what would make Halo cooler? post your ideas.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wraith117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wraith117
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

What do you think would make the already cool game, Halo become better?

1. fight grave-mind at the end of Halo 3.

2. Bring back the sentinel enforcer.

3. .........

screenhustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 screenhustla
Member since 2006 • 659 Posts
if they made something innovative
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TheGreatGuero
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts

if they made something innovativescreenhustla

Cute. Always amusing when people rip Halo for not being innovative when it pretty much reinvented the FPS genre for console games and continues to set the stage for games to follow.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="screenhustla"]if they made something innovativeTheGreatGuero

Cute. Always amusing when people rip Halo for not being innovative when it pretty much reinvented the FPS genre for console games and continues to set the stage for games to follow.

Innovation includes coming up with something new. Stealing ideas from the PC and putting it into a closed-platform PC is hardly innovative.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheGreatGuero

Yeah, Halo stole ideas from other games. Right. The game also has a save feature, did it steal that from Zelda? Oh man, you're right. This game is a complete rip-off. It stole everything. Get this... it even uses grenades. Oh, the nerve!

All games borrow from other games. It isn't stealing, it's expanding games in general. Where would games be if developers didn't learn from other games? That's right, they wouldn't have gone anywhere. Halo does a lot of innovative things. First of all, it beautifully streamlined FPS controls, making them more accessible for anyone. Grenades with the left trigger? You mean I don't have to toggle through all my weapons to find them? Awesome. Only being able to hold 2 weapons at a time so I don't have to hide as I switch through all 20 that I'm realistically carrying at once? Wonderful. Simple and intuitive vehicle controls? Excellent! Crouching for super sneakiness? Stealthy! Sticky grenades?! Unbelievable! Melee attacks assigned to a face button? KA-POW! Now, I could go on, but I'm sure I've made my point. It may have not been the first game to do any of these things, but... so what? I couldn't tell you what games did it first. In fact, I'm sure hardly anyone could tell you what games did it first. Probably because they weren't very good to begin with. The fact that it has borrowed aspects from other games doesn't mean it lacks any innovation. You don't have to be the first to do something to be innovative, if that were the case, no games today could be considered innovative. Halo took these things, and it did them justice. It was a great game, it set a new standard for console FPS games with its solid controls, excellent gameplay, and its notable level of polish. Surely it deserves some applause.

screenhustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 screenhustla

screenhustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 screenhustla

Not ripping it....just telling the truth. I am a big fan of the the genre and the game itself but I know that other than online matchmaking Halo hasn't brought anything new to the table. There hasn't been a reinvention of FPS, if you look at Goldeneye and Halo they are basically the same minus the graphics and console.

*we can now throw grenades while shooting* thats a step in the right direction

valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts

Yeah, Halo stole ideas from other games. Right. The game also has a save feature, did it steal that from Zelda? Oh man, you're right. This game is a complete rip-off. It stole everything. Get this... it even uses grenades. Oh, the nerve!

All games borrow from other games. It isn't stealing, it's expanding games in general. Where would games be if developers didn't learn from other games? That's right, they wouldn't have gone anywhere. Halo does a lot of innovative things. First of all, it beautifully streamlined FPS controls, making them more accessible for anyone. Grenades with the left trigger? You mean I don't have to toggle through all my weapons to find them? Awesome. Only being able to hold 2 weapons at a time so I don't have to hide as I switch through all 20 that I'm realistically carrying at once? Wonderful. Simple and intuitive vehicle controls? Excellent! Crouching for super sneakiness? Stealthy! Sticky grenades?! Unbelievable! Melee attacks assigned to a face button? KA-POW! Now, I could go on, but I'm sure I've made my point. It may have not been the first game to do any of these things, but... so what? I couldn't tell you what games did it first. In fact, I'm sure hardly anyone could tell you what games did it first. Probably because they weren't very good to begin with. The fact that it has borrowed aspects from other games doesn't mean it lacks any innovation. You don't have to be the first to do something to be innovative, if that were the case, no games today could be considered innovative. Halo took these things, and it did them justice. It was a great game, it set a new standard for console FPS games with its solid controls, excellent gameplay, and its notable level of polish. Surely it deserves some applause.

TheGreatGuero

That's right man!
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

This.

The reason neither of the sequels came close to the original's single player campaign IMO.

evilcupcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 evilcupcake
Member since 2008 • 161 Posts
a sprint button and pelicans and phantoms
Moroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Moroes
Member since 2008 • 2041 Posts
Just to let you guys know, System Wars is south from here. Anywho, I think they need to do something to make their online play funner. To tell you the truth I enjoyed Halo 2's online play more than Halo 3's.
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
Take out the online play and focus on delivering a SP campaign that is better than Combat Evolved. Maybe deliver the portions as two different games, by two different teams. All I know is this, I downloaded Halo CE onto my 360, and it's still really, really, fun. Halo 3 came real close, but not quite.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44627 Posts
I also really wanted to have a big boss battle with Gravemind at the end of Halo 3 as well. Other then that though I pretty much found the game to be perfect. Of course more of anything would make it cooler. More maps, more weapons, more vehichles, more big boss battles, etc.
wraith117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wraith117
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

YOU ARE RIGHT!!! I to found the whole series to be perfect! But there are many ways to make the game better, but i still say it is among one the best games ever made!!!

AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts

TheGreatGuero

You seem really angry, I recommend you take a deep breath.

And I can't really say, I haven't played Halo so I'm not in any place to say. I have played it at my friend's house before and It was pretty fun for a console game.

Fireball2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Fireball2500
Member since 2004 • 3421 Posts

Making the Arbiter actually worth something in Halo 3 storywise.

Fighting Gravemind in Halo 3, as well as the Prophet of Truth.

Have Spartan allies in every single game.

Fight humans as the Arbiter in Halo 2.

Have an epic end-all battle between a huge human army and Brute army during Halo 3, and you watch it, and you're forced in when all the humans are dead, with hardly any Brutes dead, with a melee weapon.

More actual bosses.

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts
How about automatic weapons with a greater range than 10 feet or an assault rifle that doesn't require half a clip to kill someone?
Bladefighter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bladefighter23
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts
Make bigger levels, the maps in both singleplayer and multiplayer in Halo CE and Halo 2 are a lot bigger than the ones in Halo 3. Also make it darker like the first Halo. Also make it feel like a real war and more emphasis on the campaign. Fighting Gravemind would own. It feels like I'm some special ops team with a few soldiers rather than an all out war. Like it should.
twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Better maps, less lag, and more guns on the maps.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts
Giant enemy crabs which would require a strike to their weak points in order to achieve massive damage.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
Cowbell.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
I wouldnt mind having more than 1 spartan in the game like the stories. One thing I wouldn't mind is more realism. Like if you see a wraith or a banshee coming, if you don't have a rocket launcher, or make a lucky gernade thhrow or two, or perhaps hop on, then u can't destroy it. Make more options for taking out enemies. Give you choice of maybe hanging back and sniping, or maybe blowing straight through with assault rifle. But give the enemies more intelligence and powerful so the odds are the same no matter what u do. make it dangerous.
Charleshaas94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 Charleshaas94
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

get rid of the system where a class is determined by an armor ability, that is lame, class should have a more profound effect, for example, a heavy Spartan like Jorge from reach who has extra protection and melee power but reduced stamina and speed possibly cant use some vehicles because his armor is too heavy, and a light Spartan who has unlimited sprint, doesn't take falling damage, can drive light vehicles, move faster, jump higher, but possible cant use some weapons because he isn't as strong as a heavy trooper, has increased stealth and can drive vehicles faster because less weight is more horse power lol. but the lighter weight means less shield power and less health, and they can have a Spartan that is a mix of heavy and light. and obviously balance them

, also when you get a new helmet it should change the hud, the stories behind the helmets are cool, but seriously add something more to the helmet, for example. the ugly evo helmet gives you an option for a toggle panorama view, or the helmet designed for e.o.d should give you a reduced damage from explosions, eod does mean explosive ordnance disposal, maybe by getting achivements you get different armor, not level, like say after surviving 10 explosions you get eod boots then after 25 survived explosions you get the eod shoulder pads, you get the idea, and say you get the ability to sense grenades and mines from the helmet, and the other parts just slightly decrease damage from things that go boom maybe the eod boots delay mines . the gloves give you the ability to throw a grenade back. and the stuff like wetwork and pathfinder, those too were sadly lame, instead of giving you one class to decide how you play , have how you play develop your class, say you start out as a standard Spartan, hopefully standard light armor, standart heavy armor, or standard all purpose Spartan, you start playing and you are a grenade nut, after you kill 10 people with grenades you get a little achievement saying something like nader and you unlock a special armor item that will very slightly increase your explosive throw range or power,

and armor abilitys should be something that is a nice additive but not what your Spartan is revolving around, I know they don't have time to put smart stuff into halo 5 but take note for halo 6 boys, some otherbothers I have,, a wart hog should be slowed by having a full cabin and each Spartan class with different weight slows it down by a different percent, because from what I remember a Spartans armor is like 1 ton, that is a load.

also why are Spartans these billion dollar war machines but they use all the same weapons as the puny unsc guys, Spartans need some xl Spartan only guns and vehicles,

people aslo love to complain about halo staying halo, I mean this is ok for you crazy people who think you should make a game over and over and over again,, halo really needs some ground breaking changes otherwise 343 is just never going to get out of my mind set of the people who got halo and didn't do anything to it, man o man if I was one of the guys making these games id have to be arrested for being the reasom amercians don't do anything but play video games.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Simplify. Out with all these armor effects, classes and sprint... (COD blasphemy)

It's Halo, all we need are guns and nades.

Go back to the FPS with the best gameplay and mechanics.

(halo 2 & 3)

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@TheGreatGuero said:

I agree with this 100%. It's also helped make my point. Halo 4 was not truly innovative. It just ripped off Call of Duty's gameplay. It abandoned it's own formula in favor of the most popular.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Oh sure...the forum that disallows thread necromancy stores a thread from five years ago, but can't remember my post count from 5 months ago (or whenever the forum switch happened). That makes sense.

But also...this answer is easy - get rid of Master Chief. Him and Kratos - worst of the worst amongst faces of popular franchises. I love ODST and Reach...brilliant games...and MC is nowhere to be seen. Can't help but feel that's not a coincidence.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22417 Posts

@screenhustla said:
if they made something innovative

Yeah... go away.

Anyway, I dunno, I kinda like it the way it is.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

@Kevlar101: Ha. I haven't posted at Gamespot in probably 4-5 years, so it was a little shocking to get an email notification about this. Anyway, I've decided to reply to say that I absolutely agree about Halo 4. It totally breaks my heart that Halo, the previous king of the console FPS genre, has reduced itself to imitating Call of Duty. Although this actually had first occurred with Halo: Reach if I remember correctly. It's a total disservice to Halo fans. It feels like the makers of Halo have essentially given up and become submissive to the COD franchise, and that's just totally outrageous. I would argue that COD's multiplayer has never been nearly as good as Halo's used to be back in the days of Halo 2 and 3.

Don't get me wrong though, I do consider myself a fan of the COD franchise and have had plenty of fun with those games in the past, though I'm certainly more than burnt out on them. I truly hate how how Activision is determined to milk their franchises as much as they can and ultimately run them into the ground (See: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero - 2 of my all-time favorites :( ). It's incredibly evident that the COD fan base is diminishing rapidly with the yearly releases of more and more disappointing entries in the series. With the way things are going, I expect that COD is going to die off completely within another 3-4 years. I don't expect Halo to fare all that much better unless they break away from the COD formula and reestablish the series. The difference, however, is that Halo is Microsoft's flagship franchise, so they're not going to abandon it and will likely make efforts make it innovative again. Activision, on the other hand, has historically shown a history of not caring about the life of a franchise, but instead has focused on capitalizing as much as they can from franchise while it's hot. It's as if they acknowledge that this an industry of trends, so they exploit the current trends as long as they can, while being confident that they'll end up with a huge new darling franchise in the future.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#30  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@TheGreatGuero said:

@Kevlar101: Ha. I haven't posted at Gamespot in probably 4-5 years, so it was a little shocking to get an email notification about this. Anyway, I've decided to reply to say that I absolutely agree about Halo 4. It totally breaks my heart that Halo, the previous king of the console FPS genre, has reduced itself to imitating Call of Duty. Although this actually had first occurred with Halo: Reach if I remember correctly. It's a total disservice to Halo fans. It feels like the makers of Halo have essentially given up and become submissive to the COD franchise, and that's just totally outrageous. I would argue that COD's multiplayer has never been nearly as good as Halo's used to be back in the days of Halo 2 and 3.

Don't get me wrong though, I do consider myself a fan of the COD franchise and have had plenty of fun with those games in the past, though I'm certainly more than burnt out on them. I truly hate how how Activision is determined to milk their franchises as much as they can and ultimately run them into the ground (See: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero - 2 of my all-time favorites :( ). It's incredibly evident that the COD fan base is diminishing rapidly with the yearly releases of more and more disappointing entries in the series. With the way things are going, I expect that COD is going to die off completely within another 3-4 years. I don't expect Halo to fare all that much better unless they break away from the COD formula and reestablish the series. The difference, however, is that Halo is Microsoft's flagship franchise, so they're not going to abandon it and will likely make efforts make it innovative again. Activision, on the other hand, has historically shown a history of not caring about the life of a franchise, but instead has focused on capitalizing as much as they can from franchise while it's hot. It's as if they acknowledge that this an industry of trends, so they exploit the current trends as long as they can, while being confident that they'll end up with a huge new darling franchise in the future.

I didn't even realize that this thread was this old..... wow lol i'm just as surprised as you are i guess.

Anyway, I can pretty much relate to everything you are saying, and it's true. Honestly, all of this is (in my opinion) evidence that the time of the shooter has truly passed. The 6th and 7th gens both were heavily influenced by shooters, with many popular FPS series making their debut in the 6th gen, and then exploding into mega-popularity in the 7th. And now, in the 8th gen, their Golden Age is over. And I truly believe that the cause of that is all this capitalizing. Just milking a franchise dry. I borrowed COD: Ghosts from a friend , and I just hated it. I hated everything about it. It made me sick. I got the same feeling from BLOPS2 the previous year. And MW3 the year before that. Thing is, I still like some of the older titles. And i'm pretty sure that Ghosts actually sold worse than the previous COD titles.....

Luckily for Halo, it hasn't capitalized quite like COD has, so IF COD does collapse in the next 3 - 4 years or so, I think Halo will still be around for a little while after that.....but not for much.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheGreatGuero

@Kevlar101: I feel similarly about COD now. I refused to play Ghosts. You know, I've actually pretty much stopped playing video games at this point, and I think the monotony of games like COD are a big part of the reason why. I'm just completely burnt out on games, to the point where I've hardly played them at all over the last couple years. Whenever I look forward to an upcoming game, it ends up letting me down. I think the industry has reached a period of stagnation, and I think it goes beyond just FPS games.

Believe it or not, despite totally loving Call of Duty 4, I never played a COD game online until Black Ops. I really enjoyed Modern Warfare 1 and 2's campaigns, but never played them online until years later. I got Black Ops and never even finished the campaign because I found it to be pretty dreadful. Had plenty of fun playing it online with my cousin and friends, but basically it got to the point where I was only playing it because it was the ONLY game I could count on being able to play online with friends. I bought MW3, expecting COD to be back to form with Infinity Ward but it didn't amaze me. I reluctantly bought Black Ops 2 as well, and after that, decided I was stopping with the franchise no matter what. Looks like I got out at the right time considering I've heard and read mostly bad things about Ghosts.

I was really excited for Halo 4 after finding Reach to be a huge step backwards, and yet I only ended up playing it for a few hours in total. I was just so bothered by the COD controls in Halo. I kept naturally playing it as if it still had Halo 2's button mapping, so that was frustrating, and I wasn't okay with allowing myself to associate Halo with COD controls. Would have been nice if there was an option for classic Halo controls available, but there wasn't. I also think Halo's multiplayer has become pretty convoluted with just way too much stuff (kind of the same way COD is). I wasn't enjoying the new modes very much either. I must say, I don't think I really care at all about either franchise now.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Make halo cooler? Hahaha, my dear friend...Halo has already reached the ultimate plateau for being freaking cool! Awesome graphics, deep story with engaging lore, fun gameplay....and not a single iron sight mechanic in sight!( HA, see what I did there) But no seriously Halo is one the few remaining video game franchises I still deeply respect, along with witcher, Bioshock, infamous and basically anything Naughty dog/Valve pump out.

Come on guys if you're honestly hating on halo, you're either a fanboy or you are clearly not playing it right. I'am a PS guy, and hell I love halo.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#33 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Necro thread