What would you grade this generation of gaming so far?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Poll What would you grade this generation of gaming so far? (25 votes)

A 44%
B 32%
C 24%
D 16%
F 4%

This generation only has a couple of years left and we are getting closer to the end of it what would you grade it so far? for me it's a D they are some great games this gen but they're far and few in between to say the least. Nothing to me stands out as a new IP that is special but hey that's just me and then there is the whole microtransactions and lootboxes which is really putting a damper on this gaming generation. I'm extremely disappointed with the gaming industry right now and I been gaming since the late 80's but anyways what is your grade and why?

• 
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

in console land this gen would maybe scrape a b, so far. maybe.

it got off to a slow start as per. 2014 'twas a barren year. then it started to pick up. there's been a few big name games that under delivered for various reasons, but a lot of games that did deliver. hzd is my pick for best new ip this gen.

hopefully by the end of this year it'll be a solid b, mid to late next year an a. fingers crossed

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I give it a B. It wasn't bad and still nice to me.

Last gen I would give it a C or maybe D. I only enjoyed a few game in the end and it was the infamous gen that put DLC on the map ...

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Considering the games I have played, I give it a D for Disappointment. The pouring amount of DLC, season passes has made me stingy and impatient :(

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

So far I've been pretty satisfied, even though the gen started very slowly.

If I think of my all time top 10 favourite games list, I think 2 games from this gen have cracked into my top 10 (Witcher 3 & Inside), with a few more from this gen definitely in my top 20 (ie. Ori, Wolfenstein 1/2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3 etc). So I think that's pretty good. Probably hasn't surpassed last gen yet, but this gen isn't over yet.

Solid B from me so far.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Because of 2017 and early 2018 it's a B as a few have mentioned.

If this was a conversation brought up in 2016; I'd have stated a C

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#6 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I myself graded it a C.

I like my 3D platformers and for the most part Nintendo offers that in comparison to other big time companies.

The last ‘recent’ game I played would have been Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us.

Graphics don’t mean everything to me...but those games have great gameplay.

I hardly use my PS4. I’m really only waiting for The Last of Us 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3.

As for the Nintendo Switch I’ve been playing online races of Mario Kart Deluxe on and off...just waiting for Kirby Star Allies now.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

I'd say it's a solid B. It had a slow start and a lot of lousy business practices have become common, but there are many great games to play and that is what matters.

That said, I would give most other generations an A.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I've basically had my best year of gaming the last year. A

Lootboxes are pretty annoying though yes

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Better than most people give it credit for. Gamers have turned into bitchy divas who cry about everything, make mountains out of molehills. They act like it's the end of the world if such-no such game has a microtransaction or said game did something to not sexualize a character as much and the anti-PC crowd shits on it. They boycott games then blame publishers for shutting down the studios that made the games they refuse to buy. Gaming journalists don't even bother, they just repeat what they see on NeoGAF.

I love gaming, have fun gaming, but it sucks identifying with gamers these days.

JustJohn888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 JustJohn888
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

This generation of gaming has been pretty decent in my opinion

Hinata2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hinata2
Member since 2018 • 20 Posts

ive given it an A as you can really know whats best until youve played everything

Blu17000086

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blu17000086
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I would say this generation as just scraped a pass. No games so far have really given me the 10/10 experience but to be honest I don't have the money to get most AAA games.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

Well, a C. Loot boxes, Microtransactions, EA's getting worse, bad Call of Duty game called Infinite Warfare. Most people play MP games than SP games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RSM-HQ
@rockfield said:

Well, a C. Loot boxes, Microtransactions, EA's getting worse, bad Call of Duty game called Infinite Warfare. Most people play MP games than SP games.

Changing the games you play would fix a lot of those issues. Just don't support EA or Activision_

Seems simple enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:
@rockfield said:

Changing the games you play would fix a lot of those issues. Just don't support EA or Activision_

Seems simple enough.

But the problem is when it infects into your favorite series it's not just EA and Activison. It's Take two, WB, Ubisoft ect.. it's just a matter of time before it ruins a series that you once enjoyed just wait until all single player games have it.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

PC AA indie market is friggin amazing right now, best ever

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

'B'

I am not a fan of loot boxes, I don't think they add anything to the games that utilize them. Rainbow Six: Siege and For Honor are two absolutely outstanding games, but Ubisoft's approach to both harms them.

Overall I would say the games themselves have been far from disappointing, but the direction many companies take while making those games is nothing but. Still a 'B' though, I've had a lot of fun.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I gave it a C. Too many games released unfinished (even if I like them like FFXV). Also this generation lacks good amount of new franchises. Sure, we got Nioh, Horizon, and new others. At least we have some good reborn of old franchises (that didn't sell well) like Nier and Gravity Rush. But when I think about my favourite games on PS4, most of them are just another title on franchise that I played before (Like Tales of, Yakuza, Senran Kagura, Dynasty Warriors, Uncharted and Tomb Raider).

Also it won't be too long until all games will have microtransations, and not just Ubisoft, EA and Activision.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ

@warmblur said:
@RSM-HQ said:
@rockfield said:

Seems simple enough.

But the problem is when it infects into your favorite series it's not just EA and Activison. It's Take two, WB, Ubisoft ect.. it's just a matter of time before it ruins a series that you once enjoyed just wait until all single player games have it.

It already did, and since a decline they had to revisit the series and seems to have worked in fans favor (Resident Evil)

Maybe one day but I'm not someone who held any of those Publishers you mentioned with must customer credibility.

Most people don't even like Take Two, they just like Rockstar Games. Ubisoft has always been about shady practices so it's not a surprise. And Warner Bros only got into gaming for easy money. Non of this is shocking news to me.

Last I checked The Evil Within 2 has no micro-trasactions, or tacked on multiplayer. So Tango Games so far has done me no wrong, in fact I'd just give credit to Bethesda as a Publisher. A lot of people trash on how flawed the in-house Bethesda Studio games are (Fallout/ Elder Scrolls), but as a Publisher I will give them fair credit for telling these other sly Publishers how it's done.

Also a huge fan of Platinum Games, and From Software which also deliver with none of these main complaints.

And while I like Capcom overall, I avoid the Fighting genre almost entirely now, and Capcom is a big part of the blame. I even feel they convinced Namco to mess up the Tekken series. As they are all about selling the games piece by piece; and is very disrespectful to fans.

Monster Hunter team (Capcom) know how to give people a good experience with free DLC called Events. And while many see MH as a multiplayer series, the entire game(s) can be played solo and the difficulty is well-adjusted for Single Player.

While I have felt the cold taste of a greedy gaming company, many of the games I seem to enjoy are from developers that respect the fanbase and it would be a lose to them to make a bold move like always online/ microtransactions.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I'd give it an A-. however leaning towards A. While it had a slow start in 2013-14, I think that 2017 was likely one of the best years for gaming I've experienced. I just could not keep up with the insane amount of games that were launching, and 2018 has already started off pretty strongly for me as well with Monster Hunter World and Kingdom Come Deliverance both being fascinating games that really pique my interest, along with a significant number more to look forward to later on.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

A easily i love my ps4 pro first party exclusives games line up