What was the best classic Computer for games? ZX, C54, Atari 8-bit, Ap2, IBM?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
Which was better, examples below:

IBM PC's

Apple 2 Family

ZX spectrum models

Atari Family  Commodore 64 Family

My personal Opinion

All these were great, the Atari Family had tons off great arcade ports, and ran a lot of faster games, while the ZX was often called the NEON console sue to the obvious way it uses colors. Every game on the ZX had the best look, while the C64 had more pixelated than smoother graphics, tying with late Atari 8-bit family. IBM was the worst of the bunch but had a ton of killer games being made for it. Apple II was not much of a thing for me. I usually used one only at the office. In anycase, the ZX also had tons of great games despite its graphical advantages, so I had to flip a coin between IBM, Atari, and ZX, oddly enough, the coin landed under the couch, and then I lifted it up, and it was side ways against some kind of piece of paper. So instead I decided to play 10 random games I had for each, and I still feel like the ZX and Atari are the better of the group, but those arcade ports put me leaning toward the late Atari family at the end. However, I still am not 100% sure. C64, had some good games, bit ZX IBM had more creativity. While the Atari family had a mix of both, being the one jack of all trades that did do at least above average. But I would put ZX and Atari 8-bit at the front as champion. So i wont be voting, because I can't choose, YET. However, once my decision is made later on, I will add the post.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Tough choices for IBM PC/PC Jr., Apple II, Atari Home Computers and Commodore 64/128. I just loved all of them. Atari 800 had advantage for up to 4 players. I did know only one game- M.U.L.E., supported for 4 players. I didn't know others. Apple II had great library of education games. I enjoyed LOGO, and Carmen Sandiego. I couldn't remember about C64 and IBM PC Jr while I played both long time ago. Both were also great.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19580 Posts

My favourites aren't on the list...

Atari ST, BBC Micro & Acorn Electron, Commodore Amiga, Fujitsu FM-7 & FM Towns, MSX, NEC PC-88 & PC-98, Sharp X1 & X68000

From the ones on the list though, my favourite is the Commodore 64.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NationProtector

Atari ST, BBC Micro & Acorn Electron, Commodore Amiga, Fujitsu FM-7 & FM Towns, MSX, NEC PC-88 & PC-98, Sharp X1 & X68000

Jag85
It says classics, most of your list is around 4th gen console era. Other than MSX., which is g's poll limitations fault.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

NationProtector

It says classics, most of your list is around 4th gen console era. Other than MSX., which is g's poll limitations fault.

16-bit era is not "classic"?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

8bit? Commodore 64 easily. Followed by IBM PCs.

Lol at Ataris...hiding in the closet to nit disturb loading...good times :D

atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

c64 easily imho. man so many great game that i still have like( rad warior,maniac mansion,zak mc kraken,d&dragons hillsfar, wastelnd).

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Commodore 64 was the most popular .

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

Regardless of region or language?

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I'll have to go with Commadore 64 in the early 1980's This was a huge player in the North American market. 1982-1987 Commadore 64 had a decent run as a videogame computer. An 8-bit console rather than a "real" computer. Microsoft had yet to take over with Windows 3.5. Commadore was once dominant even over IMB for a brief time. 

So Commadore made good on the concept that the NES originally tried to market with Atari in 1983. Originally NES was meant to be a commadore like full fledged computer with keyboard and floppy disk drive. Computer mouses still had not be invented during the Commadore 64 reign.

The Commadore 64 is still available today. A "retro" looking Commadore 64 is still being sold in the U.S.A. Complete with the "retro" C64 Shell. But with mordorn USB ports and somewhat beefed up. Plus for a short time. a few Commadore 64 games were made available on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console. Only 9 games were ever on the Nintendo Wii VC. 

Still the 8-bit Commadore 64 is the king of primitive gaming computers. Still possible to buy a modern "retro" version. today. Even the NES smoked the Commadore 64. When games from both systems are compared. Miner 2049 er was a horrid C64 release. As was the C64 port of Ghost N goblins. Commadore even had a port of Commando. It even recieved a port of Bubble bobble and sky Shark. Both are way better on NES. 

For a brief time C64 was king of gaming via computer. Not exactly advanced PC gaming as it is in 2013.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Commodore Amiga, imo.

And Sharp X68000, if we count Japan.

But if you mean 8-bit only, then I guess the C-64.

But I personally find the CPC cute.

I only had the ZX and it was pretty cool for the time. (except for the extreme loading times and strange keyboard layout)

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Atari 8 bit. One thing I really like about it is that most of its best games are available on cartridge, and getting a system like the XEGS makes it really easy to play them all. With systems like the Commodore 64 if you want a shot at a lot of its best games you have to track down floppy drives and tape drives and such, plus you have to actually start them from command line and wait for them to load. The Atari XEGS is essentially just plug and play; it's still compatible with tape and disc drives for those willing to put up with the hassle but it's not necessary to get a lot of utility from the system.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Atari 8 bit.famicommander

Atari 800 was pretty dang impressive for a late 70s computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfouuznWOUA

Let's not forget the IBM PC was not even out yet and most computers were expensive machines with no color graphics.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

Do you know what classic means? I highly doubt less than 25 years ago is "classic" in terms of electronics. 5 years from now sure.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
IBM PC, C64/Family, and Atari computers were the best classics.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Classic computer games- Ghostbusters M.U.L.E. Summer Games Winter Games Pitstop Miner 2049er Spy vs Spy Boulder Dash Pinball Construction Set Alley Cat Choplifter Stellar 7 Skyfox Beach Head Ultima Wizardry Wasteland Jumpman Lode Runner Castle Wolfenstein
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] It says classics, most of your list is around 4th gen console era. Other than MSX., which is g's poll limitations fault.NationProtector

Do you know what classic means?

I highly doubt less than 25 years ago is "classic" in terms of electronics. 5 years from now sure.

All the computers I mentioned were first released over 25 years ago (besides the FM Towns, which is technically 24 years old)...

BBC Micro (1981)

NEC PC-88 (1981)

NEC PC-98 (1982)

Fujitsu FM-7 (1982)

Sharp X1 (1982)

Acorn Electron (1983)

MSX (1983)

Atari ST (1985)

Commodore Amiga (1985)

Sharp X68000 (1987)

Fujitsu FM Towns (1989)

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NationProtector

Jag85

Do you know what classic means?

I highly doubt less than 25 years ago is "classic" in terms of electronics. 5 years from now sure.

All the computers I mentioned were first released over 25 years ago (besides the FM Towns, which is technically 24 years old)...

BBC Micro (1981)

NEC PC-88 (1981)

NEC PC-98 (1982)

Fujitsu FM-7 (1982)

Sharp X1 (1982)

Acorn Electron (1983)

MSX (1983)

Atari ST (1985)

Commodore Amiga (1985)

Sharp X68000 (1987)

Fujitsu FM Towns (1989)

So yes you admitted my exact point. You also decided to forget my other one, where I said for the rest it's GS's fault.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] Do you know what classic means?

I highly doubt less than 25 years ago is "classic" in terms of electronics. 5 years from now sure.NationProtector

BBC Micro (1981)

NEC PC-88 (1981)

NEC PC-98 (1982)

Fujitsu FM-7 (1982)

Sharp X1 (1982)

Acorn Electron (1983)

MSX (1983)

Atari ST (1985)

Commodore Amiga (1985)

Sharp X68000 (1987)

Fujitsu FM Towns (1989)

So yes you admitted my exact point. You also decided to forget my other one, where I said for the rest it's GS's fault.

Firstly, your definition of "classic" makes no sense to begin with. In gaming terms, 20 years is a very long time, almost half the lifespan of the video game industry's history.

Secondly, even according to your definition, nearly all the computers I mentioned are still "classic", contradicting your previous claim that "most of your list is around 4th gen console era."

And finally, nowhere was I blaming you for not being able to include those computers due to the poll limit. That would just be unrealistic expectations.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] It says classics, most of your list is around 4th gen console era. Other than MSX., which is g's poll limitations fault.NationProtector

Do you know what classic means? I highly doubt less than 25 years ago is "classic" in terms of electronics. 5 years from now sure.

The word "classic" doesn't carry any specific quantity of years, even if you chose to infer one. If you want to limit the selection to a specific set of years then go right ahead, but don't act like other people are willfully ignorant because they didn't make the same assumptions as you regarding what "classic" means.

-Byshop

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NationProtector

Byshop

The word "classic" doesn't carry any specific quantity of years, even if you chose to infer one. If you want to limit the selection to a specific set of years then go right ahead, but don't act like other people are willfully ignorant because they didn't make the same assumptions as you regarding what "classic" means.

-Byshop

There actually is, but you seemed like the other one, to missed the whole 5 options point, because selective reading.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

There actually is, but you seemed like the other one, to missed the whole 5 options point, because selective reading.NationProtector
I know that the proper use of commas can be challenging, but keep at it! You'll get it someday. I have faith in you.

I'd go c64 from the list. I had a PCjr back in the day and while it had 16 color graphics and multichannel sound the game support was abysmal. Only a handful of Sierra titles actually supported the jr's proprietary graphics and sound.

-Byshop

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] There actually is, but you seemed like the other one, to missed the whole 5 options point, because selective reading.Byshop

I know that the proper use of commas can be challenging, but keep at it! You'll get it someday. I have faith in you.

I'd go c64 from the list. I had a PCjr back in the day and while it had 16 color graphics and multichannel sound the game support was abysmal. Only a handful of Sierra titles actually supported the jr's proprietary graphics and sound.

-Byshop

Multi-channel needs a Hyphen, but I believe you will get grammar correct one of theses days! I believe in you! So as I was saying, only 5 choices in the poll. C64 seems to be the popular choice. It seems most older computer game players on this site are from Europe by a large margin.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jag85

So as I was saying, only 5 choices in the poll. C64 seems to be the popular choice. It seems most older computer game players on this site are from Europe by a large margin.NationProtector

Well, that much is true. Many of us European gamers began gaming on home computers. The C64 was pretty much my introduction to video games.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]So as I was saying, only 5 choices in the poll. C64 seems to be the popular choice. It seems most older computer game players on this site are from Europe by a large margin.Jag85

Well, that much is true. Many of us European gamers began gaming on home computers. The C64 was pretty much my introduction to video games.

Sadly, being an american, my introduction to video games was nintendo. And in fact, I had not even heard of any of the home computers like the C64, Amiga, and Atari ST, and whatnot untill youtube came around.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]So as I was saying, only 5 choices in the poll. C64 seems to be the popular choice. It seems most older computer game players on this site are from Europe by a large margin.AlexKidd5000

Sadly, being an american, my introduction to video games was nintendo. And in fact, I had not even heard of any of the home computers like the C64, Amiga, and Atari ST, and whatnot untill youtube came around.

While they might have been more popular in Europe, they certainly were around in the US. I grew up around New York and I knew about all of these. We even had Apple IIes at many of the schools I went to.

-Byshop

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="Jag85"]

Byshop

While they might have been more popular in Europe, they certainly were around in the US. I grew up around New York and I knew about all of these. We even had Apple IIes at many of the schools I went to.

-Byshop

IIRC, the Apple II was quite popular in the US, along with the IBM PC. On the other hand, it seems the C64, Amiga, and Atari ST, were not as well known in the US as they were in Europe.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] Sadly, being an american, my introduction to video games was nintendo. And in fact, I had not even heard of any of the home computers like the C64, Amiga, and Atari ST, and whatnot untill youtube came around.Jag85

-Byshop

IIRC, the Apple II was quite popular in the US, along with the IBM PC. On the other hand, it seems the C64, Amiga, and Atari ST, were not as well known in the US as they were in Europe.

That might have been regional. I never knew anyone who owned an Amiga, personally, but I knew a -lot- of people who opted for the cheaper C64 over the IBM PC/jr/AT/XT/etc. My mom worked for IBM, so that decision was obvious for us. :P

The only place I ever saw an Amiga would be at the boutique computer shops (that used to exist) where they'd have something like Shadow of the Beast running in demo and I'd be so "wowed" that I wouldn't want to leave the store. I was probably just barely in my teens when the first SotB came out.

-Byshop