What will be chosn for GAME OF THE YEAR

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

hmmmmm so what do you think will make the list. i think:

gta iv and mgs4. not sure what else. gears2 will probz make the list but wont win noooooo.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
probably gta4 for the world, mgs4 for me
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#3 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts
Isn't it really pointless to ask now, given that many of the expected candidates haven't even released yet? We have no idea how good some of these games will be.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It would be odd for a game to get a 10 and not win GOTY. Unless another game gets a 10 too.

patriots2871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 patriots2871
Member since 2007 • 21445 Posts
MGS4 or GOW2
SOL1D_SNAKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOL1D_SNAKE
Member since 2008 • 668 Posts
If you ask me, it'll be neck and neck between Gears2, GTA4 and MGS4.
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
voting for MGS4 here
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
unless MGS4 gets a 10, shouldnt it be impossible for a game other than GTA IV to get GOTY? unless its like some Wii game.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
What about SSBB?
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#10 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

What about SSBB?Thiago26792

If voting ended today, it's obvious that GTA4 would win on every site that wasn't Nintendo-focused. Everything else out now is essentially out of the running.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
I do hate to say it, but it is likely that nothing will surpass GTAIV in GameSpot's or any other stie's mind. It's odd to think that the GOTY has already been decided by April, but that definitely seems to be the likely case.
IntegraBella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 IntegraBella
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts
I say MGS4. most highly anticipated game to come out.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
GTA San Andreas got killer scores -- 9.9 from IGN, 9.6 from GameSpot -- and it got passed over for games with slightly lower scores for GOTY, so you never know. There's quite a few possible contenders yet to be released.
MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
MGS4 easily. No other game has a chance, there will be other great games nominated but no.....nothing will beat out MGS4.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

unless MGS4 gets a 10, shouldnt it be impossible for a game other than GTA IV to get GOTY? unless its like some Wii game.OneWingedAngeI

games are judged differently depending on platform and genere...and GOTY has never been about score.

of the 4 games that got 10's here...only one ever got GOTY...and that was back when the PC and Console awards were seperate, and The Sims would have been serious competition.

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
I would HATE for GTA IV to win GOTY, I'm very upset the game got a 10. I think it was nothing but pressure for the reason they gave it a 10. As for the games that I'm hoping will get GOTY, either Ninja Gaiden II of Banjo 3. Gears 2 and MGS 4 will either be incredibly good or drastically disappointing.
esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts
MGS4 isn't even out yet...
Mister_Biggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mister_Biggie
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts

My vote will have to go to Fallout 3. A game released late in the year, by Bethesda it can't be bad. It will be fresh in everyones minds when the voting takes place. Open world survival RPG / FPS.

amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts
MGS4
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
GTA IV has to be it
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OneWingedAngeI

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]unless MGS4 gets a 10, shouldnt it be impossible for a game other than GTA IV to get GOTY? unless its like some Wii game.cobrax75

games are judged differently depending on platform and genere...and GOTY has never been about score.

of the 4 games that got 10's here...only one ever got GOTY...and that was back when the PC and Console awards were seperate, and The Sims would have been serious competition.

i forgot to mention PC, but think about it logically. as far as the PS3 and 360 are concerned, unless a game gets a 10 there is no reason they should get a GOTY over GTA IV. otherwise gamespot would be admitting their system is flawed.

it could go to a wii or ps3 game because they are judged by different standards, but if its a ps3 or 360 game there is no way it can go to a non 10 rated game. a shooter is scored differently than a racer, but in the end a 10 is the pinnacle for both. you can't have a 9 rated racer beating out a 10 rated shooter in GOTY. it is pretty illogical.

this argument has nothing to do with if people think GTA deserved a 10 or not, so please do not bring that up. the fact is that it got one, so if they gave goty to a game on either of those systems that did NOT get a 10, they would be saying that the 10 they gave out was irrelevant.

Mister_Biggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mister_Biggie
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts

Not trying to be cute here, but the fact is gamespot's opinion is that they think the game deserved a 10. I'm not sure on this but isn't GoTY decided by votes? It also may come to a shock to most but, yea, the rating system is flawed.

Why flawed? Because once agin, it's opinions.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts
Resistance 2 rawr.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]unless MGS4 gets a 10, shouldnt it be impossible for a game other than GTA IV to get GOTY? unless its like some Wii game.OneWingedAngeI

i forgot to mention PC, but think about it logically. as far as the PS3 and 360 are concerned, unless a game gets a 10 there is no reason they should get a GOTY over GTA IV. otherwise gamespot would be admitting their system is flawed.

it could go to a wii or ps3 game because they are judged by different standards, but if its a ps3 or 360 game there is no way it can go to a non 10 rated game. a shooter is scored differently than a racer, but in the end a 10 is the pinnacle for both. you can't have a 9 rated racer beating out a 10 rated shooter in GOTY. it is pretty illogical.

this argument has nothing to do with if people think GTA deserved a 10 or not, so please do not bring that up. the fact is that it got one, so if they gave goty to a game on either of those systems that did NOT get a 10, they would be saying that the 10 they gave out was irrelevant.

the system isnt flawed....GOTY is just not based on score, it never has been.

Score is determined by one person here...GOTY is determined by everyone.

thats why only one of the games that got a ten got a GOTY, and that was with only consoles.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OneWingedAngeI
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]unless MGS4 gets a 10, shouldnt it be impossible for a game other than GTA IV to get GOTY? unless its like some Wii game.cobrax75

the system isnt flawed....GOTY is just not based on score, it never has been.

Score is determined by one person here...GOTY is determined by everyone.

thats why only one of the games that got a ten got a GOTY, and that was with only consoles.

out of curiosity did those games that beat out 10's come out on the same system? how is GOTY determined by everyone? it's picked by the GS editors. the review was done by their chosen representative. we also know they tend to react unfavorably when the reviewer doesn't do what they want (oh i went there :P )

i know it isnt based just on score, but lets be realistic. if you are in the room deciding, and its not a wii or PC game, its going to be the one that got the 10 rating.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 EnigManic
Member since 2008 • 1804 Posts

For GOTY, I think it will go to one of the following:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Saints Row 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Halo Wars

Resident Evil 5

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts
Well GTA IV got a 10, that would probably make it the number 1 choice to be it. Unless, another game gets a 10 this year.
Avatar image for ChelseaBoyNo1Fa
ChelseaBoyNo1Fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChelseaBoyNo1Fa
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Id have to say GTA 4 simply because of its popularity! Its a great game and once again the creators havent let anyone down with everything they have produced in the game! But id like to say Fifa 09 might be in it! im a hige fan of fifa!!
EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EnigManic

With great upcoming games like Fatal Fame 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Saints Row 2, it's really hard to predict.

kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

fatal frame 4?? w0w

stjimmy222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 stjimmy222
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts
Most would agree and say GTA 4 due to the massive impact it has had...but this is the last Metal Gear this year...its a better series by far...
EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EnigManic

I don't think GTA4 is as strong a contender as you might think. That ten it recieved is questionable, considering the game was released with some glitches and a major bug, not to mention its rating was undoubtedly influenced by the rediculous amount of over-hype the game recieved. Hyping a game because it's a great game is one thing. OverHyping it just because it's the next installment in a popular series is irresponsible.

I think MGS4, Halo Wars and SW: The Force Unleashed will be stronger contenders.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
It's not the ratings it's gotten, it's the splash it made. It's going to be GTA IV, easily.
qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts

gears 2 or MGS4.

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
It is still a little early to call, but I would have to say GTA IV will be Game Spot's and many other's choice. GTA IV got Game Spot's first 10/10 score in seven years. I highly doubt that another game will recieve the same score this year; in fact, I would put money down on it. GTA IV probably won't be my favorite game this year, Fallout 3 is coming out and the RPG genre is my favorite, but I would not challenge a GOTY award for GTA IV. It deserves it.
Mikeymania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mikeymania
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I think it will be a dog fight between GTA4 and MGS4, but my dark horse for game of the year is EA's Mirror's Edge
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44323 Posts

From what I expect or know of the games so far my top five for contention would be:

1. Gears of War 2
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. Grand Theft Auto IV
  4. Metal Gear Solid 4
  5. Spore
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I don't think GTA4 is as strong a contender as you might think. That ten it recieved is questionable, considering the game was released with some glitches and a major bug, not to mention its rating was undoubtedly influenced by the rediculous amount of over-hype the game recieved. Hyping a game because it's a great game is one thing. OverHyping it just because it's the next installment in a popular series is irresponsible.

I think MGS4, Halo Wars and SW: The Force Unleashed will be stronger contenders.

EnigManic

Oh yes, every review out there was biased. That makes a lot of sense.

Everybody is wrong but you, right sport? And coming from a guy who thinks Saint's Row 2 is GOTY material.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EnigManic

Everybody is wrong but you, right sport? And coming from a guy who thinks Saint's Row 2 is GOTY material.Grammaton-Cleric

That's just my opinion.If you wanna discuss SR2, I suggest you demonstrate the guts to debate it in the appropriate thread.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 EnigManic

And just for the record..

SR2 offers improved graphics and physics over SR1. You can now fully customize your character, including how you walk, talk and fight. You can customize the vehicles, which now include monster trucks, motorcycles, speed boats, jet skis, planes and helicopters. you can fully customize your cribs. There are hundreds of buildinginteriorsto explore. The AI for NPCs has been improved to be more realistic. Online play includes playing the actual story online with a friend. Activities include improved versions of the best ones from SR1 as well as some new ones.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Everybody is wrong but you, right sport? And coming from a guy who thinks Saint's Row 2 is GOTY material.EnigManic

That's just my opinion.If you wanna discuss SR2, I suggest you demonstrate the guts to debate it in the appropriate thread.

You mean that thread where I mopped the floor with your pedantic logic? That thread?

The "guts" thing was hardcore though. So very scary...

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EnigManic
You mean that thread where I mopped the floor with your pedantic logic? That thread?

The "guts" thing was hardcore though. So very scary...Grammaton-Cleric

this is getting childish. You came nowhere close to winning that argument with me. For the simple facts that you still refuse to acknowledge all the improvements and new features SR2 has, and you refuse to break down the features and activities in GTA4 for objective comparison.

Let's take this into the appropriate thread.