what system might be worth getting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
i was thinking of geting something like a ps1 because it has sequals to alot of the cool snes games... but the dream cast has soulcalibur and saturn has nights wich all sound really cool...
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Get a PS2 and play all the great PS1 AND PS2 games. That's what I say.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

ps2 for sure but DC and saturn arent gonna be as good because the games for saturn are rare and expensive and the dc games are already ported

fubbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 377

#4 fubbal
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts

Honestly I would go for a ps1.The only reason for this is because its cheaper and you can find the games you would want for cheaper.On the other hand some of the sega saturn greats can run as much as 299.99 and thats no joke.The Dreamcast was an awsome console also and I would say that one second if you you can find the games you want.I'm more partial to sega but like I said finding the consoles and then the stuff you need with them and the games can be a real head ache.Thats why I wish sega would re-release some of that stuff...although I doubt they will I can always dream.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Get a PS2 and play all the great PS1 AND PS2 games. That's what I say.

amsfm6

This and make sure you buy a PS1 memory card to save your PS1 games.

levis315315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 levis315315
Member since 2010 • 43 Posts
ps2 for sure
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

i was thinking of geting something like a ps1 because it has sequals to alot of the cool snes games... but the dream cast has soulcalibur and saturn has nights wich all sound really cool...kingdavid562

ps1 > ps2

So get a ps2 because then you'll have the library of 2 systems to acquire. If you've never had either, even buying a new ps2 is worth it. I really want to say to go for a Saturn, because the longer you wait the more difficult it will be to find one in decent condition, but the games are harder to come by. The ebay/amazon scene is almost pointless. Goodwill and indie game stores are the way to go--they don't ever reach the astronomical prices that ebay does. I've been looking for a Saturn in good condition, but its been difficult. The saturn also has quite a few game genres that aren't a focus anymore, so it has its purpose even among consoles today.

Dreamcast is sweet, but I remember hearing a rumor that dreamcast games were maybe going to be downloadable at some point?

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kingdavid562
by the way... i dont just mean those 3... what system might be worth geting?... which is your favorite..lol
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#9 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Pretty much any system is worth getting if it has enough games you actually want to play on it.

If you like 2d platformers and fighters, the Genesis and Super Nintendo will suit you well.

for original 3d games, the N64 and PS1 will be good for you.

And for something a little more powerful than them, the Dreamcast.

It really all boils down to what you want from a console.

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I'd say the Saturn was more worth owning. I'm not saying its library is better (although it certainly holds its own), but the thing with PS1 games is that they are easily playable on a PS2 or PS3 anyway so there seems little point in owning the original system unless you're either a collector or very nostalgic for it.

Blackbase88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blackbase88
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

Ps2 and also some good games on the First xbox aswell like Morrowind ect. but i would go for the ps2.

Dudewrsmygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dudewrsmygame
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

I'd say DC but the idea of getting the gamesmakes me get tired already.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

Picking one system is impossible. Get a PS2, NES, SNES, Genesis (There are tri console things that play all 3 of these that run NES games much better than the old grey box did), SNES and Dreamcast

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

definitely go for ps2

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
I agree with what a lot of others have said here. Get a PS2. You can pick one up used for like $50 and it plays both PS1 and PS2 games, so you get two systems in one PLUS a DVD-player. Between the Saturn and the Dreamcast alone, I'd say Dreamcast. The games have less load time, they have better graphics, and there are just as unique of titles on the Dreamcast as there are on Saturn, and there are Saturn sequels on the Dreamcast. -Nate-
MrAmolou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrAmolou
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts
PS2 would definatly be worth it. I really want a SNES! Time to hit Ebay :P
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#17 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
If you have a SNES and a NES, I'd say the PS2, so you can have the biggest game library possible. Otherwise Genesis if you want to keep kicking it oldschool.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
AES, and TG16.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Emerald_Warrior
^ Hey guys, those weren't options. He's trying to choose between PS1, Dreamcast, and Saturn. -Nate-
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingdavid562
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]^ Hey guys, those weren't options. He's trying to choose between PS1, Dreamcast, and Saturn. -Nate-

actualy bellow my first post i put something that said any system...lol
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kingdavid562
[QUOTE="kingdavid562"]by the way... i dont just mean those 3... what system might be worth geting?... which is your favorite..lol

right here...lol
Avatar image for stephejr_bounty
stephejr_bounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stephejr_bounty
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I think if you own a PS2 and a Wii you can conquer the world. PS2-- great library of games + PS1 compatibility. Plus all kinds of retro titles -- Genesis collection, Midway 1,2,3, Namco, SNK, Street Fighter anthology, etc etc etc etc Wii -- instant access to GameCube games plus the viritual console to tap into the best of the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and on and on and on and on!
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

What SNES sequals were you looking for? You may be better served with a saturn. Dreamcast is a console that I feel can be recommended to anyone and everyone, it has tons of interesting exclusive games that were not ported as well as many that were.

Avatar image for evo4x4hardcore8
evo4x4hardcore8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 evo4x4hardcore8
Member since 2010 • 320 Posts

Dreamcast.

You will not regret it.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Emerald_Warrior

Dreamcast.

You will not regret it.

evo4x4hardcore8
Great system, with great games. But there is a problem, at least where I live there is. There is very little selection of games available, and most of the ones I do find are bad ones. Of course there's still Amazon and EBay, but I personally like to buy my games in a physical store where I can inspect them before I buy them. Although I did get both Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm and Skies of Arcadia without the internet's help, still only 2 exceptions though. -Nate-
neptunegears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 neptunegears
Member since 2010 • 82 Posts

A Sega Saturn (though it's the more expensive of the 3 to fill out); the Panzer Dragoon series (Zwei [one of the best 3D shooters ever made IMO] and Saga [a very original RPG, both in terms of gameplay and style] are classics), NiGHTS (as you said), Burning Rangers (an addictive, futuristic firefighting game from Sonic Team), Guardian Heroes (a side-scrolling beat'em up from Treasure with insane replay value and unlockables - and is fun as hell on multiplayer), the Virtua Cop games (still incredibly fun [light gun needed], unlike Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, which have aged badly IMO), the Shining Force games (Wisdom [Action RPG], Holy Ark [First-Person RPG] and III [Strategy RPG], Dragon Force (an excellent Real-Time Strategy RPG), Shinobi Legions (epic ninja side-scroller), Mr. Bones (epic guitar-wielding skeleton side-scroller), as well as a whole slew of 2D fighters and shooters (SHMUPS). If you buy the console, you'll also want to get a Backup Memory Cartridge, as the internal battery of the console will die and you'll lose all of your saves. Have fun!

*Other noteworthy games: Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Astal, Herc's Adventures, The Legend of Oasis, Mystara: The Realms of Lore, Saturn Bomberman

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
You should get PS2 that it will play with PS1 games. You should get Dreamcast because it has several good to great fighting games like Dead or Alive 2, Marvel vs Capcom 1-2, and others.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

A Sega Saturn (though it's the more expensive of the 3 to fill out); the Panzer Dragoon series (Zwei [one of the best 3D shooters ever made IMO] and Saga [a very original RPG, both in terms of gameplay and style] are classics), NiGHTS (as you said), Burning Rangers (an addictive, futuristic firefighting game from Sonic Team), Guardian Heroes (a side-scrolling beat'em up from Treasure with insane replay value and unlockables - and is fun as hell on multiplayer), the Virtua Cop games (still incredibly fun [light gun needed], unlike Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, which have aged badly IMO), the Shining Force games (Wisdom [Action RPG], Holy Ark [First-Person RPG] and III [Strategy RPG], Dragon Force (an excellent Real-Time Strategy RPG), Shinobi Legions (epic ninja side-scroller), Mr. Bones (epic guitar-wielding skeleton side-scroller), as well as a whole slew of 2D fighters and shooters (SHMUPS). If you buy the console, you'll also want to get a Backup Memory Cartridge, as the internal battery of the console will die and you'll lose all of your saves. Have fun!

*Other noteworthy games: Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Astal, Herc's Adventures, The Legend of Oasis, Mystara: The Realms of Lore, Saturn Bomberman

neptunegears
I agree with you on many of your picks. But many of the games you named for Saturn are really overpriced, as is the memory backup cart. You can always just replace the battery, it's very easy to get to, you don't have to take apart the Saturn at all. While on the other hand, most PS1 and Dreamcast games are quite affordable. So if money isn't an option, then get a Saturn, if your on a budget, Saturn is the last system you'd want. -Nate-