What was Sony thinking with Drive Club?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

I'm a little confused, why did Sony feel the need to develop a new racer when they already have the best selling racer in the world? Why not make an RPG instead? The main Final Fantasy games aren't Sony exclusive anymore, I'd love to see another Legend of Dragoon type game from Sony... although realistically it would be some Skyrim ripoff instead.

TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
One of Sony's racing game devs making a new type of racing game? Yeah, that makes no sense at all :roll: As for Drive Club, Im interested in it to some extent but worried about the role and focus the challenges have in the game. A pure online team racing game with only proper races would be good for the type of thing sony are trying to go with but I suspect the challenges will ruin any chance of that
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

We DO NOT need more RPG's TC, we need more racing games. How many racing games can you actually name coming out in the near future?

Thank you Sony for Drive Club. We need a lot more driving games and fewer RPG's.

Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
From what I can tell from the presentation is that this game will try to cover the complete driving experience, instead of just load you right behind the driving seat. The makers of Gran Turismo have done so many mistakes with GT5 (constant delays, long loading times, lack of certain brands, horrible hood camera angle etc) . Sony didn't want to risk another long development cycle from PD again so I think they are betting on a second racing game in the hopes that PD will learn from their past mistakes. I mean what's the point of a thousand cars if like 25 of them are Nissan skyline's. I'm actually exited for drive club. As for Rpg's, I was never into Final Fantasy but I'm a hardcore Dark Souls fan so I'm already happy with Dark Souls 2 announcement :).
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#5 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Because they had something for everyone

Sandbox (infamous)

RPG (Deep Down)

Racer (Drive Club)

platforming (Knack)

shooter (Killzone)

etc

They covered their bases for the PS4 launch. Makes perfect sense to me.

mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Probably because GT takes a long time to develop, or Polyphony does anyway.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

Because they had something for everyone

Sandbox (infamous)

RPG (Deep Down)

Racer (Drive Club)

platforming (Knack)

shooter (Killzone)

etc

They covered their bases for the PS4 launch. Makes perfect sense to me.

AzelKosMos

Actually you make a very good point.  I must say that while I'm probably going to miss buying the next gen consile, I was looking at Drive Club, and thinking that they seem to be going for the total driving experience as it's not just click on the race to start, then a loading screen till you start the race but you do a couple of the  pre-race rituals (fastening  seat belt, etc)  maybe not a big deal but for me seems like they are trying to make this a racing game, but make it different than everything else currently available. 

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#8 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I don't see a problem with Drive Club, technically looking superb. Though it doesn't appeal to me so much because of the emphasis on team play, and I prefer solo experiences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

This will probably be more of a mix between arcade and sim ala Forza Horizon. It wont be direct competition for the GT series

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

This will probably be more of a mix between arcade and sim ala Forza Horizon. It wont be direct competition for the GT series

Vatusus

If it is exclusive to PS4 I can imagine them wanting this to be the marquee driving title for this gen of console, maybe if you are right and it is a mix between arcade and sim it would be sufficiently different to offer players another top racing title to play with just enough to make it different that GT. 

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#11 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Given GT's recent history of looooong developmental times, they needed a little something for everyone. As others have said. There was absolutely no expectation of GT6 being a launch title for this console, so why hold back a studio that gave them something special with the PS3 launch? I loved Motorstorm. I am hoping this will encompass a variety of racing genres. Car combat(Motorstorm), Sim(GT) and Rally(WRC).

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

It's a little too close to Gran Turismo for my liking. We will be getting Gran Turismo 6 in a couple of years, so why give us Drive Club? And why spent hours obsessively getting every detail on the car right? Why try to beat Gran Turismo when you are on the same team? What about damage? Surely they cant have damage when they focused so much on getting the details right. 

It was a very poor reveal and I dont blame people who arent excited about it. 

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

It's too early for me to judge. I can't really blame them though for at least thinking about expanding on the genre.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

whats wrong with drive club? looked pretty good but i guess nothing too amazing. i guess GT5 has spoiled me but i hope drive club is more sim type of gameplay rather than arcade. the team racing is cool and all but i can already see the online abuse and constant crashing BS that you see in other online racing games. i hope they find a way to make it fair. GT6 will come out eventually anyway but its gonna take forever.

so was deep down confirmed to be an rpg? i can't help but get my hopes up for this game after playing dragons dogma ive seen the potential that capcom has to make an amazing rpg. i thought dragons dogma had potential to be one of the greatest rpgs of all time but they were missing some really key things and it was unfortunate.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I don't see a problem with Drive Club, technically looking superb. Though it doesn't appeal to me so much because of the emphasis on team play, and I prefer solo experiences.

Venom_Raptor

I prefer Single player experiences but Team play is how real racing is with an owner and then they hire multiple drivers per team and then each team tries to get as close to first place as possible and they help each other out.

OceansBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OceansBloom
Member since 2011 • 91 Posts
To cover their bases. I'm not into it, but it makes sense.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts
I'm looking to go with the most realistic racing sims available right now (i.e. rFactor 2, Grand Prix Legends, etc.) or in the future, which probably, unfortunately, will never make it to consoles (including the PS4) because of being too niche a genre. So, unless this game really, really delivers with getting the closest to realism for a console racing sim (while also not being too bogged down with catering to both hardcore and casual racers), it likely won't interest me.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Because racers are good sellers and clearly gt6 is not ready yet?
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Out of everything they showed I was least impressed with Drive Club, then  again I am not a racing simulator fan.

I think at launch they want to make sure they have games for everyone. Which is smart.

CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

I'm not a racer fan, so it doesn't appeal to me.  But it looks like a decent launch title to me.  

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think it looks interesting
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Why should we have multiple, similar feeling RPGs but be restricted to only one racer?

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lild1425

Seeing as this is the MotorStorm devs, this can be either really good or really bad. I have only played MotorStorm 1, but that was really shallow. The gameplay, overall idea, and graphics were superb, but it got boring really really fast.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 S0lidSnake

Seeing as this is the MotorStorm devs, this can be either really good or really bad. I have only played MotorStorm 1, but that was really shallow. The gameplay, overall idea, and graphics were superb, but it got boring really really fast.

lild1425

Motorstorm was indeed a shallow and rushed launch game, but Pacific Rift and Apocalypse are two of the best arcade racers ever made. Nothing shallow or repetitive about them. 

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lild1425

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

S0lidSnake

Motorstorm was indeed a shallow and rushed launch game, but Pacific Rift and Apocalypse are two of the best arcade racers ever made. Nothing shallow or repetitive about them. 

Yesssss. I Just ordered Apoc for next to nothing used. I can't wait to play it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12321 Posts

Because Evolution Studios is a racing developer. They aren't going to develop Motorstorm forever.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="lild1425"]

lild1425

Yesssss. I Just ordered Apoc for next to nothing used. I can't wait to play it.

Good man. Pick up Pacific Rift too. It's more traditional than Apocalypse, but has some fantastic tracks. 

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
Don't want to start a new thread, but is it fair to expect the Porsche's appearance in this game?
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
You want them to compete with Forza or do you want one or two racing sims per generation?
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I am hoping it is more of a street racing game like NFSU2.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

I'm a little confused, why did Sony feel the need to develop a new racer when they already have the best selling racer in the world? Why not make an RPG instead? The main Final Fantasy games aren't Sony exclusive anymore, I'd love to see another Legend of Dragoon type game from Sony... although realistically it would be some Skyrim ripoff instead.

istuffedsunny
did you see who is developing this game? you want the makers of motorstorm who wanted to make a racing game...an rpg? lol yea good joke
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Jerell_rast"]From what I can tell from the presentation is that this game will try to cover the complete driving experience, instead of just load you right behind the driving seat. The makers of Gran Turismo have done so many mistakes with GT5 (constant delays, long loading times, lack of certain brands, horrible hood camera angle etc) . Sony didn't want to risk another long development cycle from PD again so I think they are betting on a second racing game in the hopes that PD will learn from their past mistakes. I mean what's the point of a thousand cars if like 25 of them are Nissan skyline's. I'm actually exited for drive club. As for Rpg's, I was never into Final Fantasy but I'm a hardcore Dark Souls fan so I'm already happy with Dark Souls 2 announcement :).

looks like gt5 and drive club are 2 different types of games. drive club is like the nfs or forza horizon for sony....
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
After the recent "leak" of GT6 being a PS3 title, I can kind of see why they felt the need to make this game. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad but it's essentially next-gen filler until GT7. Still, I'm baffled as to why Sony isn't developing a first party RPG after losing FF to MS.
hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
After the recent "leak" of GT6 being a PS3 title, I can kind of see why they felt the need to make this game. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad but it's essentially next-gen filler until GT7. Still, I'm baffled as to why Sony isn't developing a first party RPG after losing FF to MS.istuffedsunny
Who wouldn't want a good RPG? But the problem is, it's harder to make a great RPG and a generic one just simply won't sell.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#35 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts
[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]After the recent "leak" of GT6 being a PS3 title, I can kind of see why they felt the need to make this game. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad but it's essentially next-gen filler until GT7. Still, I'm baffled as to why Sony isn't developing a first party RPG after losing FF to MS.hoplayletsplay
Who wouldn't want a good RPG? But the problem is, it's harder to make a great RPG and a generic one just simply won't sell.

Me and many others? GIve us a great racing game instead.