what were the biggest cartridges for genesis?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

32 meg? and they were smaller than snes right? they had star ocean which was 48 meg?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

first of all , calling the games 32meg is misleading since Sega and Nintendo tended to refer to these figures in Megabits as opposed to Megabytes.

1Megabyte = 8Megabit, so really when Sega say "we have a 32megabit game" , they really mean 4MB , just inflated to look nice for marketing.

2nd , no 4Megabytes (32Megabits) is not the largest commercial MD game, the largest I know is Super Street Fighter 2 , which is 5MB (40 Megabit)

although Pier Solar ,which was a homebrew game, was actually an 8Megabyte game, making it the biggest MD game ever made (and I wouldn't be surprised if its bigger than any SNES game too.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

first of all , calling the games 32meg is misleading since Sega and Nintendo tended to refer to these figures in Megabits as opposed to Megabytes.

1Megabyte = 8Megabit, so really when Sega say "we have a 32megabit game" , they really mean 4MB , just inflated to look nice for marketing.

2nd , no 4Megabytes (32Megabits) is not the largest commercial MD game, the largest I know is Super Street Fighter 2 , which is 5MB (40 Megabit)

although Pier Solar ,which was a homebrew game, was actually an 8Megabyte game, making it the biggest MD game ever made (and I wouldn't be surprised if its bigger than any SNES game too.

Darkman2007

another thing to take into consideration is that, from what I heard the megadrive had better compression software

At least, that's the reason Shiny used as to why the sega megadrive version of Earthworm jim had more levels and sound effects

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

ohthemanatee

another thing to take into consideration is that, from what I heard the megadrive had better compression software

At least, that's the reason Shiny used as to why the sega megadrive version of Earthworm jim had more levels and sound effects

Mega Drive games needed more compression than SNES games too. the reason being is that the Mega Drive stores the audio is analog signal , which takes up more space. the SNES stored audio in digital form (and converted to analog via a DAC feature) , and so this saved some space on most SNES games. compression methods are really to be looked at per developer.