hard to adjust to, and the visuals werent much of an improvement over the mega drive version
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Sonic R was actually decent, even with the annoying controls and silly music, at least once you got used to its controls. Sonic 3D blast for the saturn was somewhat underwhelming given the controls there were really hard to adjust to, and the visuals werent much of an improvement over the mega drive versionDarkman2007

Coincidentally, both of those games weren't developed by SEGA, but by Traveler Tales, a western game studio.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

As far as im concerned Sonic The Hedgehog 06 is probably the worst, just check out how many problems it had in this vid

Sonic O6 Glitches

Its bad enough when a game isn't great all around but when it has game breaking glitches all over the place that's just inexcusable for any game nowadays.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Sonic R was actually decent, even with the annoying controls and silly music, at least once you got used to its controls. Sonic 3D blast for the saturn was somewhat underwhelming given the controls there were really hard to adjust to, and the visuals werent much of an improvement over the mega drive versionPanzer_Zwei

Coincidentally, both of those games weren't developed by SEGA, but by Traveler Tales, a western game studio.

I think handing a top franchise to another company is never a good idea.
1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

Sonic Blast for Game Gear. It was so awful, they upped the graphics so much that the game ran really slow, thus defeating the purpose of Sonic which is to go FAST!

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Sonic R was actually decent, even with the annoying controls and silly music, at least once you got used to its controls. Sonic 3D blast for the saturn was somewhat underwhelming given the controls there were really hard to adjust to, and the visuals werent much of an improvement over the mega drive versionDarkman2007

Well, in the case of SEGA that holds true for the most part. With recent examples like Alien Syndrome, Golden Axe, SEGA Rally, After Burner: Black Falcon etc.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]Coincidentally, both of those games weren't developed by SEGA, but by Traveler Tales, a western game studio.

Panzer_Zwei

Well, in the case of SEGA that holds true for the most part. With recent examples like Alien Syndrome, Golden Axe, SEGA Rally, After Burner: Black Falcon etc.

While I will agree that handing off a franchise is never a good idea, I did thoroughly enjoy SEGA Rally Revo.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I think handing a top franchise to another company is never a good idea.AcidSoldner

While I will agree that handing off a franchise is never a good idea, I did thoroughly enjoy SEGA Rally Revo.

SEGA Rally 1 & 2 were not just enjoyable, they were genius. In every aspect: gameplay, graphics, music.

Sides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sides
Member since 2003 • 4289 Posts

easily two oh oh six

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

SEGA Rally 1 & 2 were not just enjoyable, they were genius. In every aspect: gameplay, graphics, music.

I have not played the sequel, but Sega Rally 1 is a great game indeed, and im not a big racing game fan, yet I still like it
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
sonic adventure
Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 Brawl578
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

Sonic Heroes - Bleh

Shadow the Hedgehog - Horrible controls, uneven graphics, unneeded gameplay elements (Guns, Vehicles, ) and horrible framerate.

The Game That Shall Not Be Named - You all know what it is...and how bad it is.

Secret Rings - Decent, but could've been better.

Black Knight - Double bleh. It had better movement controls compared to Secret Rings, but the sword combat....ew.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Emerald_Warrior
sonic adventureohthemanatee
Oh my God, yes! It is horrible because Sonic Adventure is the game where Sonic stopped being the platformer guy with attitude and was changed into the 3D character that was cutesy and geared towards the kiddies. I HATE cutesy Sonic and all his stupid little sidekick characters. And the Chaos are just Pokemon in disguise, I HATE the chaos.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]sonic adventureEmerald_Warrior
Oh my God, yes! It is horrible because Sonic Adventure is the game where Sonic stopped being the platformer guy with attitude and was changed into the 3D character that was cutesy and geared towards the kiddies. I HATE cutesy Sonic and all his stupid little sidekick characters. And the Chaos are just Pokemon in disguise, I HATE the chaos.

Not only that but the game itself wasn't that great, it was short and very unpolished
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"] While I will agree that handing off a franchise is never a good idea, I did thoroughly enjoy SEGA Rally Revo.Darkman2007

I have not played the sequel, but Sega Rally 1 is a great game indeed, and im not a big racing game fan, yet I still like it

Then you missed one of the best racing games of all time unless you can still find the deluxe arcade set up in your area.

The Dreamcast edition is obviously underwhelming compared to the arcade experience, and the translation itself is also not on par to the quality of the arcade edition. However the flaws of the DC edition are easily overlooked thanks to the excellent extra modes and options. It's a must-have of the system.

white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]sonic adventureohthemanatee

Not only that but the game itself wasn't that great, it was short and very unpolished

He's not in Mobius anymore. Now, he's with boring humans. :roll: I know it was originally in Japan, but what we grew up with, had nothing to do with humans. Mobius was the fanasty world that made Sonic popular. They should have just left their version of Sonic over there and kept ours over here.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Sonic Shuffle is pretty bad even though its technically a party game.

Real Sonic with levels and stuff though I would have to go with Sonic Heroes or Sonic and the Secret Rings.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Sonic Heroes was the first time I noticed a big drop in quality, I didn't play any Sonic games after that.

Outside of the main branch Sonic games though there were quite few games not up to par, Knuckles Chaotix was awful, Sonic R was entertaining but over too fast, and Sonic 3D Blast was a little bit dull.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

Then you missed one of the best racing games of all time unless you can still find the deluxe arcade set up in your area.

The Dreamcast edition is obviously underwhelming compared to the arcade experience, and the translation itself is also not on par to the quality of the arcade edition. However the flaws of the DC edition are easily overlooked thanks to the excellent extra modes and options. It's a must-have of the system.

Ive heard its better then the first sega rally, I may get it if I find it for a good price, id imagine it would be a common and probably cheap game, in any region.
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts
Toss up between Sonic Heroes and Sonic Adventure 2. Never played the ones this gen.Rocky32189
:( I would say Sonic Labyrinth, I couldn't beat the first boss on that one.
E-123Wario54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 E-123Wario54
Member since 2010 • 1020 Posts

BuryMe

Exactly.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sonic 3D Blast this installment was the first to try to put Sonic the hedgehog in 3D. This was first tried on the Sega Genesis and the game ended up Sucking the big one. The Sonic the hedgehog series never recovered after this game.

sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sonicthemegaman

As far as im concerned Sonic The Hedgehog 06 is probably the worst, just check out how many problems it had in this vid

Sonic O6 Glitches

Its bad enough when a game isn't great all around but when it has game breaking glitches all over the place that's just inexcusable for any game nowadays.

Gohansephiroth
Outta curiosity, which version of the game is that? I never experienced half of that stuff.