What Were Your Favorite Third-Party NES Game Developers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

We all know that Nintendo themselves made some of the best games on the NES. Anyone who's a fan of the NES pretty much can agree on this. Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Legend of Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, etc.

So aside from Nintendo, who were some of your favorite NES game developers?

Mine:

Konami/Ultra (Same company, used different names to dodge Nintendo's strict licensing policies)- Castlevania 1-3, Contra, Super C, Gradius 1 & 2, LifeForce, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3, Bucky O'Hare, Monster In My Pocket

Capcom - Bionic Commando, Mega Man 1-6, DuckTales 1 & 2, 1942 & 1943, Mighty Final Fight, Ghosts N'Goblins

Tecmo - Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Rygar

Rare - Pin-Bot, R.C. Pro-Am 1 & 2

And BTW, GameSpot only gives me 5 slots for polls, so take it up with them why I didn't include developers like Squaresoft, Tengen, Rare, and others. Sorry.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I haven't played a large number of NES games, but I'd say Capcom. Honestly, I think the Mega Man games are better then anything Nintendo themselves put on the NES. Mario and Zelda are great, don't get me wrong, (especially SMB3) but I just love Mega Man more.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Capcom

Konami

Data East (some games might have been horrible, but there were a few good ones as well)

Rare

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Konami Capcom Tecmo Sunsoft (Batman, Blaster Master) Hudson Soft (Faxandu, Adventure Island series, Bomberman)
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Without doubt Capcom wins with its Disney based games

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Sun Soft. Even their questionably bad games had some redeeming qualities, like the music in Fester's Quest (which I personally love. Not sure why everyone hates it.)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Well, this is a hard question but I think Konami were very strong on the NES. But Capcom were equally imporant.

By the way, Rare did much more NES games than what you listed (like Battletoads, Captain Skyhawk, Ironsword, Slalom, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, ect.).

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Konami, Rare, Capcom, Taito, Enix, Sunsoft

Avatar image for KillerCannonade
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KillerCannonade
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

We all know that Nintendo themselves made some of the best games on the NES. Anyone who's a fan of the NES pretty much can agree on this. Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Legend of Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, etc.

Mine:

Konami/Ultra (Same company, used different names to dodge Nintendo's strict licensing policies)- Castlevania 1-3, Contra, Super C, Gradius 1 & 2, LifeForce, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3, Bucky O'Hare, Monster In My Pocket

Capcom - Bionic Commando, Mega Man 1-6, DuckTales 1 & 2, 1942 & 1943, Mighty Final Fight, Ghosts N'Goblins

And BTW, GameSpot only gives me 5 slots for polls, so take it up with them why I didn't include developers like Squaresoft, Tengen, Rare, and others. Sorry.

Emerald_Warrior
You said third-party and then mentioned Nintendo btw. Oh and I don't agree with your first statement. On topic, key developers you seem to have forgotten to mention: ACTIVISION HUDSON SOFT DATA EAST OCEAN THQ JALECO IREM SNK ACCLAIM SAMMY just to name a few. You had a good list to but Rare? Square? Square had like one game relevant to U.S. release and Rare? Did better later.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I'll take Hudson for the win. You really can't go wrong with Adventure Island and Bomberman.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Mine:

KillerCannonade

You said third-party and then mentioned Nintendo btw. Oh and I don't agree with your first statement. On topic, key developers you seem to have forgotten to mention: ACTIVISION HUDSON SOFT DATA EAST OCEAN THQ JALECO IREM SNK ACCLAIM SAMMY just to name a few. You had a good list to but Rare? Square? Square had like one game relevant to U.S. release and Rare? Did better later.

Did you read the whole post, or just skim it? Yeah, I did mention Nintendo, I mentioned that they were a first-party game developer. :roll:

Also, read the last last sentence of my post to see why I didn't include those developers. *sigh* Or is it that you just want to start another ridiculous argument?

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Mine:

Emerald_Warrior

Did you read the whole post, or just skim it? Yeah, I did mention Nintendo, I mentioned that they were a first-party game developer. :roll:

Also, read the last last sentence of my post to see why I didn't include those developers. *sigh* Or is it that you just want to start another ridiculous argument?

I did you just assumed I didn't read the topic, the only thing you actually satetd that was true is i didn't see you wrote NIN was first party. Everything else you assumed, i was mostly referring to your top 4 choices and what you wrote in your post (Rare, Square, Tengen.) nice try though.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] You said third-party and then mentioned Nintendo btw. Oh and I don't agree with your first statement. On topic, key developers you seem to have forgotten to mention: ACTIVISION HUDSON SOFT DATA EAST OCEAN THQ JALECO IREM SNK ACCLAIM SAMMY just to name a few. You had a good list to but Rare? Square? Square had like one game relevant to U.S. release and Rare? Did better later.KillerCannonade

I did you just assumed I didn't read the topic, the only thing you actually satetd that was true is i didn't see you wrote NIN was first party. Everything else you assumed, i was mostly referring to your top 4 choices and what you wrote in your post (Rare, Square, Tengen.) nice try though.

"etc." meaning all the others I didn't mention.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KillerCannonade

Emerald_Warrior

Well my bad, i posted before you put it in.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] I did you just assumed I didn't read the topic, the only thing you actually satetd that was true is i didn't see you wrote NIN was first party. Everything else you assumed, i was mostly referring to your top 4 choices and what you wrote in your post (Rare, Square, Tengen.) nice try though.KillerCannonade

Well my bad, i posted before you put it in.

What? How is that possible when you posted after my post?

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"] Well my bad, i posted before you put it in.Emerald_Warrior

The Bottom of your post wasn't there.Let me press the back button and paste what it read:

We all know that Nintendo themselves made some of the best games on the NES. Anyone who's a fan of the NES pretty much can agree on this. Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Legend of Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid,

Mine:

Rare - Pin-Bot, R.C.Pro-Am1 & 2

AndBTW, GameSpot only gives me 5 slots for polls, so take it up with them why I didn't include developers like Squaresoft, Tengen, RareEmerald_Warrior

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"]

KillerCannonade
The Bottom of your post wasn't there.Let me press the back button and paste what it read:

We all know that Nintendo themselves made some of the best games on the NES. Anyone who's a fan of the NES pretty much can agree on this. Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Legend of Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid,

Mine:

Konami/Ultra (Same company, used different names to dodge Nintendo's strict licensing policies) - Castlevania 1-3, Contra, Super C, Gradius 1 & 2, LifeForce, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3, Bucky O'Hare, Monster In My Pocket

AndBTW, GameSpot only gives me 5 slots for polls, so take it up with them why I didn't include developers like Squaresoft, Tengen, RareEmerald_Warrior

Are you kidding me? You so don't want to be wrong that you go back and change what people said?

Hey smart guy, the edit is stamped on the time when I made the edit:

Edited on May 14, 2012 1:38 pm PT

You post is stamped:

May 14, 2012 2:35 pm PT

If your math is rusty, that means you posted nearly an hour after I did the edit that you say I changed after you posted. YOU edited the post just now, not the other way around. You're pathetic, go find someone else to troll.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"] The Bottom of your post wasn't there.Let me press the back button and paste what it read: [QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Mine:

Konami/Ultra (Same company, used different names to dodge Nintendo's strict licensing policies) - Castlevania 1-3, Contra, Super C, Gradius 1 & 2, LifeForce, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3, Bucky O'Hare, Monster In My Pocket

Are you kidding me? You so don't want to be wrong that you go back and change what people said?

You post is stamped:

If your math is rusty, that means you posted nearly an hour after I did the edit that you say I changed after you posted. YOU edited the post just now, not the other way around. You're pathetic, go find someone else to troll.

I just want to come in and say I also got a good laugh at the fact he even left the comma after Metroid. Meaning there is supposed to be more.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"] The Bottom of your post wasn't there.Let me press the back button and paste what it read: [QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Mine:

You post is stamped:

Orrrr, maybe that means that my computer messed up because when I refreshed the page a few times those same erros occured. But I mean you know everything ans just like jumping out at people because you think your right on the time, so I might as well let you since your the great mr.smarta$$ that just knows that I must have made this up and could not have been any other way. No you just jumped in and attacked me for no reason. Have fun feeling bad.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"]

KillerCannonade

You post is stamped:

Orrrr, maybe that means that my computer messed up because when I refreshed the page a few times those same erros occured. But I mean you know everything ans just like jumping out at people because you think your right on the time, so I might as well let you since your the great mr.smarta$$ that just knows that I must have made this up and could not have been any other way. No you just jumped in and attacked me for no reason. Have fun feeling bad.

Riiiiight. It made a completely random error that just happened to show things in your favor. :roll:

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KillerCannonade

You post is stamped:

Emerald_Warrior

Riiiiight. It made a completely random error that just happened to show things in your favor. :roll:

LOOK! My F** up computer screen that frequently does this does this all the time and is not random when i refresh a page:
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Orrrr, maybe that means that my computer messed up because when I refreshed the page a few times those same erros occured. But I mean you know everything ans just like jumping out at people because you think your right on the time, so I might as well let you since your the great mr.smarta$$ that just knows that I must have made this up and could not have been any other way. No you just jumped in and attacked me for no reason. Have fun feeling bad.KillerCannonade

LOOK! My F** up computer screen that frequently does this does this all the time and is not random when i refresh a page:

Hmm odd it won;t show. Here you go:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/refreshyourbrain.png/ So are you going to cry now or? Very mean spirited person. You should reduce your stress.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Mine:

KillerCannonade

You said third-party and then mentioned Nintendo btw.

Yeah he mentioned some Nintendo games, but then went on to say, "So aside from Nintendo, who were some of your favorite NES game developers?" So I have no idea why you needed to point out that he mentioned Nintendo games. He specifically clarified the purpose of the post.

Aside from that Capcom and Konami to me had some unbelieveable games for the NES. I think overall Capcom would take the prize though!

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Haha I didn't realize the argument was already on!

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KillerCannonade

Mine:

Samslayer

You said third-party and then mentioned Nintendo btw.

Yeah he mentioned some Nintendo games, but then went on to say, "So aside from Nintendo, who were some of your favorite NES game developers?" So I have no idea why you needed to point out that he mentioned Nintendo games. He specifically clarified the purpose of the post.

Aside from that Capcom and Konami to me had some unbelieveable games for the NES. I think overall Capcom would take the prize though!

We already went over that, then I told him my Comp is messed up and everything cleared up.
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KillerCannonade

Haha I didn't realize the argument was already on!

Samslayer
My point stands. Didn't see this till after I posted.
Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

SNK- Crystalis for the win

I also loved all their top down shooters like Guerilla War and the Ikari series.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

SNK- Crystalis for the win

I also loved all their top down shooters like Guerilla War and the Ikari series.

Uloset

Guerilla War was a great port while Ikari Warriors was rather poor imo.